Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It sure is quiet in here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 63>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 8:08pm
I asked my old firewood guy if he had a good summer, not so much.

I think he is in his mid 70s. He said, he had to have 8 inches of his intestine removed.

DAMN! Cutting down trees and splitting logs is NOT easy work!

I think that was last winter. Then, on a hunting trip out west, he was bitten by a tick.

No! Not Lymes disease but something worse.  The medication for that gave him colitis!

I like the old guy and talking with him. Plus, he is an excellent firewood connection. He sent me to another pile of wood just to give me something beyond what I paid for. Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 8:20pm
^^^See what you have to look forward to?Wink
And those are just a few 'discomforts'!

Wait until you find out why people buy 'Depends' or you start experiencing uncontrollable, leaky IBS.

Maybe someone will ask you who you are talking to when you are SURE you aren't talking.

Maybe you will get tired of people asking, "May I help you, Sir?", as you stand in a park, just admiring the view, taking in deep breaths, and appreciating the fleeting moments because you know you can't taste, touch, or smell when you're dead.

Maybe you fart without caring, breathing a sigh of relief after each fart, rather than saying, "excuse me".

Maybe you fart every time you bend over.

Life's a gas when you get old. Take it from me - I'm taking notes and watching as Thor & Jimbo slowly slide into dementia...WinkLOL
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 8:25pm
^It does make me want to treat my body better. Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 8:29pm
Winkoh no - nothing you can do to slow the inevitable. Wait until you start crapping 3-4 times a day, but get to the toilet only 2-3 times a day.
I understand there are secrets to going ancient and 'remaining clean'. I'm so happy I'm young.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 10:48pm
At this point, I have nothing like that.  In fact, no age-related problems yet at all.  So far, I just hate the way it looks.  I fear I'm starting to get the "old man baboon tits" as my young co-worker Obed calls them.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:09pm
Moobs.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:36pm

Good point. Who wants to be first to change their board name to 'Moobs'?

I'll send $1 to whomever goes first, other than one certain critter.

~~~

Ya know, *I* like it when I just lean over my desk - kind of 'V-shape' my body - and it squeezes all the air out of me. Sometimes it is a long, high-pitched squealer, other times, it sounds just like a small, rowboat-sized Evenrude outboard. Either way, I've been meaning to check the scales and record nody weight, pre-fart and after-fart.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 8:12pm

I'm having to put Leah's comfort ahead of my own...she wants out at 12:30 this morning.

OK! You big old dog. It took me at least an hour to get back to sleep.

Then, and I shouldn't bitch about our old bitch, she gets me up at 2:30.

It's hard to get angry with her. I think she knows that she may not be on this earth much longer.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:14pm
Best wishes for Leah.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 9:45pm
Sorry to hear about Leah - I know how you feel - and no matter what you do, when it is that time and YOU decide to take action, you may find yourself second-guessing the actions you had to take, you might feel some guilt. I mention it simply as 'been there, done that' - and really, I hope you folks don't go there, but rather know the decision you choose to make, whatever it may be, is the 'right' one

All my pups are with me every day, sitting on my desk - in little polished wooden boxes with gold plaques. I've a f**king graveyard all around my computers...Confused
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:27pm

Yesterday afternoon, she followed me inside from her dog run. The outdoor concrete is rough, good traction.

As soon as she hit the garage floor (a much smoother surface) she does her bullfrog squat.

This morning, she was feeling really playful, she spun around and even on the carpeting her back legs went out. How do I know when to stop her suffering? How could we even think about putting this dog, that is still very sharp and alive at the front end, yet barely able to walk down?

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:07pm
Sorry to hear about Leah.

The real problem is determining whether or not she actually is suffering, or simply getting old and weak. It's not really any different than a person getting older and needing a scooter to get around Walmart... sure, their legs don't work the way they used to, but aside from pride issues, they're really not suffering. Not from an "in pain" standpoint anyway. I may end up on a scooter... but that doesn't mean I'm ready to check out unless I'm in unmanageable and/or constant pain.

I had to help my old dog up for well over a year before he started to show signs that he was in pain. Same thing, his back legs would go weak and sometimes he couldn't stand on his own. But, help him up and he'd be fine until he hit something slick. Eventually he started grunting and whining, shortly thereafter you could kind of see it in his eyes. It was time.

If you haven't already, get her some glucosamine, it worked wonders for Griz (hip dysplasia). I got Nutrivet online (petsmart) and crushed it up in Griz's food. Also think about getting her to the vet for some rimadil (sp), a chewable pain medicine. It's at least worth a try to see if she improves.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Sorry to hear about Leah.

The real problem is determining whether or not she actually is suffering, or simply getting old and weak. It's not really any different than a person getting older and needing a scooter to get around Walmart... sure, their legs don't work the way they used to, but aside from pride issues, they're really not suffering. Not from an "in pain" standpoint anyway. I may end up on a scooter... but that doesn't mean I'm ready to check out unless I'm in unmanageable and/or constant pain.

I had to help my old dog up for well over a year before he started to show signs that he was in pain. Same thing, his back legs would go weak and sometimes he couldn't stand on his own. But, help him up and he'd be fine until he hit something slick. Eventually he started grunting and whining, shortly thereafter you could kind of see it in his eyes. It was time.

If you haven't already, get her some glucosamine, it worked wonders for Griz (hip dysplasia). I got Nutrivet online (petsmart) and crushed it up in Griz's food. Also think about getting her to the vet for some rimadil (sp), a chewable pain medicine. It's at least worth a try to see if she improves.
Thanks, Darth. And good to see you on the forum again.

I made my wife read your post. I almost called the Vet today to see if there were any short term treatments for her. She is old and not worthy of a lot of end of life spending. I hate to put it like that.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 9:38pm
I'm with Darth.  She's just old.

And yes, if you can find something that will alleviate her physical discomfort without too much expense, do so.  When Killer went bad that fateful day, the vet gave me info on what they could try on him, but that there weren't any guarantees these things would work...and besides, this could happen all over again.  She was telling me (without actually saying it) that it was time to put him down.  We both knew it.  And Killer himself was frightened and in agony.  You'll know, also, when it's Leah's time.  Talk to your vet.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 10:06pm
The glucosamine would cost about 10 bucks a month if you're interested. 25 bucks for a bottle of 150, and if memory serves I was giving Griz 2 a day. I say get on Amazon and get a bottle just to see. Never know, old girl might have a couple of years left in her.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 4:33am
I agree with Darth. I've heard any number of testimonials about the wonders of glucosamine and dogs.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 8:20pm
I found this at Walmart, it's too early to tell if it is helping.

Mama, is not optimistic. I told her about the recent incidents.

When she comes out here from the bedroom this morning she says..."You better go check on your dog".

My heart dropped, oh no!  She just wanted to sleep some more. Same old wobbly girl, different day.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 9:49pm
I have to give a shout out to the big ole Darthillbilly!

We are seeing the remarkable sight of less whining, more playful and just a general state of more control of her hind legs.  Thank you!

Edit:  I have owned 4 German Shepherds in my lifetime.

The loss of each of them was devastating, losing Leah will be the worst of all.

I guess as I age, I appreciate the good things in life more.
Leah was raised to be a 'watch dog'. She takes her job very seriously.

Here, she is (helping me) fold a tarp.  We love her so!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 10:11pm
My sister tried that stuff with her Chihuahua, but it didn't work.

Spent a ton on surgery, and now spends a ton on some special diet.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

We are seeing the remarkable sight of less whining, more playful and just a general state of more control of her hind legs.  Thank you!

Glad to hear! Thumbs Up
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 8:08pm
Leah is still kinda wobbly, but she is hanging in there.

How in the hell do I spend $78 at the grocery store this morning, the budget is tight.

4 light bulbs     9.99  Ouch
Nyquil              8.49  It helps me sleep and I have a chronic cough from smoking.
Potatoes          3.99
Dog food         12.99  The Vet told us to give her a lamb and rice formula, this is a small bag because I don't know how long she has.
Folgers             7.99  My classic roast coffee. I have increased my serving from 6 to 8 cups.
Swiffer              4.49  It would be easy to give these up.
Gevalia             8.49  This is Mama's Mocha Latte
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:57pm
I'm watching the Detroit vs Chicago game, if da Bears could beat them, that could help the Packers!

Mama made a batch of 'Rotten Potatoes' LOL in the crock pot. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:15pm
I don't like the snow anymore, it's too much work.

It's fun when Leah comes in as 'the snow dog', we grab a towel out of the hamper and wipe the snow off of her.

We would have to put some money into this house in order to sell it, carpeting and maybe painting too.

The taxes are too high for us to stay here. Mama is retiring in February, our income will be cut by 50%.

I need to apply for my own benefits, we should get a much better rate on health insurance.
It sucks getting old!  But I still have a little fun here and there. Tongue
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I don't like the snow anymore, it's too much work.

It's fun when Leah comes in as 'the snow dog', we grab a towel out of the hamper and wipe the snow off of her.

We would have to put some money into this house in order to sell it, carpeting and maybe painting too.

The taxes are too high for us to stay here. Mama is retiring in February, our income will be cut by 50%.

I need to apply for my own benefits, we should get a much better rate on health insurance.

It sucks getting old!  But I still have a little fun here and there. Tongue

Move to Florida.

Real estate is affordable and taxes are low.

No state income tax either.

I'm sitting here with the doors and windows open, wearing shorts, no shirt and barefooted with the fan blowing on me.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:58pm
Florida, would be nice and not out of the question.

The wife and I would need to talk about it, all of her family lives around here.

My brother is confused and almost moved to Iowa, now I hear he is buying some property near Columbus, IN.  I/We may go back there. We just don't know.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 63>
  Share Topic