Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Other people's habits that drive you crazy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Other people's habits that drive you crazy!
    Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 11:59pm
So I'm reading Prudie over at Slate and there is a question about a "hair twirler" and her boyfriend. Boyfriend aks her to quit twirling, she intentionally starts doing it 24/7, and he leaves the room when she does. I was SO sympathetic to the boyfriend not because hair twirling bothers me but several other things do: knuckle-popping, flip-flops noise (constantly and in inappropriate places), people who chew their nails/cuticles. If I can get away from them I do.

BTW, just recently my boss has been using a laptop in same area I work in, and I noticed that he "taps" it. Not just a little, whenever he touches the mousepad, he taps. It is a tap, tap, tap on a little metal surface. He does NOT use the computer without tapping. And sit here with clenched teeth. It just seems petty to say something but if this continues and happens even more, I will have to put a stick in my mouth to keep me quiet. Also, is it better for you laptop if you do the tap, tap, tap thing? I have never seen anyone else use it this way--however, in his defense, if he read it in a reputable place he would feel compelled to do it.

Any other's bothered by fellow man's habits?
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 1:44am

People (always males) who spit regularly and for no real reason.  Are they marking their territory or something?  I think I tried the behavior on for size when I was about 8, but thanks to Mom and Dad, it didn't last too long.  I thought it looked cool and tough.  Maybe that's why guys still do it even as adults??

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 1:50am
My son belches like a giant rabid bull. I HATE that sound.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 11:16am
At my local convenience store, this clerk really bugs me. I don't know maybe he is slow and I should not make fun of him. He speaks so fast that often I have say (laughing) what?!.
I can be standing there, plastic pen in hand to sign for the transaction and he still has to say....
"signyournameandpushenterdoyouwantareceipt"thankyouhaveaniceday"  Aaaah!  Would you like to buy a fkin syllable?

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 2:49pm
Maybe the convenience store clerk moonlights a second job as an auctioneer .
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by DARK FATHER DARK FATHER wrote:

Maybe the convenience store clerk moonlights a second job as an auctioneer .
LOL  If he were to add some random numbers yes, that's exactly how he sounds.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 3:08pm
I used to sit by myself where I work and OMG, that was pure bliss. Now I sit with another lady and she's very nice EXCEPT...

She has a habit of either clearing her throat all day (hemm hemm ha ha hemm) accompanied by sniffling snot all day. For the love of all that's holy, BLOW YER GODDAMN NOSE. That sound goes through me worse than nails on a chalkboard.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 4:37pm
Madawee, in her defence, she could have some deep nasal congestion. I have it now and again, and sniffling is all I can do to clear it up. I've tried blowing my nose until I felt ready to pass out and none of that stuff ever got close to coming out. It was more successful to sniffle and try to inhale it back down to my throat where I could just swallow it.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 4:47pm
Yummy!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

People (always males) who spit regularly and for no real reason.  Are they marking their territory or something?  I think I tried the behavior on for size when I was about 8, but thanks to Mom and Dad, it didn't last too long.  I thought it looked cool and tough.  Maybe that's why guys still do it even as adults??

I had some friends that chewed tobbaco.  Skoal, I think they called that dip.
That will make you spit. I could probably hock up a pretty good luggee (that word is not in my dictionary?) for Thor and Hooty.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Madawee, in her defence, she could have some deep nasal congestion. I have it now and again, and sniffling is all I can do to clear it up. I've tried blowing my nose until I felt ready to pass out and none of that stuff ever got close to coming out. It was more successful to sniffle and try to inhale it back down to my throat where I could just swallow it.

That may very well be but she never reaches for a tissue. It's not every day which leads me to believe she just has that wet snot thing going that can easily be blown but she has to act the "I'M OH SO BUSY" part and keep snuffling it back up her snoot rather than take moment a blow her nose.

Also, I never see her go to the ladies room to pee!

maybe I sit next to an alien! And she befriended me for some reason.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 5:04pm

^  I have a friend who chews.  Doesn't bother me so much.  At least he has a reason to spit.  The spitters I'm talking about aren't people who chew tobacco or have a serious loogie.  The ones who bug me are the ones who spit for no real reason.

By the way, it's not really the gross factor.  It's the attitude factor.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 7:21pm
I used to like to force spit through the small gap between my front teeth when I was around 12.

Once I started doing it, it became a kind of habit. Sorta like an addiction.

The thing that kinda hooked me, was trying to make the spit shoot out in a long, narrow stream that kinda went "tsssssssst" when it came out. When I did it successfully, it brought a feeling of satisfaction.

I couldn't stop doing it until I finally either forced myself to or just got tired of it, I can't remember which.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 8:13pm
I used to go to a bar that had an outdoor area.  There was a regular everyone called "Bubsy" that could perform tricks with his spit.  

One of them was to to blow bubbles as big as your head, then blow another inside.  

His best one though, was to walk up to an unsuspecting girl and drop a line of spit down to her shoe, but pull it back up in his mouth before it actually hit the shoe.

Oh, the crazy ass times of my youth...LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I used to go to a bar that had an outdoor area.  There was a regular everyone called "Bubsy" that could perform tricks with his spit.  

One of them was to to blow bubbles as big as your head, then blow another inside.  

His best one though, was to walk up to an unsuspecting girl and drop a line of spit down to her shoe, but pull it back up in his mouth before it actually hit the shoe.

Oh, the crazy ass times of my youth...LOL
LOLLOLLOL
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 8:50pm
My neighbor has this really irritating habit of calling the cops every time she catches me peeking in her bedroom window at night. Unhappy

Joking aside - people who insist on chattering away while chewing food drive me nuts.  Whatever you have to say can wait.  I don't need your message delivered with the sight of your pie hole opened while filled with half chewed food.  Some of it getting spit out is almost inevitable, and quite frankly, disgusting.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I used to like to force spit through the small gap between my front teeth when I was around 12.

Once I started doing it, it became a kind of habit. Sorta like an addiction.

The thing that kinda hooked me, was trying to make the spit shoot out in a long, narrow stream that kinda went "tsssssssst" when it came out. When I did it successfully, it brought a feeling of satisfaction.

I couldn't stop doing it until I finally either forced myself to or just got tired of it, I can't remember which.

Yeah, I used to do that, too.  Shot like 20 feet.

Also used to like to hocker up pot loogies outside my dorm, then blast 'em almost straight up to the 3rd floor windows.  We had contests doing this whenever we were out there, passing joints around.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I used to do that, too.  So did my bro.  It requires a certain type of spit---thick, with no foam.

My bro used to like to pin me to the rec room floor, and lower one of those to my face, then suck it back up just before it'd reach my face, as I'd twist my head side to side, trying to avoid it.  I knew it'd eventually make landing, and I just didn't want it to land on my mouth or in my eyes.  One time I recall, it landed right in my ear.  Grossed me out.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 11:49pm
One person in particular without going into detail except she lives where I work.
She hangs around the Office all day for whatever reason. She  pops her chewing gum in between the milliseconds she shuts her mouth.
Gives me a splitting headache hearing her ramble on about everything she has, did or done.
You'd think she discovered America.
To top it off, she's always out of cell phone minutes( I wonder why)and wants to borrow someone's phone.
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 11:58pm
ARGHHH!!!  The gum popping!  The girl that used to sit next to me did that ALL DAY LONG.  She finally moved to another part of the office.  Now this other cow I work with has started the gum popping.  Really, do they think it's cute???  
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:03am
People breath too much.  Bothers the hell out of me.

As do sarcastic/irreverent responses to threads that are meant to be fairly serious.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:51am
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

People breath too much.  Bothers the hell out of me...
 LOLMy instant 'bestust friend' in the whole world!
WHY are they even allowed to consume our air?! Every day I ask myself this very question....
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 9:34pm
My brother has recently started using the word "absolutely" in almost every sentence. Instead of yes or yeah, he says "absolutely." Like WAY too often! I had lunch with him the other day, and I actually started mentally counting how many times he said it. I quit after around 15.

My ex-boyfriend did the same thing with the word "apparently." He not only said it way too often to the point of being annoying, he would use it in the wrong context often times, too. For example, he would say things like, "This spaghetti is delicious, apparently!" Ummm, you are eating it. So you know if you think it's delicious or not. I don't know why you feel the need to add the word "apparently." I don't know why, but it always grated on my nerves. 
I don't patronize bunny rabbits!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 9:58pm
^reminds me of the mother on the show, Miranda.

She constantly staples "what I call" to statements that don't need it, like that apparently.

"This spaghetti is, what I call, delicious."
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 10:54pm
Are braggarts a habit? I hate them anyway.
If I'm going to buy something, why not buy the best?
I can't drive a dirty car.
I'm getting a big, fat tax return.

Whatever.... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic