Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Everybody knows that" Geico ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Miseryguts Miseryguts wrote:

"If" is a great film. I don't think I've seen it on American TV though. But you're right about reading the books. If I hadn't read Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, I might have enjoyed Jackson's film versions more. Instead, grumpy old sod that I am, I just sat there grumbling to myself that the film just didn't match up.

By the way, for all McDowell fans, don't miss "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" that also stars Clive Owen, another, IMO, underrated actor. McDowell plays a creepy and sadistic crime boss who enjoys a bit of male rape.

I was able to add "If" to my Netflix queue. "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead sounds similar to "Villain" starring Richard Burton. Unfortunately "Villain" does not seem to have made it to DVD.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

Have you seen the latest one? Pinnochio as a motivational speaker. JUST SHOOT ME NOW!!

Yep Angry  Angry  Angry

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:22pm
This is the short version , Thank God.
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

"If" is a great film. I don't think I've seen it on American TV though. But you're right about reading the books. If I hadn't read Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, I might have enjoyed Jackson's film versions more. Instead, grumpy old sod that I am, I just sat there grumbling to myself that the film just didn't match up.

By the way, for all McDowell fans, don't miss "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" that also stars Clive Owen, another, IMO, underrated actor. McDowell plays a creepy and sadistic crime boss who enjoys a bit of male rape.

I was able to add "If" to my Netflix queue. "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead sounds similar to "Villain" starring Richard Burton. Unfortunately "Villain" does not seem to have made it to DVD.

Villain was another good film. If I remember, it starred also a young Ian MacShane. The plots are a bit different. In "I'll Sleep" Clive Owen seeks revenge against McDowell who forcibly buggered his young brother who subsequently committed suicide in his bath. Pretty grim stuff and not for those with weak stomachs.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Have you seen the latest one? Pinnochio as a motivational speaker. JUST SHOOT ME NOW!!

Yep Angry  Angry  Angry

Guess Disney will sell just about everything for a quick buck.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Yep Angry  Angry  Angry

Disney isn't the Disney we grew up with in the 60s. The story of how Walt lost control of his own business makes for pretty interesting reading.
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 2:37am
A root canal without anesthetic by a member of the criminally insane would be funnier than any of these. However, did them does not have anything in the way of a sense of humor.  The lizard and the cavemen were better ideas. This is just another excuse to cut the cable or reach for the mute button.

Whoever made these ads should give up and go back to their day job as an accountant. 
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 2:39am
I'm going to make two of these ads up on the spot:

1. Did you know that masturbating too much can make you go blind?

cut to man wearing cane and black glasses* "Damn you, overactive libido!"

2. Did you know that God and Muhammad were best friends?

cut to God and Muhammad* God- "I want everyone to know that Muhammad and I will be best friends forever, and that everyone should put their personal differences aside just like we have!"

Can I have a job, Geico Advertising? They may not be f*cking funny, but neither are your ads.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 4:17am
Every single Geico ad irritates me.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 12:52pm

Yep Angry  Angry  Angry

Disney isn't the Disney we grew up with in the 60s. The story of how Walt lost control of his own business makes for pretty interesting reading.

Isn't Pinochio public domain?(not sure that's why I ask)
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
SJames View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 11:43pm

Disney made a movie about Pinocchio 75 years ago, but they don't own the character. He never would have been in their competitor's Shrek films otherwise.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 12:14am
Pinnochio is indeed public domain, however, Disney's specific design is copyrighted (though it may have expired, actually).
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 12:23am
Pinocchio in the 1940 film was cute, but as motivational speaker? Ugly, annoying and stupid! 

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Cross Traffic View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cross Traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 2:50am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Pinnochio is indeed public domain, however, Disney's specific design is copyrighted (though it may have expired, actually).

Thanks to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Disney's Pinnochio is still copyrighted until 2035. The rule is now 95 years from publication if its a corporation.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2014 at 3:03pm
The random "Family Guy"-style bits have gotten old, esp. since it's really the same concept with a different setup. First it was the guy in front of the curtain 

-First one from a few years ago: "Could Geico save you 15% or more.....does a bear poop in the woods?" *cut to a bear pooping in the woods*
-The hipsters with the guitar from last year
-Now these. Geico will really run a joke into the ground.

The only thing that annoys me more about these ads is how the second person always says "Everybody knows that..." in such a smug tone.
The poster formerly known as producer757
iampinkcherry View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iampinkcherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
I hate the tree in woods...POINTLESS!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 7:55pm
What I want to know is, if, by their own admission "everybody" knows what Geico can do, why in the blue hell are they spending so much money on advertising to tell us about it?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 5:19pm
The worst part of these is that they KNOW the 15 minutes/15% thing is so burned out and crusty that rather than reinvent it they'd rather just poke fun at it. STOP IT! 15% is nothing and it's so played out that you need to come up with something else rather than put a patch on it.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
LooseCaboose View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseCaboose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

What I want to know is, if, by their own admission "everybody" knows what Geico can do, why in the blue hell are they spending so much money on advertising to tell us about it?

Maybe they think that repetition will attract customers. :P
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

The worst part of these is that they KNOW the 15 minutes/15% thing is so burned out and crusty that rather than reinvent it they'd rather just poke fun at it. STOP IT! 15% is nothing and it's so played out that you need to come up with something else rather than put a patch on it.

Another insurance company (Esurance I think) is now running adverts that claim that they can save you more than 15% in just 7½ minutes. Confused

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Tampon Submarine Tampon Submarine wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Another insurance company (Esurance I think) is now running adverts that claim that they can save you more than 15% in just 7½ minutes. Confused

ErmmEverybody knows that.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 2:49pm

As someone mentioned before, both these crappy insurance companies could save their customers even more if the stopped incessently making these stupid commercials and airing them every commercial break.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2014 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

Every single Geico ad irritates me.

I agree! The picture one is the worst, but now ALL Geico Commercials are getting on my nerves!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic