Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dell - "This Magic Moment" ("Beginnings")

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dell - "This Magic Moment" ("Beginnings")
    Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 3:01am
Yet another turd with a horribly sung, off-key bastardization of a classic oldie. 

Check out the comments about the commercial on this website here... 99% of them are about the song, and 90% of them are negative comments.

http://www.adfibs.com/dell-this-magic-momen-beginnings/

Sponsored Links

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 4:10am
This commercial is driving me NUTS! The notes are all wrong. How dare they bastardize a classic this way? Censored
venimdenim View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote venimdenim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 5:18pm
So happy to know there are a couple of others who can't stand this commercial.  I  haven't been on here in a while, but when i saw this commercial a few times, it inspired me to come back!  Tongue

It's a shame.  The content of the commercial is kinda interesting, but that song rendition!  What were they thinking?!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 5:36pm

From the Wiki page for "The Felice Brothers" (some Brooklyn hipster band)...

On December 30, 2013, Dell launched their commercial called “Beginnings.” It was made by Y&R, New York advertising agency. The Felice Brothers attempt to sing the song "This Magic Moment." For unexplained reasons, Dell didn't use the Jay and the Americans version of this song and opted for the tin ear rendition by The Felice Brothers. 

"attempt to"  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 5:46pm
First (and hopefully last) time I've seen that ad. The bad muzak is SO out-of-place, it almost seems it was a last minute knee-jerk reaction to add it in. This is one of those commercials where the adclams must have thought "Every commercial MUST contain music! We NEED music!".
They were wrong.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 5:47pm
I was going to start a thread on this POS ad about an hour ago, but because I've been having connection issues with my ISP, I couldn't get the video to open on iSpot, nor could I even access any threads or forums here.

Guess it's a good thing since this one already existed.

Anyway, re: the ad & the awful music... it is beyond me how anyone could've succeeded in pussifying that song even more than it already was, but here we are.

Just one more reason for me to have to keep my remote control & the mute button within quick grabbing proximity at all times!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Kim S View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2014 at 6:04pm
I had to register to also say I despise this horrifying rendition of This Magic Moment.  This is added to the list of commercials I put on mute right away, or switch channels.  Don't need my blood pressure to go up any higher. 
iraleh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iraleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 1:22am
I'm glad to see that mine is not the only skin to crawl from that horrible butchering of "This Magic Moment" both melodically and vocally. You can be sure that if I registered at this site, I really am nauseated. 
LiberryGirl View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiberryGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 1:09am
Another good song ruined. Makes me mad
jshott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jshott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 3:56pm
I tried to find out what group was responsible for this butchering of a good song. It's like this group never really heard the song before recording it. AWFUL!!!

Jay and the Americans did a really good job of covering it, but the original, by The Drifters, is still my favorite.
Chipster View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 8:10pm
I agree! Another example of why I use the mute button on my remote constantly! Either get rid of this annoying ad or edit out the moron singing "This Magic Moment". He sounds like he's either dying, stoned or constipated.
MixPickle View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixPickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 12:45am
I just joined this forum just to add my 2 cents that this is the worst rendition of any song that ever existed. A coyote howling through a tin can on a string sounds better. I hope Dell gets the message. 
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 5:22am
Lord have mercy! What the hell was that?!

These tone-deaf asshats are from Brooklyn?! Never thought my hometown would produce something so rotten.
MixPickle View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixPickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 11:07pm
@Moochmoocha ... tone-deaf asshats ... lol

One of the brothers said in a 2007 interview "We don't care if we suck."  Back then they billed themselves as hard-living outlaw country musicians. Everything from Nashville on south was insulted.

Hoagie78 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoagie78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 4:40pm
Thanks you for bringing this one up. When I hear that butchered version of the song it makes my skin crawl.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 5:59pm
After hearing this, all I can say is Dell can shove it. Deep. And on a slant.

(wow - look how many newcomers this POS brought here!) Welcome all to commercials I Hate!)
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

(wow - look how many newcomers this POS brought here!) Welcome all to commercials I Hate!)

People really hate the song.  If you look at the Youtube page or the iSpot page or the adfibs page that ChrisInMi linked, all you'll see are commenters talking about the song.  I'd say 90% of the commenters on those sites also hate the song.  No one discusses anything about the commercial but the song.

MixPickle View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixPickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by ChrisInMI ChrisInMI wrote:

Yet another turd with a horribly sung, off-key bastardization of a classic oldie. 

Check out the comments about the commercial on this website here... 99% of them are about the song, and 90% of them are negative comments.

http://www.adfibs.com/dell-this-magic-momen-beginnings/

Looks like Dell hacked in and broke that page.
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 5:22pm
This ad's "music" gives me hope that even I could make money in the singing business.
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

An excellent point! We ought to make a top ten list of ads that are so bad that they motivate the most people to find a place to express their hate for them.
Chi Rho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chi Rho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2014 at 8:48pm
Looks like hatred of this ad is trending. I joined CIH after following a long time - just to hate on this repulsive commercial. All I can think of on hearing this world-class butchery of a pretty good song, is Pajama Boy sitting on the bed in his onesie, smirking and singing in a faux hipster warble.

Dell, even if I didn't remember the days of "Dell hell" I would boycott your products.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by HatyMcHater HatyMcHater wrote:

This ad's "music" gives me hope that even I could make money in the singing business.

EXACTLY what I was thinking! I sound like a goat being slaughtered when I sing (kind of odd since every production I've been in since college have been musicals - go figure) so I'll bet those indie, hipster producers will find a goldmine with me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic