Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fast & Furious star Paul Walker dies in car crash
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fast & Furious star Paul Walker dies in car crash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 1:39am
Of course the "age" thing always plays into how much attention a celebrity/sport/public figure death gets. Whether it is fascination, loss of what they may do in the future, wasted talent, good looks, etc. the younger they die the worse it seems.

I've always wondered at what age the fascination starts to lessen kicks in. Like Paul Walker at 40, still gets a large amount, while even older, more talented get just a little. When James Gandolfini died at 51, I didn't see why it was such a big deal but many (I'm sure many thought he was a great actor)more than I would have suspected just went crazy over it. I know other factors account for some of it, but I do think at some age, 60, 65, 70, the "youth" factor kicks in and people don't care as much.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 1:57am

^  And at a certain age---maybe 75 and up---when a celebrity dies, many of us just assume he or she was already dead.

At this pont, so many people I grew up watching or listening to have died, that sometimes, I don't remember who's dead and who isn't.

Another thing.  If they're not someone in my frame of reference---that is, if I didn't "grow up" with them or have had little exposure to them, I find myself caring less.  Like this Paul Walker guy.  Yeah, it's sad that he died so young, but I don't really feel anything about it.  It's not as if a little part of me died when he died, as it might be when someone like Lou Reed dies.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Yeah, Dean was part of something bigger, but still, he was just an actor as well. That's the reason most people mourned his death, because they were fans, not because of any movement. And I gotta say, I'm more likely to rewatch Fast 5 or 6 than I am anything he did, I never really got the appeal. Was it a "you had to be there" thing? Cause I like plenty of older movies-if I'm going to watch a comedy I'm more likely to turn to Abbott and Costello than I am anything modern, I've loved the Universal horror movies since I was a kid, I dig classic noir...but I never got the appeal of Dean's films.

Actually, when he died, there was no great mourning of his death. People just said "Gee, that's too bad" & moved on with their lives. Dean & his work didn't achieve cult status until many years later, after the social revolution he helped usher in, was well under way.

As for your taste in movies.... what can I say? Dean's movies are & always will be considered classics, right up there with Cassablanca & From Here to Eternity. Paul Walker & his gimmicky movies will be completely forgotten about.

No offense.

I certainly can't imagine a big time, chart-topping rock band ever writing a hit song called Paul Walker nearly 20 years after his death.

Yeah, lots of sh*tty movies(and books) are considered classics, that's nothing new. Of course, the F&F series won't be considered classics, but they do one thing right that none of Dean's work ever did-entertain me. 

And not sure your logic...because no big time chart topping rock band has written a hit song about Orson Welles it means nobody will remember him either? How many hit songs have been written about Humphrey Bogart? Or for that matter, Abbott and Costello(or The Marx Brothers), does nobody else remember them since nobody wrote a hit song about them?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 2:19pm

How many hit songs have been written about Humphrey Bogart? 

Here's one.  I dunno if it can be called a hit, but it was pretty popular in my college dorm.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 2:30pm
^LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:16pm

Yeah, lots of sh*tty movies (and books) are considered classics, that's nothing new.

Awwww shucks. I've gone & hurt your feelings, so now you're lashing out in anger & retaliation.  

Me sowwy... Cry

Of course, the F&F series won't be considered classics, but they do one thing right that none of Dean's work ever did-entertain me.

Yes, I'm sure they've entertained many members of your generation x or y or z.

Whatever...

And not sure your logic...because no big time chart topping rock band has written a hit song about Orson Welles it means nobody will remember him either? How many hit songs have been written about Humphrey Bogart? Or for that matter, Abbott and Costello(or The Marx Brothers), does nobody else remember them since nobody wrote a hit song about them?

Beside the point deflection & strawman argument. 

NOT having a hit song written about oneself, does not necessarily mean one is not a cultural icon, but HAVING one written about oneself, certainly does mean one is. 

Point being, James Dean HAD a hit song written about him, which merely serves to underscore his status as a cultural icon based on the movies he made (which BTW are not "sh*tty"), but Paul Walker, though I'm sure he was a good & decent person, will NEVER have a hit song written about him, because unlike Dean, Walker was a minor star who, like his & most of the other forgettable movies being made nowadays, will be completely forgotten about.

No offense intended to the man or his fans, but it is what it is.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:40pm

Yeah, lots of sh*tty movies (and books) are considered classics, that's nothing new.

Awwww shucks. I've gone & hurt your feelings, so now you're lashing out in anger & retaliation.  

Me sorry... Cry

Of course, the F&F series won't be considered classics, but they do one thing right that none of Dean's work ever did-entertain me.

Yes, I'm sure they've entertained many members of your generation x or y or z.

LOL that picture is hilarious!

I dislike Fast & Furious because they manage to total classic muscle cars while the tuner cars are untouched.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

How many hit songs have been written about Humphrey Bogart?

Here's one. I dunno if it can be called a hit, but it was pretty popular in my college dorm.

I'm surprised you overlooked this one, you being a big Blondie fan & all...

"Susie And Jeffrey"

Even though Jeff was worried
They weren't in a hurry
They planned a lovely honeymoon
Sue had a brand new Chevy
Conservative, in good taste
Only 30 payments due
They had outstanding tickets
They had no car insurance
But they had lots of things to do
They were getting organised
They had their plans all finalised
The date was set for Saturday

Susie and Jeffrey, they're gonna get married
They're going for a blood test

What if I don't pass my blood test?
What about our marriage licence?
What if I can't be deprogrammed?
Don't act like it's your last chance
We could have fun at the Spahn Ranch.
It's not like Gordon Avenue

Susie and Jeffrey, they're gonna get married
They're going for a blood test
Jeffrey said "Let's wait"
Sue took her foot off of the brake
He drove into a wall

Don't get excited, now don't shout!
I'll scratch your eyes out
Now we can't have our honeymoon!"
Don't touch she's my fiance!
Say, but I like the way you play
An autograph from Orson Welles

I'm a fan, here's my record
It's one we can't get programmed
We want to give to all of you
They had a little argument
He drove the car into a wall
They had a little argument
They had a disagreement
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

LOL that picture is hilarious!

I've always gotten a chuckle out of it myself!!! Big smile 

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:51pm

I do love that song.  Never appeared on the vinyl album---only the CD.  I read it was inspired simply by some engaged couple having crashed into the studio in LA where Blondie was recording, following an argument.

And of course I love the Spahn Ranch reference, whatever the hell it's supposed to mean.  Same with the Orson Welles reference.  What the...?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 3:58pm

I do love that song.  Never appeared on the vinyl album---only the CD.  I read it was inspired simply by some engaged couple having crashed into the studio in LA where Blondie was recording, following an argument.
And of course I love the Spahn Ranch reference, whatever the hell it's supposed to mean.  Same with the Orson Welles reference.  What the...?

There is a very deep, dark & cryptic meaning to the use of those references in that song.... they rhymed.

LOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 4:24pm

^  God bless rock music.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 4:47pm

Maybe they both reeeeeaaaaallllly hated Blondie & were trying to prevent them from putting out another album.... 

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 5:03pm

Well, then they succeeded at least in having them never put out another good one, anyway.  In fact, the CD that song appeared on, was kinda questionable itself.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 5:12pm
So, did the couple die, or did they live to get married & just WISH they'd died? LOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 5:16pm

I'll Google "suzy and jeffery gordon avenue" and see what comes up.

Nope.  Nothin' other than mentions of the song.  No Facebook or anything.  They must've died.

RIP, Suzy and Jeffery.  Cry

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 7:34pm
Just saw a commercial for Fast & Furious 6 the announcer said something about all proceeds will be donated to Paul Walkers fund for first responders.

Wow.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 8:31pm
Walker failed - no 'MudMonkey Merit Badge' for him, no - more something like 'Lice(Rice?)Krispies Merit Badge'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 9:38am

NOT having a hit song written about oneself, does not necessarily mean one is not a cultural icon, but HAVING one written about oneself, certainly does mean one is. 

Or maybe it just means a popular band was a fan of the dude.

And I've seen Dean's work-it's still sh*tty. Tons of classic movies far better than anything he ever did.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 4:36pm
I've seen some follow up articles. After viewing enhanced video of the car on fire, it appears the passenger was conscious but trapped. It said he was "flailing" his arms.
The article also said toxicology reports would take 6 to 8 weeks.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

I've seen some follow up articles. After viewing enhanced video of the car on fire, it appears the passenger was conscious but trapped. It said he was "flailing" his arms.

I'd rather not have known that.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 5:03pm
Seriously.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 7:38pm
Sorry guys,  Sometimes life's not pretty.  Or death.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 7:56pm

Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

I'd rather not have known that.

Same here. It makes it all the more sad.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 4:32am
Today on CNN newsroom they ran the Mandela story then immediately went into the Walker story--not saying anything really but it did seem strange.

What little I saw of Walker story was bizarre, surreal, and sorry (because people seem to get too wrapped up emotionally in the death of someone they've never known).

People at the crash sight were several people deep for several blocks on both sides. There were pile after pile of "junk" people had brought to honor Paul Walker. Maybe the most odd was that some people brought a full size Christmas tree, set it up and decorated it. The funniest part was when the reporter said that each person there was mourning for Walker in their own personal way--well I don't think mourning someone in front of thousands of other people and 100s of news outlets is very private--couldn't they have mourned privately at home?

When I was in high school Elvis dies. My cousin cried and was so upset, you'd have thought he was an immediate family member. Me and my sister told her to grow up and get a life.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic