Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more Daylight Saving Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No more Daylight Saving Time
    Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 5:49pm
Yeah, ending DST has some advantages when the days grow shorter. The one I hear most here in PA is that kids riding school buses don't have to walk to bus stops and wait for buses in the dark.

But it sure is a pain in other ways.

We've just started our annual battle of the falling leaves, and before DST ended, I had a fighting chance of being able to do some raking and mower-mulching after work, if I left on time. Now, it'll have to be done Saturdays unless I can take a couple hours off during a weekday afternoon. And if Saturdays are rainy, or very windy, forget it.

I also don't care for it being totally dark when I have to leave work late, which is frequent. Except for the couple weeks before Christmas, when I get to enjoy peoples' Christmas lights on the way home.

Wish they could figure out a way to split the difference.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 6:06pm

DST really never has bothered me - I like the dark as much as daylight, and, well...given I tend to work from home, if not far, far away, I lose track of time anyway.

I haven't worn a watch in YEARS (why?!Confused) - the current time is plastered on everything one sees.

In relation to work, DST still creates havoc in large-scale computing - especially in Global environments. Large machines still require careful coordination during time changes, although many complexities have been removed. Extreme care must be taken when business transactions involve interconnected environments operating within different time zones, so my team as always, woke up and went on 'high alert' for about 4 hours, this morning. Think everyone watched a few old 'Law & Order' reruns and went back to bed.

The big thing *I* am used to with the end of DST is the beginning of cooler weather - YAY!Big smile

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 6:30pm
It takes a couple days to for my internal clock to adjust.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

It takes a couple days to for my internal clock to adjust.
WinkI'd suggest gettin' rid of that ol' "Internal Clock", ol'buddy - like I said, the time is pasted everywhere else already...who really gives a darned what time it is?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:21pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:33pm
Time limits and deadlines....Who needs them.  I'll admit, certain things may need to be done between 8 and 5.  Check your local time zone. Here at the home supper buffet, we will eat at 3:30 only because I got up early forgetting about the time change. I should be okay by tuesday.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

DST really never has bothered me - I like the dark as much as daylight, and, well...given I tend to work from home, if not far, far away, I lose track of time anyway.

I haven't worn a watch in YEARS (why?!Confused) - the current time is plastered on everything one sees.

In relation to work, DST still creates havoc in large-scale computing - especially in Global environments. Large machines still require careful coordination during time changes, although many complexities have been removed. Extreme care must be taken when business transactions involve interconnected environments operating within different time zones, so my team as always, woke up and went on 'high alert' for about 4 hours, this morning. Think everyone watched a few old 'Law & Order' reruns and went back to bed.

The big thing *I* am used to with the end of DST is the beginning of cooler weather - YAY!Big smile

Why are international dealings not done in GMT (ZULU) time?
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 8:36pm

^^^GMT only applies to a small portion of the UK - but is the accepted basis for all, Sarge. Then there is the whole matter of the 'Atomic Clock'. In all seriousness, it is very important people understand this and the ramifications.

Time is extremely critical and means everything (legally), when it comes to finance.

Believe me - time zone changes are stranger than you think.
Not all time zones change at the same time (Euriope is a week before North America).
Some countries do not recognize DST.
Some countries do not change by the hour (no joke).

Oh yea - don't get me started on the 'International Date Line' and how THAT can impact matters.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 9:46pm
I'm having some fun with my mother. I took the Wi-Fi off, hid most automatic clocks...waiting to see how long it takes her to realise.

Just had a five minute argument with me grinning insisting it's 2:30 when the clock says 4:30
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:15am
Instead of "You're gaining an extra hour of sleep!" like the dumbwit morons on the TV bleat at us year after year, I felt like I was jetlagged AND lost part of the afternoon.  Plus it gets dark earlier now, ruining the time I could spend outside doing things.  I hope feral dogs and drunken hoboes are pissing on the graves of the douchebags that 'invented' this DST bullsh*t....
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:17am
I liked this one cartoon

Little girl singing "I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE THE MAGIC OF GETTING AN EXTRA HOUR OF SUNSHINE!!!!"

Sister: You do realise you've just gotten up an hour earlier.

Little girl goes totally dead acting like she's exhausted and in need of coffee.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 7:19am

The only thing I like about the return to Standard Time, is that it's the first hurdle in getting this whole winter thing over.  Next is when the days start getting longer on 12/21.  Then, Christmas gets done with.  Then, February is just around the corner, and that's when signs of Spring start appearing.

Ken 1802 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 9:23am
Thor, what February are you talking about? The one I know of, the one right after January is not close to Spring at all. It is generally freezing in many parts of the US. April, 2 months after February is when the US generally starts getting warm(
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:40am
We had a snow storm last April.....We can't really count on warm weather till May.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Ken 1802 Ken 1802 wrote:

Thor, what February are you talking about? The one I know of, the one right after January is not close to Spring at all. It is generally freezing in many parts of the US. April, 2 months after February is when the US generally starts getting warm(

Where I live it usually starts getting warm in February...sometimes January. Assuming it gets cold at all.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:05pm

Ken...you do realise the U.S. is a huge piece of land...exactly why would you expect the weather to be the same across the whole thing?
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

Yeah, ending DST has some advantages when the days grow shorter. The one I hear most here in PA is that kids riding school buses don't have to walk to bus stops and wait for buses in the dark.

But it sure is a pain in other ways.

We've just started our annual battle of the falling leaves, and before DST ended, I had a fighting chance of being able to do some raking and mower-mulching after work, if I left on time. Now, it'll have to be done Saturdays unless I can take a couple hours off during a weekday afternoon. And if Saturdays are rainy, or very windy, forget it.

I also don't care for it being totally dark when I have to leave work late, which is frequent. Except for the couple weeks before Christmas, when I get to enjoy peoples' Christmas lights on the way home.

Wish they could figure out a way to split the difference.

Keep in mind that the days get shorter this time of year anyway.

Even if we stayed on DST, it would still get dark earlier, but by 6:30 rather than 5:30.

Wouldn't give you a whole lot of extra yard work time.

I wish they'd get rid of DST because I hate it staying daylight until almost 9:00 pm & dark until nearly 8:00 am in the summer.

I think the reason it's still in use is because it cuts energy consumption. People are out doing things more in the summer, so the later it stays light, the less amount of time lights are being used.

So I guess that's good.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Ken...you do realise the U.S. is a huge piece of land...exactly why would you expect the weather to be the same across the whole thing?

I don't think he said that & for the most part he's correct.

Hell, I live in Florida & we don't generally see signs of spring until well into March.

We've actually had near freezes down here in March.

Hence the old saying "March comes in like a lion & goes out like a lamb."

Or as National Lampoon so artfully illustrated it on the cover of their March 1976 issue...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:07pm

Yeah, February is still (what passes for) winter here, but in February, the temps start getting warmer, and by the end of February, my hydrangea is starting to bud out with new leaves.  To me that's the first visible sign that Spring is here---or almost here, anyway.

Winter tends to depress me a bit, so I spend much of it anticipating the end of it.  Any sign of it comes as a relief.  To me, Spring is the most optimistic time of year.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:41pm
I prefer standard time to daylight saving.  I hate July evenings when it's 9:30 and there's still a little sunlight coming from the horizon.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:55pm
^^^there are some really neat portions of the world where you don't need to worry about that for months at a time - then, just the opposite.LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 11:13pm

^  Yeah.  I know a woman who works half the year (the bright half) in Antarctica.  She heads down there every year in October.  That's Spring, south of the Equator.  She has a love-hate relationship with it.  The bucks must be good.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 6:46am

^^^there are some really neat portions of the world where you don't need to worry about that for months at a time - then, just the opposite.LOL

Someday I hope to move there. I prefer cold to heat, and night to day. Living way up in Alaska where you get your month of almost no sun would be awesome for me.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

Someday I hope to move there. I prefer cold to heat, and night to day. Living way up in Alaska where you get your month of almost no sun would be awesome for me.

Month?

Try SIX MONTHS.

The way I understand it, the sun sits just above the horizon 24 hrs a day, but it moves around you in a circle instead of arcing overhead from east to west.

That would be an interesting thing to observe.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

WinkOur oldest and best friend & his family lives there - he was my BEST MAN.
It is a real life changer, per se - the daylight can screw you up - it is basically 'dusk' for weeks on end.
Having said that, no biggie, cool -as long as you can make your own hours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic