Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lou Reed RIP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lou Reed RIP
    Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 7:13pm
1942 - 2013.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 7:26pm
Unhappy...my brother just called me to let me know LR passed...no cause yet, but he had a kidney transplant a few months back.
Lou Reed was one people either seemed to either be a fan of, or they simply never heard of him.
I was always a fan...

"I am a triumph of modern medicine," Reed posted on his website on June 1, 2013, without directly acknowledging the transplant. "I look forward to being on stage performing, and writing more songs to connect with your hearts and spirits and the universe well into the future."

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 7:27pm

Holy sh*t.  I don't know what else to say right now.  Cry

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 7:40pm

Can't forget the iconic Velvet Underground, Pa.

This one's about the apparently thriving S+M scene in Europe in the 1800s, based upon a book by the same name from 1870.  Who'd a-thunk?  The song was written in 1965, when not too many musical artists were writing about such subjects.  Could be why it was never a hit.

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girlchild in the dark
Comes in bells, your servant, don't forsake him

Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 8:13pm
Never was a fan, but this is a shock.

RIP Loooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuu.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
strifeknot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 3:07am
We're lucky to have his music, and not only his own, but that of the scores of great artists he influenced.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:51pm
This really sucks. I met Lou many times around NYC and he was soft spoken and very nice to his fans.
I knew he had liver trouble, but I thought everything was getting better for him....apparently not.
Damn, we just lost a good guy. I'll be listening to some V.U. In his honour.
One man gathers what another man spills
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:01pm
CryCryCryCry
We're big Lou Reed/Velvet Underground fans here.  We pretty much spent yesterday listening to all of the wonderful music that he gave us:

I'm no fool.  I know that everyone has to go.  But I genuinely cannot believe that Lou Reed is gone.
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 1:40pm

^  Yeah, it really threw me for a loop.  Got a bunch of emails about it.  Everyone was pretty shocked. 

I saw the Playstation 4 commercial (utilizes Perfect Day) a few times yesterday.  I felt kinda melancholy.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 2:10pm
RIP, Lou.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 2:22pm
I was deeply saddened when I heard about his passing over the weekend.  A truly great and influential musician Cry

RIP, Lou.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 2:40pm

I liked Reed a lot, but that Metal Machine Music album??  Whoa!  That was one album I gave away after listening to 10 minutes of it.  I couldn't even justify keeping it in my record collection.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

A truly great and influential musician Cry

I can only imagine the artists who'll be in attendance at his funeral.  I'm imagining David Johansen and Iggy Pop there, both trying to hit on Deborah Harry.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

A truly great and influential musician Cry

I can only imagine the artists who'll be in attendance at his funeral.  I'm imagining David Johansen and Iggy Pop there, both trying to hit on Deborah Harry.

Having seen the grandmotherly/yard-gardner Ms. Harry earlier this year, your thoughts bring no solice, but rather pictures of a new Reed-inspired band called 'Wrinkle Rape', starring all three.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 3:09pm

I'd imagine there's enough wrinkles among the three of them to make a shar pei cream.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 10:48pm
Sh*t... wow, we really lost a huge talent today.

VU and Lou Reed in general have been huge inspirations to me... RIP, Mr. Reed. May your heaven be free of any of the pain you experienced here.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 11:14pm

According to an article my bro sent me, "Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Heart", a 1998 bio of Reed, will start airing on PBS tomorrow night.  Check your listings, I guess.

Looks like, besides Reed, it'll feature David Bowie, David Byrne, Patti Smith, John Cale, Nico, Andy Warhol and others.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 12:01am
Confused^^^...and maybe David Lynch?
 (what a sweet video - I simply lerrve it!)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 12:58am

^  Jay and the Americans probably do not approve.

Reed's approach to music made me laugh when I read it:
"One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 2:23am
^ That is funny.

Never heard that before.

Definitely minimalist.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic