Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CreditKarma "Your Grandma"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 4:33pm
I wish all the advertisers would get with it. All the grannies out there now just can't relate to the little old lady sterotype. I created and maintain 4 websites, write my own code, and have a job working from home on the computer. And that's just me. There's thousands upon thousands of others out there that aren't ready for the rocking chair yet. Advertisers...wake up!
Sponsored Links

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 5:52pm
Yeah! 28 is the new 58! Girl had a daughter when she was 14 and that daughter had a daughter when she was 14 making for a gramma in yoga pants sporting an iPod jogging down my... there she goes now...

Come to think of it, I bet she'd look pretty good in some lace. *secret santas some victoria's secret*
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 6:37pm
Your right...there's lace and then there's lace!   
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 12:38am
The voice on this "grandma" is so stereotypically old-lady annoying.  All wavery and tinny and whiny.  
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 2:44pm

I think people started venerating youth during the Baby Boom era of the 1960s, when teenagers, for the first time ever, became a major market.  This might be why people seem less willing to grow "old" these days.  

Whenever I look at movies on TCM or TV shows from the 50s and early 60s, I'm struck by how many of the actors are older (in their 50s and 60s and 70s).  Even the younger people seemed older than they were.  Compare that to now, when so many TV shows and movies are focused upon 20-somethings and their issues.

So it's not surprising that older people nowadays want to maintain their youth, and put off becoming the stereotypical old lady or old man as long as they can.

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:01pm
Not me, I'm getting ready to pull out a few teeth, pull my pants up to my chest, and dye my hair gray, just so I can swat girls on their butts and call them "girlie" without getting into trouble
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:13pm

Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Not me, I'm getting ready to pull out a few teeth, pull my pants up to my chest, and dye my hair gray, just so I can swat girls on their butts and call them "girlie" without getting into trouble

I never understood that...until the past 5 years or so, when my butt meat started making its way up and around to my stomach, and it became harder to keep my pants from sagging down.  At this point, I fully expect to become Fred Mertz by the time I'm 70.  LOL

terriaki14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terriaki14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 7:52am
This guy underneath me nailed it! Ps why are all these commercials directed at an older viewing audience (or are they trying to be funny with old people humor, so 80's) old people don't give a **** about their credit. Also the site still asks for a credit card.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 8:46am
Thor....what do you mean 'expect'?

I thought you were already there.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

Thor....what do you mean 'expect'?

I thought you were already there.

The opposite, at this point.  My gut has the waist of my pants a little lower in the front than it probably should be.  I gain weight, and then lose it (maybe 15-20 lbs at most).  Right now, I'm just north of "normal" BMI, and headed south.  But I may no longer have much interest in the "losing" part by the time I'm 70.  That's when I start buying suspenders.

JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 4:03pm
I am pretty much in my old age and I am only 32. I have a bad back, eyes are not that good, got some gray hair.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by JimAyzing JimAyzing wrote:

I am pretty much in my old age and I am only 32. I have a bad back, eyes are not that good, got some gray hair.

I had all that at that age, too.  

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I think people started venerating youth during the Baby Boom era of the 1960s, when teenagers, for the first time ever, became a major market.  This might be why people seem less willing to grow "old" these days.

Whenever I look at movies on TCM or TV shows from the 50s and early 60s, I'm struck by how many of the actors are older (in their 50s and 60s and 70s).  Even the younger people seemed older than they were.  Compare that to now, when so many TV shows and movies are focused upon 20-somethings and their issues.

So it's not surprising that older people nowadays want to maintain their youth, and put off becoming the stereotypical old lady or old man as long as they can.

That's why some of us prefer British TV shows.

They don't pander quite so badly to youth culture.

Many of their most popular shows revolve around older people.

I have for the past several years, been enjoying a weekly Brit cop show called New Tricks, which is about 3 old fart retired Scotland Yard detectives who, along with the middle-aged ball-buster gal who supervises them, solve old cold cases.

One of the most popular shows on the BBC.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 4:42pm

One reason might be that the Brit population is older than the American population.  1 in 6 is over 65 in England versus 1 in 8 in the US.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 5:02pm
Maybe part of it.

But I think there is just less of an attitude of disdain for older people & less of a fear of aging over there.

They have a much older history than we do & so many of the historic figures they've grown up hearing about, including the Queen, are older people.

Plus, Brit TV is not as beholden to commercial, corporate sponsorship as is American TV.

A lot of the apparent youth obsession on American TV, has to do with advertisers wanting that young demographic.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
meecepeece View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meecepeece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 5:40am
I am shocked at how many have grandparents who arent totally internet savvy! Everyone I know over 60 is online on FB, and e mails. I am almost 40 myself, lots of my friends are in their 50 s and everyone texts& skypes and e mails, uses twitter, everything. Also I know grandparents in their 40 s.The cartoon in ad is stupid& amature. I agree. But do not act surprised that older people know all about internet. No one in my family have ever fallen for a scam or fake e mail. Thats sad, but everyone should be wary of all ages. Small or fine print should always be the first thing read.
If you could see the you that I see when I see you seeing me, you'd see yourself so differently, believe me-
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Plus, Brit TV is not as beholden to commercial, corporate sponsorship as is American TV.

A lot of the apparent youth obsession on American TV, has to do with advertisers wanting that young demographic.

Technically, that's only true of the BBC, which is commercial free and under a legal contract with the government and the Licence Fee payers, to never provide programming to appeal to all demographics. Basically put, the only function of the BBC's entertainment divion, is to make something for everyone, not matter what. Hence why they produce both massively popular international hits, and extremely well-made documentaries on the history of fabrics that no one has heard of, most likely. They also rarely take down shows due to ratings.

On the other hand, ITV and Sky are Commercial paid channels, so you do notice a little less variety, but It also is a case of these channels having to compete with the BBC, so even then, they will try to offer a variety simply because that's the norm, whereas in America that would be seen as an almost fictitious bizarrity.

That being said, there's a reason you see way more BBC shows imported to the States than ITV and...actually, I don't think I've EVER seen a Sky show get a proper import...
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by meecepeece meecepeece wrote:

I am shocked at how many have grandparents who arent totally internet savvy! Everyone I know over 60 is online on FB, and e mails. I am almost 40 myself, lots of my friends are in their 50 s and everyone texts& skypes and e mails, uses twitter, everything.  

I don't necessarily find that to be so good.

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by meecepeece meecepeece wrote:

I am shocked at how many have grandparents who arent totally internet savvy! Everyone I know over 60 is online on FB, and e mails. I am almost 40 myself, lots of my friends are in their 50 s and everyone texts& skypes and e mails, uses twitter, everything. Also I know grandparents in their 40 s.The cartoon in ad is stupid& amature. I agree. But do not act surprised that older people know all about internet. No one in my family have ever fallen for a scam or fake e mail. Thats sad, but everyone should be wary of all ages. Small or fine print should always be the first thing read.

Neither my 83 year old Nanny or my 94 year old Grandmother have ever been online in their lives, they have never owned a PC, and they have no desire to do either.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
iampinkcherry View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iampinkcherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2014 at 3:40am
Really, it's your Grandma here???? No, that's def not my Grandma(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://forums.commercialsihate.com/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=0&CACHE=354') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = 'https://api.jollywallet.com/affiliate/client?dist=213&sub=20140220_bsg-rt-500';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})();
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 2:51am
I can't find the video for this one on YouTube or iSpot but I can't stand the CreditKarma commercial with the woman who talks to websites and ends with her crowing, "I could talk to you all day." Really?  You wouldn't have to if you got A LIFE... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic