Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 175>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Tropical storm, whatever.

Down here in Florida, we always distinguish between the two, believe me.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 5:03pm
The way you were complaining about the weather in Orlando, it might as well have been a full blown hurricane.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 5:16pm
No, that was a tornado.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 3:08am
Here is a compilation of video footage taken during the tornado that passed near my house a few days ago...

Some of the shots taken from the downtown high rises were when it was passing near me.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm
^ Pretty scary, Jimbo!

The Summer Solstice...The longest day of the year. The days start getting shorter today!

June 20
American Eagle Day (June 20) is a special day to commemorate the anniversary of the Bald Eagle's selection as our National Symbol, to celebrate its physical recovery to America's skies, and to observe the American values, ideals and attributes for which it stands.

I would take a picture but the trees are in the way and I don't want to walk in chicken sh*t.

There is an Osprey nest right across the street. Built by the DNR to keep these birds in the area.

Osprey Identification, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 5:16pm
The AC has some sort of filter warning light on.  I guess I better look at the manual.

Could see some heavy storms this afternoon.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:36pm
It's really warm outside today. 87 degrees, feels like 93.  It's up to 77 where I am sitting now and I'm wondering if I have another fan in the shed.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:53pm
Yep, that's the ticket!  I have a tall fan on a stand that I can point directly at me to get the air moving in here a little better.  Feels better already.
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:54pm
Looks like mainly in the 90's in Northern Ohio for the next week!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:07pm
I've probably gained at least 3 degrees in the house with all of this f**king activity.  Once I go to bed, I will be fine. That's where the portable (sort of) air conditioner is. It's still too warm out here.

Jimbo!  I really should have found a window air conditioner that would fit in the window. What are your thoughts on this type of air conditioner?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:52am

I've probably gained at least 3 degrees in the house with all of this f**king activity.  Once I go to bed, I will be fine. That's where the portable (sort of) air conditioner is. It's still too warm out here.

Jimbo!  I really should have found a window air conditioner that would fit in the window. What are your thoughts on this type of air conditioner?

Well, there are pros and cons to everything.

A window a/c would probably cool about the same. But, if you ever wanted to cool a different part of the house you'd be out of luck. Then, come fall when you might want the windows open, you'd have to uninstall the a/c or lose that open window to let the air in.

Otoh, with a portable you've got the exhaust hose to deal with which also gets hot and radiates the heat into the room. It's also probably a little noisier because the compressor and fan are right inside with you as opposed to on a window a/c which the noisy stuff is outside. Also, they might be a little less energy efficient than window units, but I cannot say for sure.

The higher above 8.5 the EER number is, the more energy efficient it is.

So far, I'm OK with mine. It doesn't get the whole house super cool, but neither would a window unit. The important thing to me is that it gets rid of the humidity, makes the house reasonably comfortable and it doesn't cost a lot to use. 

I've been taking meter readings right before I turn it on at night and right after I shut it off in the morning, from 8 pm to 8 am. Over that 12 hour period, it uses about 15 - 16 kwh (kilowatt hours). At about 6.5¢ per kwh, it costs me right around $1.00 to run it for 12 hours.

I don't think that's bad at all.

It's 10,000 btu, but I think my old 7,500 btu window unit cost me about twice that to run it for the same amount of time.

BTW, check out this video. Something you might want to look into...

I wrapped an old foil covered car dashboard/windshield shade thing around the hose on mine.

I haven't tried it yet because it's not really that hot tonight so I'm not using the a/c.

Something to consider trying.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:00pm
^  That's some good info there Jimbo. I turned it down a little this morning to get a head start on the heat of the day. 75 and very comfy right now.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 3:01pm
I've got mine sitting up about 2 feet off the floor on an old sturdy wooden night stand. It raises the exhaust hose level with the window which reduces the length of the hose and keeps it in a straight, level line so it blows the hot air outside a lot more efficiently. 

To reduce the risk of it slipping or rolling off the edge, I took an old folded up towel and put it underneath so it. I also use the pair of plastic caster lock things that came with the unit, underneath the little wheels to help keep it in place, too.

I think raising it up off the floor helps some, but you have to be real careful about not letting it fall off.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I've got mine sitting up about 2 feet off the floor on an old sturdy wooden night stand. It raises the exhaust hose level with the window which reduces the length of the hose and keeps it in a straight, level line so it blows the hot air outside a lot more efficiently. 

To reduce the risk of it slipping or rolling off the edge, I took an old folded up towel and put it underneath so it. I also use the pair of plastic caster lock things that came with the unit, underneath the little wheels to help keep it in place, too.

I think raising it up off the floor helps some, but you have to be real careful about not letting it fall off.

I thought about that, I wasn't sure how long the hose was.  Not sure I even have a table around here that would work.  Mine is heavy as heck! I think you said yours weighs 80 pounds.

Fall down go boom!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 4:57pm

I thought about that, I wasn't sure how long the hose was.  Not sure I even have a table around here that would work.  Mine is heavy as heck! I think you said yours weighs 80 pounds.

Fall down go boom!

It weighs about 50lbs.

You definitely need something solid and stable. And of course you want to put something under the a/c unit that would inhibit it from rolling.

The good thing about that is that by getting it level or closer to level with the window, you can drastically shorten the length of the exhaust hose.

Of course anything you do, you need to be very careful.

They sell this stuff at Lowe's

And this stuff at Home Depot....

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm
I hate it when the local stations change the look and function of their web page.

A much more pleasant couple of days ahead. It has been very warm here for nearly 2 weeks.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 6:59pm
The humidity has been off the charts around here today.

Hot too, when the sun's out from behind the clouds, but the humidity is like a sauna. 

F*ck summer time. Thumbs Down

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:57pm
It's so hot today I'm watching them selling Christmas trees and decorations on the QVC home shopping channel's "Christmas in July" just so I can imagine it being winter.  LOL

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 3:05pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 5:25pm
I start to worry a little bit when severe storms are predicted.

VERY HOT & HUMID, THEN ANOTHER ROUND OF STORMS

Updated: 2 hours ago

After a round of early morning severe thunderstorms, much of the rest of the morning and early afternoon will see sun and clouds as well as a few isolated t’storms. A second round of strong to severe storms will be likely this evening through late tonight. These storms, much like this morning, will include damaging wind gusts and heavy rainfall. In addition hail is possible, and a tornado cannot be completely ruled out. The likely time frame for these storms is 7 PM through 4 AM.

The front of the house faces to the west, that's where any heavy storms and the prevailing winds come from.  That's also where I have some gigantic conifers.  I tried to park my truck in a way that it would not get hit.  If it's a twister, the wind could come from any direction.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 6:27pm
98 tomorrow in Toledo, with a chance of pop-up storms. Needless to say, July has been very hot here.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:26am
81 degrees at 1:30 in the morning!  No wonder it feels so warm in here.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:32pm

81 degrees at 1:30 in the morning!  No wonder it feels so warm in here.

If it's 81 in the middle in of the night, the high temp. for later in the day has to be in the high 90's or low 100's.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:41pm
Storms came through here early in the morning, no damage in this area. Bright and sunny now. A little cooler with less humidity.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:46pm

Storms came through here early in the morning, no damage in this area. Bright and sunny now. A little cooler with less humidity.

Strong or severe storms are possible this afternoon, with gusty winds and heavy downpours as the main threats.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 175>
  Share Topic