Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 175>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:43am
Weather News has us in a CAT3 evacuation area, so if we choose not to go, we're being sacrificed for the 'better good'. In other words, 'common sense' applies out at The Estate In The Swamp - stay if you like for the flying debris, uprooted trees, snakes, rats, anything that bites, ingests, robs and pillages that will look for 'safe haven' here. The cars can be safe if desired - the city has opened all parking garages for free auto storage until Monday...but that won't happen because I'd simply be left...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:48am
Hitchhiking is not safe.

Some old weirdo like Pa Wolf might pick you up and you'd never be heard from again. 
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:52am
Yea. I might just make you my baby, baby in some dark secluded corner that nobody knows exists.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:16am
We're in the cone again (all week we've been told to "watch Dorian"...well, we're expecting to see it, all right!  Just a little piece of it, but we don't want any part of it!)  We are now under a tropical storm warning for Friday evening - supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of rain overnight and winds in the 40-50 mph range, with gusts to 60-70 mph.  Unhappy 
CapeCat
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by CapeCat CapeCat wrote:

We're in the cone again (all week we've been told to "watch Dorian"...well, we're expecting to see it, all right!  Just a little piece of it, but we don't want any part of it!)  We are now under a tropical storm warning for Friday evening - supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of rain overnight and winds in the 40-50 mph range, with gusts to 60-70 mph.  Unhappy 
That is what I am currently seeing as I look out my window into The Swamp'....bands of winds come through and bend the trees, then quiet. Gusts of wind, common with any tropical storm. We are under a watch for the next five hours.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

That is what I am currently seeing as I look out my window into The Swamp'....bands of winds come through and bend the trees, then quiet. Gusts of wind, common with any tropical storm. We are under a watch for the next five hours.
Here we are at 12:36 and we remain under watch for the next seven hours as this thing came ashore below us in Kitty Hawk and then backed off...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:27pm
We barely got a little bit of breeze here.

Over on the coast about fifty miles to the east of here, they got about 30 to 40 mph winds.

Pretty good bit of rain here, but it wasn't a hard rain. Just slow and steady all night.

Now it's dry, sunny and hot as blazes outside.

At least there's a breeze blowing though.

That's something I guess.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:28pm

You and yours hunker down tight up there, CapeKitty!!!! Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:33pm
Hang in there, CC!

They have been through some pretty bad storms before.
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 4:19am
Thanks very much for all of the good wishes!!  We're battened down here and doing well...It's starting to rain pretty steadily...the wind is kicking up too.  From what I can see on the radar reports, the storm is appearing to track a bit closer to Nantucket than we were initially told.   Very grateful that we are not taking a direct hit from this nasty storm --  At this rate, the worst of the wind may be coming in during the pre-dawn hours.  I'll report back in the morning (provided that we have internet, of course!) Thumbs Up
CapeCat
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 3:07pm
Storm is pulling away, which is great.  Winds have dropped back to the 30 mph range and are diminishing by the hour.  Internet back on, no trees down, fences still up, and the roof is still on, so we are very grateful and plan to spend the afternoon picking up branches and repairing what's left of my perennial garden (that is, what was left after the weather we had when tornadoes skipped through last month).  Compared to what could have happened, this storm was a nothing-burger and we were very, very lucky! 

Hoping that all my CIH friends who were affected by this storm are safe and doing well, and that you have swift recovery from any damage.  And no more hurricanes this season!  

Wishing you all better days, fair winds and following seas.

CapeCat
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:37pm
Call me crazy (yeah I know, you do anyway) but I detect a slight feeling of "fall" (or what passes for it down here) in the air today.

The forecast is for it to be extremely hot. Mid 90's. And it may just reach that. But right now, the humidity feels lower than I've felt it in months and there's a bit of a breeze blowing.

Feels awesome in the shade.

Furthermore, last night and early this morning before sunup, I went outside and there was a faint but distinct "chill" in the air which was dry then, too.

Probably just a temporary condition, possibly because Dorian sucked all the moisture out of the atmosphere, but it's encouraging!!!!

Thumbs Up 

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:48pm
Damned right you feel some fall! We feel it first!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Damned right you feel some fall! We feel it first!

If you're trying to make me envious, it's working. Stern Smile

Our normal temps for this time of year are low - mid 90's in the day, mid 70's at night with varying degrees of humidity ranging from not too terribly awful to stewing in your own goo.

Sometimes both within the same day.

Just depends on what's happening in the atmosphere.

But today feels a bit more like early to mid October.  

I had forgotten what dry, comfortable air feels like. Approve

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
Quite a bit of rain overnight, warm and humid today. The air is so thick outside...you can cut it with a spork!

The utility bill is back down to about $135 compared to almost $160 last month.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:23pm
It was a nasty drizzle when I went to the grocery this morning, that should have been a sign!

Both of Mama's favorite beverages were sold out...That's never good for me!

GEVALIA Mocha Latte, K-CUP Pods and Froth Packets, 9 Count (Pack Of 4)

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:55pm
It's a very pleasant day in the neighborhood. The temp. is 62 degrees, dew point is 53.  I guess the official start of Autumn is still over a week away.  It sure feels like it now!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

It's a very pleasant day in the neighborhood. The temp. is 62 degrees, dew point is 53.  I guess the official start of Autumn is still over a week away.  It sure feels like it now!

I envy those conditions, though I will say that it's beginning to get just a little bit on the autumn-ish side around here, too.

Been fairly breezy most of the week and it's feeling a tiny bit cooler and less humid at night.

Sat in the backyard for awhile last night enjoying the breeze and slightly lower humidity.

Breezy and partly cloudy today with highs "only" in the upper 80's.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 5:46am
Night time is nice lately with the full moon.  Really lights up the passing clouds, very pretty...  Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Night time is nice lately with the full moon.  Really lights up the passing clouds, very pretty...  Smile

Yeah, I was watching that Friday night.

The clouds were kind of wispy and the upper level wind was really moving them across the sky and the moon fast.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:57pm
The fog didn't lift until after 11:00 this morning.  That spells really humid and a high of near 78 makes it hot for this time of the year. Not feeling a lot of discomfort as far as that goes right now.  My hip is killing me, and the ball of my right foot is hurting pretty good too.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:30pm
I'm a big fan of big fans!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 3:32pm
We're getting some showers and a little thunder in the distance.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 4:58pm
With a tropical storm out at sea, the swamp is dismal and grey, but breezy and 74 degrees, which is 'open window & fan' weather.
Aside from the dismal grey skies, nice....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 10:03pm
It's been pretty nice here today.

Humidity and temperature are down, breeze is up.

My favorite combination!!!

Plus, it's supposed to stay pretty much this way well into next week!!!

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 137138139140141 175>
  Share Topic