Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 175>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 10:58am
There's a nasty stench in the air thanks to some wild fires up in Canada.
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 3:44pm
Hot and sticky is here to stay!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:35pm
CryMy days here NEED to come to an end!!!
Been in the upper 90's with very high humidity, which means Homey don't go outside unless emergency. In fact, I've been waking up about 1-2 PM.
The pups back up in The Great White North tell me how it just isn't getting hot up there! Stuck in the mid-70's!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:38am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Yeah, that two weeks per year of hot weather you get up there must be just horrible!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:26am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Yeah, that two weeks per year of hot weather you get up there must be just horrible!!!!

Cry If only it were that cool here. "Dear Abbey" comes to mind ("...stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood...")

I just went for a 3 mile drive to pick up dinner and had a 3 mile island seizure in the heat, because of the heat. Spit up almost a bucket of phlegm, still have a tight chest and short breathing and all I wanted to do was to kill the idiots asking me if I was OK since I had to pull over at a major 4-way stop and almost hit a cement pole, got out of the car on my hands and knees and hacked for 20 minutes in front of minorities who wanted to know if I had a cigarette, a dollar, or if I was o,k,? It was 99 with 60% humidity at 7 PM....which left me sick, sweating like an Irish pig, but in front of too many people to become a gang victim (once outside of 'The Estate In The Swamp', I'm not part of the 88% ethnic majority of the local town). I'll trade places with aka and his terrible weather for a week any time, these days.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:51pm
I had to do a little work outside so I wanted to do it early. I had to start the burn pile and trim a couple of bushes near the gas meter. They grow like crazy and the utility company will complain if they don't have a clear view of the meter.  Mama was kind enough to clean up behind me.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:30pm

I had to do a little work outside so I wanted to do it early. I had to start the burn pile and trim a couple of bushes near the gas meter. They grow like crazy and the utility company will complain if they don't have a clear view of the meter.  Mama was kind enough to clean up behind me.

LOL
The local utilities came to move their meters to the back of the house and figured they didn't need to say anything before entering a fenced area that has a nice big gate. Problem is, our caretaker's almost invisible grey pit bull lives back there - she has bright yellow eyes and is very, very quiet until she is right on you and about to kill you (she loves everyone she knows). I heard her go off and then had to answer the front door to a supervisor who really needed to go home and change his pants.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:37pm
We're looking at heat indexes (pardon me... indeces) of over 100° this week.

I am literally counting the weeks and days until October.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 4:05pm
No 'global warming' in your area, eh?
India's massive use of water and China's incredible amount of cement usage over the past decade has changed the axis of the earth, and thus the weather...which should have the USofA becoming a huge desert over the next few generations...I'm considering buying mountain top property (should become beach-front) in Antarctica for my chilluns! 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

We're looking at heat indexes (pardon me... indeces) of over 100° this week.

I am literally counting the weeks and days until October.
I don't see how you do it!  I would be sweating like a freak just sitting still.  The weather guys are describing our heat index as similar to what Florida feels like.  Yikes!  Thank God for central air!

The gas and electric bill was a near record low price, only $116.  These low bills always come during the transitional period of Spring and Fall.  No need for heat or cooling.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 5:06pm

...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TO 11 PM CDT FRIDAY... The National Weather Service in Green Bay has issued a Heat Advisory, which is in effect from noon to 11 PM CDT Friday. * TEMPERATURE...Highs are forecast to reach the lower to middle 90s on Friday, with heat index values of 100 to 106. * IMPACTS...Heat illnesses will be possible with prolonged outdoor

FOX 11 Severe Weather Center Heat Warnings, Watches Advisories
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 9:41pm
The temperature here right now is 108°F (42.2°C).

I flew my drone just a short time ago; according to the documentation for this drone its maximum ambient operating temperature is stated as 108°F. Geek

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 12:02am

I don't see how you do it!  I would be sweating like a freak just sitting still.  The weather guys are describing our heat index as similar to what Florida feels like.  Yikes!  Thank God for central air!

I stay in front of the fan as much as possible, don't move around much unless it's absolutely necessary and wear as few pieces of clothing as possible. Frequently none whatsoever.

And no, you would not want to see that.

The gas and electric bill was a near record low price, only $116.  These low bills always come during the transitional period of Spring and Fall.  No need for heat or cooling.

My utility bills are incredibly low year 'round.

During the summer, my average utility bill (electric, water and and all of the other fees and taxes they tack on to it) is between $55 and $65 per month. During the cool months I turn off the fans and never use a heater, so it drops down to between $40 and $45 a month.

Plus, with no TV cable or satellite dish, I pay nothing to watch TV.

No mortgage payments either, so thankfully, I'm able to live on very little money.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:43am

oppressive

If the weather or heat is oppressive, it is too hot and there is no wind:

It hit me when I walked out of the grocery store... Like a hot and wet slap in the face!

My glasses even fogged up!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 3:14am
All sorts of severe weather warnings going on here.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 5:07pm
My phone just about made me crap my pants!  I didn't sign up for any weather alerts! All of a sudden, my phone is going off like it never has before.  More weather is coming!  Mama is over in Winneconne so her day will be cut short.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 6:15pm

All sorts of severe weather warnings going on here.

Not to mention the fires and explosions...

...and power outages!!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 12:05pm
Appleton is about 30 minutes north and east of here...

City of Appleton gives update on debris cleanup, power outage Saturday night

WE Energies expects some outages in its service area could last for several days. We don’t know if this included Appleton, but people still without power should prepare accordingly.

* We ask all residents to stay off the roads tonight as much as possible. Our crews have been out since the storm passed through, moving trees from blocked roads, but this process will last at least through tomorrow.

* Some street lights will also be without power tonight. This will make travel difficult and harder to see downed power lines.

* Many street lights are without power or working in a flashing mode. We ask all residents to use caution around intersections and treat all flashing and non-functioning signals as a four-way stop. Intersections with no power have stop signs in place. As power comes back, some lights may resume normal operation and still have stop signs at them. In those instances drivers can follow the lights instead of the stop signs, but should still use caution as some drivers may be confused. As our crews are altered the intersection is working, they will remove the signs as soon as possible.

* We have food safety tips on our website for anyone still without power. Please share these reminders as some people will be without power for an extended period of time. https://www.appleton.org/home/showdocument?id=1212

* Our Glendale Ave. yard waste site will be open extended hours this week for residents to drop off storm debris. The site will be open every day next week from 9:00 a.m. - 6:45 p.m. our Whitman Ave. site will be open through Monday 9:00 a.m. to 6:45 p.m.

* We will hold a special citywide storm debris cleanup collection. Details on when the collection will take place are still being worked out.

* With the possibility of an extended power outage to some parts of the city, we ask that neighbors check on elderly and those without air conditioning during the next few days. If there are concerns about the welfare of a neighbor, contact APD at 832-5500.

* If drivers come upon a barricaded roadway, we want them to remember they should not drive around the barricade. Please help us remind people about this serious safety issue.

* Anyone who can not access their driveway may park on the street tonight without permission from APD. We ask others to stay off the street as much as possible to make cleanup for our crews more efficient.

* Property owners who are using generators to power their residence, to ensure all generator safety issues are addressed while their power is still out. This includes not using generators indoors or in a garage.

* Finally, we ask for patience. Our crews will be working long days for the next few weeks to cleanup from the storm. We are prioritizing cleanup on main roads first, then secondary roads on down to neighborhood streets, alleys and cul-de-sacs.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 6:03pm
With the heat index today, it is 115.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:28pm
Pretty nice day today. In the 70s and the Dew Point is down to 55!  How's it goin, Jimbo?

I'll try this again! Angry

Weather Authority: Multiple tornadoes confirmed on Saturday in Wisconsin

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:04am

Pretty nice day today. In the 70s and the Dew Point is down to 55!  How's it goin, Jimbo?

Not too bad around here today. Thunderstorms moved past but missed where I live. But we got the cloud cover and some of the nice breeze while I was out cutting the grass, so that was nice.

Stepped out at around 10 pm to go do my grocery shopping at Walmart and it was noticeably less warm and humid than usual. Not cool, but nicer than usual and a little breezy, too.

I like doing the shopping at night. Cooler outside, open parking spaces right in front of the store and I don't need to worry about finding a shady spot under a tree.

Might try to do that for the rest of the summer until the heat starts going away.

C'mon, man!
CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 7:23am
We had a wicked, nasty thunderstorm crash on through around 10:00 p.m., which was a messy end to a Monday.  Apparently it was the same front that brought all that damage to aka's state - we usually don't get tornado warnings here on Cape Cod, but they issued one for this doozy.  I don't ever recall seeing so much continuous lightning - the iPhone and the TV were blaring emergency warnings and I had the cats in their carriers, ready to run to the basement if it got any more crazy out there.  The wind, hail and rain squalls were fierce for about ten/fifteen minutes - and the thunder was shaking the house just about non-stop. News reports were that a house three streets south of ours was hit and caught fire.  There were trees reported down too, but none in our yard - I'll check in the morning.  All I could see was that the garden took a beating, but considering what could have happened, we were very fortunate.  Shocked
CapeCat
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 11:02am
I have yet to look outside, but we had one heck of a storm blow the incessant heat away...and that storm is to pick back up for the next 40 days and 40 nights. Think I need a boat - I'd like one, maybe, oh....say, an Ark. With a wet bar and a boatload of computers.
My youngest son got so tired of the heat in Lost Wages that he has taken the next week off to go to Seattle (one of the next places to drop off the face of the earth) to go stay with my youngest daughter for a week. He may make a wise decision and get the heck out of Vegas (one place I've never been and do not desire to see).
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by CapeCat CapeCat wrote:

We had a wicked, nasty thunderstorm crash on through around 10:00 p.m., which was a messy end to a Monday.  Apparently it was the same front that brought all that damage to aka's state - we usually don't get tornado warnings here on Cape Cod, but they issued one for this doozy.  I don't ever recall seeing so much continuous lightning - the iPhone and the TV were blaring emergency warnings and I had the cats in their carriers, ready to run to the basement if it got any more crazy out there.  The wind, hail and rain squalls were fierce for about ten/fifteen minutes - and the thunder was shaking the house just about non-stop. News reports were that a house three streets south of ours was hit and caught fire.  There were trees reported down too, but none in our yard - I'll check in the morning.  All I could see was that the garden took a beating, but considering what could have happened, we were very fortunate.  Shocked

So glad to hear that you and the kitties are safe!!!!

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 6:25pm
Yes! I'm glad CC is OK!

One of Mama's closest friends, was without power for more than 48 hours.

We both dodged a bullet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 175>
  Share Topic