Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's nice we are having weather today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 175>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 5:47pm
Snowing moderately heavy right now.  The roads were pretty good, though.  The supermarket, on the other hand...total traffic jam---and that was inside the store.  I guess everone's prepping for the whopping 3 inches of snow we're supposed to get.

Sponsored Links

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:39am
Almost lost my coffee plants.  Got down to 40 last night & they looked really wilted this morning, even though they were on the back porch.  They perked back up after being put in the sun and are now going to spend a few days in the (warmer) shed.  Probably should have covered up the pineapples too, as it's hit 38 already, and prob going lower.  I really need to pay attention to the 'done-in-a-minute-or-less' weather coverage/forecast on the TV news...  Ouch
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 5:50pm
Another nuisance light snow this morning, less than an inch.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 8:25pm
Snow has taken a break, finally. Worked my tail off on the driveway and the steps. Was completely exhausted after that! Before that I went to breakfast with my dad (got our table! Whoo hoo!). After that I met with my job coach and job councelor we discussed what type job I want and how many hours and what was my plan b. Very productive meeting. Was glad when it was over. I called mom she picked up now here I am. I also tackled the dishes and fixed the cats pan.

Oh jeez I forgot one thing, we get more snow tomorrow. Joy.

Oh BTW I chopped up the ice so it'll melt better.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 2:47pm
Expecting the first significant snowfall of the season during the day tomorrow. 3 to 6 inches.  Is it too early to start whining about it?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 3:36pm
It's been going down into the 40's here overnight and only in the 60's during the day!!!

Except for today. I think it's supposed to make it into the 70's....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 7:41pm
Winter has arrived...This is one of many things that piss me off about our local Fox station.  Not only are they the only station to name winter storms, every single f**king graphic has this big f**king 'O' in the middle of it!  AngryAngry

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 11:37am
Only about 2 inches of snow here, Green Bay got 7. I just did the hand work, it's cold out there!!  Only 7 above zero.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:34pm
You guys up there in the north are such sissies!!!

It's been in the 40's at night down here for several days in a row!!!!

(I never get tired of that.... )

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

You guys up there in the north are such sissies!!!

It's been in the 40's at night down here for several days in a row!!!!

(I never get tired of that.... )

LOL Yeah! The balls of men who live here are so cold...couples have fewer children. Tongue

It's as cold as....Well, you know.  But our old BIS wood burner is keeping the main part of the house nice and toasty. Probably, warmer than you are! Wink

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:13pm
Taking some steps to get ready for the next weather event, I needed firewood. Done!

We could get anywhere from 5 to 10 inches of snow over the next 3 days beginning Wednesday night.

Then, it turns sharply colder with a high of only 4 above on Christmas day. It's a downright balmy 42 degrees right now. Sunny and windy.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 8:16pm
Oh, with the Packer's loss on Sunday and Atlanta's win last night, we will not be in the playoffs!  Bah humbug!!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 5:51pm
It was 18 degrees when I got up this morning, it's 6 degrees right now.

A breezy west wind develops, and could gust to 30 mph. Wind chills will get progressively worse through the day. Daytime wind chills will range from -5 to -20. Chills as lows as -35 are expected overnight.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 6:10pm
F! More snow to shovel, haven't open my Christmas gifts yet! Cleared off the snow off dad's 1997 Cougar XR-7 to go to breakfast we went to Twin Colony since AC's was closed. Went back home cleared off my mom's car. Now I am watching Emergency! Till the presents are set up.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 6:29pm
You guys are gonna hate me for this (if you don't already) but it's in the mid to upper 60's here right now.

Clear and sunny with a light breeze.

Feels awesome.

So WTF am I doing sitting inside on the computer?????

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 7:49pm
The lowest natural temperature ever directly recorded at ground level on Earth is −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F; 184.0 K) at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica on July 21, 1983 by ground measurements.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 8:31pm
I just checked our old fashioned outdoor mercury thermometer...IT'S 2 ABOVE!!
I have remote thermometers in the garage and the crawlspace. 
I'm saving all of this damned money heating with wood. I bought a load on the 19th ($60.00) and I'm going to need another load by Friday. If I used the gas furnace it would be about $500 a month.
The woodburner has 2 built in fans, one of them has failed. I'm struggling to keep it a comfortable 72 degrees. I just looked up the price for 2 new fans and the temp sensor, it's over 300 bucks!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 8:57pm
Take the fans to a small electric repair shop. Maybe they can be fixed. New parts in the motors or something.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:16pm
I use a window fan to force more air through the stove, the wife hates all of the noise.

These fans are so cheap, I'm not sure they can be repaired. I may be able to find something at a place like Graingers.
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 2:15pm
Yesterday was the last day that will break 20 here for at least a week.  Until then it's going to struggle to hit double figures, it's going to be below zero about half of the nights, and wind chills for tomorrow morning (at least) will be somewhere between -15 and -20 in my neck of the woods.  On top of that, something with the heating system's on the fritz (it does technically work, I suppose, but it's screwy enough that the temps in the house stay in the 50s at best during the day and dip down below that at night), and there might be a snowstorm on Saturday to top all of this off.  Too much fun!
I have 168 characters remaining.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

Yesterday was the last day that will break 20 here for at least a week.  Until then it's going to struggle to hit double figures, it's going to be below zero about half of the nights, and wind chills for tomorrow morning (at least) will be somewhere between -15 and -20 in my neck of the woods.  On top of that, something with the heating system's on the fritz (it does technically work, I suppose, but it's screwy enough that the temps in the house stay in the 50s at best during the day and dip down below that at night), and there might be a snowstorm on Saturday to top all of this off.  Too much fun!
Shocked

What the heck am I whining about? That's freaking cold!
 Our 24 year old furnace is something less than efficient. The air that comes out of the vents should be warmer. The house is well insulated with 3 panes of glass including the storm windows. The bedroom was 62 this morning, not bad if you have some warm bedding. We have a gas fireplace in the bedroom as well, nice to take off the chill before our showers.

Maybe it's time to call your HVAC guy, NR. Good luck.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 6:55pm
I'm wondering if I should close my front door.

My feet feel are feeling a little bit chilly.

Maybe put some long pants on over my shorts, too.

Brrrrrr....

C'mon, man!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 9:17pm
According to The Weather Channel it'll take 30 minutes for an improperly clothed person to die from frostbite! Cheery news! It is COLD out here and it's expected to get COLDER! Last time I checked the temperature it was 6°F! Today after breakfast we went to Bristol to find Christmas ornaments it was slim pickings. There were plenty of ornaments just a lot of them weren't nice looking. After that we went to Carl's True Value for a new shovel and went to McDonalds to eat then went back home!
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

Shocked

What the heck am I whining about? That's freaking cold!
 Our 24 year old furnace is something less than efficient. The air that comes out of the vents should be warmer. The house is well insulated with 3 panes of glass including the storm windows. The bedroom was 62 this morning, not bad if you have some warm bedding. We have a gas fireplace in the bedroom as well, nice to take off the chill before our showers.

Maybe it's time to call your HVAC guy, NR. Good luck.

I'd kill for a consistent 62 right now....

Thanks for the good luck.  Right now the financial situation is a bit on the snugger side but it looks that'll be solved next week, so hopefully then we can call someone and get this rectified.  Just need to deal with the next few days (and find a fix for the shower water but that seems to be a separate problem and not nearly as essential, thank God it's probably not the water heater).

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm wondering if I should close my front door.

My feet feel are feeling a little bit chilly.

Maybe put some long pants on over my shorts, too.

Brrrrrr....

I have 168 characters remaining.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 1:14am
Sorry to hear about your predicament, NR - we have a neighbor in the same situation and donated a bunch of blankets when they refused an offer to hide in this old hellhole.
My father loves the heat set round about his age, so it was on 95 when I reset it a while ago. I'm going to get him one of those 'fake thermostats' where he can adjust wherever he wants and it will only change numbers (not hooked up). I'm always adjusting for all the other living critters and nobody around here looks really attractive wearing indoor beach wear.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 175>
  Share Topic