Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ad Council Gun Violence PSA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourstringdrums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ad Council Gun Violence PSA
    Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 11:28pm
A commercial I saw today for the Gun Violence Ad Council says that "x% of kids will be victims of gun violence", which they mean either being killed, or participate in it or whatever. They then proceed to show police cars and hearses driving down a nice little neighborhood street, and every so often a kid will get in the Hearse or one will get in the police car, or a mother will turn around and the kid has vanished. They then cut to the mother of each kid absolutely BAWLING.

It has got to be the worst commercial I have seen in a long time, and being a member here, that's saying a lot :)
Dad! The cable is out again CAN YOU FIXTH THIT!?
Sponsored Links

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2008 at 11:43pm
I haven't seen it, but it sounds like a commercial that will only preach to the choir.  No commercial is going to change the mind of anyone who believes that they have a right to carry a gun anywhere. 

Hell, being SHOT didn't even sway Ronald Reagan about gun control.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 1:27am
Whenever I go gold mining, my buddy Charlie carries a handgun.  The 1,200 acre plot of woods and streams and hills is private property, but Mexican pot growers and meth manufacturers squat there, and do NOT want any interference.  Whenever he hears any sound that's not nature, he grabs the gun.

Also, some friends in Walnut Creek want to teach their kids how to use a weapon.  One of them goes to UC Berkeley, and lives in the town of, and may very well need one.  Lotta crime there.  He's been hassled once or twice already.

I have no problem with responsible people owning firearms.  If I lived in a bad area of town, I'd probably have one, too.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 2:18am
SleepySleepySleepy
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Whenever I go gold mining, my buddy Charlie carries a handgun.  The 1,200 acre plot of woods and streams and hills is private property, but Mexican pot growers and meth manufacturers squat there, and do NOT want any interference.  Whenever he hears any sound that's not nature, he grabs the gun.

Also, some friends in Walnut Creek want to teach their kids how to use a weapon.  One of them goes to UC Berkeley, and lives in the town of, and may very well need one.  Lotta crime there.  He's been hassled once or twice already.

I have no problem with responsible people owning firearms.  If I lived in a bad area of town, I'd probably have one, too.

Yes, for self-protection, I could see having a gun, especially in the first instance and the last.  Carrying one in Berkeley may not be the brightest idea.

promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 7:01am
Here's a statistical fact for you, 100% of children will die at some point in their life. OH GOD, WE'RE LITERALLY ALL GOING TO DIE!
I love commercials, for the most part.
ZoomZoom View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZoomZoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 7:38am

Trust me.  You live in a city like Memphis for even a short time, you will see the need to always carry a gun.  I've had quite a few guns flashed at me while driving around, for the most of them, there was no cause for it.  The other times was due to rapidly escalating road rage on both our parts.
----
Dude was walking home(in a 'good' part of town) in the middle of the day.  Was jumped and beaten nearly to death.   They got a way with a few bucks.

There was a shootout through several major streets today.
Just checked the news site,  looks like there was just another triple shooting.

---Sorry about going off on that tangent

Our enemies shall be eaten by squirrels
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 3:46pm
Woah. Thor, you're a crazy ol' prospector?
I wanna hunt for gold!

That's awesome.

I visit my sister in Alaska a lot and we always talk of going panning up there. My brother in law knows some local guys as he does a lot of bush work so he meets more "colorful" Alaskans. You know, the off the grid types.
They always tell him where stuff is that tourists and Anchorageites don't bother or know to visit.

As for the Ad Council. They lost me years ago when they ran a series of ads warning on the effects of .... air turbulence.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 3:50pm
My dad is an econ geologist who specializes in ore deposits. This is what all of our "vacations" were like when I was a kid. 
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Woah. Thor, you're a crazy ol' prospector?
I wanna hunt for gold!

That's awesome.

I visit my sister in Alaska a lot and we always talk of going panning up there. My brother in law knows some local guys as he does a lot of bush work so he meets more "colorful" Alaskans. You know, the off the grid types.
They always tell him where stuff is that tourists and Anchorageites don't bother or know to visit.

I've gone panning*, dredging, and detecting, jeroboam.  Dredging's your best bet for actually finding gold, but it's a lot of work.  Okay, actually blasting holes in mountains and setting up a whole gold mining operation is your best bet, but dredging's your next best bet.

It's really more some friends' operation.  I enjoy it, but have few expectations.  Still, you never know!

But yeah, Alaska's another good destination for that sort of thing, too.  And if you're really ambitious, I guess you could try finding the Lost Dutchman gold mine.

*When I've gone panning, I've invariably found a lot of old nails, railroad spikes, and even flasks belonging to the gold miners and mines of the 1800's.  That's kind of cool in itself.

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 6:01pm
See I admit I would probably get all giddy over those artifacts as much as 40 bucks in gold dust.

Who knows, I will really have to look further in to it.
There is a family legend that my great uncle ozzy found gold here in Washington state when he was hunting and he even had some nuggets, but he didn't own the land.
I know where it was supposed to have been found, but now it's all built up with McMansions up there, so any gold that was there was found and gone, or not found and under a 2 million dollar home's patio or something.

He was the same great uncle who died in prison (wrote bad checks) and held up a still that inadvertantly was run by a local sheriff.
I have the rifle.

JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 12:22am
I have seen that commercial and I hate it.  I do not want to think about death, yet they show me that. 

I would probably be happy that I found the older things of the miners beforehand.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 8:07am
More agenda driven fear mongering. So far the only thing gun control laws have succeeded in doing is making more for law abiding citizens to jump through. The reality you're not going to legislate people into morality. Criminals only strike those they think they have an advantage over. If they don't have guns they'll use knives. If not knives, blunt objects. If not blunt objects then either brute strength or shear numbers.  
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 4:11pm

I have the rifle.

And you may need to use it if you ever find a good goldmining spot.  Hey, this is still the wild West in some ways, isn't it?

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 4:44pm
It's a cool little rifle. Single shot, breech  .22
It was my was great grandpa's. So it could easily be from the late 19th century.
I used to shoot it a lot but the breech loading sticks and won't spring back sometimes so I put it away.

One of those guns best left admired I think, considering the history and the fact that it was probably a run of mill low end my grandpa to kill rats or something.

Update: Just looked, if anyone cares, it's a Remington Model 4 short long.
They were made from 1890-1933. Mine is from the 20s I guess. So not as old as I suspected but still fits in with the stories.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 6:48pm
Yeah, my dad used to carry when we would go out to some of the places in Nevada. That is one lawless state.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 9:13pm

It's a cool little rifle. Single shot, breech  .22
It was my was great grandpa's. So it could easily be from the late 19th century.
I used to shoot it a lot but the breech loading sticks and won't spring back sometimes so I put it away.

One of those guns best left admired I think, considering the history and the fact that it was probably a run of mill low end my grandpa to kill rats or something.

Update: Just looked, if anyone cares, it's a Remington Model 4 short long.
They were made from 1890-1933. Mine is from the 20s I guess. So not as old as I suspected but still fits in with the stories.

Keep it oiled and it'll last forever. I don't remember what model this is(w/o going to look) but Granddad engraved "1942" into the end of the buttstock.
We found a Colt Model 1932 32. ACP and a Colt 1945 45.ACP both wrapped in cheese cloth
when going thru his drawers after he died.Approve

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

We found a Colt Model 1932 32. ACP and a Colt 1945 45.ACP both wrapped in cheese cloth
when going thru his drawers after he died.Approve

I went through my father's drawers after he died.  Only kept ones that were still in their package.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 2:03am
Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

Yeah, my dad used to carry when we would go out to some of the places in Nevada. That is one lawless state.

As is Nevada County, California---which is right next to the property where we go gold dredging.  Lotta drug activity---pot farms, meth labs, etc.---and a lotta sex offenders and other sordid ex-cons.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 7:02am

As is Nevada County, California---which is right next to the property where we go gold dredging.  Lotta drug activity---pot farms, meth labs, etc.---and a lotta sex offenders and other sordid ex-cons.

Thor, are you sure you're not talking about San Francisco?  We have all of that here, too--except the pot farms are inside houses. LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 5:28pm
Good point, Faith!  LOL

And just like bears sh*t in the woods, some people in SF sh*t between parked cars.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

More agenda driven fear mongering. So far the only thing gun control laws have succeeded in doing is making more for law abiding citizens to jump through. The reality you're not going to legislate people into morality. Criminals only strike those they think they have an advantage over. If they don't have guns they'll use knives. If not knives, blunt objects. If not blunt objects then either brute strength or shear numbers.  

Poor little law abiding gun owners. Having to fill out more paperwork. What a horrible  injustice!!! What an unconscionable inconvenience!!! Parish the the thought than an American citizen might be....... <<gasp!!!!!>>......... 

inconvenienced!!!!  Shocked

One can only imagine if guns were rare, the number of drive by clubbings & stabbings we'd be hearing about. Little kids inside their homes at night being killed when some thug drove by & tried to club a rival gang member from the window of his car & a splinter flew off the club, pierced the wall of the kid's house & struck him in the head. And all those 9mm semi automatic knives that they can just point at someone & mow down innocent bystanders all the way across the street. And let's not forget the road rage incidents where someone is driving down the freeway & somebody in another car gets mad about something then pulls out a knife or a club & hollers at them to please pull over somewhere so they can knife or club them.

Oh the carnage.

Yeah, you really got a handle on it there, DirtyD.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:51pm

Must be those "trend setting" Californians you were talking about, eh? Wink

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 9:53pm

I realize this is nit-picky as hell, but wouldn't it be more like "one law breaking state?"

Because I'm pretty sure they have laws..... probably just hardly anyone obeys em. Wink

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2008 at 1:27am
Ya want your's bleeding or well done?Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic