Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What trends piss you ioff in commercials?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken 1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 4:41pm
Congratulations on 100 replies, Randy! Fake, too cheery smiles in commercials piss me off.
Sponsored Links

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Randy Crawford Randy Crawford wrote:

Thanks for the congratulations.  I honestly did not expect my thread to reach 100 replies.  I thought it would have reached about 30 replies, tops.  I am honored that my thread got around 100 replies.....Smile Thanks, guys....Smile

Thank YOU for starting this thread! Wink
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:22pm
Not in commercials, but on this site - people quoting other people without removing videos or irrelevant text.

In commercials, people talking with other people's voices - State Farm, Passat, etc.
AntiCorp View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AntiCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 12:02pm
I'm usually working on my computer or generally trying to ignore commercials but some are just so annoying that the sounds make it through my defense. 
Like the free credit report group rapping. 'haters best get to bloggin' and some other crap to that effect. And there's another commercial for Honda where the 'sales lady'-?? Is reading a tweet from someone and then she says 'hashtag Yeahuh' trying to act gangsta. ----  This whole adopting urban slang and thinking it's clever or cool because it is so out of context has never been either of those things. I don't know why exactly but I always find it kind of nauseating. ... .I feel embarrassed for the people doing it, and the people who came up with it, and the corporate dimwits who thought it was so good they green-lighted using it.

There also seems to be this trend to make a lot of friggin noise by rapidly cutting together a lot of what sounds like to me as industrial sounds. I guess it's supposed to get the attention of people who'd be interested in that noise. It makes me want to mute or change the channel as fast as possible.

Another sound related complaint is the male voice over guy who sounds like he's talking to a little child as he tells you how cool the latest gadget is. I've noticed the same kind of thing in a few commercials but I think a good example would be apple commercials. They also use a lot of music that sounds infantile and somewhat fey. It's kinda hard to describe but Imagine a man speaking to a three year old accompanied by the sound of a 3 year old's little toy xylophone and I think you'll have a good idea what the type of sickening commercial I'm talking about sounds like.

70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by AntiCorp AntiCorp wrote:

I'm usually working on my computer or generally trying to ignore commercials but some are just so annoying that the sounds make it through my defense. 
Like the free credit report group rapping. 'haters best get to bloggin' and some other crap to that effect. And there's another commercial for Honda where the 'sales lady'-?? Is reading a tweet from someone and then she says 'hashtag Yeahuh' trying to act gangsta. ----  This whole adopting urban slang and thinking it's clever or cool because it is so out of context has never been either of those things. I don't know why exactly but I always find it kind of nauseating. ... .I feel embarrassed for the people doing it, and the people who came up with it, and the corporate dimwits who thought it was so good they green-lighted using it.

There also seems to be this trend to make a lot of friggin noise by rapidly cutting together a lot of what sounds like to me as industrial sounds. I guess it's supposed to get the attention of people who'd be interested in that noise. It makes me want to mute or change the channel as fast as possible.

Another sound related complaint is the male voice over guy who sounds like he's talking to a little child as he tells you how cool the latest gadget is. I've noticed the same kind of thing in a few commercials but I think a good example would be apple commercials. They also use a lot of music that sounds infantile and somewhat fey. It's kinda hard to describe but Imagine a man speaking to a three year old accompanied by the sound of a 3 year old's little toy xylophone and I think you'll have a good idea what the type of sickening commercial I'm talking about sounds like.

Welcome to CIH! Big smile
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
jwmmakerofmusic View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwmmakerofmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 5:37pm
Was I the 100th reply?

@AntiCorp

Welcome aboard to the internet's best support group.

Man, as far as adopting urban gangsta slang is concerned, you forgot the worst offender of 2013 so far, Kmart's back to school layaway "yo mama" ad. Where do I even begin?

Okay, the kids in the school yard sound like they're dissing each other but are actually dishing out compliments, gangsta style. Not just with slang, but complete with hand gestures and an extremely over exaggerated "urban Black" accent. For instance, the little White kid opens the ad by saying, "Yo Julio, I just wanna "akse" you a question." Back in my day (no Uverse reference intended), if a White person did that, it would be considered mocking, poking fun, or simply called "trying to act Black", and bottom line, was considered offensive. So, why 20-some years later is it supposed to be funny?

Well, it isn't funny! It is so, ugh, just so aggravating. First time I saw it, I said aloud, "That is the dumbest bulls**t I've ever seen in my entire life!" At least this ad...

...isn't so bad. Rapping to sell clothes. While that's also annoying, Kmart should've stuck to this.

-------

As far as noises in ads, the thing I can't stand the most are loud crunching and mouth noise ads! This is my biggest pet peeve of all.

I admit, the idea behind the ad is pretty cool due to it's campy surrealism, but the loud crunching sounds are absolutely grating. Here are a couple more examples. Starting with Lays:

Then there's Tostitos:

Now to the Orville Redenbacher ads:

We get it! Popcorn and chips are supposed to be crunchy. You don't need to demonstrate it by having every few seconds filled with these damn loud crunching sounds! Dumb humor can be achieved without these sounds. For example...

When Kriss eats a kernel, do you hear a crunching sound? Stepping away from food related ads for a second:

Yep, before the "It's Not Complicated" and "Back in my day" ad campaigns, AT&T had this. So, why is looking like a dumb fish face while loudly eating something supposed to be funny?

Finally, no "crunching noise in ads" pet peeve rant would be complete without the worst offender of them all, Kit Kat!

That's the classic jingle most of us love. I grew up with that jingle. Starting in 2009, Kit Kat then decided to torture us with these ads.

The last one was from May of this year, but I haven't seen it on much anymore thank goodness. I'm sure there are other ads out there related to my pet peeve, but I can't think of any at the moment.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 6:22pm
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Too many commercials in one post! I can't take it!
AntiCorp View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 7:20pm
Thanks for the welcome!

In the first one you posted (I can only take watching one) I haven't seen in my area (thank god) but it seems like they are trying to take it the other way by trying to make the kids seem 'urban' then making them say adult/business/conservative things. As if to say, look at the little minorities what a stretch it is to see them speak intelligently - They're just reinforcing stereotypes both ways with that one.Dead They need to make an emoticon where the little circle head is puking.
AntiCorp View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 7:23pm
Thanks for the welcome!Big smile
jwmmakerofmusic View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwmmakerofmusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 7:40pm

Thanks for the welcome!

In the first one you posted (I can only take watching one) I haven't seen in my area (thank god) but it seems like they are trying to take it the other way by trying to make the kids seem 'urban' then making them say adult/business/conservative things. As if to say, look at the little minorities what a stretch it is to see them speak intelligently - They're just reinforcing stereotypes both ways with that one.Dead They need to make an emoticon where the little circle head is puking.

Lol, I don't blame you for not watching more than one. I saw companies do the stereotype reenforcements the other way many times as well. It's not a stretch for a non-Asian minority to become successful. Well, playing up stereotypes and racism in advertising is nothing new.

http://owni.eu/2011/03/12/racism-in-advertising-50-shocking-examples/

However, compared to those 50 extreme examples, the Kmart ad isn't so bad. It's simply a tamer version of exploiting stereotypes.
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:52pm
The Fiber One guy should be put at one of those Dunk Tank contests, At the fair.     
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 12:23am
Originally posted by jwmmakerofmusic jwmmakerofmusic wrote:

Thanks for the welcome!

Lol, I don't blame you for not watching more than one. I saw companies do the stereotype reenforcements the other way many times as well. It's not a stretch for a non-Asian minority to become successful. Well, playing up stereotypes and racism in advertising is nothing new.

http://owni.eu/2011/03/12/racism-in-advertising-50-shocking-examples/

However, compared to those 50 extreme examples, the Kmart ad isn't so bad. It's simply a tamer version of exploiting stereotypes.

Over half of those "extreme" examples are only examples of "extreme over-reaction"
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 4:26am
Plus that SMUG, STUFFY Ensure Bottle stalwart who acts so freaking condescending as he stands. With his arms bent grabbing his hips, Like some pompous a** who thinks he's Superman.
littleclams View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleclams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:02pm
hey guys i'm new to the forums, but i hate some commercials just as much as you guys haha. i think the trend i hate the most in commercials are bratty kids and soft parents. and commercials that just try too hard to be funny. i expect commercials to just tell me about the product, i don't really care if it's funny!
AntiCorp View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntiCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 9:48pm
Yeah trying to be funny and not succeeding seems to be the norm. Also, commercials where the actors are too happy Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile I know they don't want to have a bunch of gloomy people representing their product but just going too far the other way really sets off my BS meter. If anybody really acted that happy over a car or phone or taco or whatever you'd probably suggest they seek professional help.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 10:25pm

^  Related.  Guys smiling in the mirror as they admire their smooth shave, and women smiling in ecstacy as they eat chocolate or yogurt. 

AntiCorp View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AntiCorp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 11:03pm
HA - Women smiling in ecstasy as they eat chocolate or yogurt.  A sublimation of other desires perhaps?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 12:29am

HA - Women smiling in ecstasy as they eat chocolate or yogurt.  A sublimation of other desires perhaps?

Yeah, that's the general consensus arund here.  We've discussed this often.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 1:02am
Originally posted by NJtoTX NJtoTX wrote:

Not in commercials, but on this site - people quoting other people without removing videos or irrelevant text.

ClapClap
paradisecircus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paradisecircus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 3:09am
No offense to those that like the group but that damn Owl City song on the new Oreo commercial. The lead singer's voice instantly makes me want to rip my own ears off. I think the commercial animation is awesome but the song kills it. And in response to an earlier reply about bastardizing good songs, one that comes to mind is Nestle using Melt With You. How dare you bastardize The Cure to sell your crappy chocolate!!! I am shocked and appalled, sir.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 3:29am
The animation is fantastic but the song? Frankly, it sucks!

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 12:20am
The dippy damsel bouncing on the bed like some cheap t*rt in that optical ad.
AllyG47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyG47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 8:47am
I had to sign up for this forum because this new tread is pissing me off and I have to complain about it. I hate when commercials sound like movie trailers but they are really advertising products. Here are some examples:

Ford also has an annoying commercial where there are two women stealing artwork. By now I've learned to mute the dumb Ford ads but more and more products are being advertised as movie trailers. Just last week I saw a new commercial like this (I can't remember exactly what it was for but I think it was Subway). Ugh!! Confused
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 6:57pm
The Sears ones are awesome. Other than that, I agree.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
myla81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myla81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 7:18am
The overuse of pop music. That horrible iconopop (is that the name) way too many commercials and in movie trailers. Also that can't hold us song by macklemore, all over commercials and movie trailers as well.  Just stop it already!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic