Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Joey Covington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Joey Covington
    Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 5:53am
Joey Covington was an outstanding rock drummer who worked with the Jefferson Starship and Hot Tuna.
He was only 67 years old, but left us today because he was driving without wearing a seat belt....not good.
I got out some of my Hot Tuna and J.S. cd's and gave them a listen tonight, he kept a good beat.
I'm sure he's in heaven's growing rock band right now. He was the man who introduced John Creach to the J.A. Family, and he was the person who started calling Mr. Creach "Papa".
He would've been with J.A. at Woodstock if he hadn't broken his leg before the festival. He did record and tour with J.A. In their later period ( Volunteers, Bark, Long John Silver ) and remained with them when they became Jefferson Starship.
I met him several years back when I was cooking for another group of musicians he was friends with. Joey was a good guy, and a bit of a practical joker.
I hate when I see good guys like him leave us.
One man gathers what another man spills
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 2:59pm

Sh*t.  Jefferson Airplane was (and remains) one of my favorite bands of all time.  In fact, they were my first real concert---in 1970 or 71 at Wall Stadium in Monmouth County, NJ.

Covington replaced Spencer Dryden as drummer when the Airplane decided they wanted someone less jazz-oriented and more rock-oriented.  Dryden died awhile back. 

Considering everything, it's pretty surprising that so many people from the Airplane and the Starship are still alive.

Jimmy, I met Paul Kantner in the 80s when he used to bring his daughter China to see Bobcat Goldthwait at the comedy club where I used to work.  He'd stay back near the door with me so that China could just hang with her friends.  He was a nice guy, and I wanted to tell him how much I used to love his music, but then I'd be telling him how much I used to love his music.  I never liked much of the Starship after Dragonfly.  And by the 80s---yikes!

I also met Papa John Creach at the Haight Street Fair maybe in 1984.  My roommate was involved in securing bands for the fair, and used to have some of the musicians hang out at our pad, which was just a few blocks from the fair.  Papa John was one of 'em.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Jimmy, I met Paul Kantner in the 80s when he used to bring his daughter China to see Bobcat Goldthwait at the comedy club where I used to work.  He'd stay back near the door with me so that China could just hang with her friends.  He was a nice guy, and I wanted to tell him how much I used to love his music, but then I'd be telling him how much I used to love his music.  I never liked much of the Starship after Dragonfly.  And by the 80s---yikes!

I also met Papa John Creach at the Haight Street Fair maybe in 1984.  My roommate was involved in securing bands for the fair, and used to have some of the musicians hang out at our pad, which was just a few blocks from the fair.  Papa John was one of 'em.

http://namedroppers.livejournal.com/

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 9:38pm

Yeah, I know.  It does kinda sound, well---name-dropper-y.  But I met these people, so it makes me famous-once-removed, myself. 

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 2:17am
[QUOTE=Thor]

Yeah, I know.  It does kinda sound, well---name-dropper-y.  But I met these people, so it makes me famous-once-removed, myself. 

[/QUOTE

Don't concern yourselves with that name dropper stuff, Thor. It was a cool story, and very like Paul to hang back and let China be a kid and have some private time with her friends.
It's so funny that you said that J.A. was one of your favourite bands, mine too!
btw, just to add to the namedropperism, the group of musicians I was cooking for were the Grateful Dead.....I'm still rather close to Billy Kreutzmann and see him each time he heads east.
It's also strange that the only members of J.A./ J.S. who've died other than Papa John Creach were the two main drummers. Kantner, Balin, Casady, Kaukonen, and Slick are still alive and kickin'!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 3:03am

I wish Slick was "kickin'", as well as "alive".  She retired long ago, saying that she didn't wanna be a 50 y/o rock star.  She occasionally comes out for an interview or to dedicate an airplane (Virgin).  I was just listening to a Great Society CD out on my patio a few days ago, myself.

My bro saw Jorma a few years ago at a little venue in North Jersey.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 3:46am
Confused...have to offer an RIP, but must admit I was *never* a JA fan.
I know who Joey Covington was, I knew the band (from the 'oppotunity-to-be-a-fan-perspective'), but they never 'caught me' (but I've always been a 'Hot Tuna' fan).
Blame it on Grace Slick (just never cared for her, no idea why...)
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:02am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Blame it on Grace Slick (just never cared for her, no idea why...)

Lemme take a stab at it.... she can't sing worth crap?

Thassit!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:06am

Sorry.  She's got a great voice.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:11am
She always sounded flat to me.

Linda Ronstadt & Joan Baez have great voices.

Madonna has a great voice.

Grace Slick....

It's all opinion.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:22am
Actually, I hate saying this as it does nothing to dispel stereotypes, but I have to say Madonna's voice actually has some really good potential after she had extensive vocal training for Evita. I recall a casual behind-the-scenes video where she sings a quick little portion of Big Spender and it sounded decent.

Of course, that means diddly-squat as she continues to make "popular" crap.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

She always sounded flat to me.

Linda Ronstadt & Joan Baez have great voices.

Madonna has a great voice.

Grace Slick....

It's all opinion.

Madonna's good.  Ronstadt's good.  Joan Baez, however...

Another one who supposedly had a great voice, but I can't stand the sound of, is Joni Mitchell.  She always sounded like a dying cow to me.

I like Exene from X, even though she can't sing at all.  Something about her harmonies with John Doe, do it for me.  It's all subjective...as it should be, I guess.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:31am
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Actually, I hate saying this as it does nothing to dispel stereotypes, but I have to say Madonna's voice actually has some really good potential after she had extensive vocal training for Evita. I recall a casual behind-the-scenes video where she sings a quick little portion of Big Spender and it sounded decent.

Of course, that means diddly-squat as she continues to make "popular" crap.

I think she's got a really rich voice, but, oddly, the only song I like by her is Like a Virgin, in which she sounds like a munchkin.

Ray of Light is okay, too.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:35am

Managed to find what I was talking about.

Actually, I've been finding the songs I prefer tend to be the ones that aren't the promotional songs. I find that that tends to be the fluff, and the stuff that has merit beyond being good Wal-Mart music is the stuff you only hear on the album.

In some way, I've found that true of a lot of music.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 4:51am

That whole era of Madonna and Michael Jackson made me sick.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 5:08am

I think she's got a really rich voice, but, oddly, the only song I like by her is Like a Virgin, in which she sounds like a munchkin.

Ray of Light is okay, too.

Papa Don't Preach.

Don't really love the song, but her voice is really strong.

Lucky Star is another good one.

I actually like that song a lot.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 5:18am

Madonna's good.  Ronstadt's good.  Joan Baez, however...

Another one who supposedly had a great voice, but I can't stand the sound of, is Joni Mitchell.  She always sounded like a dying cow to me.

Baez was better in the early 60's back when she first got famous.

Joan Baez In Concert Part 1 is a good album. Some good traditional folk songs like Pretty Boy Floyd, Gospel Ship, The House Carpenter, & a good cover of Dylan's Don't Think Twice It's Alright.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 5:19am
CryI'm so f'king upset I can't bite!
Who said they don't adore Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell?!
What do you mean? Were you simply 'raised wrong'?!
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:26pm

Thank you so much for saying that!
It has spawned the current trend is lousy, faceless, soulless, talentless, "music" that Mad Donna, MJ, & MTV plunged down the collective throats of an entire generation. The same generation who finds us, and our type of music to e old and out-moded....yet the songs our favourites wrote and performed back in the 60's and 70's say more about today's living conditions than what is being done today!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:37pm
Grace is enjoying her retirement from the music biz by chilling out and painting in her studio. She's not a bad fine artist, but Joni's stuff is masterful. Joni is also in semi-retirement.
Both ladies know they're older, and are physically less attractive than they were in their heydays.
Joan Baez however, still sings. She's quite big in Europe. Still does festivals, and still has an amazing voice. Ms. Baez also paints! She did a portrait of one of her relations last year ( it was either a granddaughter, or grand niece) that was an excellent painting. It was done in the same fashion as Renoir!
So our former ladies of music are still producing artistic projects....that's why I say alive & kickin'!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

So our former ladies of music are still producing artistic projects....that's why I say alive & kickin'!

At least they opted for something much quieter than rock music.  Cherie Currie of The Runaways now does chainsaw art.  LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

Thank you so much for saying that!
It has spawned the current trend is lousy, faceless, soulless, talentless, "music" that Mad Donna, MJ, & MTV plunged down the collective throats of an entire generation. The same generation who finds us, and our type of music to e old and out-moded....yet the songs our favourites wrote and performed back in the 60's and 70's say more about today's living conditions than what is being done today!

Overproduced, unimaginative and designed for sales only. 

Even after their success with Surrealistic Pillow, JA took a chance by putting out one of the earliest of the "concept albums", After Bathing at Baxters.

Grace sounds great in this song, which is an homage to James Joyce.  I'm trying to imagine Taylor Swift doing an homage to James Joyce (or anyone other than herself)  LOL.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:55pm
A cool thing Jorma is currently doing is this, he owns/ runs a music venue in Ohio called The Fur Peace Ranch. He also teaches his guitar technique there, and performs there. He even has an open mic night for the newbies.
This year he opened a Woodstock memorabilia museum at Fur Peace as well. Included are clothing worn during Woodstock, guitars used, actual posters from that era....and many more things he and his friends have donated to be included for display. He even shows up at his museum!
I also saw him a few years ago here in NJ at a very small hall. I sat within handshake distance from him, he looked over at me when he sat down to play and laughed. He put out his hand to tap fists, and told the audience that I was an old friend. Then he asked if there was anything I wanted to hear that night. The Water Song, was all I said. Then he went right into it and it was done so amazingly.
The crowd gave him a standing ovation, and that was only his first song.
"I hope I don't disappoint you all for the other stuff we're gonna play tonight" he said with his happy, gold toothed grin. Then commenced with an outstanding two hour concert of his current music, mixed with a few songs from J.A. and Hot Tuna.
I'm so glad Jorma takes good care of himself. He's such a wonderful person!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:59pm

Did you by any chance see him at The Tabernacle in Mt. Tabor?  I think that's where my bro saw him.  My bro also told me about the camp.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 4:11am
It was way down in Salem County at a tiny place named The Appel Farms Arts & Music Centre. It's a charming little place, great sound, and only seats about 400 people!
I also saw Richie Havens there during the same year when I saw Jorma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic