Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coca-Cola obesity ad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coca-Cola obesity ad
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:13pm
Oh the irony! Coca-Cola promoting healthy, anti-obesity lifestyles with their "diet" products full of artificial sweeteners. Oh by the way, thanks Coca-Cola for explaining the obvious. "If you take in my calories than you burn off, you gain weight." No sh*t!

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:43pm

I drink diet soda, and use sucralose (Splenda) in place of sugar when I can.

The fear that some have re artificial sweeteners is really just monsters under the bed.  There's not much out there that would sway me against artificial sweeteners.  In fact, there's almost nothing.  On the other hand, we know what real sugar does in regards diabetes, obesity and tooth decay. 

Thus, I see no reason to not use artificial sweeteners.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 8:48pm
Christ, They should go back to the ORIGINAL Coke.
Holy sh!t, It sounds like a 2 minute disclaimer at the end of a drug commercial.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

Oh the irony! Coca-Cola promoting healthy, anti-obesity lifestyles with their "diet" products full of artificial sweeteners. Oh by the way, thanks Coca-Cola for explaining the obvious. "If you take in my calories than you burn off, you gain weight." No sh*t!

Maybe Bloomberg bought Coca Cola.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The fear that some have re artificial sweeteners is really just monsters under the bed.  There's not much out there that would sway me against artificial sweeteners.  In fact, there's almost nothing.  On the other hand, we know what real sugar does in regards diabetes, obesity and tooth decay. 

I don't have a "sweet tooth". 4 ounces of raw sugar crystals will last me a year or more.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2013 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

"If you take in more calories than you burn off, you gain weight." No sh*t!

Sadly it seems like very few actually understand this simple rule, or it's opposite "If you burn more than you take in, you'll lose weight."

I mean, look at the world we live in. We have no-carb diets being promoted as healthy, diets that say "If you eat XX after 12:00A.M., no matter how much, you'll gain weight." "Eating this fat will make you lose weight, but this one will make you gain weight." "Eating protein won't make you gain fat as much as eating carbs or fat."

And so on, and so on. I have had people adamantly fight the notion that calories have anything to do with gaining weight/losing weight, backing their claims with the kind of bullsh*t you read in magazines or the internet.

THat said, I love Diet Coke. Have since I was a kid. I'd prefer if they switched to a sugar alcohol like xylitol over Aspartame, but there's no major risk unless you're downing litres like m&ms
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:07am
they need to get rid of the bvo in their beverages rather than acting like sugary sodas and "health" drinks are good for you. you walked for fifteen minutes, you don't need a powerade.

and exactly, codtaro. i've been on a diet since the beginning of the year and people have asked me what i've been doing. a couple people have been shocked when i saw cutting calories. seriously? that's the consensus on how to best lose weight. everything else seems to be just a temporary fix. low-carb/no-carb, flushes, all that stuff seems like you lose some weight, but as soon as you go off the diet you gain it all back. obviously i exercise too, but in terms of how i eat it's just cutting calories, and some people look at me like i know the meaning of life.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:14am

Other than that they taste horrible & are utterly unsatisfying.

I try to limit my regular sugared soda consumption to one a week on Saturday night, but tonight I had two.

I love cola sooooooooooooooooooo much.

I wish I could drink it all day every day.

I'd like another one right now.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:18am
I once lost 75lbs over a less than 6-month period. Here's the part that would scare these new "health experts" - I did it while eating out a lot and EATING BREAD (OOOH SCARY!!!! That's the bogeyman of all the dieting gurus these days!). I would just eat a very light breakfast, skip lunch, and save all my calories for dinner - made it really easy.
maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 12:31pm
Actually I applaud Coke for this commercial.. and not because of anti-obesity moves they are making.. but because they have been forced into them by stupid people and threats from a nanny-state government. I thin kit was totally awesome the way the passive-aggressively told everyone watching that them gaining weight was -THEIR- problem, not Cokes.

Essentially, it called anyone that thinks you get fat simply by drinking soda, the idiots they are.

This commercial was freaking awesome. 
maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 12:44pm

Splenda is possibly more dangerous for you than sugar. In fact, all those chemically created sugar supplements are to some extent. It's not a monster under the bed. But you can keep thinking that. The fact is there are a lots of real problems with artificial sweeteners and many more long-term effects that aren't even known at this time since some are so new. Splenda is made by chlorinating sugar. The hydroxyl groups in a sugar molecule are replaced with chlorine molecules. That's disgusting. Chlorine is highly toxic. You might as well dip all your food in the local pool.

There are tons of reasons not to use artificial sweeteners. Being a diabetic is about the only rational one where the risk of ill effects from these artificial chemicals outweighs the risk of death from hyperglycemia. For everyone else, you are going to be healthier with real sugar in moderation than with copious amounts of fake sugar.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I try to limit my regular sugared soda consumption to one a week on Saturday night, but tonight I had two.

I have to be really desparate to drink a diet soda. Otherwise, I'd actually rather have water.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:28pm
Or at least carbonated water anyway.

With sugar in it...

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by maskddingo maskddingo wrote:

Splenda is possibly more dangerous for you than sugar. In fact, all those chemically created sugar supplements are to some extent. It's not a monster under the bed. But you can keep thinking that. The fact is there are a lots of real problems with artificial sweeteners and many more long-term effects that aren't even known at this time since some are so new. Splenda is made by chlorinating sugar. The hydroxyl groups in a sugar molecule are replaced with chlorine molecules. That's disgusting. Chlorine is highly toxic. You might as well dip all your food in the local pool.

There are tons of reasons not to use artificial sweeteners. Being a diabetic is about the only rational one where the risk of ill effects from these artificial chemicals outweighs the risk of death from hyperglycemia. For everyone else, you are going to be healthier with real sugar in moderation than with copious amounts of fake sugar.

Sorry---not buying it.  The only study that seems to show anything substantially dangerous in Sucralose, involved giving it to rats.  That shrunk their thymus glands.  Even then, scientists say that's a common physical reaction in rats to stress, as well.  On top of that, the human equivalent (based on weight) of more than 35,000 teaspoons of Splenda per day had been given to rats showing thymus shrinkage.  These same scientists found no change in the thymus in rats when given a mere 17,000 teaspoonfuls.

Another test showed increases in the fecal microflora (whatever that is) of lab rats, but not in humans.

Another one showed that the equiv of 11,000 packets/day of the stuff when given to rats, showed some DNA changes.  I'm 57 and not particularly worried about my DNA.

There's really nothing out there.  What I've seen from naysayers is that there haven't enough studies done to determine danger or toxicity.  You'd think that, after 20 or 30 years of this product being in existence, if there was something seriously dangerous to humans in sucralose, there'd be a little more out there.

This is why I say "monsters under the bed".  We know the problems with sugar, but we don't know of any serious problems with sucralose.

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:55pm
Personally, I buy Splenda in big bags at Sam's Club, and use it on grapefruits and to make 0-calorie Koolaid. Also recently I started making fresh squeezed strawberry lemonaide with it. In those applications it's very satisfying, as in you can't tell it's not sugar.

As for the commercial, it makes me think of gun control debates. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Just like Coke doesn't make you fat, it makes your face numb, and Coca Cola doesn't make you fat, drinking a couple 2 liters to wash down a pack of Ho-hos and a Snickers makes you fat. Thanks Coca Cola, you and the three Yahoo articles a day will eventually get it through people's heads that they alone control their consumption.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 2:58pm

If sugar had 0 calories and caused no problems, I'd still prefer the diet stuff.  I just like it better.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

As for the commercial, it makes me think of gun control debates. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Just like Coke doesn't make you fat, it makes your face numb, and Coca Cola doesn't make you fat, drinking a couple 2 liters to wash down a pack of Ho-hos and a Snickers makes you fat. Thanks Coca Cola, you and the three Yahoo articles a day will eventually get it through people's heads that they alone control their consumption.

Yep.  One study that came out awhile back linked the use of artificial sweeteners with actual weight gain!  But there was no cause-and-effect relationship.  What they found was that many people saw their use of diet soda as license to go out and eat those Ho-Hos.  Thus, the weight gain.  That's not a problem with the artificial sweetener; that's a problem with stupidity.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:52pm
Artificial sweetners taste like exactly what they are... artificial chemical substitutes for natural sugar.

People who think or claim to think that they can't tell the difference have merely convinced themselves of that so they won't feel so bad about depriving themselves of something so delicious in favor of something so disgusting.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 3:56pm

^  Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I had no idea.  I'll switch to sugar sodas today.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:02pm

Yep.  One study that came out awhile back linked the use of artificial sweeteners with actual weight gain!  But there was no cause-and-effect relationship.  What they found was that many people saw their use of diet soda as license to go out and eat those Ho-Hos.  Thus, the weight gain.  That's not a problem with the artificial sweetener; that's a problem with stupidity.

There is credible evidence that the consumtion of artificial sweetners simulates one's desire for more sweets.

So your contention that it's the eating of sugar-laden snack foods that causes obesity may well be true, but it may also be true that it was the consumtion of artificially sweetened beverages that caused the excessive consumtion of the fattening, sugar-laden snack foods to begin with.

If you're tryig to lose or maintain your weight, the best thing to do is stay away from all sweetened foods & beverages altogether.

Eat fruit to satisfy your sweet tooth.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:04pm

^  Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I had no idea.  I'll switch to sugar sodas today.  LOL

You'll thank me.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:13pm

There is credible evidence that the consumtion of artificial sweetners simulates one's desire for more sweets.

So your contention that it's the eating of sugar-laden snack foods that causes obesity may well be true, but it may also be true that it was the consumtion of artificially sweetened beverages that caused the excessive consumtion of the fattening, sugar-laden snack foods to begin with.

If you're tryig to lose or maintain your weight, the best thing to do is stay away from all sweetened foods & beverages altogether.

Eat fruit to satisfy your sweet tooth.

If that's the case, then it's a matter of willpower, or maybe simply not having those other sweets around.  I drink a few cans of diet soda per day, and I don't eat a lot of cake, candy, cookies, etc.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 4:33pm

If that's the case, then it's a matter of willpower, or maybe simply not having those other sweets around.  I drink a few cans of diet soda per day, and I don't eat a lot of cake, candy, cookies, etc.

But it's the artificial sweetener that destroys one's willpower.

The manufacturers of the stuff put something in it specifically designed to do so.

They work in secret alliance with the sugar industry for their mutual benefit.

People drink diet beverages thinking it helps them lose weight, which enriches the artificial sweetener manufacturers & also causes them to unwittingly increase their intake of other sugar-laden foods, which in turn, enriches the sugar industry.

The secret ingredient doesn't work on everybody.

Mostly people who took a lot of drugs in their youth.

C'mon, man!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 5:28pm

People who think or claim to think that they can't tell the difference have merely convinced themselves of that so they won't feel so bad about depriving themselves of something so delicious in favor of something so disgusting.

Yeah, gotta call BS on that one and file it under "that's your opinion and you're entitled to it". 

I've tasted both and sure, I can tell the difference between a spoonful of sugar and a spoonful of Splenda, but when they're used to sweeten something with a dominant flavor, there really is no noticeable difference. Sodas, on the other hand, most of them I can tell in a blind taste test, but I can't think of one that uses Splenda, just aspartame.

Someone get me a spoonful of aspartame, for science!

Point is, just because you can tell the difference between a 60Hz TV and a 120Hz TV, doesn't mean I can too. I'm not in some kind of denial just because my perception of something differs from yours.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Yeah, gotta call BS on that one and file it under "that's your opinion and you're entitled to it". 

I've tasted both and sure, I can tell the difference between a spoonful of sugar and a spoonful of Splenda, but when they're used to sweeten something with a dominant flavor, there really is no noticeable difference. Sodas, on the other hand, most of them I can tell in a blind taste test, but I can't think of one that uses Splenda, just aspartame.

Someone get me a spoonful of aspartame, for science!

Point is, just because you can tell the difference between a 60Hz TV and a 120Hz TV, doesn't mean I can too. I'm not in some kind of denial just because my perception of something differs from yours.

Your confusion obviously stems from the fact that you have not yet learned that my opinion is all that matters, principally because it is always correct.

But since you're still rather new here, I'll give you a pass.

Also, diet sodas DO in fact, use Splenda, or at least they did for awhile & guess what...

They still tasted like diet sodas sweetened with artificial sweetener.

Sugar is inimitable.

HAIL SUGAR!!!!!

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic