Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Subway "Badonkadonk Butt" commercials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subway "Badonkadonk Butt" commercials
    Posted: 15 May 2013 at 4:39am

It seems the ancient, musty Subway ad execs have finally stumbled on to this "hip" slang! How fresh! The kids'll love it and talk about it on those fancy-schmancy Tweeter things or whatever they're called yesiree bob!!! *cough* Excuse me while I adjust my monocle.

Sponsored Links

Puppydogpants View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puppydogpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 4:48am
Lol. I don't think I've heard that phrase (badonkadonk) since like 2005. And it was lame even back then.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Puppydogpants Puppydogpants wrote:

Lol. I don't think I've heard that phrase (badonkadonk) since like 2005.

At my age, that's pretty current.  Stupid, but current.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:11am
Who gave us that annoying term anyway?

I know I could Google it, but I'd rather just ask here.

I want to know who to hate.

I'm guessing some female country singer like Wynona Judd or somebody.

It just has that goofy country hick sound to it.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Who gave us that annoying term anyway?

I know I could Google it, but I'd rather just ask here.

I want to know who to hate.

I'm guessing some female country singer like Wynona Judd or somebody.

It just has that goofy country hick sound to it.

Earliest usage I've been able to find from a page and a half of Google searching is the 2001 "Fatty Girl" by Ludacris:

Check at the 2:33 mark. The guy himself who utters the very first instance of it is named Keith Murray.

As far as I can tell from the song's bass line, it's supposed to be an onomatopoeia for how a girl's butt shakes/drops. And yes, even though it didn't originate there, it seems the country genre found that it fit them well enough to adopt it.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:47am
What I hate the most about this commercial is what it teaches us about burger joints; how to order. Try walking into a Wendy's and asking for a badonkadonk meal. They look at you like you're stupid.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:08pm
Excuse me while I adjust my monocle.
Hahahaha. LOL
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:48pm
Every time I'm in a Subway, waiting in line, I see a fat person adding every conceivable topping and sauce to their sandwich. Double meat, extra cheese, bacon, extra mayo... Guess what fatty? Your sandwich is no longer a "healthy option".

"Would you like to add chips and a drink?"

"Sure!"

"Any cookies today?"

"Yeah chocolate chip"

Woo, you're eating fresh, and healthy now!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:56pm
I used to get their veggie & cheese subs back when they were actually cheap.

Sometimes take 'em home & put packaged cold cuts from the grocery store on them.

Nice cheap way to have a sub.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

Every time I'm in a Subway, waiting in line, I see a fat person adding every conceivable topping and sauce to their sandwich. Double meat, extra cheese, bacon, extra mayo... Guess what fatty? Your sandwich is no longer a "healthy option".

"Would you like to add chips and a drink?"

"Sure!"

"Any cookies today?"

"Yeah chocolate chip"

Woo, you're eating fresh, and healthy now!

LOL

That's like going to the gym and just sitting on the exercise bike without pedaling, while watching the TV.  "Yeah so I went to the gym today for a whole hour.  It's surprisingly easier than I thought!"
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:23pm
Badonkadonk is a black term, usually used by black guys to describe a WOMAN'S ass and it's usually meant as a term of endearment, not something negative. The fact that a white guy is using it to describe his own lard ass just pains me. Whoever wrote this ad, probably some fat old white woman, is completely out of touch with slang.

Not to mention the entire premise of the ad is incredibly insulting. Oh so if I eat anywhere but Subway I'm automatically a fat piece of sh*t with a huge ass and double chin. Yay, thanks so much for insulting me, that totally makes me crave some Subway. Subway is like an abusive boyfriend. I'm going to put you down so you're so insecure you'll never leave me!

Anyone else notice there have been Subway cookie specific ads airing too? Way to play the field ass holes. YOU'RE A FAT PIECE OF sh*t but hey we have "America's favorite cookie", did we mention they come in a PLATTER? Yet if I order them I'm not a fat POS? Make up your f**king mind, you don't get to advertise how healthy you are WHILE advertising your calorie rich cookies.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:32pm
"Yeah, can I get an Italian BMT?"

"Sure, what kind of bread do you want that on?"

"Chocolate chip cookies."

"Um, sir, chocolate chip cookies aren't bread."

"Just put the salami on the cookies, sammich boy, I'm eatin fresh!"

"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Badonkadonk is a black term, usually used by black guys to describe a WOMAN'S ass and it's usually meant as a term of endearment, not something negative. The fact that a white guy is using it to describe his own lard ass just pains me. Whoever wrote this ad, probably some fat old white woman, is completely out of touch with slang.

Not to mention the entire premise of the ad is incredibly insulting. Oh so if I eat anywhere but Subway I'm automatically a fat piece of sh*t with a huge ass and double chin. Yay, thanks so much for insulting me, that totally makes me crave some Subway. Subway is like an abusive boyfriend. I'm going to put you down so you're so insecure you'll never leave me!

Anyone else notice there have been Subway cookie specific ads airing too? Way to play the field ass holes. YOU'RE A FAT PIECE OF sh*t but hey we have "America's favorite cookie", did we mention they come in a PLATTER? Yet if I order them I'm not a fat POS? Make up your f**king mind, you don't get to advertise how healthy you are WHILE advertising your calorie rich cookies.

This just shows how tone deaf Madison Ave, is. I also agree that it's insulting to paint everyone who eats fast food as getting fat, it depends on your metabolism for crying out loud!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 5:05pm
And your common sense. I have friends who are bodybuilders who have CUT successfully eating McDonald's regularly. I myself lost about 15 lbs. in one go, with bi-weekly visits to subway and McDonalds...by the by, I got large meals at McDonalds that were less calories than a "healthy" Subway Sandwich. funnily enough, the Subway sandwich had worse macro ratios than what I bought at McDonalds.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

And your common sense. I have friends who are bodybuilders who have CUT successfully eating McDonald's regularly. I myself lost about 15 lbs. in one go, with bi-weekly visits to subway and McDonalds...by the by, I got large meals at McDonalds that were less calories than a "healthy" Subway Sandwich. funnily enough, the Subway sandwich had worse macro ratios than what I bought at McDonalds.
You touched on what I was thinking. How can they get away with promoting their subs as almost being "health food" when they're just as bad as any other fast food? I guess they decided that if they were going to use taste as a weapon they'd lose, so they created this whole healthy illusion.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:05pm
Nutella got away with calling their spread...what was it, "Nutritious" or "Wholesome" when the first ingredient listed is sugar.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:44pm
Who wrote these ads? They're using the term badonkadonk butt wrong! It means having an ass to write home about. No guy will EVER have a badonkadonk butt. 
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Who wrote these ads? They're using the term badonkadonk butt wrong! It means having an ass to write home about. No guy will EVER have a badonkadonk butt. 

Ah...I know both women AND men who wish to dispute that assertion.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:00pm
Confused*I* have actually met a black person and never heard the term 'badonkadonk butt'.
I'm pretty sure the phrase really originated in Austrailia - prolly has somethin' to do with what you can get in the 'Out Back', but I could be wrong...still SOUNDS 'Austrailian', doncha know.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:06pm
I thought it referred to the sound of a guys hips slamming against the girls padding while going at it...
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:09pm
I think that would be 'BadonkaBoink'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:12pm
Only when he falls out.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

"Yeah, can I get an Italian BMT?"

"Sure, what kind of bread do you want that on?"

"Chocolate chip cookies."

"Um, sir, chocolate chip cookies aren't bread."

"Just put the salami on the cookies, sammich boy, I'm eatin fresh!"

ROFL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:00pm
IMHO    I could go for a 12" meatball sub with red onions and jack cheese. With some chips please.
Ooops  Mama left work 30 minutes ago.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

You touched on what I was thinking. How can they get away with promoting their subs as almost being "health food" when they're just as bad as any other fast food? I guess they decided that if they were going to use taste as a weapon they'd lose, so they created this whole healthy illusion.

Because when they say "under 6 grams of fat", they're talking about a dry turkey sub with no cheese or sauce, and only veggie toppings. The ruse works because fat-asses order a turkey footlong, add cheese, and every other thing they can, and pretend they're eating healthy.

If you add up the calories, a Big Mac is better for you. A footlong sub with double turkey and all the toppings is a lot of food. Add chips, coke, and a cookie, you're looking at like 1300 calories.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic