Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Consumer Cellular Old People

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Consumer Cellular Old People
    Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:12pm
My God. I see this commercial 10 times a day and the more I see that know-it-all wife, the more I feel for the husband. He can hardly get a word in.
Are old folk so bored that a cell phone is the conversation of the week?
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:30pm
Tiz, you have heard of don't mess with Texas?
Don't mess with old people cause we are twice as mean as Texas and nationwide.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 10:52pm
I rest my case.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:57pm
Kinda makes me miss the Jitterbug ads, they were corny but at least wasn't this annoying.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 1:43am

Unhappy...if MissyDWolf has ONE 'weak point', it is the cell phone. She knows them all, know all the tricks, the newer the better - and she CAN get 'on top about rates and plans', too. She even knows *my* phone better than me. If she wanted, she could sell the stinkin' things and be very good at it - especially if *any* of our pups were involved (they're all just as bad).

Drives me NUTS.

Having said that, I understand the poor guys in these commercials.
At least they no longer have 'Mr. Twin', anymore...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 1:59am

Old people in commercials really have a lot of fun.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 2:06am

Hey! The 'extra income' doesn't hurt and pays for the bad habits.

And don't call me 'OLD'.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 2:22pm
This one isn't as bad as the one on the plane where the old guy keeps mugging for the camera about the kid behind him who is "glued to his phone" and how they keep portraying said kid as brain dead and stupid.

I don't like how angry the woman seems with the "I'd probably never hear from my grandkids if I hadn't started texting". What's wrong with texting? It's instant and it's concise. I don't know anyone in my generation who prefers talking on the phone, but when did that become such a negative thing? When my mom needs a quick answer she texts me. We probably keep in touch MORE because she doesn't have to hold it all in for a phone conversation, if she wants to chat a little, she texts.

Seriously, it's a god damn prepaid cell phone plan, stop acting like it's an us vs them issue. No one in my generation is judging anyone in the previous generation for their cell phone habits, we honestly don't give a sh*t! Use it for a phone only, text, use data, whatever works best for you.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:29pm
I TOTALLY agree Heza! I went on a rant about that same iteration of the commercial on another thread! I HATE the stupid old man that keeps rolling his eyes at the kid next to him. Oh yeah, he's being quiet, keeping to himself and not bothering you - jeeze, what a damn punk! I also hate the way the guy next to him opens up his packet of peanuts. Just a minor annoyance but there are so many of them that they just quickly add up to my sincere hatred of this product and their commercials.
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

This one isn't as bad as the one on the plane where the old guy keeps mugging for the camera about the kid behind him who is "glued to his phone" and how they keep portraying said kid as brain dead and stupid.

I don't like how angry the woman seems with the "I'd probably never hear from my grandkids if I hadn't started texting". What's wrong with texting? It's instant and it's concise. I don't know anyone in my generation who prefers talking on the phone, but when did that become such a negative thing? When my mom needs a quick answer she texts me. We probably keep in touch MORE because she doesn't have to hold it all in for a phone conversation, if she wants to chat a little, she texts.

Seriously, it's a god damn prepaid cell phone plan, stop acting like it's an us vs them issue. No one in my generation is judging anyone in the previous generation for their cell phone habits, we honestly don't give a sh*t! Use it for a phone only, text, use data, whatever works best for you.

I, myself, find it very, very disheartening that people would rather text than actually have a human conversation.  I've been at parties and dinners and other get-togethers where people think it's OK to pull out their phones and start texting.  I say, if they don't want to be with the group that they're actually with, they're free to leave.  I honestly don't care if people text---as long as they do it privately.  Texting when you're amongst others is telling them that you'd rather be elsewhere.  It's very rude.

My brother and sis-in-law had a Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago that included her niece and the niece's new boyfriend (both in their early 20s).  The boyfriend (who had just met the family) spent half the dinner on his cell phone, texting.  My sis-in-law told her niece (in front of the boyfriend) that "if he picks that goddammed phone up one more time, you're both going to have to leave".  The niece and her bf acted shocked, as if my bro and sis-in-law were the rude ones.

Hell, when I have people over, I don't even answer the phone unless it's relevant to what's going on.

I know it's considered OK by young people to text anywhere and everywhere, but it's also OK with young people to drive 85 when everyone else is going 70, and to walk around with their pants around their butts, and to sext...so it's not as if young people are known for good judgement.  Sometimes, they have to be taught.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 7:20pm
I agree, Heza and KB! It's a silly premise for a commercial. There's no need to be adversarial.

I don't see how texting isn't a "human conversation," though. There is a person on the other end, just like with a phone or face-to-face interaction.  It's an easy way to keep in touch and have an ongoing interaction while going about your day, or ask a quick question without interrupting the other person and going through all the pleasantries a phone conversation requires. It's also really handy to have a written record of discussions, especially if you need to double-check an address, timestamp, etc. And I would assume that when home phones first became prevalent, some older people were clucking their tongues about how no one visits anyone any more. They just talk on that infernal box!

It's the same thing with people who say "why don't you get off Facebook and make some real friendships with actual people?!" That doesn't make any sense. Most FB friends are not bots and aliens. Everyone I was friends with on FB was an actual person I had met, all ~500 of them. I went to 2 HS, 3 colleges/grad schools, 1 study abroad program, and 3 churches in 3 states growing up, so it was a great way to keep up with all of those people who were scattered around the world. Quite frankly, I was never going to maintain a phone or letter relationship with most of them, and FB was way better than nothing. I ended up deleting my account last year for other reasons, though.

That said, I do agree that it's incredibly rude to play on your phone when you're supposed to be socializing with the people who are physically present. There's no excuse for rudeness, regardless of the method of distraction.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:05pm
'Texting' is o.k. every now and then, but basically is for twits (my opinion). And that thing you text on and play with? Quit calling it a 'phone' - that is just one of its lesser-used funtions, for the most part. At least most Blackberry users quit calling it a phone long ago and generally refer to it as a Blackberry.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

'Texting' is o.k. every now and then, but basically is for twits (my opinion). And that thing you text on and play with? Quit calling it a 'phone' - that is just one of its lesser-used funtions, for the most part. At least most Blackberry users quit calling it a phone long ago and generally refer to it as a Blackberry.

This is logically true, but I would feel like a dork referring to my "communications device" or "handheld mini-computer." "Phone" is just the lingo now.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

This is logically true, but I would feel like a dork referring to my "communications device" or "handheld mini-computer." "Phone" is just the lingo now.
WinkBig smileYou TOO can be the first to coin a new acronym, or 'buzz name', for our 'newfound little friend'. TRY IT! You may become FAMOUS!
Just don't call it a 'phone'.
Not in front of me.
Today.
Please.
Thank You.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 10:13pm

WinkBig smileYou TOO can be the first to coin a new acronym, or 'buzz name', for our 'newfound little friend'. TRY IT! You may become FAMOUS!
Just don't call it a 'phone'.
Not in front of me.
Today.
Please.
Thank You.

In Germany they call it a "handi," but I'd be afraid of being profoundly misunderstood with that one... 
maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:06am
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

They used to call them PDA's (Personal Digital Assitants) before they added phones to them.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Thor 
<div> </div>
<div>I, myself, find it very, very disheartening that people would rather text than actually have a human conversation.  I've been at parties and dinners and other get-togethers where people think it's OK to pull out their phones and start texting.  I say, if they don't want to be with the group that they're actually with, they're free to leave.  I honestly don't care if people text---as long as they do it privately.  Texting when you're amongst others is telling them that you'd rather be elsewhere.  It's very rude.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>My brother and sis-in-law had a Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago that included her niece and the niece's new boyfriend (both in their early 20s).  The boyfriend (who had just met the family) spent half the dinner on his cell phone, texting.  My sis-in-law told her niece (in front of the boyfriend) that if he picks that goddammed phone up one more time, you're both going to have to leave.  The niece and her bf acted shocked, as if my bro and sis-in-law were the rude ones.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Hell, when I have people over, I don't even answer the phone unless it's relevant to what's going on.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I know it's considered OK by young people to text anywhere and everywhere, but it's also OK with young people to drive 85 when everyone else is going 70, and to walk around with their pants around their butts, and to sext...so it's not as if young people are known for good judgement.  Sometimes, they have to be taught.</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>[/QUOTE Thor

I, myself, find it very, very disheartening that people would rather text than actually have a human conversation.  I've been at parties and dinners and other get-togethers where people think it's OK to pull out their phones and start texting.  I say, if they don't want to be with the group that they're actually with, they're free to leave.  I honestly don't care if people text---as long as they do it privately.  Texting when you're amongst others is telling them that you'd rather be elsewhere.  It's very rude.

My brother and sis-in-law had a Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago that included her niece and the niece's new boyfriend (both in their early 20s).  The boyfriend (who had just met the family) spent half the dinner on his cell phone, texting.  My sis-in-law told her niece (in front of the boyfriend) that if he picks that goddammed phone up one more time, you're both going to have to leave.  The niece and her bf acted shocked, as if my bro and sis-in-law were the rude ones.

Hell, when I have people over, I don't even answer the phone unless it's relevant to what's going on.

I know it's considered OK by young people to text anywhere and everywhere, but it's also OK with young people to drive 85 when everyone else is going 70, and to walk around with their pants around their butts, and to sext...so it's not as if young people are known for good judgement.  Sometimes, they have to be taught.

[/QUOTE wrote:

When I was a young teen Thanksgiving consisted of females in the kitchen and males watching the football game. I always thought this was rude as I did not care about the f**king football game and would rather talk to realitives I had not seen for months. In recent years the football game is on TV but no one  is whatching it. they are all on their f**king phones! How sad. 
When I was a young teen Thanksgiving consisted of females in the kitchen and males watching the football game. I always thought this was rude as I did not care about the f**king football game and would rather talk to realitives I had not seen for months. In recent years the football game is on TV but no one  is whatching it. they are all on their f**king phones! How sad. 
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

My brother and sis-in-law had a Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago that included her niece and the niece's new boyfriend (both in their early 20s).  The boyfriend (who had just met the family) spent half the dinner on his cell phone, texting.  My sis-in-law told her niece (in front of the boyfriend) that "if he picks that goddammed phone up one more time, you're both going to have to leave".  The niece and her bf acted shocked, as if my bro and sis-in-law were the rude ones.

And you're right, it IS rude, but not all young folk behave that way. Just like not all of us are crazy drivers, no one "sexts" over the age of 16, and I don't think sagging pants exists outside the ghetto anymore. Although that god awful facebook home ad where the bitch is ignoring a museum and the boy is ignoring his boring grandma like to paint a different picture. As long as 2 people are keeping in touch, who cares how they choose to do it? It's a matter of when that the issue of respect pops up. At my grandma's house for Christmas the part of the family not cooking is sitting on their ass watching basketball while I read on my phone. The phone doesn't come in the dinning room with me. I don't see anything wrong with being on my phone if everyone else is just watching TV silently.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:07pm
^Once upon a 'blue moon' there existed these little, tiny silent rooms called 'phone booths'.
If you wanted to speak on a phone while in a room full of people, you would enter it, drop a nickle, and chat away.
'Phone Booths' are few and far between these days - and so is the privacy for you, along with the courtesy for others, they provided from the chatter while the rest of us are watching t.v. silently.
They really do not need to dissapear from the face of the earth.
Think I'm going to put up a 'phone booth' sign in front of the utility closet, and maybe set a nice little chair in there - anyone who wants to sit around here chatting on the phone is going to have to go in, and ultimately, come out of the closet (even if they don't want to). When you poke your head back into civilization, we'll be sure and have a party for you before we kick your butt out the front door for 'coming out of the closet' in front of us, not to speak of sitting around our place so you could spend 'quality phone time' with others.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Yeah.  To me, Thanksgiving and Christmas (and any party, for that matter) are supposed to be communal sorts of events, not everyone to himself.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:00am

^Once upon a 'blue moon' there existed these little, tiny silent rooms called 'phone booths'.
If you wanted to speak on a phone while in a room full of people, you would enter it, drop a nickle, and chat away.

'Phone Booths' are few and far between these days - and so is the privacy for you, along with the courtesy for others, they provided from the chatter while the rest of us are watching t.v. silently.

They really do not need to dissapear from the face of the earth.

Think I'm going to put up a 'phone booth' sign in front of the utility closet, and maybe set a nice little chair in there - anyone who wants to sit around here chatting on the phone is going to have to go in, and ultimately, come out of the closet (even if they don't want to). When you poke your head back into civilization, we'll be sure and have a party for you before we kick your butt out the front door for 'coming out of the closet' in front of us, not to speak of sitting around our place so you could spend 'quality phone time' with others.

Lol, Pa. When I got back to the US in 2008I was immediately put in charge of a load of 20 something just out of AIT soldiers. Almost instantly I had to make them turn their phones off at work and leave them in a locked drawer. Because they would literally sit at their desks texting all day if I didn't. It was funny in a sad way. Before the "put your phone in the drawer" thing I had told them to stop texting in the office, and I guess they thought if they held the phone under the desks and typed I wouldn't notice. . I mean, crap, the FIRST SERGEANT came in the office once and bawled some of them out for it, (which means I caught some of that ass chewing, and **** rolls downhill, so after top was finished oh, man, I PT'd the hell outta them). At one point I had to ask one of them who the heck could you need to keep in constant contact with all day like that? I 'm twice your age, and believe me, I have a lot of friends and people I love to be in touch with, and I'm married....and I don't need to be in minute to minute contact with them.

It changed when the building we worked in was officially classified as top secret. Meaning no cell phones allowed in the place. I had moved jobs to another office in a different company (same battalion) with less soldiers to keep track of. But I found that soldiers not in my section would come into my office to text because it was an enclosed space and they figured they could get away with it unseen. Hilariously I was going to be out of the office the next day and the commander had told me that they were doing a cell phone check that day. I told him "Go into my office around ten without letting anyone know what you're doing, sir." He caught five people (none of my immediate subordinates) right there. We gave 'em extra duty for a month.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:29am

^  Ha!  It's fun to have fun with other people's communication habits.  There was this guy talking loudly on his cellphone on the bus where I used to live (texting hadn't happened yet).  It was annoying, so I decided to join in.  When he asked whoever he was talking to a question, I'd answer.  Loudly, directly and at length.  He got pissed, but I was enjoying it.  So were the others on the bus.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:30am

Most people wouldn't think of coming into someone else's house and spending half of their visit yakking on the host's telephone, so why do they think it's OK to sit there and text?  Is it because it's less obvious than talking on a phone?  Hell, at least with a phone call, I get to hear what they're talking about.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:42am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Most people wouldn't think of coming into someone else's house and spending half of their visit yakking on the host's telephone, so why do they think it's OK to sit there and text?  Is it because it's less obvious than talking on a phone?  Hell, at least with a phone call, I get to hear what they're talking about.

Its still rude. But as far as texting in that situation, if I invite you over for Thanksgiving/Christmas/Family/Holiday/Whatever dinner and you spend the majority of the time texting...well, that's the last invite you'll probably get from me. I understand the "I have to answer this" texts that we all get sometimes, but to sit there and text otherwise...? Nah, that's rude. I don't understand how anyone can think its not rude.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
verminstew View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verminstew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 1:22am
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71Fm/consumer-cellular-out-and-about-with-connie-and-jack

Connie and Jack are back by popular demand, according to the Consumer Cellular website anywayErmm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic