Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

That's That Sh*t I Don't Like!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 3:58pm

^  I have a convertible.  I check the AC every year to see if it's working, and that's about it.  I don't like air-conditioning---not in my car and not in my house.  Like Madawee, being closed up makes me claustrophobic.  I've never understood some peoples' wish to be in a constant state of climate control.  Yeah, it feels good on a hot day to go into air-conditioning...but after I cool off, I wanna go back outside.

Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:15pm
I like A/C (even more so at work because of all the electronic sh*t heating up the place even more than the natural warm up), but it's not life support for me like it is for most people down here.  Most everyone I know can't fathom how I can manage a monthly light bill around $100 bucks in the summer.

I typically run my A/C at home (when needed) from 5:15 until about 8:00, with the temp set at 78.  Weekends it runs a little longer since I'm home, say from about 1:00 or 2:00 until 8:00.  I leave it off overnight and while I'm gone. 

With a car though, it's heated up by the sun to about 150 degrees, and down here we have the humidity to boot.  No A/C is a death warrant, even with a convertible.  I don't have one, but you don't see a whole lot of topless cars on the road in the summer months. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:36pm

^  Yeah, the humidity makes a huge difference.  I'm lucky to have very low humidity (like in the teens) in the summer months here.  100 degrees never "feels like" more than 100 degrees.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:42pm
Definitely ... in low humidity all you're getting really is heat from the sunlight, not from the thick muggy heat saturated air surrounding you as well.  I'll take 105 degrees outside on the Vegas strip over 90 degrees in the Houston shade every day of the week.   

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 4:47pm

^  That's why our temps can be 60 in the morning, and then rise to 100 by 2pm.  We rarely have any clouds in the summer...and with no cloud coverage, there's nothing to keep heat and moisture trapped near the earth's surface. 

Last summer, I was a little more liberal with the air-conditioning, simply to make sure ol' Sneakers wouldn't be too uncomfortable.  At times, I've put the A/C on just so that my computer doesn't overheat.  It's upstairs where it's usually 10 degrees warmer than the downstairs.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

I like A/C (even more so at work because of all the electronic sh*t heating up the place even more than the natural warm up), but it's not life support for me like it is for most people down here.  Most everyone I know can't fathom how I can manage a monthly light bill around $100 bucks in the summer.

I typically run my A/C at home (when needed) from 5:15 until about 8:00, with the temp set at 78.  Weekends it runs a little longer since I'm home, say from about 1:00 or 2:00 until 8:00.  I leave it off overnight and while I'm gone. 

With a car though, it's heated up by the sun to about 150 degrees, and down here we have the humidity to boot.  No A/C is a death warrant, even with a convertible.  I don't have one, but you don't see a whole lot of topless cars on the road in the summer months. 

Same here. The humidity makes it hard to breathe! I do like to be cool at night or else I can't sleep, but once my husband leaves for work, the thermostat goes from 68 to 78 so I can feel my toes!

What really sucks about summer in Texas is that most establishments feel the need to overcompensate and keep their stores and restaurants about 35 degrees cooler than outside. It makes dressing for the weather impossible. If I wear shorts or a skirt, I'm fine outside, but literally shivering if I try to go somewhere for dinner. Plus, my food gets cold almost immediately. What would be wrong with keeping those places 75-78 in the summer instead of 65? It would be cheaper, more "green," AND 50% of your clientele wouldn't have to keep a damn sweater with them all the time!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

...The humidity makes it hard to breathe! I do like to be cool at night or else I can't sleep, but once my husband leaves for work, the thermostat goes from 68 to 78 so I can feel my toes!

What really sucks about summer in Texas is that most establishments feel the need to overcompensate and keep their stores and restaurants about 35 degrees cooler than outside. It makes dressing for the weather impossible. If I wear shorts or a skirt, I'm fine outside, but literally shivering if I try to go somewhere for dinner. Plus, my food gets cold almost immediately. What would be wrong with keeping those places 75-78 in the summer instead of 65? It would be cheaper, more "green," AND 50% of your clientele wouldn't have to keep a damn sweater with them all the time!
ConfusedOnly problem is, on many of those terribly humid Texas days, if an establishment is a dry 75-78 degrees, then you can smell everyone around you. That just isn't always a good thing.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:57am
Did you really just respond to a nearly four year old post????

Somehow I don't think you should be expecting a reply to your somewhat belated reply.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:22pm
Yea I did.
Why?
Because I could...and I knew it would generate a pulse.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:06pm
^ Yeah! PaW! You are almost as weird as I am!

Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

Same here. The humidity makes it hard to breathe! I do like to be cool at night or else I can't sleep, but once my husband leaves for work, the thermostat goes from 68 to 78 so I can feel my toes!

I miss Insanity 213!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:22pm
^^^He's probably dead - no posts since 2015.Wink
Well, you can wish him a HB on 2/13. No email address.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Yea I did.
Why?
Because I could...and I knew it would generate a pulse.

You sir, are a THREAD NECROMANCER!!!!

Corpse humper!!!!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:03am
^^^ShockedEmbarrassedClapClapClapYAY!!!! *IIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii* like it! Thanky ol'Mule! THAT is a WONDERFUL avatar - can I steal it? No matter, I'm going to....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 12:57am
I thought you'd like it....

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:53am

That thought's crossed my mind.  He left pretty suddenly.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

That thought's crossed my mind.  He left pretty suddenly.

Right - no feelings whatsoever. That's why *I* think I123 was prolly posting an opinion, suffered a fatal seizure and on his way out accidentally pressed 'clear form' rather than 'post', which really sucks.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:34pm
Didn't insanity live in Texas where those awful floods were a few years back? I hope nothing bad happened to him. He was a funny fellow.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:36pm
From what I garnished, he lived in the Houston area, which would be right in the thick of it.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:15pm

From what I garnished, he lived in the Houston area, which would be right in the thick of it.

Did you "garnish" that....

...or did you "garner" it?

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:11pm
DisapproveI'm very very very tired. Leave me alone and quit teasing me!
Image result for girl pigtails crying
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 5:26pm
Well something odd happened on Cozi TV today. It was scheduled at 12:00 for Rockford Files to air today. It got as far as the phone ringing and the text "James Garner in" appearing then it switched over to some soap opera that airs on NBC! wTF!? Why do this!? I was so ready to see Rockford Files and they spring this soap opera on viewers for no good reason! This was unscheduled! I might as well buy the DVDs and forget this $#@&!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 1:07am
MeTV will probably bring him back before too long.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:22pm

People at the grocery store who stop their cart sideways in the aisle when they're price comparing on the shelves so that it's blocking the entire aisle.  And of course, it they see you coming and have to stop what they're doing to adjust their cart so you can get by, they give you the look as if you're the jerk for inconveniencing them.

Yeah, this annoys me too. One time someone doing this actually had the nerve to ask "you couldn't have just waited for me to move?" after I said "excuse me" and started walking past him when he moved out of the way. Now, I'm not normally a confrontational person, but THAT reaction prompted me to turn around reply "Sorry, I didn't know how long you planned to stand around being a dick".
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:59pm
I've never had anyone do that to me with their cart sideways, but there has been a time or two where someone had their cart in the middle of the aisle enough so that I couldn't get by and wouldn't move after I said "excuse me" two or three times. At that point I just move their cart out the way myself and screw them if they don't like it.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

People at the grocery store who stop their cart sideways in the aisle when they're price comparing on the shelves so that it's blocking the entire aisle.  And of course, it they see you coming and have to stop what they're doing to adjust their cart so you can get by, they give you the look as if you're the jerk for inconveniencing them.

Yeah, this annoys me too. One time someone doing this actually had the nerve to ask "you couldn't have just waited for me to move?" after I said "excuse me" and started walking past him when he moved out of the way. Now, I'm not normally a confrontational person, but THAT reaction prompted me to turn around reply "Sorry, I didn't know how long you planned to stand around being a dick".
Big smileEvil SmileIt happens to me, too...and THAT is when I can be the very best asshole I can be. I will come up on it and VERY, VERY LOUDLY, "Excuse me! Other people shopping too! May I pass by?". I don't win friends but I do influence people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic