Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just a quick rant  about stuff that makes me angry
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just a quick rant about stuff that makes me angry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a quick rant about stuff that makes me angry
    Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:10am
I've  been sick for the last few days....theres a stomach virus going around here and I must have caught it...so I spent the  last few days with really bad stabby pains in my gut, nausea, and well number two's you don'twanna know about. It sucked. But I had to go out yesterday to get some things (like toilet paper for one) despite feeling like crap. A quick trip to the store might make me feel better, right? Some fresh air? It was beautiful outside.

It only takes a minute of being stuck at a light next to someone with an atomic powered "BOOM BOOM BOOM " stereo on a good day to make me dream of setting them on fire on a good day. I hate that so much I've told people I  (used to....retiring from the Army) work with that they were assholes to their face for doing it. (I went all R. Lee Ermey on a dude on post for it once).

Seriously, I get it, you're young, you want to crank up the sound...but if its so loud its shaking the windows of every car near it and can be heard from a distance doncha think thats enough? Do these future miracle ear customers realize they live in a world with other people in it? Crap, if ithere is any kind of noise law about it here the entire state budget could be covered just by placing two cops by  the Reilly Road gate of Ft. Bragg.

After getting away from that I go to the local little strip mall because I can get everything I  need from the Dollar Store and go home and back to being miserably ill. Not one, but TWO guys ask me if I want to buy bootleg DVDs. That was not the first time I've had that happen here...and theres a goddamned police station across the street! Did it all of a sudden become legal to sell bootleg movies? Because hell, if it did I can make a mint.  At least I avoided the usual gimme some money BS that happens there sometimes.

Maybe I'm overly cranky right now...I still don't feel very well, and being sick never improves my attitude.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:43am

Playing music that loud is their way of claiming the road as their territory.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 1:17am
I hate these a-holes who live around the corner that leave their yappy little dogs who yap hysterically at everything that moves, out in the yard in the evenings & everytime some other yutz who's out walking their dogs (translation: letting them sh*t in someone else's yard) come by, these two or three yapping flea bags go insane & make the enire block sound like a friggin kennel.

And the owners are apparently sitting on their ears or have their heads shoved up their asses because they don't do SQUAT!!!!

I sit here in my living room bellowing at the top of my lungs thru the screen door....

SH-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-UT
U-U-U-U-U-U-U-U-UP!!!!!!!!

And believe me, I can really bellow. Seriously, I can get the ol' volume up myself.

It's really rather comical when you think about it. 

Cranky, irascible old fart sitting in his living room, bellowing at the neighbors... LOL

Fuckin jerks.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 2:12am

I've been lucky all week since I really haven't even ventured out too much...but when I HAVE, well, it has become incredibly easy to distinquish between Ontario and New York drivers.

I absolutely do *NOT* suggest others follow the below example - too easy to end up dead or in jail, for You

New York drivers yeild the right of way to cars entering the highway - they move to the left lane, when clearly open - a very easy, standard thing to do. We all learned it in 'driving school'. The others just piss me off, so, well...I really dislike people that do not have 'road manners' and make me slam the brakes while they snicker. The Blackillac IS all fixed up and MissyDWolf is still 4 or 5 days from home...I've started flooring it and playing 'Let's all meet Jesus', doncha know. 
Really amazing how quick people get the message - and, well...since when have they had 'brown-tinted' windows?

It is NOT that hard to drive with manners and courtesy for others.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 3:28am
I'm with you, d4 and Jimbo. I absolutely despise noise pollution, and the jerks who force their preferences and choices on people who are trapped around them. Being stuck at a red light near one of those morons causes me actual physical distress.

Currently we live in a neighborhood where no fewer than 5 different homes have dogs that are left out to bark some or all of the day and night. One will finally stop woofing and then another starts howling. It's torture. Our county does nothing about it. The police magically never get here when it's happening. I (allegedly) work from home most of the time, but I spend a lot of the day frustrated and distracted. This is why I have a lot of time to spend on discussion boards. We're moving ASAP but I'm terrified to buy a house and then find out it's in another dog hell.

People might say I should just go work at Starbucks or the library, but it's my house. I have the right to peaceful enjoyment. Plus, those places are just as distracting, and gas is expensive. Ear plugs do nothing but muffle the ambient noise; I can still hear the barking. I can't believe people think it's okay to do this to their dogs and their neighbors. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 3:45am
^There must be something you can do to muffle the noise down to a tolerable level. Maybe close the windows & put heavy curtains over them. Or try putting some nice, pleasant music on the radio. Find a station that plays classical or easy listening music. Or pick up a couple of CD's/download mp3's to whichever "device" you may have, then turn it up just loud enough. With the doors & windows closed, the curtains drawn & the music playing, it seems as though you'd be able to drown out the barking.

Also, when you're actually in front of your computer working (which is how I assume you work at home) instead of ear "plugs", maybe get a set of those things they use at shooting ranges that look like headphones. I know it's an expense, but since you can't do anything about your neighbors, do the next best thing & try to creatively solve or at least mitigate the problem yourself. Even if you move to a new neighborhood & the problem crops up again, remember those suggestions & consider giving them a try. You might not succeed in totally drowning it but, but if you can muffle it enough, it seems like you could make it tolerable.

Anything beats suffering like that.

The barking-dog problem I spoke of is annoying, but at least the people bring their dogs inside at night after it gets dark, so it becomes pretty quiet.

Best of luck, either way.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:03am
Thanks, Jimbo! We do close all the windows, and I have the light/noise blocking curtains in some rooms. Unfortunately the house is pretty old and poorly insulated, and houses are close together (old part of town), so it's not as effective. Sometimes music or TV as noise helps, but sometimes it's too distracting. I also use fans for white noise unless it's really cold. 

The gun-range-caliber headphones may be my best bet at this point. I haven't tried them yet, but if they work they'll definitely be worth the cost. Thanks for your suggestions and sympathy!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:09am
I was looking at some reviews & the prices ranged from $20 to $50.

Looks like the more expensive ones allow certain noises, while the cheaper ones block all sound across frequency ranges, which would probably be what you'd want.

C'mon, man!
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:13am
I was prepared for $100+ so that's not bad at all!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 4:19am
And I'm sure you can shop around locally where you live & try them out as well as get more info.

Probably find them at a good sporting goods or shooting sports/gun specialty store.

C'mon, man!
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 5:35am
Not trying to stereotype, but most people who blare their music are playing rap music, and most people into rap music tend to hate music like black/death metal and/or country. You might consider burning a CD of either of those 2 genres and keep it on you at all times and blare it whenever you have to pull up alongside one of those assholes.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 6:24am
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Not trying to stereotype, but most people who blare their music are playing rap music, and most people into rap music tend to hate music like black/death metal and/or country. You might consider burning a CD of either of those 2 genres and keep it on you at all times and blare it whenever you have to pull up alongside one of those assholes.

I've done that a few times.  The songs I've used included Music to Watch Girls By (Andy Williams) and Freebird.  Doesn't get much whiter than that.  Also, I have a convertible, so while I don't really know how loud it is for the people in the rap car, I assume it's pretty loud.  Plus, boosting the treble will pierce through all the bass of the rap music and force them to hear something good for a f*cking change.

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 7:20am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

It only takes a minute of being stuck at a light next to someone with an atomic powered "BOOM BOOM BOOM " stereo on a good day to make me dream of setting them on fire on a good day. I hate that so much I've told people I  (used to....retiring from the Army) work with that they were assholes to their face for doing it. (I went all R. Lee Ermey on a dude on post for it once).

Seriously, I get it, you're young, you want to crank up the sound...but if its so loud its shaking the windows of every car near it and can be heard from a distance doncha think thats enough? Do these future miracle ear customers realize they live in a world with other people in it? Crap, if ithere is any kind of noise law about it here the entire state budget could be covered just by placing two cops by  the Reilly Road gate of Ft. Bragg.

I hear ya on that one. Used to be when you put a system in a car you wanted it to umm you know not sound like sh*t. Back in the day if if your car was rumbling like it was ready to fall apart you wouldn't be caught dead cruising in that heap. You'd save up your money and say "Hey hook me up with a system that don't sound like sh*t."
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 12:38pm
Maybe its just me....I'm no boy scout but I try not to be "that guy" that pisses off people for no good reason. When we bought the house I had the habit of sitting on the backyard patio on warm summer nights listening to music until midnight and drinkin' a few beers under the stars....BUT I told my neighbors when I moved in that if I ever make too much noise at night don't hesistate to tell me to be quiet....and they appreciated it enough to do the same. Heck, my neighbor had a pool party that went on late into the night and asked me if it was okay if they kept the music on after 8 pm.

Around here there are a lot of 20 something soldiers that live in the barracks....so they don't really have any bills or expenses. Granted they aren't getting paid a lot, but they have the disposable income to go get a "slammin' car system". I spoke to one I knew a few years about it when I overheard him bragging about how he spent somewhere around 600 dollars on a new system (I won't go into how it was in the gas guzzling SUV he didn't need at that time, being single...hey, its his money). I told him that if I had 600 extra bucks to go blow I'd find something more practical and less annoying to the human race to spend it on. He honestly looked at me like I was out of my mind. Seriously, if you gave me 600 bucks right now the very last thing I can think of using it for would be to get a ridiculously loud stereo for my flippin' car.

It makes me think that the guy that first thought up marketing these systems is a genius. He's assured a hefty profit by targeting the truly stupid into paying for something that not only makes them look like idiots, but annoys almost everyone in a wide radius of it. Its got to be youth thing, since I see all races and ethnicities doing it. The music always sounds the same too....just "BOOM BOOM BOOM". I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not old enough to be "old" yet. I just think younger people are dumber nowadays. (sorry kids, its what I see, not what I want)

Going to work one day a freakin' senior NCO I know pulled up in his hoopty booming booming booming the overpriced and overpowered custom stereo system. I just looked at him and said "Way to set the example for the troops, sarge." He just looked at me like he couldn't believe I said that. I returned it  with the look of "You know I'm f**kin' right.". I'm glad I'm retired...in another year you'll see soldiers with their pants down in uniform showing their damned boxers.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 2:05pm

It makes me think that the guy that first thought up marketing these systems is a genius. He's assured a hefty profit by targeting the truly stupid into paying for something that not only makes them look like idiots, but annoys almost everyone in a wide radius of it. Its got to be youth thing, since I see all races and ethnicities doing it. The music always sounds the same too....just "BOOM BOOM BOOM". I'm no spring chicken, but I'm not old enough to be "old" yet. I just think younger people are dumber nowadays. (sorry kids, its what I see, not what I want)

Going to work one day a freakin' senior NCO I know pulled up in his hoopty booming booming booming the overpriced and overpowered custom stereo system. I just looked at him and said "Way to set the example for the troops, sarge." He just looked at me like he couldn't believe I said that. I returned it  with the look of "You know I'm f**kin' right.". I'm glad I'm retired...in another year you'll see soldiers with their pants down in uniform showing their damned boxers.

It's the chicks.

They do it for the chicks...

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 2:14pm

I sometimes wonder if, along with installing such systems, these guys also loosen the screws on their license plates.  The rattling of license plates is as annoying as the "boom, boom, boom".

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 2:51pm

Not trying to stereotype, but most people who blare their music are playing rap music, and most people into rap music tend to hate music like black/death metal and/or country. You might consider burning a CD of either of those 2 genres and keep it on you at all times and blare it whenever you have to pull up alongide one of those assholes.

I used to play music from such groups as Exciter, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, etc. out of a JVC RC-M70JW ghetto blaster that I had riding shotgun in my car. Although I played it fairly loudly, it was never of such high amplitude so as to shake the windows or reverberate down the block like those assholes blasting their rap or hippy-hop "music" from a 500W/channel stereo with this big-ass subwoofer (fed by its own 1KW amp!) in the trunk!!! Angry

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 3:07pm
I've considered doing something like that if I'm ever again plagued with loud, screaming little kids playing next door & in the street in front of my house until after dark every day.

Hook up some decent sized cheap speakers to my old stereo, put them in the front window, pointed straight at them & blast the most obnoxious thrash metal I can find at full volume until they either can't stand it anymore or their parents get the hint & make them come inside at a decent hour.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 3:42pm
I've told this story before.

There was a record store on the corner of Haight and Masonic in SF called Reckless Records, where a lot of homeless/runaway kids with their puppies used to gather to harass people for money or to try to sell them weed and acid.  The store had tried having the cops disperse them, but they'd just return minutes later.

So, the store decided to annoy the kids away.  They hooked up some cheap loudspeakers over the spots where the young rasta-haired ragamuffins gathered, and piped The Barney Song out there during business hours.  On top of that, they fluctuated the volume from loud to soft. 

It worked.  Barney kept the kids away.  Brilliant move!

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 9:07pm

I used to blast Kansas' Dust In The Wind when stuck at a light. It didn't help and was a hassle - and I despised the song too.

Spring time is almost here so it's only gonna get worse. The bikers with straight pipes(how do they get away with that?) wearing German helmets will be out and about in numbers.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2013 at 11:38pm
I hope this is acceptable neighborhood noise source even though it isn't cars or dogs but mine is motorcycles.  Sorry to all you bikers.  I live on a very busy county road that is the only direct connector between 2 much used highways.  I also have an old house with poor insulation and sound proofing.  It's especially irritating in the spring and summer when I am outside.  They allow large groups of motorcyclists to run anywhere they want in my county even though state law has limits. So I get to hear "rolling thunder" sometimes for 5, 10 or even 15 minutes--it sucks.  On weekends, every few minutes several or larger groups go by.

Many bikers modify their bikes even though it is illegal and no one tickets them for it--I know, many cops ride motorcycles.  It is really bad on weekends and it sucks when you are trying to enjoy being outside--and yeah, I get to hear their damn music, too!  Plus, not very many people who live around me own a motorcycle so we are having to put up with people who don't even live in our neighborhood.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 1:21am
I try to leave a small footprint outdoors -- don't play the music too loud and usually cuss under my breath. I am glad I don't own a gun.
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 1:24am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I hope this is acceptable neighborhood noise source even though it isn't cars or dogs but mine is motorcycles.  Sorry to all you bikers.  I live on a very busy county road that is the only direct connector between 2 much used highways.  I also have an old house with poor insulation and sound proofing.  It's especially irritating in the spring and summer when I am outside.  They allow large groups of motorcyclists to run anywhere they want in my county even though state law has limits. So I get to hear "rolling thunder" sometimes for 5, 10 or even 15 minutes--it sucks.  On weekends, every few minutes several or larger groups go by.

Many bikers modify their bikes even though it is illegal and no one tickets them for it--I know, many cops ride motorcycles.  It is really bad on weekends and it sucks when you are trying to enjoy being outside--and yeah, I get to hear their damn music, too!  Plus, not very many people who live around me own a motorcycle so we are having to put up with people who don't even live in our neighborhood.

Start scattering those square roofing nails all over the road.
A few dozen flat tires & they'll likely start getting the hint.
Of course, you won't be able to drive on the road either, so....

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Theoted Theoted wrote:

I try to leave a small footprint outdoors -- don't play the music too loud and usually cuss under my breath. I am glad I don't own a gun.

The loudest noise I make when outside is when my sneakers squeak.

C'mon, man!
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 1:30am
I thought those were your sneakers I heard!
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic