Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Cat Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Cat Thread
    Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:45pm
(Deleted)

It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:28pm
I have just the 1 ball of fur who seems to sleep 23 hours a day and spends the other hour eating.  I'm exaggerating of course, but she is getting up there in years so has become pretty docile compared to her younger adulthood.   She still will succumb to the shoestring or something of the sort and I can get her engine to kick into high gear, but other than that she's pretty much a "chill" cat these days.  
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:35pm
We have 2 cats, Tyler and Willow.  They are littermates, and will be 12 in July.  In their advancing age, they do a lot of relaxing.Sleepy

When I get up in the morning, they are ready to eat their wet food immediately.  I give them each a 1/2 can of Fancy Feast, and they are satisfied with that and their dry food.

Tyler is a short hair Tuxedo Tabby, and Willow is a short hair Calico.

Willow is the most active.  She is going to make us buy child locks for the cabinets, because, of course, she loves to open them and walk right in.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

Willow is the most active.  She is going to make us buy child locks for the cabinets, because, of course, she loves to open them and walk right in.

Hopefully those work, but when it comes to cats, where there's a will there's a way:

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 4:57pm
Good one!

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:12pm
My aunt was keeping my cousin's cat, a former stray, for him after he brought it home from college because he couldn't keep it at the campus.  Shortly thereafter, various lights throughout the house would mysteriously turn on or off.  Though unsettling at first, it didn't take her long to discover it was just the cat jumping to hit the light switches LOL
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:15pm
We have 6 (I shiit you not -- SIX!) of the little meowing bundles of joy in this house.

The first is (of course) my special little fuzzbomb Nikki.
Then there's my sister's cat Pookie, my stepmother's kitties Baby, Patches, and Bear-Bear, and a family friend's cat Jo-Jo (who we have temporary custody of until his owner finds a place to live).

For a brief time, we had a seventh cat named Pickles, but he was diagnosed with feline AIDS and my stepmother had him euthanised ("put to sleep") which was the most humane thing to do (he had several infections and he was rather seriously emaciated {skinny}), so he is now 

They all gather in the kitchen around me at 8:00am PST for Little Friskies canned food, and again at 5:00pm PST for Fancy Feast canned food -- they have dry food available to them in three large cat dishes 24/7.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:24pm
When we lived in NY, we had 5.  When it came time to move, friends and family took 3 of them, so only 2 had to make the long trip to Michigan. 

Willow used to be the grumpy alpha cat.  Now that it's just her and her brother, she's a sweet attention seeker (when she's not looking out the window or snoozing.)  The difference is amazing.

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:36pm
This is from 1996, when we had first adopted Banshee. 'Stache (the black and white one) was our first cat, but we noticed how she'd sit in the window and look so sad when we both left the house. So we got Banshee to be her friend. 'Stache was like an older sister to her, and they got along fine. Banshee was hilarious....she'd "attack" Stache who was twice her size and never give up, no matter how many times 'Stache easily overpowered her. 'Stache unfortunately had to be put down a few years ago. she was so ill, and in pain. We still miss her. She was the only cat that Banshee actually got along with.

This is from around 2008. When we first moved to Ft. Bragg we rented this house. Banshee's favorite spot was right there by the glass door. Its around the time we adopted Patches. ('stache is there too, and so is Jet Jaguar). Banshee never has liked Jet very much and to this day he still avoids her. Banshee only "tolerated" Patches, who as you can see was a small kitten. Patches basically folled Jet around since he would play with her, and he also kept Banshee from swatting her.

I don't have a picture of Banshee's nemesis, but there was a big fluffy orange cat we nicknamed "Sasquatch" that would come and sit on the opposite side of the glass and have stare-down contests with Banshee. Sasquatch wasn't a stray...he was too well groomed, had a collar full of tags and usually a fresh clean bow. Someone in the neighborhood owned him (maybe her, but he was HUGE so we thought he was a guy) and let him out at night. One morning on my way back home to change from PTs into uniform I saw him crossing the street with an entourage of other cats. It was kind of cute. But he rarely made an appearance in the day. But at night he'd be there staring in and Banshee which drove her bananas. One night when I got up to use the bathroom he scared the crap (pardon the pun) outta me. The Bathroom window was open (but screened) and he was sitting on the outside sill staring at me. I looked up and all I saw were his glowing cat eyes at first . My yelp made Banshee run into the bathroom, leap onto the inside sill and begin their nightly stare down. It never resulted in her scratching at the glass or screen, just growls and staring. Hilariously Sasquatch never made a sound.

Banshee for her part doesn't like it outside. She's the only cat we have that never ever made a beeline for an open door. I took her out in the yard with me once (since I know she wouldn't run away to chase something) and she walked back to the door and mewled to be let back inside. Now that we have a screened in porch Banshee still doesn't like going out there if we open the door. The others love it. Banshee hates it.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

After the Friskies and Bake a Bone ads, a lot of talk of cats has started to flood the commercial forums. Methinks maybe it's a good idea to have a designated cat thread to talk about all things soft and purring.

I'll start.

One cat or two?

My husband seems to want a second cat so Demetri has a friend, yet my husband has an allergy to cats and I'm afraid having a second one around would just jinx the good thing we have going. If I vacuum once a week and use a foam shampoo on the cat every week or 2, his sniffling is at a minimum. Also afraid 'metri won't be as cuddly with me if he has a little kitty friend to cuddle with. He plays with the dogs, but I think he would enjoy playing with another cat better. He also seems to enjoy having imminent domain over the entire house and I'm not sure he would want to share...

How old is Demetri?  Felines playing with each other is mainly a kitten/young cat thing.  That wanes after awhile.  When I got my three tuxedos, they eventually stopped playing as much with each other, and settled into acceptance of one another, along with sniffing each other, nudging faces, occasionally tumbling with each other for maybe 5 seconds at a time once a week.  I've found that cat behavior progresses kinda like human behavior.

Killer remained playful up to the day he died, but he was the runt of the litter, and in size, looks and behavior, never left the kitten stage behind. 

But don't think that Demetri is going to stop cuddling with you if he gets a feline buddy.  Cuddling is an individual thing---independent of having another cat around.  My Mickey is very affectionate, while his bro Mal is more aloof.

Dogs are different.  Dogs have that pack mentality.

But if you decide on another cat, you have to do certain things.  Most important is that you keep him sequestered---maybe in his own room---for a few weeks.  This'll give Demetri a chance to get accustomed to his existence, and to not feel threatened.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:47pm

Tyler, stretched out.

Willow

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:53pm
We have 2, and they are best buds.

We got Bennie, the Siamese-ish/bluepoint (born 2009) when he was 2. He's a dear little boy, but he missed his buddies at the rescue, and would wander around the house yowling, I guess looking for his friends. He was my choice, so Mr. O got to pick the next one. He chose Evelyn, the medium-haired fancy girl with the flowing tail (born 2011) when she was a few months old. After a brief adjustment period, they became inseparable. 

Bennie is calm and sweet and... shall we say... "average" intelligence. Evelyn is too smart for her own good, and a little bratty, but also a scaredy cat around anyone but me! They spend most of the day together, scampering and wrestling, looking out the window and chattering at squirrels, or cuddling on their favorite spots. 
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:57pm
Mine got in a slap-fest this morning.  I was dishing out the Fancy Feast.  Tyler did the leg rub on me.  Willow thought it was inappropriate.Tongue

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 5:58pm

Tyler, stretched out.

Oh my God that's adorable LOL

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:04pm

Tyler, stretched out.

As Shoebox of the group Worm Quartet said in one of his very recent songs, "...and he's cute as phucking shiit!!!LOLSmileClapSmileLOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:06pm

When we lived in NY, we had 5.  When it came time to move, friends and family took 3 of them, so only 2 had to make the long trip to Michigan. 

Willow used to be the grumpy alpha cat.  Now that it's just her and her brother, she's a sweet attention seeker (when she's not looking out the window or snoozing.)  The difference is amazing.

Cats' interpersonal dynamics are fascinating, aren't they?

I hate to say it, but I'll be interested to see how alpha Mal behaves once Sneakers goes.  He's soooo upset by Sneakers' presence.  I have no idea why.  Sneakers is 18, has no front claws, and weighs maybe 6 lbs---yet based on Mal's behavior, you'd think that Sneakers is out to kill him.  Granted, Sneakers gets a kick out of this, and actually encourages it.  Still, Mal's hatred of Sneakers is not based in reality---at least not in any reality I can see.

Maybe he still sees Sneakers as an alpha.  And maybe when Sneakers is gone, Mal will be able to settle back into his comfortable position as king of the hill.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

How old is Demetri?  Felines playing with each other is mainly a kitten/young cat thing. 

He's a little over a year now going by the shelter estimate that he was 4 months old when I adopted him. Him and my youngest dog wrestle each other constantly and he enjoys stalking her. My other 2 dogs really ignore him. Sometimes I just feel like he's bored. He'll walk around the house meowing for no reason and lately he's begun chasing his tail. Cat has plenty of toys and I'm always engaging him, I just don't know if it's because he's young or what.

I think my husband is just obsessed with getting a cat that has the cream and brown coloration of a Siamese, without it being a Siamese. Like a Birman. I guess I can respect that, I was obsessed with having a silver cat with green eyes.

It's ok, I'm in marketing!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:16pm
The only thing I can think of is that Sneakers is the elder, Mal knows it, and doesn't appreciate it one bit!  That's too funny, Thor!  

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:17pm
photo-9 by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
The little devils posing.

photo-8 by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
Smug!!

photo-1 by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
Show-off

photo-7 by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
My handsome fellow (he prefers "pawsome")
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:23pm
^^ That first picture is amazing! Looks like it was taken at a studio, with one sitting up and one lying down.
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

^^ That first picture is amazing! Looks like it was taken at a studio, with one sitting up and one lying down.

I know! I can't believe I caught it! It reminds me of an old-timey family portrait, where everyone is so serious.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

How old is Demetri?  Felines playing with each other is mainly a kitten/young cat thing. 

He's a little over a year now going by the shelter estimate that he was 4 months old when I adopted him. Him and my youngest dog wrestle each other constantly and he enjoys stalking her. My other 2 dogs really ignore him. Sometimes I just feel like he's bored. He'll walk around the house meowing for no reason and lately he's begun chasing his tail. Cat has plenty of toys and I'm always engaging him, I just don't know if it's because he's young or what.

I think my husband is just obsessed with getting a cat that has the cream and brown coloration of a Siamese, without it being a Siamese. Like a Birman. I guess I can respect that, I was obsessed with having a silver cat with green eyes.

I think if we didn't have the baby on the way I'd let him get one, I just don't think I want to put another cat on my plate right now. We're like the only ones I know with a single cat, everyone has 2-5 of them.

"A little over a year" makes sense.  Rocco's 15 months, and still very playful.  He's starting to settle down, though.  I noticed that, unlike last summer, when he's outdoors now, he'll actually let me pick him up, rather than dart away whenever I approach.

I don't really care about coloring.  I do wish, however, that Rocco didn't match the asphalt.

Re the number of cats in a household---my sis-in-law once told me that "after two, it doesn't matter".  That's why I felt okay going from no cats to having 3 tuxedos...and then adding another here and there.  I think five would be my limit.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:33pm
Here's my little devil in a profile pose:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:41pm

Having a cat with really distinctive markings has an advantage.  They're recognizable.  When Capone went missing, I was having to look at a lot of pics on the 'net of found cats that looked very much like him.  My tuxedo cats, on the other hand, I'd recognize in an instant.

Long story here, but I'll make it short.  When my neighbors moved in next door in 2003, they once tried to "steal" Siamese cat Sneakers because they thought it was their own Siamese.  To make matters worse, theirs is named Snickers.  So when they called "Snickers", Sneakers came.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 6:47pm
I love this thread! Your cats are adorable!

I have one cat right now. Her name is Blackberry and she's the sweetest ball of fluff! She always meows and rubs up against me when she sees me come into the kitchen.

I feel bad for her because she's had a bad time of things last year. Her "playmate" Jellybean died last January. The whole family was devastated (me especially, since she was technically my cat) and Blackberry did her best to comfort us. But the loss didn't really hit her until around September. She lost a lot of her playfulness and hid a lot. Then Hurricane Sandy hit and poor Blackberry was a wreck. She knew that something bad was going to happen because the day of the storm, she went upstairs and hid under my sister's bed. She wouldn't leave the upstairs of the house; we had to bring her food and water dishes up to the hallway, where she stayed for two months. She barely ate during this time. She didn't even come downstairs for Christmas, which she loves because of the tree. She also peed on our beds and because of that, we banished her from the bedrooms.

We took her to the vet in January and he said she was suffering from anxiety because of all that had happened in the past year. She now mainly stays in the kitchen in an old box. She's slowly coming back to her old self, which is good. But I wonder if she would benefit with a playmate. I really want another cat but most of my family doesn't.

I'll post a picture of her soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic