Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Repeat Offenders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People Eating in Commercials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People Eating in Commercials
    Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 3:50pm
This complaint is so basic, I'm sure it will never be resolved, but I am sick of having to watch people eat the product they're shilling in commercials.

Yes, I know it seems like an obvious marketing strategy, and perfectly logical. But it's also gross and insulting. First of all, anyone who is able to watch and comprehend a TV commercial is most likely capable of feeding themselves. We don't need a demonstration. "Open hole. Insert yogurt. Make O-face." Yeah, I've got it, thanks.

More than that, I just think watching people eat is gross. It probably doesn't bother most people, but I know there are a few of us out there who just can't get into watching others gobble, slurp, smack, chomp, snarf, and masticate up-close and with extra added sound effects. Dead Plus, whoever directs these commercials apparently gives the most idiotic instructions, like "close your lips around the fork and then just hold it there a second, like you're totally getting off on the low-calorie fake chocolate snack" or "make sure you keep your mouth open while you crunch that potato chip so everyone can get a good look at how crunchy it is." 

One of the worst offenders lately is cereal. There must be some kind of production code for cereal commercials that mandates that the actors use huge soup-ladle-sized spoons to cram the stuff in, making sure to dribble some milk down their chins. And if it's a woman, of course this is followed by O-face. One of the worst is the new Honey Bunches of Oats with Greek Yogurt. First of all, shut up Greek yogurt craze. Second, the actors in it are insufferable -- a wide variety of age, gender, and race, all united by a common need to act like an asshole pretending to be impressed by gross cereal. Another bad one is Great Grains, with a bunch of smug peri-menopausal chicks standing around a field in Coldwater Creek sweaters, shoveling in that whole grain nonsense. Especially the bitch at the end who takes a huge shovelful, and then with mouth still full, says "MMMM. Greaygrains." 

Please, advertisers, for the love of God... just show me a nicely-lit picture of the food, with a short voiceover by someone with a non-regional accent telling me why it's good, and call it a day. 
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 3:54pm

LOL  That cracked me up.  

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 3:59pm
Good rant LOL  And it shares the feelings of plenty of us on here.

- Closeups of them forcing food into their maws, then panning out to show them smiling and closing their eyes as they chew. 

- Talking while chewing and smacking food.

- Slow motion chewing.

- Intentional mess making around the mouth from the product (McDonald's makes a point to do this with almost all their McRib commercials.  Then there's also that Jack in the Box "Drive By Nugging" crap)

It's freaking disgusting. 
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:07pm
Thanks guys! Embarrassed Embarrassed It's true what they say -- it helps just knowing you're not alone in your struggles!

Insanity, OMG, I didn't even think about the slow-motion! And the messy face! Like that horrible woman in the yogurt commercial who hoovered one down right there in the grocery store, and then smirked like she was so proud of the undignified display.

I have yet to come across "Drive By Nugging" but it sounds pretty stupid! I actually had JitB nuggets for the first time yesterday and they were passable.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

I have yet to come across "Drive By Nugging" but it sounds pretty stupid! I actually had JitB nuggets for the first time yesterday and they were passable.

I'm not even sure if a thread was ever made for it in the CIH section.  The whole premise of the commercial is idiotic:

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:27pm
Yeah, that was pretty stupid! I guess it's a nice reversal to have the attractive females be the slobby morons for once...?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 4:42pm
I do agree with this, however, Andy Griffith used to do commercials for Ritz crackers that made me hungry.  Here's one.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 5:09pm
Andy was endearing enough that I'll let it slide, but that shot toward the end with the "seefood" was a bit much! 
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:40pm
this is almost along the same vein but I also CANNOT stand so-called Food Shows that show the host eaitng either in a restaurant or on their own show.

Guy Fieri and Adam Richman are norotious for taking enornous chomps out of a burger or sandwich, then trying to talk and describe whatever the f**k they just ate.

Paula Deen almos needs CPR when she takes a bite out of her concotions.

And Lydia's Italy Lydia looks like she could gnaw her faucet while she's cooking.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 7:44pm
Adam Richman might be the biggest slob on TV I've ever seen, especially when he does whatever food challenge it is.  I sure hope that when he sits down for a 'normal' meal he doesn't eat like a damn caveman.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:09pm
Not to be picky insanity, but eating like a caveman is much healthier than most people today.  I'd compare him to eating like a 16 year-old boy.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:09pm
^ I noticed Adam stopped doing those challenges. His colon must have been ready to explode.

Now the one who really steams my clams is the fat "United States of Bacon" bastard. He's a BLT away from the final gurney ride.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Not to be picky insanity, but eating like a caveman is much healthier than most people today.  I'd compare him to eating like a 16 year-old boy.

Paleo diet?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Paleo diet?

Yep, bought the book.  Ended up eating it.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 8:54pm

True .. my analogy was more geared toward how he eats than what he eats though.  I'm surprised he even used silverware in some of the challenges that I saw.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 9:17pm

Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Paleo diet?

Yep, bought the book.  Ended up eating it.
I could probably get into it if I lived in a city or large town with a variety of stores (Trader Joe's is mandatory), but in a really small town with a really small variety of quality foods, I'd probably waste away.
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 12:07am
Runner up...The Campbells soup commercial where several people make the wow face in a close up. They aren't eating, but come the f**k on. Campbells regular soup isn't enough to feed a mouse, and it ain't that good. I want to smack everyone in that ad in the face with a rusty shovel.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

this is almost along the same vein but I also CANNOT stand so-called Food Shows that show the host eaitng either in a restaurant or on their own show.

Guy Fieri and Adam Richman are norotious for taking enornous chomps out of a burger or sandwich, then trying to talk and describe whatever the f**k they just ate.

And Lydia's Italy Lydia looks like she could gnaw her faucet while she's cooking.

I try to avoid most of them, but I accidentally caught some of Guy on one of the trillion episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Disgusting Eaters the other day. Wow. Seriously unpleasant to watch and hear! Rachael Ray makes some gross noises, and also uses a lot of words that irk me, like "yum-o" and "EVOO." And her dog food brand has the worst name of all, "Nutrish." Stern Smile

However, I've recently gotten hooked on Restaurant Impossible and Kitchen Nightmares, and Robert Irvine and Gordon Ramsay both have passable table manners. The only problem is when Gordon decides to dramatically vomit whatever he's just tasted. Why don't they bleep that?! Dead
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2013 at 7:28am
I dunno why these TV chefs have to have so much "personality".  Gimme the likes of Lydia Bastianich, who was low-keyed, but whose food always looked so damned good.  Also, her food always seemed do-able---not stuff that only "top chefs" could concoct.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 5:52am
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

I'm not even sure if a thread was ever made for it in the CIH section.  The whole premise of the commercial is idiotic:

All I can say is, Jack needs to get back in his box.

Whitedog127 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitedog127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:34am

I try to avoid most of them, but I accidentally caught some of Guy on one of the trillion episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Disgusting Eaters the other day. Wow. Seriously unpleasant to watch and hear! Rachael Ray makes some gross noises, and also uses a lot of words that irk me, like "yum-o" and "EVOO." And her dog food brand has the worst name of all, "Nutrish." Stern Smile

However, I've recently gotten hooked on Restaurant Impossible and Kitchen Nightmares, and Robert Irvine and Gordon Ramsay both have passable table manners. The only problem is when Gordon decides to dramatically vomit whatever he's just tasted. Why don't they bleep that?! Dead

Thank you for bringing up that stupid dog food name, Nutrish...it PISSES ME OFF! Are we really so lazy we can't finish saying 'nutritious'?? And to add my 2 cents to the eating in commercials thread...I hate when they show kids with half of what they are eating smeared all around their mouth, especially if they are old enough not to do that. It's NOT CUTE!
Braaaandy Aaaaalexaaaaaander!
jhon5torres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhon5torres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 1:13am
Yes i agree the commercials that show kids with food smeared around their mouth it's disgusting not cute
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 1:51am
I just saw a Bounty commercial where a little kid was eating/playing with spaghetti not cute, annoying.

Don't get me started on the McDonald's commercial where actors/actresses take a huge bite out of huge burgers.

It's worse on Hardee's/Carl's Jr. commercials
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 5:35pm
I would LOVE to see one of those so-called celebrity chefs in tears because they just burnt off the roof of their pie hole chomping into something that was about 600 degrees.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 5:18pm

I would LOVE to see one of those so-called celebrity chefs in tears because they just burnt off the roof of their pie hole chomping into something that was about 600 degrees.

LOLLOLLOLLOL That, or spitting out the food they just tasted. Seriously, EVERYTHING you eat can't taste good. There's got to be a blooper reel somewhere of these guys proclaiming that what they just ate was total crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic