Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friskies "Will Kitty Play It?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friskies "Will Kitty Play It?"
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 8:15am

Not sure if this is an Internet-only ad, which is why I didn't put it in that section.

Anywho, this is getting VERY common on Youtube - must've seen it dozens of times as mandatory viewing before videos by now.

The actual concept might be cute if they didn't drag it out so long and overdramatize it.
Sponsored Links

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 2:30pm
That sh*t was way too long, and digger is a stupid name for a cat. The answer is yes, my cat would play with the spork, but he'd be way more interested in the box they took away. I don't get the point of this ad, it has nothing to do with cat food. Friskies is garbage anyway unless you're doing wet food. Cats fed on dry need 45% protein content, Friskies is 30%. I feed my mini panther taste of the wild, and at 42% it's close enough without breaking the bank. I throw in a Friskies can twice a week just to liven his life up a bit.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 3:30pm

Long and boring.  Not sure I'd let my cats play with plastic utensils, either.  Not that they would, anyway.

From all I've read about cat food, I've come to no conclusions.  Some people say Friskies---wet or dry---is good, others say it's not.  I don't know.  Except for my 19 y/o Sneakers (who's lost weight only over the past year or so), my cats are healthy and at a moderate weight.  Mickey and Mal have been eating a combo of Friskies wet food and the cheaper dry foods for 11 years.  With up to five cats at any given point (presently, I have four), buying the expensive stuff is outta the question---especially when the jury seems to be out, and my cats have all done well on dry Friskies/Whiskas/Meow Mix and Friskies wet food.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 5:03pm
Since this is my first cat (besides the one I grew up with) I don't have much to compare him to. My parent's cat lived to be 18, and she was fed like meow mix or something. The only draw back to high protein cat food is their poop SMELLS, and I mean rank. Demetri's coat is hella glossy and the only health problem he has is a constant runny nose. It's one of those things where if you can feed better, why not? 2 out of 3 of my dogs require high quality food because of allergies, and I can't give the dogs expensive food without considering the cat's health.

I think the biggest take away I found when reading up on cat feeding is, go with wet, because the worst wet is better than the best dry. In my case it's cheaper to feed my bohemith high protein dry than feed him low quality wet. Plus I want him around as long as possible. If feeding him TOTW adds an extra year to his life, then it was worth the cost.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:11pm
One thing I've found with multiple cats, is that they each have their own "relationship" with food.  Their habits, what they prefer, when they prefer it, how fast they eat, etc.  It'll drive you nuts.  There's no way I could ever single out a cat that had special requirements, and make sure he gets it---especially when there's a half-eaten bowl of the tastier stuff just feet away.

I especially love it when they're in the kitchen demanding to be fed, and then when I do, they just look at it and walk away.  I really wish cats would eat the way dogs do.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm
Agreed -- cute concept, boring execution. Plus, everyone knows that a cat's favorite toy is the little plastic loop you remove to open a gallon of milk. That little springy, milk-flavored piece of junk brings more excitement to my cats' lives than anything I've intentionally bought them!

My dad (who has degrees in Animal Science) told me that most house cats will not voluntarily take in enough water to keep their kidneys healthy, so it's a good idea to supplement dry food with some wet. However, the dry helps keep their teeth clean, so a combination is best. Unfortunately my little Siamese mix is a puker, and Iams is the only thing he can keep down, so our cat food budget is a bit steep. 

Thor, both of mine do the beg for food/walk away when fed trick, and they start begging way earlier than I want to wake up. Little bastards.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by LittleO LittleO wrote:

Thor, both of mine do the beg for food/walk away when fed trick, and they start begging way earlier than I want to wake up. Little bastards.

^LOLLOL  I wake up in the middle of the night, and mine think it's Fancy Feast time.  I give them a few treats before I get back into bed.  Our cat Willow is really LOUD when she's demanding food, and it's not cool at 4am.  I'm just glad the treats hold her over until I get up for real.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:54pm

Agreed -- cute concept, boring execution. Plus, everyone knows that a cat's favorite toy is the little plastic loop you remove to open a gallon of milk. That little springy, milk-flavored piece of junk brings more excitement to my cats' lives than anything I've intentionally bought them!

About 7 years ago, I noticed that PetSmart was selling those things (well, something very similar) in packets of four.  I thought, "Who the hell would pay for these things when you can get them free off the tops of milk bottles?"

Well, lo and behold...I don't know about other parts of the country, but those tear-away loops have been replaced by hard, thin rings, which cats don't seem to go for as much.  When I got Capone and Rocco last year, they found one of the old ones under a dresser or something, and played with it till it was broken into pieces.  I went on a mission, moving furniture, cleaning under the stove, etc., and came up with about five of 'em from years ago. 

Now I wish I'd bought those stupid  things from PetSmart years ago.  They no longer have them.  I don't know what it is about them, but it seems that all cats love those things.  And to think of the bucks I spent on "official" cat toys that just sit in the cat toy bowl in the corner, collecting dust.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 10:41pm

Agreed -- cute concept, boring execution. Plus, everyone knows that a cat's favorite toy is the little plastic loop you remove to open a gallon of milk.

My cat enjoys those, but drinking straws are his absolute favorite. I can't drink out of one without him stalking the sh*t out of me until I leave the glass unattended. Then he swoops in, steals it, and bats it around until it gets lost under the door to the attic. Either way, free toys.

He's pretty good about begging too. He only starts a half hour before dinner time, then eats a few bites and walks away satisfied. Occasionally he yowls for food and his bowl still has food in it. WTF. I'm thankful he still hasn't quite figured out people food. He understands macaroni and cheese and everything else is batted on the floor for the dogs to eat.

He rarely drinks, and when he does he has to bat the kitchen water dish around until the water is swirling, only then will he drink. Cats are so demanding, like he NEEDS moving water to take a drink, yet he still hasn't figured out drinking from the tap. I give him canned twice a week and cat milk as an occasional snack to make sure he's getting his fluids.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

About 7 years ago, I noticed that PetSmart was selling those things (well, something very similar) in packets of four.  I thought, "Who the hell would pay for these things when you can get them free off the tops of milk bottles?"

Well, lo and behold...I don't know about other parts of the country, but those tear-away loops have been replaced by hard, thin rings, which cats don't seem to go for as much.  When I got Capone and Rocco last year, they found one of the old ones under a dresser or something, and played with it till it was broken into pieces.  I went on a mission, moving furniture, cleaning under the stove, etc., and came up with about five of 'em from years ago. 

Now I wish I'd bought those stupid  things from PetSmart years ago.  They no longer have them.  I don't know what it is about them, but it seems that all cats love those things.  And to think of the bucks I spent on "official" cat toys that just sit in the cat toy bowl in the corner, collecting dust.

I have found that cats and little kids can be a lot alike. They would rather play with the box than the toy. My Grandson could open his own Toys-R-Us. A couple of weeks ago he rescued an empty plastic coffee "can" from the recycle bin. He used it as a drum, stood on it, kicked it around, and threw it up and caught it like a ball for nearly an hour! He is usually bored with his expensive toys in 5 to 10 minutes.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 10:51pm
^^ When my niece was 2, she was sooo excited when she opened her Christmas present from me and thought that I'd gotten her a cardboard box.  She was even more excited when we told her to open the box and she found newspaper (being used as padding/filling) inside the box.

The actual present was a Simba plush toy, which of course was inside the box and under the newspaper LOL She finally got to it and loved it, but it was so funny seeing her initial enthusiasm over the packaging.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 11:08pm
I don't know why parents don't take advantage of that while they can.  For some reason, they insist on putting actual presents inside all those boxes and wrapping paper for the kid's first few Christmases and birthdays.

Parents!  Wise up!  Take advantage of this while you can.  It won't be long before your kids are demanding $400 iPhones!

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 3:56pm
Dumbest game show EVER!!!!Thumbs Down
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:24pm

It seems like the hard, thin loops were more common when I lived up north, and the cat-toy variety are more prevalent in Texas, but it's not a fast rule. I'd probably buy the PetSmart toys if I came across them because my cats destroy the free ones way faster than we go through a gallon of milk!

The only real cat toy they love that much is the stick with feathers on the end. Unfortunately, PetSmart replaced the white plastic curlies on them with colored cellophane curlies that are apparently far less exciting, and my cats turn up their snoots at them. Our family calls this behavior "typicat."
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 4:49pm
My Rocco kinda likes those sometimes, too.  The older cats, not so much.  But what Rocco really wants is the laser pointer.

I just found one of those hard plastic milk bottle rings in the toilet.  Rocco put it there, no doubt.  I'd really like to know what was going through his mind when he decided to do that.  What spurred him to make that decision?  Did he actually think "I'm gonna drop this ring in the toilet to see what happens"?  Maybe he was just showing his displeasure with it.  LOL

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:07pm

My Rocco kinda likes those sometimes, too.  The older cats, not so much.  But what Rocco really wants is the laser pointer.

I just found one of those hard plastic milk bottle rings in the toilet.  Rocco put it there, no doubt.  I'd really like to know what was going through his mind when he decided to do that.  What spurred him to make that decision?  Did he actually think "I'm gonna drop this ring in the toilet to see what happens"?  Maybe he was just showing his displeasure with it.  LOL

I find used Q-tips and/or hair elastics in the water dish at least once a week. We keep the toilet lids down (cats+feng shui) or I'm sure they would be a prime target as well. One of our cats is obsessed with the water dish -- knocking it over (regardless of size, weight, rubberized bottom, etc.), putting things in it, scooting it around, etc. She is driving me crazy. I've slipped and almost died on the spilled water so many times, plus the other cat doesn't get to have fresh water when he needs it. Anybody in the market for a small cat with a fluffy tail?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm
I always keep the three toilet lids up precisely so my cats can get water whenever and wherever they want.  They also have two water bowls.  When I got kittens Capone and Rocco, I kept the lids down so that I wouldn't come home and find them a-floatin'.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 9:19pm

One of our cats is obsessed with the water dish -- knocking it over (regardless of size, weight, rubberized bottom, etc.), putting things in it, scooting it around, etc.

My cat does this too! I have one of those mini inverted water jug dishes that self fills in the living room for the dogs, and a plastic cereal bowl in the kitchen for my third dog who refuses to grow up and basically lives in the kitchen. The cat constantly hops over the gate and makes a lake on the kitchen floor, for no reason. I think I'm going to get a legitimate weighted water dish for the kitchen because I'm sick of cleaning up spilled water.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:58pm

Forget cereal bowls.  You need bowls that have sides that fan outward.  Cats shouldn't be able to tip these over.  Last I looked, the Dollar Tree has these.  I bought a dual dish with a similar shape there.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

One of our cats is obsessed with the water dish -- knocking it over (regardless of size, weight, rubberized bottom, etc.), putting things in it, scooting it around, etc.

My cat does this too! I have one of those mini inverted water jug dishes that self fills in the living room for the dogs, and a plastic cereal bowl in the kitchen for my third dog who refuses to grow up and basically lives in the kitchen. The cat constantly hops over the gate and makes a lake on the kitchen floor, for no reason. I think I'm going to get a legitimate weighted water dish for the kitchen because I'm sick of cleaning up spilled water.

I'm sick of it too! We've tried everything. The devil cat can even make a mess from those inverted jug setups.

Thor, we have some dishes that shape, and Devil doesn't necessarily knock them over, but she manages to scoot them forcefully enough to slosh the water everywhere. I even got a weighted one with a rubberized bottom rim, and set it on a rubber pet food mat. Didn't make a difference. She is evil. (Mr. O picked her out, despite my misgivings about her devil face!)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 1:56pm
I have the solution, as seen on TV.  You need Ruggies!  Get a small area rug, place it on the floor wherever you feed your animals, and then secure it in place using "Ruggies, the amazing reusable rug grippers that keep rugs and mats in place to prevent unsightly curled corners, bunches, slips and trips"LOL 

Seriously---this isn't a bad idea.  This way, they can neither overturn the bowls nor push them around.

Or you can just let 'em drink outta the toilet.  My cats will walk right past the water bowl, and go into the bathroom to drink water outta the toilet.  Maybe they like it 'cuz it's colder.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 3:11pm

She is evil. (Mr. O picked her out, despite my misgivings about her devil face!)

Okay, now you're gonna have to post some pics of her because I'd be willing to bet my devil-faced cat has a more devily-looking face than your devil faced cat.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 3:28pm

^  There's a website called "Cats that look like Hitler".  It features pictures of cats that look like Hitler.  There are thousands of 'em, but many are just pics of cats with Hitler 'staches attached or Photoshopped to 'em.

LittleO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

She is evil. (Mr. O picked her out, despite my misgivings about her devil face!)

Okay, now you're gonna have to post some pics of her because I'd be willing to bet my devil-faced cat has a more devily-looking face than your devil faced cat.

photo by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
L: Angel Boy  R: Devil Girl

photo-1 by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
Evidence
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:17am

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

photo by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
L: Angel Boy  R: Devil Girl

photo-1 by LittleO-TX, on Flickr
Evidence

Awwwwww.... your "devil girl" looks like a littl sweetheart.

She has very similar fur colorings to my late Buddy, just longer.

Here's my "devil cat" curled up on my lap.

I added the caption for the old "LOL Cats time!!" thread...

You should see her when she lets go with a good hiss.... Shocked

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic