Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grammys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote raynjuls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grammys
    Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 3:27am
Been holding this in for a week. Is it me, or did the opening of the grammys hit a new low for both stupidity and gayness? Forget Taylor Swift and her ridiculous song, it was the over done Alice in Wonderland extravagaynza that became an instant channel switch....   In 1977, I went to see the Eagles in KC, they just kind of trotted on stage, said "Hello KC, we're the Eagles from LA" then played their asses off for three hours... Pretty much all I need from musicians and sadly I'll probably never see that again
When a true genius enters the world, you will know him by this sign; all the dunces will be in confederacy against him....
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 3:42am
You can still still find bands like that, but they're not gonna be big names...unless they're old.

Music's cheap and disposable these days.  It's in video games, commercials and ringtones.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 3:46am
There are still bands like that & many of them are pretty popular.

It's just that most of their music is nothing to get real excited about.

At least not for me anyway.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 3:54am
Rock music has simply seen its day.  The best new music out there seems to always be reminiscent of earlier days or some earlier artist.  With 60 years of rock music behind us, I imagine it's hard to be original.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:05am
There are a lot of reasons for the lack of originality in today's music.

Record companies don't want to take chances on original acts & the public's tastes have gotten so generic they don't want to hear anything else either.

I think it's just reflective of society in general.

Everything has just gotten kind of the same.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

There are a lot of reasons for the lack of originality in today's music.

Record companies don't want to take chances on original acts & the public's tastes have gotten so generic they don't want to hear anything else either.

That might be because music's simply not as important to today's youth as it was to our generation.  Nowadays, it seems to be just another form of distraction---much like Angry Birds and texting.  Music was one of the major ways we used to connect.  Now, there's Facebook

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:38am
That's true.

Music is just another product like everything else is nowadays.

Even healthcare is a product.

C'mon, man!
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:38am

It's a great place to discover new music, facebook. I discovered Ane Brun there. Awesome rock is still out there. You just have got to go out and look for it. You don't have to just be fed radio crap all the time. You can listen to AWESOME STUFF! like DIR EN GREY THE BEST BAND EVER. And this band I just got into this week Arkona and this woman is FANTASTIC and she's so PASSIONATE. OMG I LOVE MUSIC.

Also, Gotye is awesome. This song is BRILLIANT. It's about his keyboard he loves.

Music is never just background noise to me. IT'S AWESOME!
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

It's a great place to discover new music, facebook. I discovered Ane Brun there. Awesome rock is still out there. You just have got to go out and look for it. You don't have to just be fed radio crap all the time. You can listen to AWESOME STUFF! like DIR EN GREY THE BEST BAND EVER. And this band I just got into this week Arkona and this woman is FANTASTIC and she's so PASSIONATE. OMG I LOVE MUSIC.

Also, Gotye is awesome. This song is BRILLIANT. It's about his keyboard he loves.

Music is never just background noise to me. IT'S AWESOME!

Well, everything is a matter of taste.

Somebody who grew up in the 70's & was a young adult during the 80's probably wouldn't be as excited about those bands you mentioned as you are.

I do like some modern acts, like Lykke Li for example, but they tend to be very few & far between.

And besides, who has time to scour the internet for halfway decent music? We used to be able to rely on radio & the record companies to give us good music, but with all the software available nowadays, any semi-talented hack can produce a professional sounding record.

Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters & formerly of Nirvana, has a new movie coming out this month that he produced & directed, about a famous recording studio in Los Angeles called Sound City where the biggest names in music from the 70's recorded albums & that is now defunct due to the advances in digital technology.

Supposed to be very good, you might want to look for it "at a theater near you" as they say.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 4:58am
Didn't even know the Grammy's were on.  Not that I would have bothered to watch it anyway.... LOL 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:00am
^  Yeah, there's good music out there, but it never seems to really matter.  By "matter", I mean it has no effect culturally or socially.  Few have heard of the above artists, so its importance is very niche, its significance almost nonexistent. 

In other words, they're not going to sell out Madison Square Garden three nights in a row.  Nor are they going to get everyone a-buzzin' or change the course of music.  That doesn't mean they're not good; it just means that they'll never be mentioned in the history books.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:06am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Didn't even know the Grammy's were on.  Not that I would have bothered to watch it anyway.... LOL 

Probably the worst of all the music awards.  Not that I'm fond of any music awards.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Probably the worst of all the music awards.  Not that I'm fond of any music awards.

Homer agrees....

LOL

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:11am
I like these days better because back in the days I was a radio slave having to record little snips of a song I liked off the radio. Or I'd have to scour around looking for good stuff like picking meat off a bone. Those college stations were lovely for sad old Irish songs and also opera.
But yesterday I bought 22 mp3s on my iPhone and had them instantly. All of the musicians were bands I fond on Youtube like Jonna Lee who is also iamamiwhoami and is AWESOME. A Japanese band like Dir en grey has no hope of being played on a mainstream radio station, but they have quite a few people going to see them when they come to the US. They haven't sold out at Madison Square Garden, but that's not so bad since they are men who are not very tall and I love being close to the stage to see them. So now, you can discover stuff like EMILIE AUTUMN who I get to see next week who is FANTASTIC and has this sort of classical industrial hybrid going on. The Grammys ignore too much of the good stuff.

Lykke Li is rather nice. I am OBSESSED WITH MUSIC so I can go on about ALL OF THE AWESOME BANDS I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO FOR DAYS. Like TYR! Big smile Someone got me into them this year Big smile
They're so good! Clap
Without hurting me,
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:13am
Another problem is the way we buy music.  Nowadays, we buy songs.  No longer do we need to buy the entire album, listen to the whole thing to justify its purchase (and as a result, start to really "get into" the artist), read the lyrics, enjoy the artwork, etc.  Now, we can just buy the song we like, and that's that.  I'm guilty of it, myself.  There are songs I've gotten from iTunes that I love...but I couldn't tell you another song that that artist has done.

I did recently go to a record store and buy Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  That's simply not an album to buy individual songs off of.  It has to be enjoyed in its entirety.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:16am
I don't buy music period.

I just listen to what I hear.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:16am
I am torn when it comes to that. But then I bought these individual Arkona songs until I heard the trailer for their whole cd and I just bought that and also Gotye's CD too.

But with Dir en grey I got into a few of their songs and then I thought I LOVE THIS BAND SO MUCH so I paid tons of money for their Japanese import CDs.
Without hurting me,
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I don't buy music period.

I just listen to what I hear.

I still wanna own the music I like.  Makes it feel like it's really mine.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:22am
I want musicians I love to make money even if I am guilty of DLing free songs. Without it I would never have discovered Dir en grey, but those guys work hard and deserve to make a lot of money.
Without hurting me,
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I still wanna own the music I like.  Makes it feel like it's really mine.

If I did that, then I'd have to take the time to listen to it.

I'd rather just go to YouTube while I'm online whenever I want to hear a particular song.

And of course, I like to learn new songs to play myself on the git-box.

Just learned "The Valley Road" by Bruce Hornsby.

Been playing it for the past couple of days.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:32am

I want musicians I love to make money even if I am guilty of DLing free songs. Without it I would never have discovered Dir en grey, but those guys work hard and deserve to make a lot of money.

I'm looking forward to the day when musicians all have day jobs & make their music as a hobby then put it on the internet.

The really dedicated ones will keep on making music whether they make a lot of money or not.

Same with TV shows. I hope more groups of actors get together begin to make their own TV shows in their homes & around their towns, etc. & post them online.

Get rid of all these obnoxious, annoying celebrity a-holes & start seeing some real artists produce real art for art's sake rather than fame & money.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:43am
Day jobs? But awesome musicians deserve to get rich. Now some of the nutwits we have now though like Madonna charging tons of money for her shows and being late and showing her butt on the other hand. Now she can have a day job. People like Emilie Autumn deserve her props.
Without hurting me,
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 6:06am
To me, people who risk their lives to save other peoples' lives deserve to be rich.

People who devote their lives to rescuing animals deserve to be rich.

People who sacrifice their own comfort & convenience to help the poor & disadvantaged live decent lives deserve to be rich.

People who put on makeup & play pretend in front of cameras or write trite, pop-culture poetry & put it to music deserve to have day jobs & live like the rest of us.

But hey... whoever said the world was a fair place, eh? Wink

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 6:10am
Well, yeah those folks should be rich too. But music is so AWESOME. Shouldn't the special awesome musicians be filthy rich?

I think athletes should not be paid millions for tossing a ball around.
Without hurting me,
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 1:51pm

Well, yeah those folks should be rich too. But music is so AWESOME. Shouldn't the special awesome musicians be filthy rich?

No, because too often, when they've become filthy rich, they just start to put out "product".  In fact, that could very well be how they've become rich.

I've always contended that the first few albums that artists put out, are their best.  Once they start getting too popular, and the pressure's on to maintain that popularity, they start to go downhill.  Their boredom shows.

There are exceptions.  For example, the Beatles.  But they knew when to stop.  In fact, I'm glad they broke up when they did.  The Rolling Stones didn't.  Although they had a longer than usual run of great albums, they started sucking in the 70s.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic