Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Buy - Amy Poehler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Buy - Amy Poehler
    Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 7:53pm
OK... I realize this chick is supposedly a comedienne, and is supposedly trying to be funny, but it just doesn't work for me.

Sponsored Links

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 8:29pm
This is ANNOYING! I hate how they keep pushing the WE DON'T WORK ON COMMISSION angle, they have been doing that in store for years. Yeah, I get it, you just want to seem helpful and not predatory. Problem is, I worked in electronics retail too so I know the game. You don't get monetary commission, but you DO get unrealistic sales goals. Said goals are tied to how much your manager likes you, and nearly always how many hours you end up getting scheduled for. So you still end up pushing things on customers in an effort to meet your goals just so you have the opportunity to earn hours.

Best Buy needs to give it up. I have never met a "knowledgeable" sales associate that works there. They want the expert environment but the majority of workers on the floor are under 25 so I'm not sure how they expect to do that. Best Buy is widely hated for that very reason.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
dizrythmia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizrythmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:18pm
i wish she'd go away. she's not nearly as funny as the rest of the world would like me to believe she is.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

OK... I realize this chick is supposedly a comedienne, and is supposedly trying to be funny, but it just doesn't work for me.

CryTHANK YOU, 3J, ol'Buddy!
I didn't realize you grabbed this one - daaaaaaamn, I can't stand it - I don' know Amy <whatever.her.name.is>  from 'Shinola', and could care less. She really appears over-made-up and under-funny. I've been searching for words to describe my feelings for this POS...you saved me the pain.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 4:27am
Originally posted by dizrythmia dizrythmia wrote:

i wish she'd go away. she's not nearly as funny as the rest of the world would like me to believe she is.

YES!!! She and Tina Fey need to disappear. Everyone goes on about how funny they are. I don't see the appeal or the humor.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:24am
^Tina, I like. But I have to admit she's actually better dramatically (Mean Girls), or playing the straight man (Which she tends to do most of the time on 30 Rock).

The weird thing about this commercial is that there is no joking person...Both of them feel like the straight man, and when you have a comedienne in an ad, someone has to be making a clear joke/funny act...but...nothing...
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 3:37pm
Commercial with Amy Poehler? 

I hate it already.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 10:15pm
I remember that commercial music from somewhere, I've heard it before.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 4:43am

If dead, awkward silence after a joke or bit is comedy, then she's the master of it....  LOL
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

If dead, awkward silence after a joke or bit is comedy, then she's the master of it....  LOL
She reminds me of a female Jimmy Fallon.  Always trying to be funny and failing miserably, and just piling on the "unfunny" in rapidfire bursts.  It must work on some people, because the aforementioned unfunny d*psh*t has his own late night show, and she's not doing too shabbily either. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 7:16pm
She is so not funny, she couldn't make a convincing Hilary Clinton! Wacko
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:26am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

She reminds me of a female Jimmy Fallon.  Always trying to be funny and failing miserably, and just piling on the "unfunny" in rapidfire bursts.  It must work on some people, because the aforementioned unfunny d*psh*t has his own late night show, and she's not doing too shabbily either. 

Some people might do anything to get themselves onto a TV network....  Wink
LOL
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Some people might do anything to get themselves onto a TV network....  Wink
LOL
For some reason, this made me think of Fallon giving some network exec head, pausing in between bobs to make stupid, random jokes, laugh to himself, and mug to the camera ("Tee hee, giving head to a head," "Man, this job blows. Get it? Job. Blows?"  "More Holler for yer Doller!"). 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 5:11am
I was originally going to have my post have the both of them do something like that ("network exec casting couch"), but couldn't quite find the right words.  But I got the same intent across....  Wink
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 3:27pm

I was originally going to have my post have the both of them do something like that ("network exec casting couch"), but couldn't quite find the right words.  But I got the same intent across....  Wink
That you did, MrTim.  That you did. LOL

- Mark Twain

Praetorian View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

This is ANNOYING! I hate how they keep pushing the WE DON'T WORK ON COMMISSION angle, they have been doing that in store for years. Yeah, I get it, you just want to seem helpful and not predatory. Problem is, I worked in electronics retail too so I know the game. You don't get monetary commission, but you DO get unrealistic sales goals. Said goals are tied to how much your manager likes you, and nearly always how many hours you end up getting scheduled for. So you still end up pushing things on customers in an effort to meet your goals just so you have the opportunity to earn hours.

Best Buy needs to give it up. I have never met a "knowledgeable" sales associate that works there. They want the expert environment but the majority of workers on the floor are under 25 so I'm not sure how they expect to do that. Best Buy is widely hated for that very reason.

Exactly.  Every time I ask when of those a-holes for help, they have to go get somebody else.
mrjim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 7:42pm
OMG, I hate this commercial.  I saw it during the Superbowl and I thought it was the stupidest commercial I have ever seen.  She's about as funny as watching your house burn to the ground. 
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 8:13pm
I was looking for the punchline in this commercial, and I never got it! There wasn't one!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 8:16pm
^^ The only punch in this commercial should be one of the dick punch variety.

clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:32pm
Best buy is closing stores, but they are wasting money contracting SNL stars? Maybe they need to put the money back into the company instead of wasting it on "stars" for their commercials.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 2:35am
I have no bloody idea who this square headed woman is. Apparently from reading some of the other responses, this annoying woman is a comedienne? Why isn't she funny? I thought people in comedy were supposed to be funny! I miss Rodney Dangerfeild.
One man gathers what another man spills
HatyMcHater View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatyMcHater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 3:24am
Originally posted by clamshell clamshell wrote:

Best buy is closing stores, but they are wasting money contracting SNL stars? Maybe they need to put the money back into the company instead of wasting it on "stars" for their commercials.

Yes, they are losing money and have been for a long time. I doubt that we'll be seeing many more Best Buy ads in a few years.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 4:59am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I have no bloody idea who this square headed woman is. Apparently from reading some of the other responses, this annoying woman is a comedienne? Why isn't she funny? I thought people in comedy were supposed to be funny!

Maybe the crowd she runs with thinks she's hilarious 'cause they're bombed out of their skullz on coke and acid.  Or maybe I just don't 'get' NYC/SNL humor....  LOL

Quote clamshell wrote:

No, if you are at the top of a company that may go under, you waste money like crazy.  Then you take a tax credit on all your 'losses'....  Wink
dreamboat View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 11:08pm
The way she intently stares at him through the entire ad is odd, possibly creepy. This ad is a huge swing and a miss. I guess Best Buy spent so much money on it - it debuted during the Superbowl - that they have no choice but to try and leverage some value from it. That it's terrible, not even mildly funny, aggravating to the very demographic you're trying to coerce into your stores, is apparently a non-issue. Amazing how these companies are successful enough to be able to afford national advertising, but wholly inept about choosing a good ad to spend their money on. I don't get it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 11:12pm

Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I have no bloody idea who this square headed woman is. Apparently from reading some of the other responses, this annoying woman is a comedienne? Why isn't she funny? I thought people in comedy were supposed to be funny!

Maybe the crowd she runs with thinks she's hilarious 'cause they're bombed out of their skullz on coke and acid.  Or maybe I just don't 'get' NYC/SNL humor....  LOL

SNL was hit-or-miss even in those beloved early days.  I remember entire shows in which only one or two skits were at all funny.  And I was smoking pot back then and, thus, very easily amused!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic