Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOX News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luanne89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOX News
    Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 10:51pm
I'm so sick of this network and their right-wing "news."  It's nothing more than propaganda. I was stunned when that newswoman made a joke about assassinating Obama on youtube.   Of course, it certainly wasn't the first time they've said something inappropriate, and it sure won't be the last.  I'm no "super-liberal" or anything, but FOX news is ridiculous.

P.S. Bill O'Reilly should burn in hell

Edit:  I am aware that some liberal TV news stations/papers/other forms of media use their power to twist the truth.  I do not mean to make them appear as "perfect" or blameless.    I have nothing against conservatives or people who like FOX News.

Sponsored Links

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 11:20pm
*Subs for Bunny and starts building the bleachers.

Anyone want to run the snack cart?Wink
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 11:24pm
Damn Fox News! It inserted a microchip in the brains of everyone who doesn't like it, and now it FORCES people to watch, whether they want to or not!
Or at least, that's what Keith Olberman told me.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 12:10am
Fox news spells Osama Bin Laden with a U: "Usama Bin Laden".

Think about that.

If every major American news organization uses "Osama", and you use "Usama", what are you saying?
You're saying "We are right, and everyone else is wrong."

And that may be true. The FBI spells it "Usama".

So if Fox reports anything else contradictory to other news outlets, all the other guys must be wrong.
That's what the "Usama" says to me, whenever I see it on Fox. It comes off as arrogant to me.
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 12:17am
Post removed at user's request.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 12:45am

Fox New is IDIOT news...but they'll post about ANYTHING to get your attention - if there was anyone to use as an example for 'Yellow Journalism', FOX IS THE BEST EXAMPLE.

But I sure find some verifiably stupid news there...and some first rate, verifiable archeology news...so they are not totally useless...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:25am
I am surprised there hasn't been a Fox News rant already.

P.S. Rupert Murdoch should burn in hell. (sorry Luanne)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:41am
Originally posted by TWCFan TWCFan wrote:

I am surprised there hasn't been a Fox News rant already.

P.S. Rupert Murdoch should burn in hell. (sorry Luanne)

There was yesterday.  Wild Starchild and I think it's a good cable news station.  It's in the Tony Snow thread.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 1:43am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Fox New is IDIOT news...but they'll post about ANYTHING to get your attention - if there was anyone to use as an example for 'Yellow Journalism', FOX IS THE BEST EXAMPLE.

But I sure find some verifiably stupid news there...and some first rate, verifiable archeology news...so they are not totally useless...

Archaeology news??  Are you talkin' the same FOX news we're talkin' about, Pa?  That is, FOX Cable News i.e., FCN?

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:01am
Post removed at user's request.
TomAnderson View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:21am
While there are plenty of elements of Fox I don't care for (Sean, stop repeating the same thing over and over again, Greta, go get a real show) you have got to be kidding me that Fox is nothing but propaganda.  I know of few shows like the ones on Fox who give so much air time to folks on the "other side of the aisle".

No offense, but this country has been STEEPED in left leaning journalism for the past 30 YEARS at least.  I could see it reading TIME magazine for high school reports. The LA Times, the New York Times, oh, they're not propaganda?  How many Abu Grahib stories did NYT run?

Has the Fox news channel belittled the troops?  Has it done a Dan Rather, and when there is no dirt on the President, then MAKE THE SH!T UP?  Does Fox have POS people on the sub-level of Olbermann who simply make unwarranted, nutty hit jobs on anyone with a -R after their name?

Your singling out of Fox news as somehow "Propaganda" in this swirling morass of cr@ppy liberal media would be hilarious, if it weren't just a little bit sad.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:31am
Well said, Tom.

Furthermore, what gets me is that people on the left see none of that.  Chris Matthews of MSNBC (who I don't think is so bad as long as you know where he's coming from i.e., the left) feigns impartiality---and people fall for it, yet recently said this about Obama:

"The feeling most people get when they hear a Barack Obama speech, I mean, I get, I felt this thrill go up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often."

I have no problem with a news commentator presenting himself as liberal or as conservative.  At least I know where they're coming from.  But when they're clearly biased, yet pretend to be objective---well, all I can say is it's a tactic that works with the less discerning.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:55am
Originally posted by TomAnderson TomAnderson wrote:

Your singling out of Fox news as somehow "Propaganda" in this swirling morass of cr@ppy liberal media would be hilarious, if it weren't just a little bit sad.

What is sad is that the fairy tale of the so-called "liberal media" is still in existence.

Anything that right wingers don't like or agree with is labeled "liberal".

Don't report lies about how supposedly "great" things are going in Iraq?

Well, you're just a bunch of liberal liars.

And that whole thing about how during Bush's first 1½ terms in office the so-called "liberal media" treated him with kid gloves until they could no longer get away with it.

The truth is that the mainstream media is a CORPORATE media, neither liberal nor conservative but profit driven & content controlled by owners most of whom are conservative.

Other networks may have individual on screen personalities who lean to the left, but FOX News as a network, goes out of it's way to lean to the right.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 2:57am
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Fox news spells Osama Bin Laden with a U: "Usama Bin Laden".

Think about that.

If every major American news organization uses "Osama", and you use "Usama", what are you saying?
You're saying "We are right, and everyone else is wrong."

And that may be true. The FBI spells it "Usama".

So if Fox reports anything else contradictory to other news outlets, all the other guys must be wrong.
That's what the "Usama" says to me, whenever I see it on Fox. It comes off as arrogant to me.

'
The translation from Arabic can go either way depending on how it's done, there are some character matchup issues of O and U between Arabic and English.

Take a look at the FBI file here:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/laden.htm

There is no arrogance here, unless you want to accuse Time Magazine of this.  They were one of the few organizations that spelled Romania "Rumania", during the big Romanian news stories of 1989 when deposed Romanian president Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife were overthrown and executed.

http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Rumanian/Rumanian_vs_Romanian.html
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

What is sad is that the fairy tale of the so-called "liberal media" is still in existence.

And that whole thing about how during Bush's first 1½ terms in office the so-called "liberal media" treated him with kid gloves until they could no longer get away with it.

The truth is that the mainstream media is a CORPORATE media, neither liberal nor conservative but profit driven & content controlled by owners most of whom are conservative.

Other networks may have individual on screen personalities who lean to the left, but FOX News as a network, goes out of it's way to lean to the right.

Jimbo, please disprove anything I said about the NY Times, or other examples.  Go for it with some real examples of how NYT has ANY balance in it at all.  Give me an example of FNC making up things a la Rather.  Let's see it.  Please show me how on Fox news magazines, liberal viewpoints get no exposure, and it's just the right just gets it and that is all.  Tell me all about how right of center Juan Williams, Al Sharpton, Lanny Davis, all contributors and oft-times guests to the programs, are in their viewpoints, and how they are silenced.

Then when  you are telling me about that, please let me know the proportion of right vs. left op eds in most of the nation's newspapers.

If you can't admit that the majority of mainstream media is left leaning, you're either ignorant, blind, disinterested, or a liar....no offense of course.
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:09am
Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

I'll run the snack cart.....LOL      **starts warming up chips and cheese for nachos**

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:22am

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Jimbo, please disprove anything I said about the NY Times, or other examples.  Go for it with some real examples of how NYT has ANY balance in it at all.  Give me an example of FNC making up things a la Rather.  Let's see it.  Please show me how on Fox news magazines, liberal viewpoints get no exposure, and it's just the right just gets it and that is all.  Tell me all about how right of center Juan Williams, Al Sharpton, Lanny Davis, all contributors and oft-times guests to the programs, are in their viewpoints, and how they are silenced.

Then when  you are telling me about that, please let me know the proportion of right vs. left op eds in most of the nation's newspapers.

If you can't admit that the majority of mainstream media is left leaning, you're either ignorant, blind, disinterested, or a liar....no offense of course.

Well regarding your last sentence & your immediate resorting to name calling, that's a pretty typical right wing reponse.

You think FOX News is the only network that airs opposing views? Just because they allow commentary from the left doesn't make them "fair & balanced" as a network. And if allowing commentary from the left is proof of a lack of bias, then how come the same credit isn't given to the rest of the media who does the exact same thing with commentary from the right & has been doing so since before the FOX Network even existed?

What I was talking about was the media in general. The entire mainstream media in general that constantly gets derided as liberal just because they don't engage in the kind of blood thirsty, far right, Limbaughesque ranting that conservatives need to hear in order to validate their obnoxious views.

You bring up individuals who engage in commentary from a biased viewpoint, but how about all the conservatives who do the same thing & are published in mainstream newspapers & are seen on other network panel shows? People like George Will, Charles Krauthammer, William F. Buckley, Pat Buchanan, Bill Kristol, etc. etc. etc.

We could play the "my list is longer than your list" here for days but it still wouldn't change the fact that the term "liberal media" is & never was anything more than a rallying cry for the right so they could tell themselves they were the oppressed underdogs rather than the rabid attack dogs that they always have been & still are.

And I wouldn't recommend continuing with the nasty name calling if you want to stick around here.

This is one forum where that crap isn't tolerated.

Oh & BTW, in case you've never heard of him there is a conservative columnist named David Brooks who appears regularly on The News Hour with Jim Lehrer opposite Mark Shields & also writes a regular column for the NYT. And they also run a regular column by a guy named Bill Kristol. Maybe you've heard of him. He's on FOX News every Sunday morning nodding his head in agreement with Britt Hume.

So much for your screed about the New York Times et al.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 5:34am
First of all Jimbo, unless you're the owner of the site, to heck with you and your threats of "not being around here".  As long as we're busy with labels, which you started, how funny it is when someone has a strong opposing opinion, you want to try to move him out of forum.  How brave of you, behind your screen.  There's the tolerant left for ya!

Maybe you should get a thicker skin.  I said if you couldn't see the obvious, you're ignorant, et c.  If the shoe fits, so be it.  My goodness, you would have thought I called you an a-hole.

Interestingly, this thread started out with someone saying Bill O'Reilly should burn in hell.  Not a commercial character that we make fun of here, but a real person.  How funny you don't say a word about that.  But God forbid someone call your lack or acknowledgment of the obvious ignorant.  I am so sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities.  Do you cry when they put ketchup instead of mustard on your hot dog?

The first name calling here was by you, labeling me as a "right winger", and don't feed me the BS that the label wasn't meant as derogatory.  In fact, you labeled me that while complaining about labeling liberals!  Hilarious.

Oh and for the tiny bit of actual DATA you attempted to supply, which is laughable, I am glad you were able to find actually one conservative columnist at that paper.  Gee, bet you might be able to dig up a conservative  professor at your local university if you really tried too.
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 5:38am
As for Osama/Usama, Time also spells Ayatollah Ayatullah.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 5:41am
Originally posted by timdubya timdubya wrote:

As for Osama/Usama, Time also spells Ayatollah Ayatullah.

Hmmm, didn't catch that one yet.  I think the editors pretty much decide what direction to go, and then stick with it.  It is odd to be looking at different media and within moment see different spellings.

I am trying to think...if memory serves me, there is a city somewhere that different organizations spell differently.  Can't remember right now, it will probably come to me in the middle of doing reports or something....Unhappy
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 4:10pm

The Pew Research Center has done extensive studies on bias in the media.  They found that an inordinate number of journalists consider themselves liberal as opposed to conservative.  Furthermore, the liberal writers had trouble identifying their own writings as liberal, though they were able to point to conservative writers.  In other words, liberal writers consider liberal bias to be unbiased.  Also, liberals are more likely to call themselves moderates, based on their opinions on topical issues, as compared to the general public's opinions on those subjects.  In other words, self-described "moderate" journalists are probably liberal.  This supports what I've said here before---that liberal journalists don't even realize that they're liberal.  Or just won't admit it.  But that makes sense.  If everyone around you wears bowties, you see nothing unusual about it.

Excerpt:  About a third of national journalists (34%) and somewhat fewer local journalists (23%) describe themselves as liberals; that compares with 19% of the public in a May survey conducted by the Pew Research Center. Moreover, there is a relatively small number of conservatives at national and local news organizations. Just 7% of national news people and 12% of local journalists describe themselves as conservatives, compared with a third of all Americans.

In this regard, Internet journalists are similar ideologically to local journalists: 57% describe themselves as moderates, while 27% say they are liberals and 13% conservatives. Local TV and radio journalists include the lowest percentage of liberals of any of the journalist groups surveyed (15%). Even among local TV and radio journalists, however, just 13% describe themselves as conservatives.

Pew Research also found the media to be biased towards Barack Obama, as opposed to Hillary Clinton.  As if that wasn't obvious.

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 5:00pm

Right, E.D. Various ways it "had been characterized in the media".
Meaning, someone said it before you did, and nobody noticed.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by MrsHill MrsHill wrote:

Originally posted by yutolia yutolia wrote:

I'll run the snack cart.....LOL      **starts warming up chips and cheese for nachos**

I knew I could count on you, Hilly! LOL
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 5:26pm

Oh, it's nothing!  My pleasure!

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 7:09pm
'I'm Keith Olberman, on the not-biased MSNBC. In today's top story, President George W. Poopypants said today that all Republicans smell like poop. MSNBC has now confirmed that they do.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic