Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NYC/Boston Nor'easter..."another superstorm"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NYC/Boston Nor'easter..."another superstorm"
    Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 11:38pm
So the weather sites have been hyping this weekend's snowstorm for the NY/Boston/New England areas as a possible record-breaker. One site I saw yesterday said 80 inches of snow possible (they added a parenthetical that this was only "theoretically" possible, whatever that means...I always assumed all possibilities were theoretical until they happenLOL) and I've seen a couple sites today calling it "crushing", "possibly historic", etc. Also supposed to be high winds along the coast.

Inevitably, as of tonight, it's now being called "another superstorm!!!"

We're being told here to keep tuned to tonight's forecasts, as they'll be more certain late tonight what's going to happen. Probably just a few inches of snow, along with some sleet and ice, for us.

Hope all you guys to the north and east of here get your supplies laid in and stay warm and safe. And may none of you lose power!!! Keep us all posted.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 11:53pm
At this point, I'm simply too broken to care.  Sure, 2-3 feet at least of snow, power outages that could last for God only knows how long when it's 20-30 out, whatever.  It's just too bad I don't drink.
I have 168 characters remaining.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 12:12am
I'm SICK of this white stuff called "snow" WHERE'S spring???AngryAngryThumbs DownCensored
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 12:58am
Direct Link To This Post
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 1:01am

I wonder what stupid name the steakheads on the weather channel gave it this time.

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 1:13am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I wonder what stupid name the steakheads on the weather channel gave it this time.

Winter Storm Nemo.

And, according to the DirecTV on-screen guide, they have "Winter Storm Nemo" coverage, wall to wall, from now until 12 midnight Sunday (morning, that is).
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 3:38am
Every time i hear "Winter Storm Nemo," I hear in my head, "Just keep snowing, just keep snowing, just keep snowing snowing snowing." Confused
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 4:37am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Every time i hear "Winter Storm Nemo," I hear in my head, "Just keep snowing, just keep snowing, just keep snowing snowing snowing." Confused

"Son...Tsunamis...I met one. He was 150 years old.@
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

"Son...Tsunamis...I met one. He was 150 years old.@

LOL
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 3:23pm
Snowing like there will be no tomorrow, right now....we expect at least 24 inches. Luckily, we've no issues and the roads are sort of clear.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 3:28pm

They can write a book about the storm and call it 20,000 Flakes Over the City.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 7:29pm
Holy hopping Christ on a cracker. They've cut into EVERY show on TV.

We get it, it's snowing!

I guess Mayor Bloomberg a) wants to cover his ass from the f**k up 2 years ago (The Christmas storm when no salt trucks went out and b) he loves the sound of his own voice.

Then, of course, there's THIS:

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 7:49pm
These weather people (or as my hairdresser calls them "guesserologists") keep SCREAMING at me that this storm is going to be a big one. So far, it's just snowing/raining over here. I don't see mastodons walking down Times Square or any signs that it's Armageddon. IT'S JUST SNOW, PEOPLE!!!!

When the snow piles up like the water did in my basement during Sandy, then and only then will I start to panic.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 11:48pm
OK OK, it's going to snow.  I get it.  I was thinking the same as Mooch.  It's not the apocalypse.
The governor of Massachusetts declared a state of emergency and wants no cars on the road after 4:00pm today.  So now we are all home, but all of our favorite TV programs have been pre-empted so that weather dopes can stand outside in the banned streets to tell us that it's snowing for hours on end.  Angry
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:14am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

So now we are all home, but all of our favorite TV programs have been pre-empted so that weather dopes can stand outside in the banned streets to tell us that it's snowing for hours on end.  Angry

That's what DVDs are for! (I just HAD to say this!) LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:41am
This is why I put little faith in broadcast news. I put more faith in the words of snoop dog than Anderson cooper. Broadcast news will disappear one of these days.
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:44am
Originally posted by Theoted Theoted wrote:

This is why I put little faith in broadcast news. I put more faith in the words of snoop dog than Anderson cooper. Broadcast news will disappear one of these days.
Do you mean Broadcast non or very incomplete news?
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 1:52am
I have been a journalist for 30 years n I cannot stand the coverage given to spot news events, minor events, like the guy said, "it's only snow!"
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:18am
Why the heck do they interrupt my shows to put people outside in the snow to go on about how much it's snowing?!

BUT work was closed and I wanted that. Work is stressful. I have to spend half the day talking to angry people on the phone.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:41am
I guess no one cares about how I had to close my windows and doors by 5pm, as it started to get a tad nippy in here, huh?  Big smile

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 2:52am
We've already got a foot of snow right now...and I don't think the worst is exactly here yet.  Hope we don't lose power.....

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I guess no one cares about how I had to close my windows and doors by 5pm, as it started to get a tad nippy in here, huh?  Big smile

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:03am
I also had to put on long pants.  Big smile
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:07am
I hope you come through that harrowing experience all right, Thor.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have temperatures that extreme. Shocked
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:09am
This thing is a total bust for us. All day yesterday, the "storm teams" on local TV sounded disappointed that our area was only on the fringe of the storms, but they were certain we'd have 2 inches of snow Friday morning, followed by several hours of sleet and freezing rain, followed by up to 4-6 inches of snow Friday night into Saturday.

Instead, we got zero inches of snow Friday morning, followed by zero hours of sleet/freezing rain, followed by maybe 1/10 inch of snow later in the afternoon...and that's it. We're done.

Not that I'm complaining, and I realize many folks in the northeast are likely to be without power for several days as a result of this, so yeah, it's still plenty serious.

I just wish the "storm team" folks would admit they don't usually know what's going to happen until it happens...especially if we're in an "edge of the storm" situation.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 3:16am
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

I hope you come through that harrowing experience all right, Thor.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have temperatures that extreme. Shocked

Oh, I'll get through it.  Then I'll have to deal with our usual 7 months straight of boring warm temps and tedious blue skies and relentless low humidity.  It's hell, I tell ya.

No, really...an occasional rainshower between May and November would be nice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic