Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Go back to sleep, Angus, darlin'..."

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Go back to sleep, Angus, darlin'..."
    Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:25pm
I don't know if I actually "hate" this commercial. I think its kinda stupid, but then I have a thing for hot european women, especially with scottish accents.

However, this ad baffles me.
  1. If I'm ready to take life seriously why would I be getting hammered on scotch? To get seriously f***ed up?
  2. This woman must have a drinking problem. She's almost having an orgasm over this scotch.
  3. Whats with the face she makes towards the end? Its a "This actually tastes like sh*t." face.
  4. I find it strange that some guy in the background yells out "All hail to the drinkin' man!" when the commercial has a woman in it.
  5. If the idea is to market Dewars Scotch to us regular joes I really don't get it. I mean, I can go out and buy some Dewars now. But she seems to imply that Dewars is for "classy, upscale" folks. I'm thinking rich folks can afford better scotch than I can, so it can't be like they sen their buttlers to the store for dewars.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:37pm
I honestly can't understand wtf this bitch is droning on about in that thick, terrible Irish accent. I hate the one where she keeps talking about "serious". Seereoos behnefeyts. WHO THE f**k IS ANGUS?! Something about her lips also bother me.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I honestly can't understand wtf this bitch is droning on about in that thick, terrible Irish accent. I hate the one where she keeps talking about "serious". Seereoos behnefeyts. WHO THE f**k IS ANGUS?! Something about her lips also bother me.
Theres something about her mouth. Watch it when she talks. I think she's already phucked up. Its like they got her wasted on scotch and started filming. She even moves like shes had a few.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 1:43am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

As long as she's a 1-time thing and doesn't do for the Irish accent what Sofia Vergara did for the Mexican accent.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 4:53am
There's a second commercial with her using the same annoying accent. She also mentions Angus again, who the f**k is Angus???? Confused
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
ItsAllTME View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItsAllTME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 3:34am
This hasn't been posted on in almost a year but they're still playing the 1st 2 commercials of Dewars "all. hail to the drinking man" campaign. They either need to keep moving the storyline along or ditch these 2 ads altogether. As has been asked before, who the Eff is Angus? Why do they have her acting bi-polar? Why does it sound like she's popping bubble wrap when she breaks the seal on that bottle? Fake accents, annoying noise, invisible characters, storyline that goes nowhere...... Dewars, please end the torture. OR!! Is this your way of selling more alcohol by literally driving people to drink by annoying them??!!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:13am
Dewars is a Scottish company, or was originally, so the drunk chick is a Scottish lassie.  Angus, I believe, is a generic Scotsman, who is saying "All hail to the drinkin' man" but since she's a woman, she's pissed he isn't including women in the "all hail."  (Even though the Dewars slogan is "The Drinking Man's Scotch.")  So she wants Angus to STFU and go back to sleep after he passed out from drinking all that scotch.  Her lips are phucked up because she probably had one too many collagen injections along with her one too many shots of scotch, and she should be wearing red lipstick, not that nude crap.
maskddingo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:17am
Originally posted by d4everman d4everman wrote:

I don't know if I actually "hate" this commercial. I think its kinda stupid, but then I have a thing for hot european women, especially with scottish accents.

However, this ad baffles me.
  1. If I'm ready to take life seriously why would I be getting hammered on scotch? To get seriously f***ed up?
  2. This woman must have a drinking problem. She's almost having an orgasm over this scotch.
  3. Whats with the face she makes towards the end? Its a "This actually tastes like sh*t." face.
  4. I find it strange that some guy in the background yells out "All hail to the drinkin' man!" when the commercial has a woman in it.
  5. If the idea is to market Dewars Scotch to us regular joes I really don't get it. I mean, I can go out and buy some Dewars now. But she seems to imply that Dewars is for "classy, upscale" folks. I'm thinking rich folks can afford better scotch than I can, so it can't be like they sen their buttlers to the store for dewars.

1. If you are going to take scotch "seriously", you won't touch this stuff.
2. Some scotch is that good. This stuff, is not.
3. Yup. l I bet the actress actually just drank some in this shot.
4. Praise be to drunkards!
5. Indeed, classy upscale folks won't bother with booze that is found in the speed racks of every local dive.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:21am
She is a British actress though not Scottish or Irish; her name is Claire Forlani. It would seem that many people got quite upset about her awful accent when the first commercial appeared last year. One article I found quickly was from the London Daily Mail making fun of how awful she sounded. No one can seem to figure out who Ă„ngus is although Angus is an extremely common name in Scotland.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:31am
English...she's English. :P

I'm actually shocked. She was in the series, Camelot. Didn't recognize her at all.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:51am
But if you are English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish, aren't you British since Britain encompasses all of these peoples?

The only reason I differentiated is because some people think she is trying to speak with an Irish accent, while the Dewar's is Scottish, and when you look her up in IMDB, you see she is English. And all of those are under the larger umbrella" of British.

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:11am
British=inhabitants of the Island of Britain, so Scottish, Welsh, and English

Ireland is separate as it's a separate island, but inhabitants of the GOOD half of the island are citizens of the U.K. (As are all British citizens)

So she's English, British, and a citizen of the U.K.

Though, honestly, the only people I've ever heard actively use British are foreigners. Most in the U.K. refer to themselves according to which country they're from. So Claire is English (from London), Steven Moffat is Welsh, and David Tennent is Scottish.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

So Claire is English (from London), Steven Moffat is Welsh, and David Tennent is Scottish.
And Liam Neeson is Irish (just sayin') Tongue
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

... So Claire is English (from London), Steven Moffat is Welsh, and David Tennent is Scottish.

BS!

David Tennent is a Time Lord...
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:35am
No, he's a mental nutcase who wanted to be human.

Matt Smith is a Time Lord.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskddingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 7:10pm
Not for much longer...
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 7:23pm
The clock strikes Twelve...
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic