Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Internet Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doctors hate him? Why? No, really?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurdFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doctors hate him? Why? No, really?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 6:00am
I really wish I'd saved the ridiculous ad I saw the other night.  We're all unfortunately familiar with the detestable "[insert professionals here] hate him/her" ads, but the one I saw took the cake.  It was a picture of Isaac Asimov with the caption "Doctors hate him!"  Hundreds of thousands of stock photos they could have used, and they chose Isaac Asimov?  It was a direct copy/paste from the picture below as well.  I Googled for famous Asimov pictures just to be sure that they indeed used a famous picture of Asimov, and to rule out a lookalike of the famous author and professor (may he RIP.)  For the record, I didn't click the link to investigate the cause of these doctors' alleged hatred toward one of the greater scientific minds of the past century.  Maybe those doctors are creationists.  I don't know.

Maybe they (cough, correctly) thought that most of their potential victims were too uneducated and stupid to know the difference between a long-deceased science fiction writer and the figurehead of whatever scammy product they were peddling.  Or, and I like to think this is the case:  The poor slob tasked with making these horrible ads thought he'd have a little fun and decided to slip in the picture as a gag.  

At any rate, imagine this photo with the "Doctors hate him" text, and you'll experience one of the most surreal internet experiences I've experienced in recent memory.  Or maybe I'm making too much of this.  Either way:

--------------
It's funny 'cause it's bigger than a normal hat.
Sponsored Links

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 7:52pm
There's one that said "Language Professors Hate Him" that is an ad for the "Pimsleur method" of language learning because he's supposed to be taking away all of their lucrative business (what with their scams of being employed by universities to teach people languages). Actually, language professors don't hate him. Language professors don't give a sh*t about him.

These ads are f*cking ridiculous
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
TurdFerguson View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurdFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 7:55pm
Agreed!  The Pimsleur ones are the ads of this type that I'm used to seeing.  I was just taken aback when someone used Isaac Asimov as the "him."  Weird.
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 8:03pm
I've seen the "Language Professors Hate Him"...he looks like Mr. Bean.

The one that used to really irk me were the two girls dancing on hidden camera, then one being shocked to find she was being recorded. It was for home mortgage rates...what the hell does that have to do with people dancing?!

There's another one with a random old person scowling...I think it's about insurance.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurdFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 4:45am
Originally posted by tvpirate05 tvpirate05 wrote:

The one that used to really irk me were the two girls dancing on hidden camera, then one being shocked to find she was being recorded. It was for home mortgage rates...what the hell does that have to do with people dancing?!

Ugh.  Reminds me of the really bad ones a few years ago featuring a horribly compression-artifact-laden animated GIF of a computer-generated woman in a business suit doing some bizarre dance while the text read something like "Obama lowers refi rates" or "Earn your college degree at home."  Horrible, just horrible!

Quote There's another one with a random old person scowling...I think it's about insurance.

Well, thinking about insurance generally makes me scowl as well, but I know what you're saying.  These 1/16th rate ad firms are usually guilty of taking some random picture and captioning it, regardless of what the caption says or what the picture is of.

Here's one that pisses me off to look at, and it's freaking everywhere:

--------------
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurdFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Actually, language professors don't hate him. Language professors don't give a sh*t about him.

True stuff.  You'd think that [insert highly respected professional/academic group here]'s scorn, if real, would make someone re-evaluate their course.  I generally hold a high level of respect for those who constantly strive to achieve knowledge.  Like you said, it's not exactly a scam they're running, and making them angry at you wouldn't automatically mean that you're sticking it to "the man" or should be encouraged to keep on doing what you're doing in any way.  To the contrary, to gain that kind of disdain, you're probably doing something very vile.

I mean, if I had somehow earned major disapproval/hatred from scientists, doctors, language professors, etc. for some low-rent business I'd started up, I'd likely consider that I was involved in something bad that would cause great harm to the public's intellect or well-being, and that may make me pause and reconsider my actions.  I think most rational people would come to that conclusion, don't you?   

I mean, this whole "x hate him/her" premise is not only silly, but makes me sense that Idiocracy's society is getting closer at an accelerated rate.  Mainly because if these ads didn't work (i.e., idiots didn't constantly click on them,) they would dry up and disappear.  The advertisers would realize that people aren't stupid enough to fall for such blatant emotional manipulation and be forced to raise the bar a bit.  Unfortunately, the opposite happens because people buy into this idiotic tactic, so we're stuck with this disgusting eye-rape on all of our screens, day in and day out.

What I imagine the average ad-clicker thinks when he/she sees one of these ads:

Step 1:  Piss off your doctor.
Step 2:  ???
Step 3:  Profit!

--------------
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 2:07pm
I didn't realize people actually clicked on internet ads---this sort, or any, for that matter.  If I've ever clicked on any, it was by accident.  A few times, I've clicked on the "X" to get the ad off the screen, and found that it was a fake "X"---one that actually opened the ad.

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurdFerguson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 4:10pm
Well, someone has to be clicking on them.  Otherwise we'd be seeing a different ad medium in websites.
--------------
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I didn't realize people actually clicked on internet ads---this sort, or any, for that matter.  If I've ever clicked on any, it was by accident.  A few times, I've clicked on the "X" to get the ad off the screen, and found that it was a fake "X"---one that actually opened the ad.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete those suckers, every time.  Don't even mess with clicking on them.  Sometimes even clicking the "X" will allow them to send you a nasty bug.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:18pm
Firefox's ad blocker works like a charm .. I almost never get any popups.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic