Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VW Passat, father and son playing catch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW Passat, father and son playing catch
    Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 1:49am

As is the case with so many commercials, the relationship between the product and the "story" is contrived and tangential.  Nevertheless, this one makes me laugh.

Sponsored Links

tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 2:16am
Yes! Posted a link to this in the other VW thread, this cracked me up. Love it.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:32pm
I don't get why dad throws like that.Confused
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2013 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

That's kinda the joke.  He throws like a geek, and he thinks he's teaching his son to throw well.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 4:40pm
LOL one of VW's better commercials LOLThumbs Up
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
SEA2012 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2013 at 8:02pm
I keep waiting for the kid to get fed up and whip the ball into the passenger window...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by SEA2012 SEA2012 wrote:

I keep waiting for the kid to get fed up and whip the ball into the passenger window...
Thats right....A little common sense is good to teach the boy also.  It could be an ins. commercial too!? OOps I made myself throw up in my mouth a little bit. Sorry.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 8:53pm
ConfusedEvery time I see that commercial I just want to tell 'Dad' to quit that and go put his dress back on.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

It could be an ins. commercial too!?

Or...

Safelite repair, Safelite replace

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

It could be an ins. commercial too!?

Or...

Safelite repair, Safelite replace

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything but that awful jingle!!!!!AngryLOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

ConfusedEvery time I see that commercial I just want to tell 'Dad' to quit that and go put his dress back on.
LOL Not only does this proud owner of the VW have some serious shoulder defect. He also has some gender issues. WHY do they make the person that bought their product look so stupid?
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:03pm

This is a trend in commercials: "Hey son, let's play catch in front of my brand new car!"  "Gee Dad, what a swell idea!"  I guess it's supposed to show that the car is durable, but it's just dumb as hell.  Weak arm or not, one good bounce shatters a side window.  Come the f*ck on. 

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

That's kinda the joke.  He throws like a geek, and he thinks he's teaching his son to throw well.

Yep, the point of the commercial was summed up in the statement,

"The Volkswagen Passat,  pass down something your son will be grateful for."

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 1:14am
That 'Dad' throws a baseball like Steve Blass.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

That 'Dad' throws a baseball like Steve Blass.

Not in 1972.  He was 19-8 with a 2.49 e.r.a. 

Now, in 1973, he apparently got the yips and forgot how to throw....
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 1:56pm
"got the yips"....LOL  Love you Hoot.
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 9:51am
Go Orioles!
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Theoted Theoted wrote:

Go Orioles!
LOLYea - there ya go! Buck Showalter's very own Brian Matusz, a few years back - he really had a case of the 'yips'. I think the O's relieved him with the 'Dad from the VW commercial', who really had so much more form and control....
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
The yips were once limited to golfers who were burned out by too many missed putts. But I think the VW dad probably is   Madison Avenue suits trying to be funny. But it's not funny, just insulting. Steve Blass, the "Pirate for Life" could teach VW ad execs a thing or two!
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 10:49pm
So, the point of this commercial is.... VWs are such junk that it's OK to throw a baseball at them.  Who cares?  It's just a VW.
SEA2012 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEA2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:18am
The other thing I was wondering is why the guy can't take off his tie and dress shoes and all that. I suppose it's the "I just got home from work... in my douchey VW... and I since I don't spend enough time with my kid since I have the Cat's in the Cradle syndrome... I need to drop my briefcase and attempt to throw a ball at my kid" theory. 
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:44pm
This commercial is getting on my nerves. Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic