Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nauseating Gwen Stephani Windows phone ad...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nauseating Gwen Stephani Windows phone ad...
    Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 5:00am
Definitely over-hyped & overrated.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 2:15am
Why does Madison Ave. treat her like such a sex bomb? She has NO chest, and the lower body of a man. Must be the bleached out hair and metric tons of make-up she uses.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

I liked No Doubt in the 90's and don't hate Gwen Stefani...don't love her, don't hate her....whatever.  My beef with the commercial is the "Writing songs is SOOOOOO hard" line.  While I'm sure every profession has its challenges and I'm sure writers block can be a real bitch, this statement is kind of a slap in the face to people who wake up every morning who go to work and say, perform brain surgery, or go coal mining, or go fight in Afghanistan, etc.

I think the message of the commercial would have struck a more favorable nerve if it would have leaned towards an angle of "being away from my kids while touring is SOOOO hard but at least I can stay in touch with them on my phone" or something.

....and now the song "Spiderweb" is in my head and will probably be firmly stuck there all day. Shocked

Exactly.

The "song writing" line is what caught my attention the first time I heard it.

She comes across as such a phony as it is, then she does this crap.

Typical modern day celebrity sell_out.

But, but, buut, song writing is SOOOOO hard! 

Shut up, you spoiled b*tch.  You don't have any f*cking idea what work is. 

How is this stupid wh*re complaining about her "difficult" life supposed to make me want a Windows 8 phone?  No wonder the crappy iPhones are taking them to the cleaners.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by ambrosia ambrosia wrote:

I liked No Doubt in the 90's and don't hate Gwen Stefani...don't love her, don't hate her....whatever.  My beef with the commercial is the "Writing songs is SOOOOOO hard" line.  While I'm sure every profession has its challenges and I'm sure writers block can be a real bitch, this statement is kind of a slap in the face to people who wake up every morning who go to work and say, perform brain surgery, or go coal mining, or go fight in Afghanistan, etc.

I think the message of the commercial would have struck a more favorable nerve if it would have leaned towards an angle of "being away from my kids while touring is SOOOO hard but at least I can stay in touch with them on my phone" or something.

....and now the song "Spiderweb" is in my head and will probably be firmly stuck there all day. Shocked

Exactly.

The "song writing" line is what caught my attention the first time I heard it.

She comes across as such a phony as it is, then she does this crap.

Typical modern day celebrity sell_out.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 2:56pm

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I read that Justin Bieber's second album was a Christmas album.  His second friggin' album!  That used to be the domain of pop stars who were already well-established.  You know damned well that his "people" had him do this simply to get it while he can, as they probably figured he had no real staying power at the time.

She just needs to find herself a boytoy & go away.

Buy a villa in the south of France & just be the girl we all know she is.

As a matter of fact, there's a story in the news today about some guys who came up with a plot to kidnap, murder and castrate Bieber.

Report: Justin Bieber targeted in murder-for-hire plot

"The police affidavit states there was a $2,500 bounty for each of Bieber's testicles, the Toronto Star says."

I'd imagine that might net them a total of $0.

ambrosia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 11:07am

lahnnabell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lahnnabell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by ChrisInMI ChrisInMI wrote:

If all one does is pander to passing commercial fad for the sake of getting rich, they are sell outs & not worthy of being listened to by anyone other than their brainwashed zombie fans.

The thing I hate about what's called "pop" these days, is how there's not an ounce of sincerity in it.  It seems completely manufactured.  I read that Justin Bieber's second album was a Christmas album.  His second friggin' album!  That used to be the domain of pop stars who were already well-established.  You know damned well that his "people" had him do this simply to get it while he can, as they probably figured he had no real staying power at the time.

Hanson's second album was also a Christmas album, back in 1997.  So, actually, was 'N Sync's in 1998.  So that's not exactly new.  Bieber's career has managed to outlast Hanson's.

Regarding Gwen Stefani - I guess it's not too surprising she did this, since No Doubt's "comeback" is going nowhere. 
I, like just about everyone else I knew, owned a copy of "Tragic Kingdom" in my high-school years.  Gwen's singing was passionate and soulful then and she put feeling into every song she sang, and her lyrics, even on the more uptempo tracks like "Spiderwebs," "Just a Girl," and "Sunday Morning," were clever and insightful.  As late as 2003 and "It's My Life," she was still good.  Then came her solo career, much of which, with the exception of two songs ("Cool" and "Four in the Morning"), I haven't been able to stomach; too much hip-hop flavor, and Gwen started to sound flat and emotionless.  Plus, she learned the hard way that sampling "The Lonely Goatherd" from "The Sound of Music" does not a hit song make.  The band's new songs sound too much like Gwen's solo material for my tastes - "Settle Down" sounds like a clone of "Rich Girl" to my ears, to the point where I'm surprised she didn't enlist Eve to do a guest rap about Harajuku girls on the track.  I'm not surprised No Doubt's comeback has had such a tepid reception; "Settle Down" barely cracked Billboard's top 40 and "Looking Hot" has completely bombed.

^This.  I could tell it was gonna bomb when EVERY ad on Youtube was a No Doubt/Target promo. 

Tragic Kingdom was one of THE albums that defined my middle/high school era (1997-2002) and it was born out of Gwen's heartbreak over Tony Kanal, No Doubt's bassist.  It was also the first time Gwen was given the reins to write most of the lyrics.

I think as music changed, all artists felt an inherent need to make themselves more marketable, especially since this was the time period in which Napster originated.  The video below is a pretty hilarious take on a similar subject.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 11:09pm
 'No doubt' about it.
ChrisInMI View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisInMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 9:54pm

If all one does is pander to passing commercial fad for the sake of getting rich, they are sell outs & not worthy of being listened to by anyone other than their brainwashed zombie fans.

The thing I hate about what's called "pop" these days, is how there's not an ounce of sincerity in it.  It seems completely manufactured.  I read that Justin Bieber's second album was a Christmas album.  His second friggin' album!  That used to be the domain of pop stars who were already well-established.  You know damned well that his "people" had him do this simply to get it while he can, as they probably figured he had no real staying power at the time.

Hanson's second album was also a Christmas album, back in 1997.  So, actually, was 'N Sync's in 1998.  So that's not exactly new.  Bieber's career has managed to outlast Hanson's.

Regarding Gwen Stefani - I guess it's not too surprising she did this, since No Doubt's "comeback" is going nowhere. 
I, like just about everyone else I knew, owned a copy of "Tragic Kingdom" in my high-school years.  Gwen's singing was passionate and soulful then and she put feeling into every song she sang, and her lyrics, even on the more uptempo tracks like "Spiderwebs," "Just a Girl," and "Sunday Morning," were clever and insightful.  As late as 2003 and "It's My Life," she was still good.  Then came her solo career, much of which, with the exception of two songs ("Cool" and "Four in the Morning"), I haven't been able to stomach; too much hip-hop flavor, and Gwen started to sound flat and emotionless.  Plus, she learned the hard way that sampling "The Lonely Goatherd" from "The Sound of Music" does not a hit song make.  The band's new songs sound too much like Gwen's solo material for my tastes - "Settle Down" sounds like a clone of "Rich Girl" to my ears, to the point where I'm surprised she didn't enlist Eve to do a guest rap about Harajuku girls on the track.  I'm not surprised No Doubt's comeback has had such a tepid reception; "Settle Down" barely cracked Billboard's top 40 and "Looking Hot" has completely bombed.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 9:30pm

Nauseating like everything else she does.

Whiny twat.

"Myehhhhh..... I used to sleep on the bus...... myehhhhh....... writing songs is sooooooo hard...... myehhhh...... the creative process........"

"Songs"???? Izzat what you call that foul slop you produce????

And what "creative Process" are you talking about? Most people don't call sitting on the toilet taking a dump being "creative" like you apparently do, given the quality of your "output".

Here ya go, Gwen.... I'll "hollaback" at ya.....
SHAD-DA-FUG-UP!!!!! AngryAngryAngryAngry

You annoying, self absorbed nitwit.

Please hurry up & DISAPPEAR!!!!

Gwen Stefani = 

Yecch!!!!!

Jim!!! Don't hold back. Let it out!!  Smile 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 6:46pm
UnhappyBeing one that firmly believes "Windows 8" is an OS for retards, the spokeswoman fits the product.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 6:25pm

The only time I ever went out of my way to listen to her was when I heard her cover of It's My Life (the Talk Talk song, not the Animals' song) at the supermarket, and then looked it up when I got home.  I really like it---more so than the original, which I'd never paid much attention to.

It's sad when I start getting my music from supermarkets. 

WOW......so that's what that song was! Kept hearing that in stores and I could never pinpoint what that song was.

Thanks, for clearing up the confusion for me. Big smile
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:23pm

I read that Justin Bieber's second album was a Christmas album.  His second friggin' album!  That used to be the domain of pop stars who were already well-established.  You know damned well that his "people" had him do this simply to get it while he can, as they probably figured he had no real staying power at the time.

She just needs to find herself a boytoy & go away.

Buy a villa in the south of France & just be the girl we all know she is.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:18pm

"Badass" was around when I was a teenager.  And I remember using "bad" in 1966.

"Cool" is the grandaddy of 'em all.

It has survived & been used by every generation since it's inception.

Even survived an attempt by teenagers in the 90's/early 00's to change it's spelling to "kewl".

Little bastards.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:15pm

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Gnarly, dude!

Bitchin!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:07pm
"Badass" was around when I was a teenager.  And I remember using "bad" in 1966.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:05pm
Gnarly, dude!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by KrissyBean KrissyBean wrote:

Thor, that reasoning goes for way too many expressions now...hahaha

These shoes are sick!
This shirt is sweet!
That skirt is badass!
That lipstick is hot!
Those socks are ballin'!

See? LOL

The idioms of modern youth just sound idiotic to us older folk. LOL

Hey, to each generation their own. Wink

Far out, man!!!

Tongue

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:58pm

I guess it depends on the style of music.  If it's the sort of music that requires a lot of great musicianship, that's probably true.  But rock and roll isn't that sort of music.  I'd contend that the Ramones were more "rock and roll" than someone like, for instance, Eric Clapton ever was.

But this relates to an article I read today in the SF Chronicle re the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, and what kind of music should be included.  For instance, should rap be in there?.  Some commenter said that maybe it should just be called the Pop Music Hall of Fame.  After all, it's all "pop".

Yeah, to a degree. But I wasn't even referring to great (or highly complex) musicianship. "I know it's only rock-n-roll"... & most of the songs are constructed around simple chord patterns & basic rhythms, etc., but the words are something else.

One can very simply & with simple language & simple melody, say a lot, even if it's about something that isn't of great "social import". A good song is a good song.

C'mon, man!
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:52pm

These shoes are sick!
This shirt is sweet!
That skirt is badass!
That lipstick is hot!
Those socks are ballin'!

See? LOL

Hey, to each generation their own. Wink
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:49pm

How is she like Marilyn Monroe? Just because she has platinum blonde hair?
Yeah, that & the overall look. Marylin Monroe has become fashionable over the past several years. Especially since "Candle in the Wind".

Yes, if by "several", you mean 38.

But I do remember some of the glitter rock girls in my high school going for that look.  That was even before Candles in the Wind.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:47pm

These shoes are sick!
This shirt is sweet!
That skirt is badass!
That lipstick is hot!
Those socks are ballin'!

See? LOL

C'mon, man!
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:46pm

How is she like Marilyn Monroe? Just because she has platinum blonde hair?
Yeah, that & the overall look. Marylin Monroe has become fashionable over the past several years. Especially since "Candle in the Wind".

And she is the last person I would call a poser. She has stuck to her punk/ska roots since the band started. I will say that her solo work was a departure - but when she works with No Doubt, they've always maintained their identity and has always been on the scene - no matter what the current form of music obsession is. As for her as an individual, she's always been true to herself. If she wants to dye her hair pink and wear cornrows, she does it. If she wants to wear a zebra striped jumpsuit, she does it....and she rocks it.

OR..... you could say that they figured out what "works" for them & sells their records, so they stuck with it, not being adveturous or daring or creative enough to branch out the way Neil Young did in the 80's. Or maybe their record company puts pressure on them to produce a certain "product" so they do what they're told. UN-like Neil Young in the 80's when he got sued for $10 million by Geffen records for putting out music that wasn't "characteristic" of his past work.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm just never gonna give Stefani the benefit of the "doubt", because I've NO DOUBT in my mind that I just don't like her. Big smile Wink

And as such, I'll never like her band either. Stern Smile

Haha - ZING!
Well then, I guess we shall call a truce.... because we're not going to change each other's minds. Big smileThanks to you, I'll never forget how to spell her last name! Haha
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 4:42pm

To me, she is the epitome of what women in the music industry should aspire to be like. Heart

To me, the epitome would be Joan Jett.  Not necessarily a great musician or singer, but she knows her rock music, and really seems to love it.  Her love of rock and roll music seems deep and real, as if she'd been listening to it since the womb.

I don't mind Stefani at all, but she seems to be more about "being a star" than anything else.

I don't think there is an "epitome" of what women (or men) in the music industry "should be".

Man or woman, you should have some sort of talent & write &/or perform music that is something more than empty pop garbage, & as a person, you should display a certain amount of humility over your good fortune at being successful at something that does little, if anything, to improve the world.

I guess it depends on the style of music.  If it's the sort of music that requires a lot of great musicianship, that's probably true.  But rock and roll isn't that sort of music.  I'd contend that the Ramones were more "rock and roll" than someone like, for instance, Eric Clapton ever was.

But this relates to an article I read today in the SF Chronicle re the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, and what kind of music should be included.  For instance, should rap be in there?.  Some commenter said that maybe it should just be called the Pop Music Hall of Fame.  After all, it's all "pop".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic