Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Columbus Day!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Columbus Day!
    Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 4:44pm
Kind of a silly holiday, don't ya think?

I think it only exists 'cuz FDR wanted to gain the political support of my Ital relatives.

But if you're into it, Happy Columbus Day!  Good excuse to eat some baked ziti.

Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 5:55pm
I'm FEASTING tonight! (yeah, like I ever needed an excuse!) LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
I'm thinking of making Ital sausage with bell peppers and onions, cooked up in olive oil and garlic.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'm thinking of making Ital sausage with bell peppers and onions, cooked up in olive oil and garlic.

"Hey Henry! Hurry up will ya???" LOL

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

"Hey Henry! Hurry up will ya???" LOL

LOVE this movie! LOVE this scene. I think I'll put this on tonight while I mangia! LOL

Then I can say "OK, let's eat."
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 8:18pm
LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 10:39pm
Just another day in my area unless you are a Government, Bank or Postal Employee. Disapprove

I know some of the kids in Philadelphia get the day off however. In 2006 I was in the Philly area and when I found out Great Adventure was open I went there, along with 43,000 other people. Ouch

It took me eight hours to ride the four Roller Coasters on my "Hit List". Wacko
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 11:15pm

I think it only exists 'cuz FDR wanted to gain the political support of my Ital relatives.

And I always thought it was for celebrating Columbus discovering America.Confused Nonetheless, it's just another BS govt' paid holiday.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 11:54pm

But if you're into it, Happy Columbus Day!  Good excuse to eat some baked ziti.

Confused...and just what is wrong with Columbus, Ohio having a day for itself? Do they they even have baked ziti there?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 12:16am
I live in Ohio, work for a public school, and we don't even get the day off!  
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Maybe if you worked in Columbus
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 12:59am
Maybe, but I'd rather be in CINCY!!!!  Go Reds!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

In Oregon the kids get the day off. It may be because of October 12th 1962 we were sent home as a big storm was coming. It came! The Columbus Day storm. It devestated Western Oregon (120mph winds). Columbus Day was not a school holiday as I remember being sent home from school as the storm was approaching. I was 10y/o. Cristobal Columbus was revered by the colonialists because he was not British and had something to do with the discovery of America.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 2:53am
In Berkeley, they hate Christopher Columbus (damned white European conqueror!).  So they renamed the day "Indigenous Peoples Day".

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 3:23am

In Berkeley, they hate Christopher Columbus (damned white European conqueror!).  So they renamed the day "Indigenous Peoples Day".

ConfusedBerkeley has never been "right". I bet people from Columbus probably think so, too. In fact, I bet Christoper Columbus' bad ol'mortail worm-dropping MudMonkey self hates Berkeley, and its indigestable people, too.
Maybe it is simple jealousy because Berkeley does not have its own 'Berkeley Day' - something that just won't happen because it just wouldn't be right to take the risk of having a bunch of long-haired boneheads droppin' acid, braiding their hair, buying AK-47's, and becoming 'One-Day Honorary Members' of the Black Panthers (a kind act from their other brothers from weirder mothers, over in Oakland), hell-bent on taking out chanting Hari Krishnas sporting poor-colored bedsheets with bad patterns.
Yea, I don't think its a good idea.
No 'Berkeley Day' - even I'll go 'ThorPublican', on this one.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 4:18am
Originally posted by The Vikings The Vikings wrote:

Hei, oppdaget vi det først!

"Hey, we discovered it first!"

LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 4:55am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Originally posted by The Vikings The Vikings wrote:

Hei, oppdaget vi det først!

"Hey, we discovered it first!"

LOL
Vikings settled Columbus, Ohio?
Thanks for the 'Heads Up', MrT!
Doncha know they didn't even need to 'rape & pillage'! Nobody else was around...(Confusedprobably settled for raping each other, out of sheer boredom)
That also probably explains why there aren't too many places to go and eat around there and why this webiste exists:

...and why, with so little to do, the Black Vikings of Columbus push for 'Recycle Columbus Day' where they get ready by planning for tomorrow, what they did today - all over again...

Recycle Columbus...

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

...Maybe it is simple jealousy because Berkeley does not have its own 'Berkeley Day'

Oh, but they do, Pa!  April 20, aka "4-2-0".

This Friday will be a trippy one for our hippy campus. Popularly known as “4/20,” April 20 is the cannabis counterculture’s international holiday, and Berkeley is one of the focal points of celebration. Fire alarms will echo throughout the dormitories as some amateur freshmen “Puff the Magic Dragon.” Students for Sensible Drug Policy will hold its annual 4/20 Rally and (legally compliant) Brownie Sale on Sproul Plaza. Local street vendor Patches will have his best day of business selling “merchandise” on Telegraph Ave. And, to cap it all off, hundreds of stoners will flock to Memorial Glade donning Bob Marley shirts as the magical minute of 4:20 p.m. approaches.

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 5:36pm
Columbus Day is also the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving.  Since I am Canadian and married to an American, we celebrate both!  So if you're off for Columbus day, you might as well have a Thanksgiving-ish feast!  Smile
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Columbus Day is also the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving.  Since I am Canadian and married to an American, we celebrate both!  So if you're off for Columbus day, you might as well have a Thanksgiving-ish feast!  Smile

Since Monday was Thanksgiving in Canada is today the Canadian day of Insanity? LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic