Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parenting at its Finest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parenting at its Finest
    Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:40pm
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Lovestruck-13-year-old-who-stole-car-for-road-trip-to-meet-boyfriend-found-in-Nashville-168897226.html

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/272805/81/13-year-old-girl-steals-car-to-meet-XBOX-crush-returns-home

In retaliation of her dad's disapproval, a 13 year old steals her brother's car & her mom's debit card and tries to drive from Texas to Kentucky to meet her 'boyfriend' she met on Xbox Live.  She gets stopped in Nashville, and her dad goes to get her.   What's her punishment?  Before driving back to Texas Daddy completes the drive to Kentucky so she can meet the boyfriend!!!!  They couldn't find his house, so they returned home.  What did Mommy do?  As stated in the 2nd article, she gave her a huge tear filled hug.  I'm willing to bet she won't have to do a lick of extra chores (or any chores for that matter) to reimburse what was drawn from the debit card, nor will she lose any of her gaming privileges (which are what led to this fiasco to begin with).

It must be nice to be a kid/teen in this era of pussified American parenting.  My mom would've been trashing my video game console while my dad was driving up to come get me, I would've returned home to a waiting well deserved ass whooping from both parents, and I wouldn't have seen a penny of my allowance for the next 6 months.  Then again I wouldn't have dared to do anything like this because I knew what the consequences would've been.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:48pm
She looks like a pumpkin.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:52pm
The girl and her parents will probably be on the todaygoodmorninngamericarikkilakekatiecouricoprahetc shows, write a book, and make millions.

That is today's America, my friend.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 4:02pm
Confused...yea, I saw that one.
All I can figure is that her parents must be huge XBOX fans, too.
It is really easy to see the impact of video games on 'today's kids'-'tomorrow's idiots'; it is incident after incident tied to this 'brain candy' - and the parents?! I'd say CPS needs to snatch that giirl.

Here's another great example:
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 4:29pm
It used to be that parents could leave the kids to their toys and TV without having to worry too much.  That's no longer the case.  They now have to be up on what their kids are watching and what technology they're using, despite probably having little natural interest in such things as XBox themselves.

Some friends of mine were surprised when they actually paid more than 10 seconds' worth of attention to the cartoon their 9 y/o son had been watching for awhile.  That show was Family Guy.  When they were growing up, cartoons were Casper and, at worst, Roadrunner.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 4:38pm
My mother hated Roadrunner cartoons.  
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 4:48pm
Some of the Cartoon DVDs of shows that I enjoyed as a kid on Saturday Mornings actually have labels saying "Not intended for viewing by children".
Poiuyt Power!!!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Some of the Cartoon DVDs of shows that I enjoyed as a kid on Saturday Mornings actually have labels saying "Not intended for viewing by children".

LOL wow LOL

That's like a disclaimer before a 'skin flick' stating it's not intended for viewing by adults.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Confused...yea, I saw that one.
All I can figure is that her parents must be huge XBOX fans, too.
It is really easy to see the impact of video games on 'today's kids'-'tomorrow's idiots'; it is incident after incident tied to this 'brain candy' - and the parents?! I'd say CPS needs to snatch that giirl.

Here's another great example:

I'm sure you remember hearing about this one too:

http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/2011/02/15/16-year-old-kills-mother-over-playstation-argument/

That one truly renders me speechless.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:57pm
OK first, what the hell was she doing playing "call of duty"? My daughter is a freshman in high school and she isn't allowed to play that or ANY over 18 game. Second, the girl need therapy and some Juvenal detention time to smarten her ass up, if she did it once she will do it again. Here's the person to manage this.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:19pm
I wonder if Mom will give her a huge tear filled hug when she gets pregnant at the age of 14?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I wonder if Mom will give her a huge tear filled hug when she gets pregnant at the age of 14?

Mothers are much more accepting of that nowadays...probably because there's a good chance nowadays that they, too, were pregnant as teens.  Seems to be "the new normal".  How many TV shows do we have now that celebrate teenage pregnancy?  I think at least 4.  Now, there's even one about mothers and their daughters who are simultaneously pregnant---"My Teen is Pregnant and So Am I".

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:17pm
^ Seriously, Thor? That's a TV show? Holy hopping Christ on a cracker.

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Mothers are much more accepting of that nowadays...probably because there's a good chance nowadays that they, too, were pregnant as teens.  Seems to be "the new normal".  How many TV shows do we have now that celebrate teenage pregnancy?  I think at least 4.  Now, there's even one about mothers and their daughters who are simultaneously pregnant---"My Teen is Pregnant and So Am I".

In other words, 'Asshole parents have asshole kids.'
Are there any 'sterile' assholes out there?
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:28pm
Thanks, BrianO. For a minute there, I was thinking "Am I the only one who thinks these people (teens and parents) deserve a good ass whooping?"

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:32pm

^ Seriously, Thor? That's a TV show? Holy hopping Christ on a cracker.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/show-mom-teen-daughter-pregnant-raises-parenting-questions/story?id=16900141#.UE4vcq4Ths8

The whole article will make you shake your head in disgust, but this sentence in particular pretty much defines this failed parenthood:

Quote Ann said she has always believed that being a confidante, a girlfriend, to her daughter was more effective than being a heavy-handed parent.

Being a parent is a parent's duty forCensored sake! Best friends are bred from peers.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:59pm
^

And while they all probably warn teens about getting pregnant and mildly present some of the drawbacks, you know damned well that there's probably TLC (or whatever) websites where teen girls follow their favorite teen mothers and their inevitably never-ending boyfriend problems, and probably view them as stars.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:04pm
^
Or even worse:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1816486,00.html

School officials started looking into the matter as early as October, after an unusual number of girls began filing into the school clinic to find out if they were pregnant. By May, several students had returned multiple times to get pregnancy tests, and on hearing the results, "some girls seemed more upset when they weren't pregnant than when they were," Sullivan says. All it took was a few simple questions before nearly half the expecting students, none older than 16, confessed to making a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:13pm

^  Blurring the distinction between "sisterhood" and motherhood.

Interesting that their go-to people for support don't include the fathers, let alone actual husbands.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:40pm
We live in a society that supports 5-year old beauty queens, teenage cheerleaders that dress like the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, and "cool" fashions for 11-year old girls.

The sports programs for little boys is just as bad.

Parents have got to stop living their lives through their children!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

We live in a society that supports 5-year old beauty queens, teenage cheerleaders that dress like the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, and "cool" fashions for 11-year old girls.

Some friends' little girls (8 and 11 y/o, different families) are really into this "Monster High" stuff.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:24pm
Hold on a minute....... .  First off, you can't hang this on Xbox alone. This goes on all the time on facebook or myspace. Must of been a slow news day at their little hick town.
I mean a news crew waiting for the big arrival home? She's big enough to make center on her school football team. What better way to meet some local boys at her "own" school.

I didn't see "brother" in that welcome home bash, the one who owned the car she stole.Angry  Mom and Dad will buy her a new phone tomorrow.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:33pm
If I would have pulled a stunt like that when I was 13 I would have been grounded until I was 30. She just sounds like a spoiled little bitch who never heard the word "no" before.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:10pm

Good thing the 'boyfriend' was 12, otherwise they'd probably be inviting the news crews to the baby shower 9 months from now....  Shocked

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:35pm
Ugh.

My parents would take away my video games and hide the controller if I did this sh*t!

They took away my video games and hid the controller when I was doing poorly in school so I could focus on the project I had to do. Harsh but it surely worked!Approve
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic