Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southern Comfort - Beach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Comfort - Beach
    Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 6:00am
Clever ad, but I could do without the old guy wearing a speedo that barely fits him Dead

Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 1:39pm
When I first saw this one, I thought the drumming at the beginning was from the beginning of Steve Miller's Take the Money and Run, so I thought maybe it was a commercial for the lottery.  Even without that, this commercial could very well be for the lottery, which if I was the winner, I wouldn't care less about what everyone thought of my Speedo.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm
I've recently started seeing this one too.

Strange ad.

Why would Southern Comfort feel the need to suddenly start advertising on TV? Who do they think the're going to entice to drink that nasty crap that doesn't already? Besides, I thought liquor companies advertised mostly in upscale magazines.

Once, when I was around 15 or 16, I got so wasted on that stuff I literally couldn't see straight. The entire world was spinning around in front of me so fast I could barely stand up. Didn't puke, but wound up feeling sick as a dog before I finally passed out. Never touched a drop of it again. Just thinking about it makes me feel a little green.

AAMOF, I think it was that experience that pretty much turned me off of hard liquor for the rest of my life.

So, Thanks!, Southern Comfort. You did me a big favor!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 11:44pm
What the Censored was the point of that ad? I was waiting for the dog to piss on his leg. 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 12:10am
LOL...never have seen that ad, but I actually think I KNOW the guy in it - old, old friend of the fam - or it is his identical twin brother (he doesn't have a brother).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Annoyedalot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annoyedalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 7:13pm
Usually it's the hi-tech communication device commercials that I don't understand, but I don't understand this one at all.  I don't see how this commercial makes me or anyone else want to buy Southern Comfort.  Why is it clever? Until the very end I don't even know what they're trying to sell.
tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 12:47am
I like this one a lot. Dude's letting his freak flag fly, doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks. Love Odetta too, great song. I won't buy the stuff but the ad is great.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I've recently started seeing this one too.

Strange ad.

Why would Southern Comfort feel the need to suddenly start advertising on TV? Who do they think the're going to entice to drink that nasty crap that doesn't already? Besides, I thought liquor companies advertised mostly in upscale magazines.

Once, when I was around 15 or 16, I got so wasted on that stuff I literally couldn't see straight. The entire world was spinning around in front of me so fast I could barely stand up. Didn't puke, but wound up feeling sick as a dog before I finally passed out. Never touched a drop of it again. Just thinking about it makes me feel a little green.

AAMOF, I think it was that experience that pretty much turned me off of hard liquor for the rest of my life.

So, Thanks!, Southern Comfort. You did me a big favor!

I also had a bad Southern Comfort experience. I drank it as it was Janis Joplin's drink of choice. YUCK!!! I also had the usual bad tequila experience. The smell of it makes me want to vomit. Nowdays I will drink the occasional beer. That's about it.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
hump View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 3:00am
LOL I wasn't aware of a well fitting speedo. Most guys I see wearing speedos at the beach are not as fit as SoCo's current spokesman.
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I also had a bad Southern Comfort experience. I drank it as it was Janis Joplin's drink of choice. YUCK!!! I also had the usual bad tequila experience. The smell of it makes me want to vomit. Nowdays I will drink the occasional beer. That's about it.

I wouldn't make that the selling point she was about as rough as a mechanic's right hand.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 3:08am
At first glance this would be on my eye-rolling list but man...I really like this ad; its very smart and I love the song  Clap
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2012 at 4:10am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

What the Censored was the point of that ad? I was waiting for the dog to piss on his leg. 

It's been peeing in the bottle....   Shocked
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 3:19pm
I hate ads that purposely show nasty looking people who are proud of themselves. Ok, am I supposed to be all "good for that guy, I want to be just like him?"

I also hate the fake ass CGI flag flying.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2012 at 3:35pm
I've only seen an abridged version, which IMO feels a little 'creepier' with the steady zoom in on Mr. Speedo:

s1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 12:11pm
I personally like this commercial. The dude is a fat slob that says f**k it, im gonna relax, get a buzz, catch some rays and check out the ladies. Im assuming that the beach location is a Caribbean island where speedos are common
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by s1999 s1999 wrote:

I personally like this commercial. The dude is a fat slob that says f**k it, im gonna relax, get a buzz, catch some rays and check out the ladies. Im assuming that the beach location is a Caribbean island where speedos are common

The internet tells me it was filmed south of Barcelona in Spain.  And the guy's name is Mel Shampain.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by s1999 s1999 wrote:

I dunno about the "fat slob" part.

What I noticed about the guy, was that while he is sort of... "tumescent" around the middle, he's not really flabby or totally disgusting. For a "rotund" guy, he's actually fairly solid looking.

I'm sure they were looking for something like that. Heavy set, but not grotesque.

Dude looks kinda cool, actually. Probably drives a cool sports car, etc.

Dates lotsa middle aged women.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 2:53pm

Agreed.  He looks pretty solid.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2013 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The internet tells me it was filmed south of Barcelona in Spain.  And the guy's name is Mel Shampain.

Mel Shampain & he lives in Spain? That's insane. Hurts my brain.

He should be doing an ad for shampain instead of hard likker.

C'mon, man!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 2:14am
This ad is saying that Southern Comfort isn't a "hot"bourbon anymore but by gosh do what you want, drink what you want and don't give a flying f*ck what else anybody says  Thumbs Up
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 2:34am
I would imagine it would be good for making sweet drinks with.

I seem to recall it having a kind of sweet taste.

But then, I haven't drank any of it since I was around 15.

I remember how drunk I got, though.

C'mon, man!
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I would imagine it would be good for making sweet drinks with.

I seem to recall it having a kind of sweet taste.

But then, I haven't drank any of it since I was around 15.

I remember how drunk I got, though.

How drunk did you get, Johnny?
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 6:28pm
It must be "Comfort" season again because they've been airing it a lot here lately.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 6:37pm
Wink This guy must be the working man's Most Interesting Man in the World LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:11pm
I don't get it. What was I looking at? I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing did. What a waste of a minute and three quarters!

Also, where would he get SoCo on a beach? Last I checked, that stuff wasn't allowed on public beaches.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Wink This guy must be the working man's Most Interesting Man in the World LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

"I don't always wear speedos, but when I do I prefer to let my "flag" fly Wink"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic