Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

McDonald's 'Sculpture' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McDonald's 'Sculpture' (video)
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:33pm
Disapprove...o.k...seems like MickyD's has decided to look at another target market.
Commercials remain as annoyingly stupid as ever. That guy's 'French' sounds like Oklahoma-French, or, well...pretty bad...or is that even French? 'Pidgeon French'? Or am I totally off-base and that is something like 'Spangtalian'?

Confused...all the same, what the heck was it with the flip-flop of the top of her dress? I know it was just blowing in the breeze, but wow! It was distracting (nothing appealing about it - just distracting).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Disapprove...o.k...seems like MickyD's has decided to look at another target market.
Commercials remain as annoyingly stupid as ever. That guy's 'French' sounds like Oklahoma-French, or, well...pretty bad...or is that even French? 'Pidgeon French'? Or am I totally off-base and that is something like 'Spangtalian'?

Confused...all the same, what the heck was it with the flip-flop of the top of her dress? I know it was just blowing in the breeze, but wow! It was distracting (nothing appealing about it - just distracting).

You know what I've never understood?  Is McDonald's making fun of itself with these "you know you're smart cuz you ordered from the dollar menu" pieces of crap, or are they making fun of the people who think they are smart because they order from the dollar menu at their nasty restaurants?  Or are the ad execs smart enough to come up with this as a meta-joke that perfectly encapsulates all of the idiocy? 

Oh, and Pa I didn't even notice her dress moving until you mentioned it.  When I did notice, it looked like she was wearing a live animal.  Very unappealing to be sure.  It almost looks like it was done on purpose, and not by the wind. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

...Or are the ad execs smart enough to come up with this as a meta-joke that perfectly encapsulates all of the idiocy?... 

Oh, and Pa I didn't even notice her dress moving until you mentioned it.  When I did notice, it looked like she was wearing a live animal.... 

Interesting point, Em - you may be on to something in regard to a 'meta-joke'. It just falls flat all over the place. I'll probably remember NOT to eat breakfast at McDonald's - I'd hate to be put in the same class/same line-up as their 'smart people',

In regard to the dress - I didn't even notice the commercial until that scene, which was just a "WTF?!"-moment. It is what sent me on the immediate 'search and seizure'; I wanted to know if fishing line was involved.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:31pm
If that guy had a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon in his hand, he would be a textbook hipster. Instead, he comes off as a smarmy douchebag who thinks that other people will like him and appreciate his company because he's capable of feigning intelligence. I've stumbled across people like this in real life, and if you haven't, consider yourself lucky. These people are everywhere.

And the dress flapping in the breeze...I didn't notice it until you mentioned it either, but what the hell is up with that? It almost looks like they used some kind of fishing line to pull it aside or something, but I know they didn't put that kind of effort into this PoS commercial. So, my conclusion is that there's a live raccoon just beneath her collar, struggling to escape before it dies of exposure to douchebaggery.

Godspeed, raccoon. Godspeed.
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:30am
A hottie yuppie chick next to a nerd/hipster how original. I hate Mc Donald's commercials. And, if he think he's getting laid with her then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you on the cheap. And, French in a Mc Donald's commercial is so pretentious and phony. Party
I approve this message.
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

my conclusion is that there's a live raccoon just beneath her collar, struggling to escape before it dies of exposure to douchebaggery.

LOL
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 12:25am
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

Originally posted by Zach6848 Zach6848 wrote:

my conclusion is that there's a live raccoon just beneath her collar, struggling to escape before it dies of exposure to douchebaggery.

LOL

Better get the hell outta there quick!  Pretty sure the douchebaggery has a two mile blast radius, and you'd better be upwind of the douchebaggery fallout, Mr. Raccoon.  Otherwise, the Bags [Rads] you accumulate in your system will make you will think you are smart and savvy and thrifty from buying off the motherf*cking McD's Dollar Menu.  Nuke
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Oldiesmann View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldiesmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 8:15pm
The version that's airing here is actually a bit longer than that. After he responds with his faux-French answer, she asks him (in French) if he speaks French. He responds with "yeah" or something similar while sitting there with a smug, satisfied look on his face.

The best part of it is, his initial answer makes absolutely no sense (according to a commenter on that video). Apparently his French line means "I don't know what".
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
Cincinnati, Ohio
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Oldiesmann Oldiesmann wrote:

The version that's airing here is actually a bit longer than that. After he responds with his faux-French answer, she asks him (in French) if he speaks French. He responds with "yeah" or something similar while sitting there with a smug, satisfied look on his face.

The best part of it is, his initial answer makes absolutely no sense (according to a commenter on that video). Apparently his French line means "I don't know what".

They actually have a longer version of this crap?  Ouch, sorry for you guys out there in Cincy.  Dead

- Mark Twain

Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 2:53am
2 of McDonald's biggest advertising sins, and they're both committed in the same commercial.

The first, of course, is the "I'm smart because I ordered off the dollar menu" thing. REALLY? Then what's with all the HOODRATS and other low-class people who order off that same menu because they only know how to eat at McDonald's?

The second is using French as a "smart" language. Please, McD's, you're not that fancy.
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:03am
Oh, I hate this commercial. It makes the woman look so freaking stupid. She's obviously smart or educated enough that she's bilingual; how is she too dense to figure out that this guy has no idea what the eff she's talking about?

The "je ne sais quoi" (pardon the spelling for this, it may be wrong but I do not speak French at all) line is a phrase... it does make sense, it's used in our culture a lot, but it's really hard to explain why it makes sense and what it means. It's mostly one of those things that you just have to understand. The best explanation I could give would be that it means that it has a quality that draws you to it, but you couldn't explain what it is you like about it. However, in this instance, that woman should be rolling her eyes in all directions after he tries to answer whether he speaks French with "Yes. Oh yeah. All the time." Oh really? Do it, dumbass.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:35am
She asks him what does he like about the sculpture. He replies in French "I don't know what" I don't see why this is an inappropriate response.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:35am
Sorry for the error
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:39am
He may not be fluent in French but how many of us are. If you think you are, go to France and be humbled!
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 3:40am
Nah, she asks if he likes Demassier whatever you spell it. So he says "he has a certain I don't know what."

It makes sense, but it's probably pretty weird if you've never heard the phrase before.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic