Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advertising within a show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silllyads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advertising within a show
    Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 9:39pm
Anyone seen this in shows? I've mostly seen in it shows like Eureka.  They were advertsing some mens shaving gel I think..shows how much that works.  Warehouse 13 - they advertise the Prius and another car by Toyota. They have the car in the episode and point out the features in the car.   then when it goes to commercial you see an ad about the show and then the car. It's weird sometimes cause it seems obvious when they mention the car name, and you just know it's a commercial in the episode. It irks me a bit.
Sponsored Links

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 10:31pm
A Form of Product Placement. They're doing this because so many people are resorting to using DVRs and other devices to skip the commercials. I may work for some things such as Automobiles, but I cringe to see the days they'll do this with products dealing with Various "Bodily Functions" (You know what I'm talking about) or even Political Ads! Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 4:22am
I've been watching reruns of the show Monk on Friday nights for some time now & they are a big practitioner of that.

They even went so far as to make a particular brand of bottled water (Sierra Springs) part of the plot of several shows. Monk wouldn't drink any other brand no matter what it may have been. In one episode, he was in Mexico nearly dying (literally) of thirst because he couldn't get Sierra Springs water. Even refused Perrier. When he got home, he bought like an entire pallet load of it.

Just tonight I was watching it & in one scene (in a dentist's office) there was a strategically placed container of Lysol disinfectant wipes on the reception counter. Sure enough at the end of the show, Lysol was featured in the closing credits as being a sponsor.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 4:51am
Chuck was pretty blatant about pimping Subway.

For 'unintentional' advertising, I give the award to Gumby.  The toys in the background make me drool 'I want it!'....
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 6:41am
It only irks me when it's pretty damn obvious, because the characters start using dialogue that no one would ever use in real life, or they strategically hold the product at just the perfect angle.

One pretty bad one came from The Sopranos, when Tony gave A.J. a new Nissan Xterra SUV. Except, Tony kept raving about all the safety features the truck had...he sounded like he was announcing a prize on The Price is Right. However, I give that show a free pass because a) it was a great show, and b) it was on commercial-free HBO.

I never saw it, but I remember someone mentioning a pretty bad one on Alias. Apparently Sydney and another character were trying to get away from some bad guys, and they come across a truck they can escape in. Sydney just casually yells out "We'll take the Ford F-150!"

Movies do it so much better and much more naturally.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 2:31pm
To me, it seems as if there should be more product placement than there already is.  In a typical home---especially in a kitchen---you're bound to see all sorts of brand names on counters, in cabinets, when you open your refrigerator, etc.  I mean, is there really anything so unusual about someone drinking a Coke or eating some Lays Potato Chips? 

Granted, though---on TV, it seems more blatant and purposeful (which, of course, it is). 

tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 7:13pm
On Seinfeld, Jerry's shelves were always stocked with name-brand cereal and other products, yet you never heard him say "Oh, I think I'm hungry...lets see if I have any Pop Tarts?" or Kramer asking "Hey Jerry, do you have any Domino Sugar? It's the only brand I use when mixing Kool-Aid." The products were prominent, yet subtle...

Although, I get a kick out of shows that show characters drinking "Beer" brand beer, or "Cola" brand soda. My favorite is the altered brand names, like "Metto Yetto" or "Pepti". LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Oh, and I forgot one...this is by far the worst offender...just wait until about the 0:29 mark.

The poster formerly known as producer757
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 7:22pm
^

Oh, Lord.  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic