Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NBC's Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Pretty good Mr T. LOL  Think the Palin family will throw a tea party and take over Alaska?
Oprah down to 100lbs. from rubbing sticks together to cook dinner for her and Dr Phil, who's washing
used condoms in a creek.
Please write tabloids
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
Sponsored Links

TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:07am
Swords, crossbows, muskets, bows.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 5:51am
Guns are controlled by the militia, as well as machining would be hard as there is no electricity and hand lathe and precision machining and tooling equipment would be rare and hard to come up with in a mere 15 years after a grid shut down. Basically chaos, collapse and probably a few society crippling disasters and outbreaks and mass die offs. Diabetics would die, dialysis people etc.. So when the military took over they had all the toys

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 7:59pm
So much for all those Doomsday shelter families........  
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 1:46am

So much for all those Doomsday shelter families........  

That emoticon cracks me up!LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 1:57am
Well thanks to a heated "debate", I missed the start time of a movie I wanted to see. So I guess I'll watch the premier to see how they explain things. Hopefully it doesn't involve a string of numbers.Wacko 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:27am
"Ok..now what you gotta understand"....and I'm out. 

That opening line was the prime example of how the writers are trying to fool me into their hair brained idea. I watched about the first 4 minutes before dropping out because it showed the same insane concepts shown in the previews. ..."you gotta understand...when the power went out..people died because there was no medicine and no food..if you stayed in the cities, you died..." Have you ever opened up a history book!? And why are people dressing like Medieval surfs? They should be at least dressing like cowboys. People were dressing a lot nicer before electricity. 

Apparently the people falling for this have never been without power for 3 days because their family was facing economic hardships or natural disasters, attending a farm festival, visited a museum, or grown anything in a garden. Heck, have they even gone camping without electronic devices beyond maybe a radio? 

Originally I accused the writers of simply trying to scare the younger folk who don't know of a world without such personal, invasive tech. But I'm afraid it worse than that. I think this might be message to the kids (and tech addicted adults with amnesia) that the world will end without your latest and greatest gadgets so cherish your opportunity to buy the new IPhone. Sorry for diving into the conspiracy pool, but this show just ticks me off. Angry
eribean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eribean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Vindicated Vindicated wrote:

"you gotta understand...when the power went out..people died because there was no medicine and no food..if you stayed in the cities, you died..."
Because people would definitely not learn to leave and go find edible vegetation of any kind. They would definitely just rather die.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally. That's important to note."
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 4:11am
Originally posted by eribean eribean wrote:

"you gotta understand...when the power went out..people died because there was no medicine and no food..if you stayed in the cities, you died..."
Because people would definitely not learn to leave and go find edible vegetation of any kind. They would definitely just rather die.

Well the big question is, how did people in 1890's Chicago manage to live? Besides, Chicago is surrounded by farms, it is the midwest after all! People left the cities they say. But where did they go? Did over 300 million people just wander out and pitch tents in a farmer's field or a state park? Also they said..."without power, governments failed." Do the writers know that the very documents that guides our nations were written with quills and parchment, all without spell checker?
http://www.usconstitution.net/constfaq_q145.html

No kids, if you want a truly scarry look at a world without electricity, check out an episode of "The Adventures of Sherlock Homes, 
Not narry a bit o'electricty needed!

TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 5:10am
Just saw a episode of it. It was quite good and it didn't look as unrealistic as the previews.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 5:28am
I didn't set the VCR right and missed the first 15 mins.  Pretty sure they'll rerun it later this week.  If the show seems to steal the main plot device (something dampens out modern technology) from Dies the Fire, I'm going to skip it....
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 9:41pm

Well the big question is, how did people in 1890's Chicago manage to live? Besides, Chicago is surrounded by farms, it is the midwest after all! People left the cities they say. But where did they go? Did over 300 million people just wander out and pitch tents in a farmer's field or a state park? Also they said..."without power, governments failed."

You have to remember people in the 1800s never knew anything about electricity or batteries. They didn't have refrigerators that plugged into a wall.
Our Government fails even with electricity.LOL  I'm not taking up for the show, as I didn't watch it. It reminds me of all the hype back during Y2K. When the clocks hit 12:00 midnight on the year 1999, would all the world's computers resort back to the year 1901.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 1:59am

Well the big question is, how did people in 1890's Chicago manage to live? Besides, Chicago is surrounded by farms, it is the midwest after all! People left the cities they say. But where did they go? Did over 300 million people just wander out and pitch tents in a farmer's field or a state park? Also they said..."without power, governments failed."

You have to remember people in the 1800s never knew anything about electricity or batteries. They didn't have refrigerators that plugged into a wall.
Our Government fails even with electricity.LOL  I'm not taking up for the show, as I didn't watch it. It reminds me of all the hype back during Y2K. When the clocks hit 12:00 midnight on the year 1999, would all the world's computers resort back to the year 1901.

Well all I know is that the Beverly Hillbillies would be kings and we would all have to bow down to our Amish Overlords! - Jed Clampet: "So you say we're in global blackout? Weelllll Doggyyy!" LOL
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 2:56am
Saw the pilot. Not horrible as long as you TURN YOUR BRAIN OFF and just enjoy the action and premise.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 10:19pm
I think it is more a security blanket ripped from us scenario. That and the infrastructure of 19th century America was not plugged in and therefore was more reliant on man power and craftsmanship. Now all is reliant on a grid, and automation and we submit much of our faith to arbitrary technology. It isn't so much electricity that is dead and changed, as we as living creatures could not exist without electricity on a biological level but the harnessing and distribution of said power seems to be wonky. 
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 5:03am
Well, I'm dropping this show from my viewing schedule.  Mainly because none of the characters are particularly likeable.  And, the series' plot has been 'telegraphed' ("Whichever side finds all 12 magic lockets first, wins!"), which means the series will get dragged out like 'Lost' (but I doubt it will make it to a second season.)  I have no patience for insipidity, I guess....
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:04pm
("Whichever side finds all 12 magic lockets first, wins!")

Where'd the magic lockets magically come from?
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Guns are controlled by the militia, as well as machining would be hard as there is no electricity and hand lathe and precision machining and tooling equipment would be rare and hard to come up with in a mere 15 years after a grid shut down. Basically chaos, collapse and probably a few society crippling disasters and outbreaks and mass die offs. Diabetics would die, dialysis people etc.. So when the military took over they had all the toys

I could create a crude functional gun with hand tools and common materials. I could also create gunpowder with only 3 common ingredients. I am not an engineer or journeyman metal worker.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:08am

Well all I know is that the Beverly Hillbillies would be kings and we would all have to bow down to our Amish Overlords! - Jed Clampet: "So you say we're in global blackout? Weelllll Doggyyy!" LOL
Agree. The Beverly Hillbillies and the Amish would survive. They know how to do it.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 4:48am
Quote Guns are controlled by the militia

In real-life America, any attempt to seize the guns would just result in a big stinking pile of dead "militia"....

As far as powering machine shop equipment, wouldn't take much to hook a v-belt between the machine and, say, a water wheel.  Or just grab some exercise bikes from health clubs and rig those up.  Heck, there'd be enough smart people around to have all this stuff up and running within a month of losing all power (and by then all the people dependent on their iCrap would die from withdrawal....)
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 10:35am
If we lost rail and shipping container and semi transport, we would falter very quickly.

Add to that the lack of preservation and temp controls. People panic and those that stay cool and collected are a small minority. These would be the people in power. As well as land owners that already have food. Farms would be raided or turn in to warlord ran compounds. Pre existing militias would form and those ambivalent about hot button issues like guns would probably fall under those holding the guns. There are numerous flaws and absurd aspects in this show, but our spiral down doesn't strike me as too far fetched. Though I think we would recover quicker and carry on. We as humans don't like to stay down too long.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic