Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NBC's Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBC's Revolution
    Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 10:59pm
Ok, I haven't seen another thread dedicated to the show and I apologize if there is. 

Anyway, I would totally ignore NBC's Revolution since it seems that it is NBC's way of capitalizing on the Hunger Games mixed in with other "family drama sci-fi" shows like Terra Nova.  

However they keep pushing on us promos about a TV program with a absurd premise. Apparently if the power grid goes down, so will civilization. Humanity may be an endangered species. And dinosaurs may once again roam the lush jungles of Northern Illinois. 

They do know that Chicago was already a major metropolis before electricity came to town? 

Promos show neighborhoods and Wrigley Field overgrown in a Jungle like forest. Why? Did a virus or a Zombie Apocalypse keep people from maintaining their yards over the past 15 years? Another clip has one of them saying "do you think there are other towns like ours?" Why, has every city become so overgrown that in 15 years the thought of other neighborhoods will be considered a myth? Finally, I had come across an ad that asked us to imagine a world without various technologies and services. For me it wasn't really scary since I had lived without half of the things listed in the 80's and early 90's. 

Personally I believe that this show is pandering to the fears of a younger crowd. What no Facebook!? Western Civilization will fall! Yeah, life with out electrictity would suck, especially at first. But we would learn to go back to steam trains, gas lights, push movers, and actually talking to our friends and family! Shocked   
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 8:50pm

It looks too far fetched to me. Airliners falling out of the sky? LOLC'mon. Why are the people using bows & arrows or muskets instead of modern day weapons? 
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:17pm
Even though it's far fetched and unrealistic (falling planes? really?) I'm still interested in it.

Beats the average reality show THAT'S for sure.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:51pm
I've got a fortune in vacuum tubes in my garage.  LOL  And there are plenty of books from the 1920's on telling you how you build your own radios and transmitters from scratch.  Unless the EMP/CME is continuous, people would have a ham network up within 3 years (if not sooner.)

Quote Why are the people using bows & arrows or muskets instead of modern day weapons? 

Because the show's producers got a cheaper rate renting out the props from Daniel Boone than for more expensive modern stuff....   LOL
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 9:21pm
^^ You have any swords?Wink
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:55pm
Actually, yes....  Wink
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:02pm
If you ask me, NBC's Revolution has an interesting and more importantly a very depressing premise. I agree, I'm glad it's not a dumb-assed reality show. However, It would've made more sense if were an alien invasion or surviving a nuclear war (which has the after effects similar to what happened in the show) 15-20 years after the fact. We have enough close-to-home doomsday scenarios on the History Channel, NatGEO, and the 24-hour news networks. Not-to-mention the global recession, terrorism, and so-on and so forth. Now's not the time to create a startling "what if" that sounds familiar to what happened in the ending of the 2008 remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.  It's an original concept, but it's still too dark for me. 

Furthermore, you can't really have a global blackout unless you have a nuclear weapons in outer space, something that even the most insane of right-wingers(this side of a damn lunatic asylum) would object to!  I mean come on here.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by PitLoad413 PitLoad413 wrote:

If you ask me, NBC's Revolution has an interesting and more importantly a very depressing premise. I agree, I'm glad it's not a dumb-assed reality show. However, It would've made more sense if were an alien invasion or surviving a nuclear war (which has the after effects similar to what happened in the show) 15-20 years after the fact. We have enough close-to-home doomsday scenarios on the History Channel, NatGEO, and the 24-hour news networks. Not-to-mention the global recession, terrorism, and so-on and so forth. Now's not the time to create a startling "what if" that sounds familiar to what happened in the ending of the 2008 remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still.  It's an original concept, but it's still too dark for me. 

Furthermore, you can't really have a global blackout unless you have a nuclear weapons in outer space, something that even the most insane of right-wingers(this side of a damn lunatic asylum) would object to!  I mean come on here.

I read your posts to see exactly how and when you're going to bring right-wingers or Republicans into the subject at hand.  It's not even a matter of "if".  LOL

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:18pm
Okay Okay! I'm sorry.  Please keep in mind I'm not blaming anyone.  It just came up. 

The point I was trying to make is that no one other than a crazy luddite zealot, a schizophrenic, or an authentic wacko would do this sort of thing. 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 12:43am
The characters look well groomed.... considering.Ermm 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 3:03am
Yeah, that's another thing about these apocalyptic dramas. How can you be clean and well-groomed in a world that hasn't seen technology for almost 20 years? The only things that are dirty are their clothes and everything else. My prognosis for this series is: "We have another Lost on our hands, this time it's on NBC." 
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 4:38am

Lost meets JerichoLOL  

After The Apocalypse:
The roaming gangs of cannibals are pissed, because they ran out of BBQ sauce ten years earlier.  Florida is an uninhabited jungle after the giant mutant pythons ate everyone.  The major export of New York City is "RATions" (rats flattened with a large mallet and slow roasted over a fire until they are furry jerky.)  California, well, is largely unpopulated because they thought they could live off of smoking pot (didn't work.)  New Jersey sank into the ground after the pollution caught fire and melted a hole in the earth (the survivors hijacked garbage barges and escaped.)  Texas is raiding surrounding states for slaves and stone to build a pyramid (the base of which IS the size of Texas.)  Contact was lost with Washington and Oregon after waves of Sasquatch overran them.  Nevada and Utah are fighting each other for control of the last whorehouses on the border.   Wisconsin was taken over by cows one night.  Maine, well, nobody cares what happened to Maine....
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Lost meets JerichoLOL  

After The Apocalypse:
The roaming gangs of cannibals are pissed, because they ran out of BBQ sauce ten years earlier.  Florida is an uninhabited jungle after the giant mutant pythons ate everyone.  The major export of New York City is "RATions" (rats flattened with a large mallet and slow roasted over a fire until they are furry jerky.)  California, well, is largely unpopulated because they thought they could live off of smoking pot (didn't work.)  New Jersey sank into the ground after the pollution caught fire and melted a hole in the earth (the survivors hijacked garbage barges and escaped.)  Texas is raiding surrounding states for slaves and stone to build a pyramid (the base of which IS the size of Texas.)  Contact was lost with Washington and Oregon after waves of Sasquatch overran them.  Nevada and Utah are fighting each other for control of the last whorehouses on the border.   Wisconsin was taken over by cows one night.  Maine, well, nobody cares what happened to Maine....

LOL
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 10:39pm
Pretty good Mr T. LOL  Think the Palin family will throw a tea party and take over Alaska?
Oprah down to 100lbs. from rubbing sticks together to cook dinner for her and Dr Phil, who's washing
used condoms in a creek.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:00pm

I could turn this into a humorous series of books.

I think I'd call it "Amockalypse"....  LOL

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I could turn this into a humorous series of books.

I think I'd call it "Amockalypse"....  LOL

I still stand by my theory that the world is going to end in a great big Three Stooges style pie fight.

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 12:15am
This series looks likw it may have potential, but as usual I'm going to wait until it comes out on DVD, so in don't have to cope wityh the Commercials and other Intrusions (That's Pop-Ups/Snipes, Scrolls and Banners for those of you in Rio Linda!). Angry
Poiuyt Power!!!
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:07pm
Some are saying he is ripping off the  series of books in the "emberverse". SM Stirlings book series regarding the Change. Though it is a genre with some history  http://io9.com/emberverse/  I will check it out. It looks fun. Basically the well groomed aspects is always a funny trope but one can argue that when the warlord/feudal society does arise, old habits won't have disappeared, they will just have adapted. So.. haircut by candle light etc..

Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 4:30am
A more realistic change would be an America that reverted back to a 19th century society. At least then you coulda had a more Steampunkish adventure. 

The latest explaination that I've heard is that physics changed. Apparently this change also eliminates the use of typewriters, pushmowers, and the ballet box.   

Sorry, but I'm too old to fall for the idea that the end of Facebook and Texting equals the end of civilization. Now you kids get off my lawn! LOL
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 12:29pm
I'm kind of pissed off that they don't use guns, they'res probably a lame explanation for that but I don't care. A worldwide blackout wouldn't cause guns to be inoperable! Angry
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Vindicated Vindicated wrote:

A more realistic change would be an America that reverted back to a 19th century society. At least then you coulda had a more Steampunkish adventure. 

The latest explaination that I've heard is that physics changed. Apparently this change also eliminates the use of typewriters, pushmowers, and the ballet box.   

Sorry, but I'm too old to fall for the idea that the end of Facebook and Texting equals the end of civilization. Now you kids get off my lawn! LOL
LOL
Wouldn't the characters look more like the Hatfield's & McCoy's instead of the hair styles and makeup in this dud.Confused 
Ad, they show an 1800 style musket black powder rifle in the above trailer. Fail. It doesn't matter how they spin "physics changing", if a black powder rifle still works, any firearm will work. 
TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 10:43pm
Surprisingly their all still using old day weapons, doesn't look realistic but it still kinda interests me.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:03pm
They have guns. But the militias have them. Basically military took over in portions of the former us. A common citizen has a gun and the militia leader says "Owning a gun is a hanging
offense"

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:06pm
It's pretty good. Comcast has a sneak peek on On Demand. I enjoyed it, I am thinking some kinks will be worked out and maybe more explanations will arise. In the end, it follows their "science" consistently enough while adhering to known common science to allow suspension of disbelief.  I can kind of see where a massive shut down of the grid and transportation would cripple us. Maybe not to such vast proportions but then what fun would that be?
TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:05am
I'm looking forward to it. It interests me on why they are using weapons a Amish would use.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic