Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I found a rabbit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I found a rabbit
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:32pm
Basic bunny rabbit.  Beige-brown in color. 

I was out front.  The sun wasn't even up.  I noticed a few of the neighborhood cats unusually interested in something.  I went to check to see what it was, when I saw this little bunny rabbit come hopping out from behind a tree.  I'm guessing it belongs to someone with cats, as it kept trying to befriend the cats.  The cats were curious but leery.  They kept running from it, but coming back to check it out.  One of the cats made some face contact with it, but then darted away.  The rabbit tried to follow him.

Anyway, it took awhile, but I grabbed it and put it in a cat-carrying container.  It fought a bit, but it didn't try to bite.

I guess I'll put out some "Found rabbit" signs, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with it? 

And no, Pa, I won't make rabbit stew.  LOL

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:36pm
....if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call to
Call Alice
When she was just small

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 2:59pm
Keep it away from Elmer Fudd!

I guess have some water and lettuce available.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 3:13pm
Oh, I guess I'll have to go buy some lettuce.  And carrots.  I tried celery, but so far, he's not interested.

And I guess I'll have to let him outta the container at some point.  I'm sooo looking forward to the bunny badorties.  Worse, will be the wabbit wee wee.

I already went out taping up "found" signs to lampposts around the 'hood.

Why me?  Last week, it was a fledgling mockingbird in my yard.  Now, this.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

....if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call to
Call Alice
When she was just small

This is the 21st century.  Alice probably prefers to be texted.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Oh, I guess I'll have to go buy some lettuce.  And carrots.  I tried celery, but so far, he's not interested.

And I guess I'll have to let him outta the container at some point.  I'm sooo looking forward to the bunny badorties.  Worse, will be the wabbit wee wee.

I already went out taping up "found" signs to lampposts around the 'hood.

Why me?  Last week, it was a fledgling mockingbird in my yard.  Now, this.

They know you're a pushover.

Get ready to head down to Lowe's to purchase lumber & materials to build that new rabbit hutch you're gonna need. You can probably find plans on the internet.

That reminds me.... when I first started working for this exhibit company back in the 90's, there was a secretary or receptionist who used to bring her two bunny rabbits in to work & let them spend the day in a large, empty office cubicle type space. It was basically a three-walled office with floor to ceiling glass on one end, two divider walls & opened into a large common area opposite the glass. They'd prop stuff up across one corner to fashion a kind of barrier to keep them from hopping around all over the place.

I suppose she was in charge of cleaning up their poop.

But you should keep the bunny if nobody claims it.

Also, be careful that you're giving it to either the real owners or to people you know won't do something cruel to them.

Some "people" answer these ads just to easily obtain victims.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:00pm
I don't plan on keeping it, Jimbo.  If I don't find its owner, I'll either give it away or give it to the SPCA. 

But my signs simply said "Found.  Bunny rabbit.  Call Bill @ --- ----".  If someone calls, they're going to have to describe the rabbit, and hopefully, show me a picture of it.

In the meantime, I think I'm gonna give it some lettuce, carrots and water, and let it out in one of my upstairs bathrooms.  It's not that big a bathroom, but it's better than a cage.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:06pm
Cute, fuzzy widdle bunny wabbit....... how could anyone just give away a cute fuzzy widdle bunny wabbit?????? Cry

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:18pm
You shoulda seen him.  He really wanted to meet the neighborhood cats.  He had no fear at all.  The only fear was on the part of the cats.  And they were just reticent.  It was cute.

I had to toss Mallory in the house, though.  I don't really trust him to not kill the thing.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:26pm
Those rabbits are no pushovers.

They can hold their own in a fight pretty good, from what I've heard.

What're ya gonna name it? Big smile LOL

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:37pm

Stu, of course.

Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:44pm

But my signs simply said "Found.  Bunny rabbit.  Call Bill @ --- ----".  If someone calls, they're going to have to describe the rabbit, and hopefully, show me a picture of it. 

I know they have these new-fangled phones, but I still found this rather ridiculous/hilarious :P

Also, Invest in a tiny bag of rabbit food. Lettuce and carrots are good, but they lack a lot of nutrients rabbits need. You don't need to break the bank on something. Just a bag big enough to last until the owners claim him (or not).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 4:58pm
He'll need these too....

Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 6:17pm
Ain't gonna happen, Jimbo.  He gets the bathroom.  And if he's good, excrement-wise, a guestroom.

In the meantime, I bought him food pellets, hay, some apples, celery and carrots.

If no one claims him within a few days, he goes either to a pet store or the SPCA.  I don't want a rabbit.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 8:59pm
"Tell me about the rabbits, George!"
The artist formerly known as Madawee

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 9:04pm

Those rabbits are no pushovers.

They can hold their own in a fight pretty good, from what I've heard.

Some of them are downright deadly.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:33pm
In the meantime, I bought him food pellets, hay, some apples, celery and carrots.
You went out of your way for the hay. And a guest room?Heart  Better get rid of it now before you get anymore attached to him.
Just because he's not scared of the cats doesn't mean he belongs to someone. He could be wild. 

Oh, and watch out for those people tapping on your door saying it's their rabbit;
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 11:47pm

(The next morning...)

I woke up this morning and found that I now have NINE rabbits in the container.

LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Keep it away from Elmer Fudd!

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

You went out of your way for the hay. And a guest room?Heart  Better get rid of it now before you get anymore attached to him.
Just because he's not scared of the cats doesn't mean he belongs to someone. He could be wild. 

Oh, and watch out for those people tapping on your door saying it's their rabbit;

LOL

As a matter of fact, I worded my Craigslist ad as follows:

"Found a rabbit of the bunny variety this morning, hop-hop-hopping around my front lawn, happy as a bunny can be. If it belongs to you, please reply. You'll need to describe it to me, and hopefully, provide a picture. Don't want no Elmer Fudds trying to claim it."

My neighbs who've owned rabbits as pets, believe it's too calm to be anything other than someone's pet.  Plus I've never seen any rabbits around here.

And both the hay and pellets I got at Petsmart.  Not real out of the way.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 1:08am
Somebody may have moved away & left it.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 5:54pm

Somebody may have moved away & left it.

Or it could just be a wild rabbit, though I've never seen any around here.

My neighb across the street is friends with some guy who lives in an area with lots of bunny-type rabbits running around.  They hang with the geese.  Anyway, if no one responds to my Craig's List ad, I'm gonna see if he'll take it to his area.  The guy also happens to work for Animal Control, so it'd be an easy assignment.

Better than taking it to the SPCA, I think.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 6:06pm
I'm sure you'll do what's best for him/her/it.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 11:04pm

Basic bunny rabbit.  Beige-brown in color. 

I was out front.  The sun wasn't even up.  I noticed a few of the neighborhood cats unusually interested in something.  I went to check to see what it was, when I saw this little bunny rabbit come hopping out from behind a tree.  I'm guessing it belongs to someone with cats, as it kept trying to befriend the cats.  The cats were curious but leery.  They kept running from it, but coming back to check it out.  One of the cats made some face contact with it, but then darted away.  The rabbit tried to follow him.

Anyway, it took awhile, but I grabbed it and put it in a cat-carrying container.  It fought a bit, but it didn't try to bite.

I guess I'll put out some "Found rabbit" signs, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with it? 

And no, Pa, I won't make rabbit stew.  LOL

Big smileClap
THAT was simply SO CUTE that I can't stand myself there, Thor!
OF COURSE I DO NOT WANT YOU TO MAKE 'RABBIT STEW'! Whadda ya think I AM fer Chrissakes??!!!
I want you to turn it over to me so I can rip its lil'head off and suck its innards out - I need the fur.
New 'footies' for those cold months ahead. 
ConfusedIDEAS?! Sure!  Get more - at least THREE more. Keep 'em the same color, doncha know - 'stylin'' means everything when a'showin' off to the pack - cant be draggin' no stinkin' lilblackbunny or 'Easterbunny' skins around when I'm a'wearin' brown.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 4:41am
I found the owner!!

There's this couple that walks their dog down my street every evening.  The husband speaks real loudly.  As he walked past one of my signs, he started talking to his wife about it.  I heard him say "rabbit", so I asked him if he knew anything about a missing rabbit.  He said he saw a rabbit on a lawn on a street adjacent to mine a few days ago.

So, I went to that house, and spoke to the woman there.  She said it was hers, and she'd been looking for him.  Apparently, she didn't look very far or she'd have seen my signs.  Neither did she look very well or she'd have tried Googling it.  Anyway, she said her sons were missing him, though they didn't seem too excited to see him when I brought him over to their house.  The rabbit, on the other hand, seemed happy to be home.  They said he's great buddies with their cat.

Anyway, the bunny's name is Rover and he's now outta my house.  I'm very happy.

By the way, this is him:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 5:17am
I hope you suggested they be more careful & keep him inside from now on.

Next time he might not be so lucky to find an animal lover like you.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic