Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you could ban any 3 cos from making commercials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you could ban any 3 cos from making commercials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 3:25am
Geez, only three + one? OK here goes:

Nationwide
Progressive
GEICO

(Dis)honorable mention: Toyota
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
Sponsored Links

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:12pm
1. Budweiser ... I know your product exists. You don't have to keep showing grown men with mussed-up hair and stubble, wearing t-shirts with plaid unbuttoned shirts on top, and making asses of themselves. You are BANNED!

2. Freecreditscore.com ... Quit shoving crappy musicians in my face. You are BANNED!

3. Sonic ... I've got nothing against your restaurant, mostly because I've never been to one, so I can't judge you on that. But over the years, you've constantly crossed the line by hiring annoying actors saying annoying things and/or singing annoying songs. Because of that, guess what? You. are. BANNED!

Honorable mention: McDonald's. Only because of that stupid... freaking... "I'm Lovin' It..." song. Lose the song, Mickey D's, or you are banned... BANNED!
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Lose the song, Mickey D's, or you are banned... BANNED!

Did anyone actually call it Mickey D's before they planted it in their ads? I don't think so. I really, really hate that.

The worst ad was the one where the woman kept calling the guy pet names, he doesn't like it, but then he uses "Mickey D's" when he's thinking of how to reply. The sick irony.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by NJtoTX NJtoTX wrote:

Did anyone actually call it Mickey D's before they planted it in their ads? I don't think so. I really, really hate that.

I really hope McDonald's didn't make that up...and then people bought into it.

NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by NJtoTX NJtoTX wrote:

I really hope McDonald's didn't make that up...and then people bought into it.

"Mickey D's" was McDonald's attempt at catering to urban pop culture. They trademarked it on September 30, 1982, when hip-hop, breakdancing, and rap was making it's debut nationally. 

Edit: just found this online -

Random House Dictionary of Historic American Slang indicates that the term "Mickey D's" was in a newspaper article as long ago as 1977. The origin of the term is given as "student."
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 6:26pm
1. McDonald's...at least until they go back to using everyday people in everyday situations, like most of their 80s and 90s commercials. None of this "oatmeal blogging" or "slapping the table" garbage. Stop trying so hard to be so hip.

2. Geico...I can deal with the gecko, but make the Cavemen extinct once and for all, and lose Maxwell the pig

3. Skittles...the only thing I've taken from these commercials is that Skittles is slang term for "drugs". That's the only way their commercials can make any sense.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 11:27pm
1. Vonage
2. MagicJack
3. eTrade talking babies

HM. All of the current insurance ads. All of them, especially including Mayhem.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 11:55pm
Mcdonalds
Progressive
Geico

Dishonerable mentions: Magicjack, political ads, JG Wentworth, Freecreditscore.com only because they're a shady organization that should be stopped. oh and also AT&T.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
msubulldog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msubulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2012 at 9:12pm
Capital One featuring either Alec Baldwin or Jimmy Fallon
Any diamond commercial aired during Christmas, Valentines, or Mother's Day(like Jared)
Digornio pizza
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 12:49am
I'd like to add AT&T as a Dishonorable Mention. Any product where the actors/characters act like smarmy a-holes for 30 seconds is a company I will not give my money to.
The poster formerly known as producer757
Wankel View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wankel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 3:47pm
1.  That Goddam GEICO.

2. QuickenLoans, esp. the ones with the runt Jay Varner gushing "Yourgage!!"  The latest in a long line of punk, pee-wee hustler CEOS (usually with the first name "Scott") from places who want to sell me gold or some kind of financial product.

3. The Foundation for a Better Life "Pass it on" group.  Especially when I see the commercial of the two pencil-necked breeders who have misplaced little Bratigan at a concert, only to have their wonderful little prodigy, the product of their uninspired gamete-fusion who is undoubtedly the axle upon which the rest of the universe rotates, show up on stage with some fru-fru pianist, no doubt a new age musician.  They applaud... and weep with pride and joy.
dutchman063 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutchman063 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2012 at 6:06pm
Tax masters  (with neck beard guy)
J.G wentworth
Progressive Ins
Geico
parrotheada1a View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrotheada1a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:11am
These are from New England & the Boston market. YMMV depending on how close you are.

1. GEICO... Unavailable (not for sale) AFAIK in Massachusetts. Instant mute.
2. East/ West mortgage. No point in calling if the only loan you can qualify for is 10+% APR. STFU already.
3. Lawyers seeking clients from class action lawsuits. I do not have Mesothelioma nor have I taken Yaz. STFU, I do not need a free book.
4. I don't need another car commercial. PERIOD. I do not need to know about another Toyotathon or Nissan 'you should know' minute.

The ad I'd really love to see has the GEICO Gecko being run over and flattened by the Energizer bunny.
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 5:12am
The following companies should be exempt from making advertisements:
1. Allstate
2. Subway
3 Wal-Mart
4. Every pharmaceutical company in existence.

TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 5:24am
I would ban:

1. McDonalds commercials

2. Sprint commercials

3. Progressive of course since their commercials are uncreative, stupid and overplayed.

I have plenty of more commercials to hate.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Titus77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 7:49pm
I sure agree with all these, in particular the eTrade talking babies and ESPECIALLY the Mayhem spots. Absolutely horrible.
Where's The Beef?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Looking at my previous post I decided to re do it.

1. Obama
2. Romney
3. All other Politicians

Dishonorable Mention: ALL Medical Commercials! Angry
Yaaaaah!!  Geico, 21st, Progressive. All political robo phone calls should be a crime of capital proportion.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:12pm
Western Sky "Yes, the money is expensive."
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:47pm
Any politician, no matter who they are or what party they're affiliated with. Also, these Super PACs and 'Grassroots New World Order' or whatever. Basically, fronts for other politicians to support politicians that are in their best interest without actually coming out and lending a hand.

All of these need to be banned. Get money out of politics. Period.
PrincessOfTheAncient View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrincessOfTheAncient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:35am
AXE.

Actual product and prurient nature aside which makes these commercials unlikeable by default, aesthetically, they posess a sleazy, portentous, unsettling, almost "serial killer" movie kind of vibe. The commercials look like they've been shot by the same film crew who shot "Hostel" or the "Saw" movies.

It doesn't help that the actors always look like they're coming down from a five day drug bender. Add tacky montage of lustful women, all cut from the same cloth as Victoria's Secret models, and "sexy" sound effects, and you've gots yourself an Axe commercial!
+ Self-loathing, lonely, fat, and bitter since 2008! +
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:51am
Great thread! Here are my three but I could come up with more:

Nissan's Gay Glee Dancing commercials are nox=vomitus. Here's their latest POS hawking their fugly cars.

As others have mentioned Micky Dees.
Folks I feel rap is crap.  And this is from a lover of classic R & B Motown 1950's and 1960's music. Mc Donald's ghetto centric bad English "I'm Lovin It" campaign has outlived it's welcome. Well, I hated these commercials from day 1 and enough is enough!

Kohl's should get the death penalty for their "Black Friday" Holiday commercial.

And of course Target should be permanently excused from submitting commercials. It's sad because every once in awhile they have a really good one but the sh** are the majority.

I approve this message.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic