Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sofia Vegaro: ENOUGH!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sofia Vegaro: ENOUGH!
    Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:37pm
She is selling cable TV,  Kmart clothing, Pepsi, and Covergirl, probably more I'm forgetting. I am a straight woman, but I get it: she's GORGEOUS! She's our generation's Charo; beautiful with unintelligible speech (when she tries to speak English). 

Funny how history repeats itself.  Charo got really old really fast, and I think Sophie is going that way too. ENOUGH already!
Sponsored Links

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:48pm
Agreed.
I'm not trying to be offensive, but her accent is really irritating to me.
Not to mention, the Pepsi commercial, the way she walks in that one REALLY irritates me.
KrissyBean View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrissyBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:18pm
I totally agree. I think she is BEAUTIFUL, but just cannot stand her irritating accent. I honestly think that it's part of her shtick. Kind of like how Larry the Cable Guy sounds nothing like a podunk hick in real life. I bet she DOES have an accent, but I'm just saying that I don't think it's really that thick.

The most irritating line that she has in for either FiOS/Comcast (can't remember which one....great marketing BTW) where she is dressed in, of course, a skintight racing suit and has her pit crew around her using tablets. One of the members of her pit crew hands his tablet to her and her response is "EWWWWW. You got the scrrreen all GREEEZY!". Obnoxious. Of course, there's always the other line that drives me crazy, "Like my car, it shoots da flames!". Ugh.

I almost think she makes the Hispanic/Latino stereotypes worse by being marketed as humorous because of her totally unintelligible accent. 
Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:33pm
I'm sick of her and I didn't start out disliking her--she's just everywhere!  I think the commercial with her and Ellen Degeneres is funny because Ellen makes her stop talking because no one can understand her.  I also think she uses that accent (making it thicker) when she wants to change the effect and that irritates me, too.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 6:51pm
I can't stand this woman. She can barely speak English and I'm sick of seeing her everywhere. Someone needs to tell her to stop shopping in the teen department because her clothes look like they're about to explode off of her.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:01pm
That's close to her real accent. Even its thickness, but I know she plays it up, you can tell. She speaks fluent English. Shame she is being flooded on everyone. She is pretty cool I guess otherwise. She has survived some crazy stuff, her brother was murdered amidst a botched kidnapping off the streets of Colombia and her first husband is a drug addict and she survived thyroid cancer.
But yeah, the overexposure is a bit much.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 7:56pm
Up until I mentioned her here a few months ago, I had no idea she was anything other than some woman in a Comcast commercial.

Me gusta a ella.  Mucho.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:19pm
Yeah,  every time she's on TV I turn my head......toward the TV.

She is a beautiful woman with a great sense of humor. 

Shame on her for trying to become more rich and famous.  Wink
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:45pm
I'm a straight woman too and I think she's gorgeous, plus I like the fact that she seems to be making fun of herself in those commercials. I can't stand Ellen DeGeneres, though, so I don't care for THAT commercial.
Thor, it's "ella me gusta mucho".
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:56pm
Are you sure about that, Stacy?  In my 9th grade Spanish class, we had to recite dialogues (from our Spanish book) "en frente de la clase".  One of the dialogues had the line "Me gustan las albondigas" (meaning "I like meatballs").  Substitute "her" for "meatballs" and...

Well, whichever way is correct, I like both meatballs and Sofia Vergara.

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Quieres comer las albondigas y quieres coger a Sofia Vergara, verdad? Wink

Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:11pm
Yes, Thor, I'm sure.   Smile      "Me gustan las albondigas" is literally "Meatballs are pleasing to me", which is how the thought is expressed in Spanish. " I like her" is "She is pleasing to  me", hence "Ella me gusta". 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:20pm

So, if the object can be at the end of the sentence in the case of meatballs, why can't it be at the end of the sentence in the case of "ella"?

I'm thinking that what's wrong with my version is the "a" before ella.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

I'm a straight woman too and I think she's gorgeous, plus I like the fact that she seems to be making fun of herself in those commercials. I can't stand Ellen DeGeneres, though, so I don't care for THAT commercial.
Thor, it's "ella me gusta mucho".
 I love it when a straight women says she is attracted to another women, Well she didn't say that but
I love this topic.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by insanity213 insanity213 wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Quieres comer las albondigas y quieres coger a Sofia Vergara, verdad? Wink

Why "coger"?  "Comer" would work, too.  Wink

Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:31pm
'Coger' has a slang meaning that you won't learn in class.  Shocked

Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 9:54pm
I didn't say I was ATTRACTED to her, I said I think she's gorgeous.  If somebody is  good-looking (or  ugly, for that matter) their beauty or ugliness can be seen by both sexes. I'm sure there are straight men who think that other men are good-looking, it has nothing to do with "attraction.".Ermm
Thor, yes "ella me gusta" and "me gusta ella" are both correct". It's the "a" that's incorrect.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:39pm
I agree....I think Clooney is a great looking guy, but I sure don't want to sleep with him.
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I agree....I think Clooney is a great looking guy, but I sure don't want to sleep with him.

Or Johnny Depp.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2012 at 12:16am
Ewwwwww--me either! I like Johnny Dep and think he's an extremely talented actor but by many accounts, he is dirty, as in like doesn't take many baths, dirty fingernails, stringy, oily hair, food in his mustache.  Ewwwww.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Bena Bena wrote:

She is selling cable TV,  Kmart clothing, Pepsi, and Covergirl, probably more I'm forgetting. I am a straight woman, but I get it: she's GORGEOUS! She's our generation's Charo; beautiful with unintelligible speech (when she tries to speak English). 

Funny how history repeats itself.  Charo got really old really fast, and I think Sophie is going that way too. ENOUGH already!
LOL OMG you're right. Her schtick is exactly like Charo! The only things missing are the guitar and the "coochie-coochie!"
Annoyedalot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annoyedalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:39pm
Obama said we should all learn to speak Spanish.  What's wrong with you people?  Your Community Organizer has spoken.  LISTEN UP.
Original Cyn View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Cyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:18am
I agree that television is over-saturated with Sofia Vergara -- normally I would find that annoying, but I don't find her to be obnoxious.  I think it's partly due to the fact that she's absolutely stunning yet has a self-deprecating sense of humor and doesn't take herself too seriously, and that combination earns points in my book.

The obnoxious, takes-herself-too-damned-seriously, GTFoff my TV immediately gal in the House of Cyn is Eva Longoria.  I'm not a violent person, but she's one that I wouldn't mind bopping upside the head with a frying pan when her smug mug pops up on the screen.  For a while she was the chick that seemed to be in every other commercial, but that phase seems to have thankfully ended.

Given the choice, I'd much rather have Ms. Vergara hawking Cover Girl cosmetics (or Pepsi, or whichever product she's loaning her face/personality to) than have to endure any more of the CG ads that feature Drew Barrymore, her lopsided mouth, her lisp, and wretched acting skills.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history." ~~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:10am
In some of the  magazine ads I've seen, Drew looks absolutely,beautiful in those CG ads. I don't think she's unattractive, but isn't it amazing what make-up, lighting and camera angles can do?!Wink
EugenesAxe View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EugenesAxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:31pm
I hope I'm not the only woman in here who likes her...I also find Charo pretty fun sometimes. (Guilty Pleasures)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic