Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ME tv network

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooMuchTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ME tv network
    Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:06pm
I love ME-TV - a great lineup of old series.  However, their advertising clients need to be revised.  Apparently, they think their only target audience is the 80+ crowd!  

I get so tired hearing about planning funerals, life insurance, Hover Round scooters, diabetic supplies, urinary catheters, and incontinence supplies I could scream. 

I'd change channels, but during the weekdays, I'm bombarded by advertising for attorneys, chiropractors, cell phones for food stamp recipients and questionable tax services.  
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:12pm
We really should have a thread on what kinds of commercials appear on what sorts of channels.  I notice the old folks' commercials on certain channels, too.  I also notice the childish commercials that appear on the juvenile channels like G4.  In fact, G4 seems to have more commercial time during its programming, much of it these long drawn-out promos for their other shows---featuring hot babes presenting the promo---but commercials, nevertheless.  It makes me wonder if the advertisers see youth programming channels as the perfect venue to attune young people to more commercial minutes during a given show. 
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:29pm
I COULD get Me-TV if I wanted to, but most of the Programming they show on this channel I already have on DVD, so there is not much sense for me to watch them on Commercial TV. For those of you who get this Channel I'm glad you can enjoy it, but AFAIC nothing they could do now would make me switch over, being I have accumulated over 30,000 Hours of Entertainment during the last five years. That's a lot of Programs and Movies to chew on! LOL

PS I get a kick out of seeing everyone comment about the Programs and Commercials that spew forth on Commercial and Pay TV. I do not miss any of it at all. I'm not saying I've achieved perfection, but I found a System, and IMO it works! Thumbs Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:12am
Originally posted by TooMuchTV TooMuchTV wrote:

I love ME-TV - a great lineup of old series.  However, their advertising clients need to be revised.  Apparently, they think their only target audience is the 80+ crowd!  

I get so tired hearing about planning funerals, life insurance, Hover Round scooters, diabetic supplies, urinary catheters, and incontinence supplies I could scream. 

I'd change channels, but during the weekdays, I'm bombarded by advertising for attorneys, chiropractors, cell phones for food stamp recipients and questionable tax services.  

Are you on Facebook?  Post something on their page!
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:56am
Antenna TV (another great channel with old-school shows) is the same exact way. Love the channel, but the commercials are laughably bad.

Not only that, but some of them are shot in 4:3 aspect ratio (like what you'd see on a tube TV), but have the sidebars ("wings"), which aren't necessary on a tube TV. So when they air on a 16:9 TV, you have two sidebars going. You gotta see it to understand.
The poster formerly known as producer757
TooMuchTV View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooMuchTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 8:21pm
I COULD get Me-TV if I wanted to, but most of the Programming they show on this channel I already have on DVD, so there is not much sense for me to watch them on Commercial TV. For those of you who get this Channel I'm glad you can enjoy it, but AFAIC nothing they could do now would make me switch over, being I have accumulated over 30,000 Hours of Entertainment during the last five years. That's a lot of Programs and Movies to chew on! LOL

PS I get a kick out of seeing everyone comment about the Programs and Commercials that spew forth on Commercial and Pay TV. I do not miss any of it at all. I'm not saying I've achieved perfection, but I found a System, and IMO it works! Thumbs Up

Good for you!  It's not everyone who finds it easy to cast off the bonds of commercial tv.  You have a simply impressive collection on DVD.  I've got nearly that much myself (I spent two years in bed after a spinal injury).  Right now, I'm on an antenna, and even with the DVD collection, I still miss certain cable channels only because I've never had to do without cable (my parents owned several small rural cable systems when I was growing up). 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:40pm
Seems MeTV has but three sponsors:  AARP, Colonial Penn and reverse mortgages.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:14pm
I'm watching MeTV right now. The Rockford Files. I'm not a fan of Antenna TV, though. I preferred RTN (Retro Television Network) but they went bye-bye around here.

I can put up with old fart ads just to not have to deal with the garbage programming on the regular channels.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:18pm
I've never watched that channel, but I have this weird thing that when I'm watching old shows I want to see old commercials. Everybody laughs at me for that.
This is your brain on commercials.
WDAN20 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDAN20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 2:27am
I agree! They should do the TV Land retromercials! 
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by WDAN20 WDAN20 wrote:

I agree! They should do the TV Land retromercials! 

MeTV DOES occasionally show a retromercial or two, but not the TV Land ones.  
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It makes me wonder if the advertisers see youth programming channels as the perfect venue to attune young people to more commercial minutes during a given show. 

I think we're all being attuned to more commercial minutes.

A few weeks ago I was fooling around with the stopwatch function on my new phone, while watching a Law and Order rerun on TNT. I decided to time a few commercial breaks, using the lap times to check the length of the commercials.

I knew there were a lot of ads in each commercial break, and I suspected each break was around three minutes. I was mildly surprised to find that most of the breaks I timed were from four and a half minutes to five and half minutes long. The shortest was three minutes. Each break had about 10 to 12 ads, including several 15 second spots. Incredible.

Hundreds of threads killed.
CNick View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 4:35pm
I love MeTV. The only problem is that they advertise "The Odd Couple" and the "Twilight Zone" at 10 & 11pm respectively, but paid programming is put on instead. Does anyone know if this is only in certain areas?
DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I'm watching MeTV right now. The Rockford Files. I'm not a fan of Antenna TV, though. I preferred RTN (Retro Television Network) but they went bye-bye around here.

I'm the other way around. We get Me-TV and RTV, and I'd rather see Antenna TV here but we don't have it. I prefer the old sitcoms on Antenna to the westerns and dramas Me-TV airs. 

As far as RTV, have they gone downhill since losing the rights to the NBC-Universal library. Shows like "Cold Case Files" and "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" I wouldn't even consider "Retro."
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by CNick CNick wrote:

I love MeTV. The only problem is that they advertise "The Odd Couple" and the "Twilight Zone" at 10 & 11pm respectively, but paid programming is put on instead. Does anyone know if this is only in certain areas?

Confused . I never really liked Odd Couple so I've already changed the channel by 10:00pm.
WDAN20 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDAN20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:22pm
Yeah I also did not like the way RTV used extremely heavy MPEG compression to transfer the video. I miss the days when they ran old TV shows from live high resolution 16mm film. No digital rubbish :) just pure film. 
TooMuchTV View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooMuchTV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:28pm
The programming by Me-TV is locally controlled (for example, I get Me on 2-2, which is owned by WSB, an NBC affiliate, which is 2.1) by a local channel.  In my area, all of Me's programming on Thursday nights is devoted to high school sports produced by WSB.  They do the same on most Saturday afternoons as well.  I've written to WSB to protest, to no avail.
----------
JaynieBeth
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 5:08pm
I, too like MeTV...and yes, the commercials are repetitive!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Obie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 6:33pm
In San Francisco, when ME-TV first aired, it was on an independent channel that always (prior to ME) ran 'Frasier' and 'Everybody Loves Raymond' at 10 PM(and also ran local programming in the mornings). So, the station continued running those shows, instead of ME's scheduled programming...but since ME was running MASH in that slot, and it was the same episode that had aired 3 hours earlier, it was no big deal to pre-empt it the second time. Besides, the station had been rerunning 'Ray' and 'Frais' for yeras, and had a devoted following.
Then, last summer, the station got sold and switched to a Spanish-language format.
Now, ME is back in the Bay Area, on another station's digital subchannel, and they carry the full ME lineup all day.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 6:48pm
We don't get ME TV here...at least I don't. My cable service sucks in the way that I won't see this channel for another couple of years, at best. But I like Antenna TV, which we got last year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic