Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prego spaghetti sauce commercial - "Bad Decisions"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prego spaghetti sauce commercial - "Bad Decisions"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prego spaghetti sauce commercial - "Bad Decisions"
    Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 12:28am
I keep seeing this ad, but cannot find it posted on YouTube. It features a housewife taste-testing spaghetti sauces from Prego and Ragu, and choosing Prego. After the taste test, she wonders, "What other bad decisions have I made," and it flashes back to the '80s and her taste in fashion back then.

She had to have liked Ragu for all those years to continue to buy it, so why would that be considered a "bad decision?" It's probably that she never cared for those Prego commercials in the past!
Sponsored Links

Mindybolt View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mindybolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 12:39am
And there the fridge logic hits. Either her taste morphed, or she didn't care for her precious Prego after all.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by DesertX DesertX wrote:

I keep seeing this ad, but cannot find it posted on YouTube. It features a housewife taste-testing spaghetti sauces from Prego and Ragu, and choosing Prego. After the taste test, she wonders, "What other bad decisions have I made," and it flashes back to the '80s and her taste in fashion back then.

"Soon after meeting my boyfriend, I stopped using the Ragu because I got Prego...."

LOL
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 11:05pm
It's spaghetti sauce, lady - and you probably didn't save anything more than a buck. Nothing to go into a deep soul-searching process over.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:28pm
I get tired of "Look at how stupid we dressed back then".  I've got news for ya.  You're going to be saying the same thing 10 or 20 years from now in regards how you looked in 2012.

mred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 9:37pm
And now there's a sequel. Ugh.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 3:36am
Originally posted by mred mred wrote:

And now there's a sequel. Ugh.

At least she didn't pick this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

At least she didn't pick this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala
ConfusedI onlu hadn't commented on the 'sequel' because the very same thought crossed my mind, Y...and I just didn't know how or what to say.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 1:52pm
Shocked

Here he is on The Dating Game:

Can't say, though, that the eligible bachelorette doesn't need to be permanently silenced herself.

Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 4:43pm
The thing I HATE about the original one with the 80's flashback is that is obviously some deranged misconception of how people dressed in the 80's by some some ad person who was probably a mere babe back then, if even that.  To us older viewers who actually lived through the 80's, we look at it and think "What is this stupid B.S.?".
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Pervis Pervis wrote:

The thing I HATE about the original one with the 80's flashback is that is obviously some deranged misconception of how people dressed in the 80's by some some ad person who was probably a mere babe back then, if even that.  To us older viewers who actually lived through the 80's, we look at it and think "What is this stupid B.S.?".

That's been one of my pet peeves for awhile.  Seems whenever they want to portray an earlier era, they take the most cartoonish version of that era and run with it.  No, in the 1970s, we did not all have Afro perms, wear leisure suits and roller skate to the big disco hits.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 5:01pm

The original was actually kind of funny - I always saw it as the "Cyndi Lauper-Wannabe"-flashback, which I would bet would scare the hell out of any now-conservative woman
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

That's been one of my pet peeves for awhile.  Seems whenever they want to portray an earlier era, they take the most cartoonish version of that era and run with it.  No, in the 1970s, we did not all have Afro perms, wear leisure suits and roller skate to the big disco hits.

I hate that too. Sometimes I get the impression that the people making fun of these decades have older relatives that they hate from those eras that they are trying to get back at.

"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 11:13pm

Cry*I* had a REALLY great beige 'leisure suit'...it got stolen.
Didn't have a personal Afro, though (wife NEVER did, either)
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 1:52am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

The original was actually kind of funny - I always saw it as the "Cyndi Lauper-Wannabe"-flashback, which I would bet would scare the hell out of any now-conservative woman
Sorry if I offend anyone. I have always liked Cyndi Lauper"s Time After Time. Is she possibly Lady Ga Ga's mom?
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 2:05am

In the mid 70s In California I had shoulder length fairly straight hair and mostly wore jeans, cords. or shorts and T-shirts with tennis shoes.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 2:14am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Sorry if I offend anyone. I have always liked Cyndi Lauper"s Time After Time. Is she possibly Lady Ga Ga's mom?
WinkNot at all, Sarge...I was just commenting on the outfit she was shown wearing at the disco - and then her 'coming back to life' reaction; it was hilarious. I just remember Cyndi Lauper dressing that 'showy', no matter what she was singing (always been a fan of her). Heck, once upon a time, I was a little bit of a 'rebel', I guess....maybe I still am, I dunno. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 3:15am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I thought Nina Hagen from the first time I saw Lady Gaga.

Pervis View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pervis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 3:06pm
The point of my post is that the vast majority of people in the 80's didn't dress like Cyndi Lauper.  Just like how these days, nobody dresses like Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj.  There will probably be some outlandish depiction of today's fashions in the future but a real honest stereotype would be pretty boring.  Tennis shoes, skinny jeans, a T-shirt with some supposedly witty saying/logo, and a hoodie.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 3:22pm

The point of my post is that the vast majority of people in the 80's didn't dress like Cyndi Lauper.  Just like how these days, nobody dresses like Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj.  There will probably be some outlandish depiction of today's fashions in the future but a real honest stereotype would be pretty boring.  Tennis shoes, skinny jeans, a T-shirt with some supposedly witty saying/logo, and a hoodie.

There's very little I wore in the 60s, 70s or 80s that I wouldn't wear today.  Of course we're limited by what's available, but if my memory serves me correctly, jeans and t-shirts and sneakers and even hoodies (formerly known as hooded sweatshirts) have been available forever.  I probably wouldn't wear bell-bottoms, but I think I have a relatively new pair of jeans that are "boot-cut", which is basically a toned-down version of bell-bottoms.  And I wouldn't wear platform shoes as I did in the 70s.  And that's about it.

But I think it goes beyond clothing.  I think many people---primarily young people---have outlandish and caricaturish ideas about what earlier times were like, in general.

Annoyedalot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annoyedalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:38pm
In the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I wore oxford cloth shirts with button down collars.  The ties varied in width slightly from decade to decade as did the width of lapels on sport jackets.  I think the clothing they portray as identifying an era was usually worn by TV performers, not by your average person on the street.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Annoyedalot Annoyedalot wrote:

In the 70s, 80s, and 90s, I wore oxford cloth shirts with button down collars.  The ties varied in width slightly from decade to decade as did the width of lapels on sport jackets.  I think the clothing they portray as identifying an era was usually worn by TV performers, not by your average person on the street.

My neighbor and his son stopped by awhile back while I was watching Soul Train.  The Jackson 5 were on, wearing their outlandish 70s stage clothes.  My neighbor's son (13 y/o) asked if everyone really dressed like that back then.  His father and I told him "Yep".

eat at joe's View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eat at joe's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 11:30pm
what i didn't like about the commercial is how forced it was.  the woman looked exactly the same in the flashback, except for her outlandish clothes i never remember anyone wearing in the 80's.  it was like they tried to cram a :60 into a :30.   i mean, spaghetti sauce always reminds me of my past poor decisions- also makes me look around with nervous laughter after i think of how wacky i used to be. 
Lelly View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 4:57am
The only thing I like about this commercial is that it's short- usually 10-15 seconds depending on what channel you're on. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
"OBJECTION!"
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Lelly Lelly wrote:

The only thing I like about this commercial is that it's short- usually 10-15 seconds depending on what channel you're on. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.
I used to think it was a good thing when a 30 second horrible commercial was cut to 15 seconds or less until they would start playing it 2 or more times per commercial break! Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic