Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ionic Breeze makes your house smell like cat pee
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ionic Breeze makes your house smell like cat pee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ionic Breeze makes your house smell like cat pee
    Posted: 18 Dec 2011 at 5:31pm
Exactly what the subject line reads...the Ionic Breeze air purifier (or in this case, "air urinator"Ouch) makes your house smell like cat pee even if you do not and have never had a cat in there.

I know this because I purchased one from The Sharper Image store in downtown Seattle when I got my FEMA settlement shortly after the great Nisqually (Seattle-area) earthquake of 2001 (magnitude 7.0; later downgraded to a 6.8) when my Honeywell HEPA air cleaner was destroyed by falling debris.

At that time, I did not have a cat, neither had the previous tenants of the apartment I had at the time. Shortly after turning it on, I noted a rather urinous odour in the air -- I know what ionised air is *SUPPOSED* to smell like; this odour was not even close to that...it honest to God smelled like cat pee. Cry

So I moved it to another room, and the "cat piddle" odour was even stronger!!! Dead

I took extraordinary measures to clean the collection plates, and the "cat piss" odour emitted by this asinine thing did not diminish in the least. Angry

Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 7:24pm
Oh Angry, that's NASTY.

I had an older dying cat who peed on the floor and the pee ran into the grout. I tried everything to get rid of the stench - especially on humid days the place reeked of cat pee. I finally googled how to get rid of the stench - Shout! yes, the laundry pre-treater. It breaks down the enzymes.

Maybe you can squirt your Ionic Breeze with that?

Come to think of it, my humidifier has a funky, foul odor. I'll have to treat the water.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:00pm
Internet has people complaining about the ozone smell that the product emits.  That's not the smell of cat pee, though. 

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Internet has people complaining about the ozone smell that the product emits.  That's not the smell of cat pee, though.  

I know what ozone smells like (I've toyed with UVC products that generate "vacuum UV" -- responsible for the creation of ozone); the Ionic Breeze did not produce that particular odour; it was definitely the smell of cat piss. DeadAngryDead

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by AngryMcPisseron AngryMcPisseron wrote:

I know what ozone smells like (I've toyed with UVC products that generate "vacuum UV" -- responsible for the creation of ozone); the Ionic Breeze did not produce that particular odour; it was definitely the smell of cat piss. DeadAngryDead

Maybe the factory had a cat problem? Or the warehouse where they are stored? Those things cost a pretty good buck - I would call them and raise hell. Who the hell wants to whiff cat piss?

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:44pm
Maybe Ionic is what cat piss smells like.  I haven't seen those commercials in ages btw.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:28pm
You probably got a return that some joker brought back after pouring cat pee into it.  Who knows how many other people he did that to...?  LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:38pm
I'm thinkin' we need a CIH-sponsored test that we can submit to Consumer Reports - we should try a few of these. One with cat pee, on with wolfy pee, one with 'George Michael was in the Public Bathroom making friends with your son' pee, and, well... NO pee.
WE have a few Ionic Breezes.
No pee.
They work just fine.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:40am
Maybe the smell of cat pee is just what purified air smells like.

Maybe all this time cats have been purifying our air with their pee & we just didn't realize it.

Thanks, Kitties!!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I finally googled how to get rid of the stench - Shout! yes, the laundry pre-treater. It breaks down the enzymes.

There are some rreally good enzyme based pet odor eliminator sprays too.

Walmart sells a good one called "OUT!" that leaves a really nice "baby powder" scent.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:51am

Maybe the factory had a cat problem? Or the warehouse where they are stored? Those things cost a pretty good buck - I would call them and raise hell. Who the hell wants to whiff cat piss?

I was going to suggest the same thing, but after rereading his original post, I see that the problem goes back 10 years.  I'm not sure the warranty is still good.  LOL

Angry, why are you still using the thing? 

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 5:16am
Maybe he's addicted to it....  LOL

Walmart sells a good one called "OUT!" that leaves a really nice "baby powder" scent.

Better than a "baby pee" scent....  LOL
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:38pm

I was going to suggest the same thing, but after rereading his original post, I see that the problem goes back 10 years.  I'm not sure the warranty is still good.  LOL

Angry, why are you still using the thing? 

Thor, I got rid of the stinky asinine thing back in 2002 (and the cat piddle odour miraculously vanished almost immediately thereafter and never returned!!!LOL) so I haven't been using it (or any other Ionic Breeze model for that matter) for many years now.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Maybe the smell of cat pee is just what purified air smells like.

Maybe all this time cats have been purifying our air with their pee & we just didn't realize it.

Thanks, Kitties!!!!!

AngryYou touched the 'soft spot' on my cranium there, ol'Mule! ~ "Hello Kitty" (friggin' sumbiatchlilraggamuffinPOS!).
Homey don't do 'Hello Kitty'.
Neither does Charlize Theron...

Charlize Theron: Ditch The Hello Kitty, Ladies

http://www.10news.com/entertainment/30016924/detail.html

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 10:06pm

So hoarders can buy this and blame the cat pee smell in their house on it and not the catsTongue

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 12:16am
How does one smell the difference between cat, dog or human pee? Pee is pee....
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 3:33am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Sounds like an experiment is in order.

Let Emma pee anywhere she desires.

Then you pee in another room (against the wall).

Let everything ferment for a few days.

Please advise of your findings.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 3:49am
Maybe they should rename the product the Ionic Piss. LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 2:07pm

Tiz, cat piss has a unique stench like nothing you've ever experienced. Imagine eating about 17 bushels of asparagus and taking a long pee. That's NOTHING compared to cat pee.

There are some scrubby bushes (I'm no gardeneer so I don't have a  clue what the name is) that smells a little like cat pee. I simply call them the "cat piss bushes".

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 3:13pm

There are some scrubby bushes (I'm no gardeneer so I don't have a  clue what the name is) that smells a little like cat pee. I simply call them the "cat piss bushes".

Yeah, it's a kind of an evergreen Christmas tree-like shrub called a Boxwood.  Some friends of mine have these shrubs growing along their walkway.  It gets bad in the summer.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 3:46pm
If anyone wants to know why cat crap smells so foul, read on.

Cats have these anal sac glands that secrete a really nasty coating on the cat's crap as it's being released.  It's an evolutionary thing---used to mark territory.  As such, there's little need for this gland in domesticated cats.

I found this out when my Sneakers developed an infection and an abscess in his.  The secretion had built up, and Sneakers was going into my shower stall and releasing it.  Oh my God!  He'd release a small puddle of the stuff and, within seconds, the stink permeated the entire upstairs!

I was pretty impressed, though, that he'd make a special trip into my bathroom---right into the shower stall---to do this.  I dunno how he decided this, but it made a bad thing more tolerable.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm
I have the shrubby bushes that smell like cat pee when they get wet.  They were already there when I bought house & I would tear them out but cardinals and other birds nest and roost in them.  They are very dense.  Guess you see who runs my house, animals!

And yes, there is a noticeable difference between both cat pee/dog pee and cat poop/dog poop.  My cats outdo, (doo doo) my dogs on both.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:04pm
The grandparents had those boxwoods all around their place. And they did have that "certain" smell. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 11:09pm
For the life of me, I don't know why people would buy those.  Maybe they act as a deterrant for rodents or wild animals or something.

ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 9:17pm

The grandparents had those boxwoods all around their place. And they did have that "certain" smell. 

Wow. I've loved the smell of boxwood ever since we honeymooned in Colonial Williamsburg in the late 1970s. They're all over the place down there, but those are English boxwood. There's also American boxwood, which are heartier in cooler climates, and we have a few of those around our place. They don't have as strong a scent as the English boxwood.

But I've smelled cat pee before, both fresh and fermented, and I never associated boxwood scent with cat pee.
Hundreds of threads killed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic