Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wal-Mart abuses AC/DC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinyGreenApple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wal-Mart abuses AC/DC
    Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:11pm
Anyone else noticed they're playing 'Back In Black' at the end of their ads the past few days? That's not even going into the awfulness of the "I'm a shopping NINJA!" or the black Friday legend who named her kid "Black Friday" nonsense. Blarg. I'm ashamed to work for this company right now. 
Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:13pm
They're doing way too many friggin Black Friday commercials .. it seems like there's a different one every day with some different idiotic woman with some different personality quirk that makes her looney bin eligible.  It's almost as if they're competing with themselves for Worst Holiday Commercial of the Year award.
ShinyGreenApple View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinyGreenApple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:33pm
We've got the Today show going in the background and I've seen at least three different ads, all with the intro to the song being played at the end. A good friend of mine has been scheduled to work 8PM Thursday through 5AM Friday and he has no idea what he's in for. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:39pm

When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna dig myself a hole
Gonna lay down in it 'til
I satisfy my soul

Steeley Dan, Black Friday, 1975

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 3:42pm
Killer, intruder, homicidal man.
If you see me coming, run as fast as you can.
A blood thirsty demon who's stalking the street.
I hack up my victims like pieces of meat.

Megadeth - "Good Mourning/Black Friday" ('86)

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 5:20pm
IF I EVER HEAR THAT SONG AGAIN I'M GONNA GO BALLISTIC!!!

They've overplayed that song TO DEATH!

NO MORE!!!!Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:29pm
Shame on AC/DC for allowing Walmart to use their song.  Shame. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Maybe they got paid good money for it.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 3:47am
Or were blackmailed....  LOL
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2011 at 2:00pm
ALL Wal-Mart Commercials suck ass...another reason why I won't shop there!

Save Money, Live Better, Support China, Wal-Mart!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Original Cyn View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Cyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 2:18am
Back In Black was the first song I ever learned to play on the drums, so it's very near and dear to my heart.  Each time I hear it in the background of these Wal-Mart ads is like a small death in my soul….
"Well-behaved women rarely make history." ~~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

Maybe they got paid good money for it.

I'm pretty dang sure they have plenty of money.  Shame on the teeny Australian bastards. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 1:45pm
Sorry, EMCEE, I just don't have any issue with musicians "selling out".  I was glad to have recently heard music from one of my all-time favorite artists, The Cramps, an otherwise very uncommercial band, being used in a VW commercial.

The only problem I have is when such a commercial airs too much.  Then, I tend to become numb to the song.  I used to love Iggy Pop's Lust for Life before it became ubiquitous in commercials for various products.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Sorry, EMCEE, I just don't have any issue with musicians "selling out".  I was glad to have recently heard music from one of my all-time favorite artists, The Cramps, an otherwise very uncommercial band, being used in a VW commercial.

The only problem I have is when such a commercial airs too much.  Then, I tend to become numb to the song.  I used to love Iggy Pop's Lust for Life before it became ubiquitous in commercials for various products.

I usually don't care, but it's freaking WAL-MART.  Anything but Wal-mart!Dead

- Mark Twain

PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 5:43am
I find it sad that such an influential band's music is used by the mainstream monstrosity like Wal-Mart.  Wal-Mart and AC/DC go together like Bleach and Ammonia.  If this symbol of Middle American intolerance, worker abuse, and attracting more weirdos than crack den is being hip to the younger crowd....then it's mistaken. It's like your Grandmother liking hip-hop and your Uncle Moe liking nu metal. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic