Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do You Re-use YOUR Catheter??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do You Re-use YOUR Catheter??
    Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 6:46pm
Sorry...didn't catch the company name.  But sad-sack Catheter Lady laments about having to re-use her catheter every time she "CATHS".  I guess that's a new verb: "to CATH".    So although she was nervous to call strangers on the telephone....yes that's what she said....Confused.... she did call, and those people became her FRIENDS!  And now she has fresh new catheters!  Wheeeeee!!  

Oy ve....Dead  Another "below the equator crotchal area problem" I'd rather not hear about while eating my chicken salad sandwich! 
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Sponsored Links

powerfunk View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 6:54pm
Haven't seen these ads, but thanks for adding "cath" to my vocabulary.
Always, ALWAYS get CHILI on your nachos bell grande.
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 7:42pm
"Cath" has been in my vocabulary for a long time.  My wife used to need to do that, but doesn't any more forunately.

I have to wonder though?  How many people do need to cath?  Is this something that really needs to be advertised on TV?
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 8:37pm

If it makes you feel better: catheters aren't always for urine issues. 

From Wikipedia:
Uses

Placement of a catheter into a particular part of the body may allow:

A central venous catheter is a conduit for giving drugs or fluids into a large-bore catheter positioned either in a vein near the heart or just inside the atrium. A Swan-Ganz catheter is a special type of catheter placed into the pulmonary artery for measuring pressures in the heart.

A Touhy borst adapter is a medical device used for attaching catheters to various other devices.

Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 10:21pm
Some ads serve no purpose other to disgust the majority of viewers.
While I empathize with those who 'cath', I do not desire to hear about some crone reusing her peepee tube.  I've seen hundreds of these, and I've always known that reusing is not an antiseptic practice.  bleeech!
was feeling nostalgic
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 11:20pm
Dead
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 10:55pm
It's for Liberator Medical I've posted my response below.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 2:37am

Nauseous....I don't really get why a new thread needed to be posted on this topic when you not only participated in this one a while back,  but  you bumped this one back up to say you posted a new thread on the same topic.  That's just annoying. You can delete your topics on this board providing there are no replies to it.  Confused

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 8:47pm

this cat is more entertaining than most caths!LOL
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Spicy_Meatball Spicy_Meatball wrote:

Nauseous....I don't really get why a new thread needed to be posted on this topic when you not only participated in this one a while back,  but  you bumped this one back up to say you posted a new thread on the same topic.  That's just annoying. You can delete your topics on this board providing there are no replies to it.  Confused

sorry, I forgot there was one here already.

I've edited the new topic to a link to this thread.

here's my response to the ad since it was the first time I've ever saw it myself.

This make me literally feel like I was going to puke. Even how almost descriptive she talks about it is disgusting. WHY? WHY? air this commercial no one wants to hear about your "spare time" and how you reused your (fun bottle) to (make surprises). Please for the sake of my appetite, have a bit more taste in your ads, I don't need to hear your (drop times).

the one I saw was the brunette I seriously don't need to hear this on my TV DeadDeadDead, was MSNBC trying to make people feel sick????

YES I know what it's used for.

what worse I've spotted links to videos where theres a fetish for this.DeadDeadDead

erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 9:07am
Wow, that was sadly hilarious.  I didn't know commercials could make up words.
brokentrombone View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokentrombone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

If it makes you feel better: catheters aren't always for urine issues. 

From Wikipedia:
Uses

Placement of a catheter into a particular part of the body may allow:

A central venous catheter is a conduit for giving drugs or fluids into a large-bore catheter positioned either in a vein near the heart or just inside the atrium. A Swan-Ganz catheter is a special type of catheter placed into the pulmonary artery for measuring pressures in the heart.

A Touhy borst adapter is a medical device used for attaching catheters to various other devices.

Good call there!  We refer to them as "Cath's" in the medical industry all the time.  Not sure why...lazziness perhaps.  Although, just about everything in the medical industry is either abbreviated or shortened somehow.  Example: Electrocardiogram - EKG or Magnetic resonance imaging - MRI. 

My mother-in-law uses a butterfly catheter to administer IV drugs to herself, and yes...she DOES re-use it.

Dead
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 3:59pm
My mother is in the medical industry so I've heard them called cath's before.  I didn't know the term could be used as a verb though.
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by BadWX BadWX wrote:

"Cath" has been in my vocabulary for a long time.  My wife used to need to do that, but doesn't any more forunately.

"Cath" has been in my vocabulary a long time as well, only it begins with a "K" and is preceded by the name "Terry."[/early-Chicago fan]

But yeah, the idea of boiling and reusing them is like...Dead
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokentrombone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2008 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by erod550 erod550 wrote:

My mother is in the medical industry so I've heard them called cath's before.  I didn't know the term could be used as a verb though.

Ah yes.  Such as, "has Mr. Patient been 'cathed' yet?"
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 4:17am

Count me in with those of you who think there's way too much frank discussion on TV of health problems. I'm diabetic, and I still get a bit queasy at the commercials that talk about finger sticking and such. 

Another thing these companies don't think about with these ads. My wife helped her mother daily during her suffering with ALS. At one point, catheters and changing them became an issue for her. These brutally frank commercials still bring back very painful memories for her.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

here's my response to the ad since it was the first time I've ever saw it myself.

This make me literally feel like I was going to puke. Even how almost descriptive she talks about it is disgusting. WHY? WHY? air this commercial no one wants to hear about your "spare time" and how you reused your (fun bottle) to (make surprises). Please for the sake of my appetite, have a bit more taste in your ads, I don't need to hear your (drop times).

the one I saw was the brunette I seriously don't need to hear this on my TV DeadDeadDead, was MSNBC trying to make people feel sick????

what worse I've spotted links to videos where theres a fetish for this.DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

Nauseous......we do NOT need 1000 smilies to get your point.   STOP THIS!!  Confused
BadWX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 8:08am
Originally posted by erod550 erod550 wrote:

It seems to be a real trend in our society to use nouns as verbs.

Cath  (Did you cath him yet?)
Dose  (When did you dose your meds last?)
Heart (I heart you)
Gift    (I'm going to gift this to you)

Irritating to say the least, toopid to say the most.

ConfusedOuchAngry
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokentrombone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2008 at 2:24pm
[/QUOTE]
 Nauseous......we do NOT need 1000 smilies to get your point.   STOP THIS!!  Confused
[/QUOTE]

Spicy,

Obviously you have an issue with Nauseous now b/c of the double posting or whatever.  But remember this site is about freedom of expression.  If she wants to put a million smilies in her posts....then that is her choice.  Calm down.  Chillax already.  Give Nauseous a break.

Wink
flychinook View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flychinook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 10:49am
For some reason, EVERY time I see this commercial here, only the first half is played. So I get to hear all the nastiness without any of the resolution. Somehow it seems worse... I have to suffer and I don't even know who to blame. It's like drive-by nausea.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 1:45am
I'm male. Last Time I've CheckedLOL

sorry about the excessive amount of smilies. Embarrassed
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokentrombone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 2:55pm

I'm male. Last Time I've CheckedLOL

sorry about the excessive amount of smilies. Embarrassed

Shocked OMG!  Sorry Unhappy  OK well then, let me reiterate with corrections...

Spicy,

Obviously you have an issue with Nauseous now b/c of the double posting or whatever.  But remember this site is about freedom of expression.  If he wants to put a million smilies in his posts....then that is his choice.  Calm down.  Chillax already.  Give Nauseous a break.

ah...better?
Wink
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 9:57pm
I just (finally) saw this commercial--and I hope to never see it again!

But, yes, what got me was the "I was afraid to talk to strangers."  Um...WHAT?!  I think they overplayed her "aw, shucks," moron who not only reuses her catheters, but is afraid to talk to strangers at an insurance/medical company?!  Geez.  Time for a new ad campaign.
ke7in View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ke7in Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 6:37pm
I've seen this ad for years, and often wondered how common "cathing " is. I started getting a complex because of all the ads for Medicare reimbursement products. But this one added the question of it's purpose. SNL had a fake commercial for a masculine appliance that mirrored summer's Eve pitches. The tagline was FOR YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU KNOW WHERE, or something similar
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 7:25pm

what worse I've spotted links to videos where theres a fetish for this.DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

I have reduced the number of smilies to three, better?Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic