Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passages Malibu (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passages Malibu (video)
    Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:53am
Thumbs DownI'm SO sick of this commercial I could almost cry.

Clown"...I should know - *I* was an addict for ten(10) years - and now I'm not..."
Ummmm....sorry Bobo - yes you are - once and addict, always an addict.
Quit misleading folk.
You may be 'clean'.
You may be sober.
You can 'recover'.
But you are indeed still an addict - and that is just the way it goes - the brutal truth.
Ya gots 'bad genes' and that's it - it just runs in the family and you got unlucky - that's all she wrote.
Quit lying to yourself and the rest of the world. 
Come and understand the truth - come spend yer money at 'Trails & Tails Great White North' - *I* can save you from your lying self that has fooled your stupid self.
If you decide NOT to take me up on my offer, just do us all a favor and stay sober; ya just remind me of somebody I wanna smacky around...if'n you were drunk, I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any reminding required...  

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 7:57am
I should know, I was an out of work actor for 10 years, now I'm not.
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 1:28pm
Amen, Pa!  I made the same point awhile back, but couldn't find the video.  I wonder, if addiction/alcoholism can be "cured," why do so many people relapse?(Must be they go through those ineffective 12-step programs Ermm).

As someone with alcoholism in my family(and I choose not to drink because of it), this is one of my pet peeves.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 2:35pm
I'd say that if someone hasn't used drugs or alcohol in ten years (like the guy in the commercial), they're no longer an addict.  It's those people who keep track of exactly how many years and months and days they've been "clean and sober" who seem like they're still obsessed.

I'm all for people getting the help they need, but I say, if you no longer have the desire, you're no longer an addict...at least not a very good one.

ghostonthehorizon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostonthehorizon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 5:46pm
I'd fake an addiction to vacation at a place like that. Ever notice most of these rehab places are nice little beach front property?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'd say that if someone hasn't used drugs or alcohol in ten years (like the guy in the commercial), they're no longer an addict.  It's those people who keep track of exactly how many years and months and days they've been "clean and sober" who seem like they're still obsessed.

I'm all for people getting the help they need, but I say, if you no longer have the desire, you're no longer an addict...at least not a very good one.

ConfusedI'd say if you believe what you wrote, you're either directly related to 'S-F-Brains', or sucking up for a 'live-in job' at his little rip-off resort.
I just bet when the stay is over and one clearly understands what they spent to work their way from the resort to the fleabag motel (possibly sharing a room with Robert Downey Jr), it would be enough to send the most-cured into a rapid spiral - but they have the financial backing to keep the complaints down (or the complaintants disappear).
Save some money, but spend some - 'Trails & Tails GWN' is clearly just for you - no "I Ching"-crap here - nope - when we get through with you, you'll be able to talk right and say "I Sing" (MissyD - get the bats and ropes out, we got a customer...)
How about a little 'LA Weekly' read-up on 'Passages Malibu'?
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 10:21pm
I could use a combination of PaWs camp in the GWN and Cesar Millans camp for wayward dogs in LA. My wife puts up with us anyway.
Elkwood View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 12:49am
"I used to be an addict now I'm NOT". I guess if by addict he means a kid who smoked a little weed and drank beer. He claims to be a hardcore heroin addict but back in the day, he MAY have smoked heroin and coke once in a blue moon. His rich parents put him in rehab (Promises Malibu to be exact) and when he stayed sober a couple years, daddy bought a mansion and turned it into a treatment center, named it Passages and made his "addict" son his partner. It's too bad that only people with $50K a month get a "cure" which the rest of us losers have to use a 12 step program.
Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:04am
There's rehab, and then there's Passages.  Passages is NOT for the average drunk or drug addict.  It's only for the very, very rich users of alcohol or narcotics. 

Rehab for the rest of us is hard work during a day full of meetings and counseling sessions lasting from 8:00 AM-10:00 PM.  The trouble is that for a very long time, people believed 28 to 30 days of this was long enough to recover from addiction.  No.  It's just long enough to clear the toxins out of your system.  If the center provides meds, then 30 days won't even help you sober up completely.  A good rehab will keep you for at least 90 days.  Sadly, most people who need it can't even afford the bottom-of-the-barrel rehabs.

I'm what they call a "retread," meaning I have been in and out of rehab several times.  I gave up after the sixth time.  Doctors have said I am a hard-core alcoholic, and I will probably never recover.  One of my counselors at a place where I went twice in one year said to me out loud during a group session, "I wonder how long it's going to take you to die."  She was fired for saying that, but she was right.

Once an addict, always an addict.  It never goes away.  The true addict has to fight every single day to stay sober, and some of them succeed, but it's a lifelong battle.  I doubt that anyone who goes to Passages is a true addict--just a rich recreational user who uses the word "addiction" as a medical excuse to be pampered for a few weeks in a cushy environment. 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Cherry_Carver Cherry_Carver wrote:

There's rehab, and then there's Passages.  Passages is NOT for the average drunk or drug addict.  It's only for the very, very rich users of alcohol or narcotics. 

Rehab for the rest of us is hard work during a day full of meetings and counseling sessions lasting from 8:00 AM-10:00 PM.  The trouble is that for a very long time, people believed 28 to 30 days of this was long enough to recover from addiction.  No.  It's just long enough to clear the toxins out of your system.  If the center provides meds, then 30 days won't even help you sober up completely.  A good rehab will keep you for at least 90 days.  Sadly, most people who need it can't even afford the bottom-of-the-barrel rehabs.

I'm what they call a "retread," meaning I have been in and out of rehab several times.  I gave up after the sixth time.  Doctors have said I am a hard-core alcoholic, and I will probably never recover.  One of my counselors at a place where I went twice in one year said to me out loud during a group session, "I wonder how long it's going to take you to die."  She was fired for saying that, but she was right.

Once an addict, always an addict.  It never goes away.  The true addict has to fight every single day to stay sober, and some of them succeed, but it's a lifelong battle.  I doubt that anyone who goes to Passages is a true addict--just a rich recreational user who uses the word "addiction" as a medical excuse to be pampered for a few weeks in a cushy environment. 

WinkVERY WELL SAID, CC! More true words could not have been spoken.
'Passages', from my perspective, is a calculated amount of time a person has to dry out in a luxury environment. Good for them...probably gt them out of the DUI, drug charge, or whatever...screw a bunch of that - who needs to know how the 'rich and famous' get away with their mistakes? Not me.
The choice for change is up to the individual and therein lies the answer; too many rehab places attempt to 'fill the void' with religion - personally, I do not feel that is the answer, but one method that works for a percentage of individals (so, no - I'm not putting that method down totally). Myself? I think that when it all comes to 'that time', friends, support - intervention, if you will, works wonders - but even then, one must have that support group and they must have some idea of how to properly help (and THAT is a challenge, to say the least). The 'triggers' have to be addressed; new, desireable alternative decisions have to be available.
When I wanted to quit smoking, I chose getting up and heading for my bicycle, if even to ride to the end of the wilderness and back - that worked for me (I made up my own alternatives). Anyone can do that if they really WANT to (and that realization is the first step). If you don't want to, and well, some people just don't...then it isn't time - it just will not work. As bad as this may sound and as much as friends and family may disagree, one MUST be a 'realist' and understand it just isn't time.
Gotta sink lower - 'Rock Bottom' awaits.
Having said THAT, I must also say that there is no need - and I really wish people catch themselves before that point - it SUCKS, it HURTS - permanently. All the same, people indeed do find 'another life'. MissyD & Self know many, know the life...and, of course, I've never been accused of being an 'angel' (but, as Popeye said, "I yam what I yam"). Somehow, I've maintained a manageable level of control through this big ol' goofy life (then again, I'm Irish, so, I'm lucky and some silliness is required),     
And, only the BEST of luck to you, going forward...all else is 'water under the bridge'; always look toward the 'bright side', no matter the situation - there ALWAYS is one...

Cherry_Carver View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherry_Carver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 1:52am
Thanks, Pa.  You're absolutely right.  The worst problem facing addicts/alcoholics is going home from rehab.  As they say, "All your addictions will be doing push-ups at the front door."  Everything's a trigger--a song, a picture, a beer commercial--the first major problem that yanks you down from that pink cloud will send you screaming to the liquor store unless you have major support.  I don't have any statistics for failure after rehab, because so many of us lie about whether we're still using or not.  I've been to AA meetings with people who were falling-down drunk.  There are good AA and bad AA meetings.  A good group will keep you sober.  Unfortunately, the good group I attended at rehab is 470 miles away.  My home town group is the variety that lets speakers go on and on about their tragedies.  Hey, we've all been there...it's another trigger as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of smoking (which is rampant at some facilities), did you ever manage to quit?  I quit cold-turkey after 20 years.  I attribute this to switching to organic cigarettes.  It's the chemicals Big Tobacco adds that get you hooked more than the nicotine.  One day I just put out the cigarette I was smoking and never picked up another one.  No cravings ever again.  Anyone who wants to quit, never mind Chantix or nicotine gum.  Just go natural.  It makes it really easy to stop.  Too bad I can't do the same with liquor!  You can't quit cold turkey when you're an alcoholic...it's fatal. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 2:08am

You can't quit cold turkey when you're an alcoholic...it's fatal. 

I just watched an episode of Intervention last night in which an alcoholic's young wife (also an alcoholic) had died a year earlier after attempting to go cold turkey off of alcohol.  Within two days after stopping, she went into seizures and died.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I just watched an episode of Intervention last night in which an alcoholic's young wife (also an alcoholic) had died a year earlier after attempting to go cold turkey off of alcohol.  Within two days after stopping, she went into seizures and died.

...very true - sad but true...I tried to quit having my occasional beer about 30 years ago - and got the same warning.
On the 'Light Side', that is why it is good to be Irish.
Part of our responsibility is to pass out spread-eagle and keep the earth from flying into space.
It's a 'Heritage Thing', doncha know...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 3:41am
ConfusedOne would think that if 'Passages Malibu' can pay to have their commercial broadcast again, they *might* have been smart enough to at least create a NEW commercial - but no...this one is back. Wonder if 'sonnyboy' suffered a relapse and they're scrambling for funds...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:43am
ConfusedI started this thread well over a year ago...and, to this day, we are all being subected to Pax Prentiss exclaim, "I was once an addict - now I'm NOT!".
I am SO sick of him looking into that 'mirror' (the camera lense), trying to convince himself and anyone who cares, that he wouldn't look for an 'escape hatch', should life deal him a nasty blow.
Also surprising is that Passages Malibu appears to have only made one commercial - thought they were in much better financial standings and could possibly make a few more. 
zerocool View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zerocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 10:37pm
I'm convinced Pax Prentiss is still an addict because he just has that vibe going on, ya know?

Most are addicts for life, but I personally know a couple of people who have quit for good. They've gone from nothing to lose to proper jobs, nice homes, families, etc. They're both in their late 20s, though.

I guess it's easier to be optimistic about the rest of your life when you've still got most of it left. If you're an old addict, you're probably f*cked. You're probably also f*cked if you have the money to buy as much as you want (target audience of this commercial).
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:49pm
Actually, once an addict - even a recovered addict, one should never lie to themself.
They are genetically-indisposed to the lifestyle.
They NEVER become 'ex-addicts', no matter what anyone tells them - they just become addicts, strong within themselves. In other words, it is what it is, so live with the stigma and just become more - who cares about titles when what matters is the legacy.
I'm a firm believer that anyone who tells you they are an 'ex-addict' - no longer an addict - is the first person you should not trust. They are the type who lied to their mothers.

To quote the famous philosopher, Popeye, "I yam what I yam!"

To trust Chris or Pax Prentiss is...well...kinda like donating your life to Jim Jones.

EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 3:23am
It really pisses me off that they prey on addicts.  How f*cking low of a human being do you have to be to sell some sh*t like this?  
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

RoastGecko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoastGecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 7:24am
I'd like to ask this guy the same thing Bob Saget asks Chapelle here haha

Seriously though, I'd like to hear how this guy struggled with addiction, and how he thinks he's better than the audience he and his business talk down to. Ever sucked dick for coke buddy?
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 7:40am
This is why I never "quit" anything....LOL  Rehab  is for quitters.  lol   
Couldn't agree more with CC....."very rich users of alcohol and narcotics"....
Musicman...way too funny.....
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Chubs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 10:46am
The guy in the commercial never said he had been clean 10 years. He said he was an addict for ten years. I personally don't give a sh*t about the once an addict always an addict vs cured debate. I'm an addict. Clean 16 years and still consider myself an addict. For the DB who said those who count years and days are the ones still obsessed with drugs (I think the same guy who thought dude was clean 10 years) pull your head out. I've been clean 5,970 days. I'm not obsessed with drugs in the least. I do get obsessed and/or passionate about quite a few things, drugs is not among them. I do celebrate being free of them every day. Those who count days may be obsessed but more likely with recovery than using.

This isn't the first commercial that kid has done. I remember seeing the first one and laughing my ass off because I thought "That dude's a using addict" before he opened his mouth or identified himself as the son of the founders. When he did open his mouth, said he was an addict and claimed to be clean I laughed even harder. Addicts can spot addict bullsh*t a mile away. I'm just saying don't be surprised if you one day find out dude wasn't clean (or was "legally" medicated when making the commercials). Am I not the only one who got the creepy used car salesman vibe when dude pulls his disingenuous smile and lies about being sober? My god I'd love to play poker with homeboy. Not just because he is filthy rich, but because he displays classic poker tells when claiming to be clean.

I'm not even saying that Passages doesn't work. Most programs are the same concepts with different names. (Character defects and reservations become thinking errors and triggers. Or a reservation becomes "permission to act out" in a "cognitive" cycle chart.) I'm just saying that dude is full of sh*t. Mommy and daddy own passages and make a lot of money from it. Of course dude is going to say he is clean. I'm sure passages (and everyone else who re-words 12 Step concepts, repackages them, sells them, and makes money from them) have helped a lot of people. Hell, even AA and NA are a repackaging of an older program's concepts.

I think passages has probably helped quite a few people. I just don't think dude is one of them. (Unless we are talking about helping his bank account.)
Chubs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 10:54am
BTW, being an addict is not a stigma for me. I wear it like a badge of honor. I walked through hell and came out alive on the other end. Being in active addiction sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Being recovered (or recovering if you prefer) is awesome and at the same time I wouldn't wish active addiction on anyone, I almost feel sorry for normal people who don't get to experience the otherside. I wouldn't trade being an addict for anything. I guess it's like climbing a treacherous mountain and reaching the summit - You may never want to make the climb and face those trials again, but wouldn't trade the reward for all the riches in the world.

Proud to be an addict

Grateful to be alive

Free to live as I choose
Chubs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 11:03am
Originally posted by zerocool zerocool wrote:

I'm convinced Pax Prentiss is still an addict because he just has that vibe going on, ya know?

That's EXACTLY what the fook I'm talking about. My bullsh*t alarm just blares when I watch this dude. Game recognize game, crime recognize crime, and BS recognize BS. As a former user, criminal, bullsh*tter, and professional poker player (no bullsh*t, pun intended) I'd go all-in on this dude not having the sobriety he claims. Too bad there's not a showdown in real life. I'd snap-call his bluff and make him show.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 11:03am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Actually, once an addict - even a recovered addict, one should never lie to themself.
They are genetically-insidposed to the lifestyle.

I know a few Cognitive-Behaviourals who would like to slap you for saying that.

It's more often about learning the behaviours than some random genetic "f**k you" from mommy and daddy. Fun fact is that look at almost all addicts, and you can find a cognitive issue behind it a lot easier than a genetic link. Plenty of addicts who come from long lines of non-addicts as well.

Granted, I wouldn't take one side over the other entirely...just that as much as people want to call it a disease, there is a lot to say that it's nurture, not nature.
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 11:09am

Actually, I quit cold turkey after being a 12-pack+ a day drinker for years, and just celebrated 15 years sobriety in January. Cold turkey isn't "fatal", I'm proof. Granted, I "weened" myself by only drinking two beers the last day I drank, but I'm still alive.

My beef with this commercial is how it's worded: "This is not a 12 step program.. I should know, blah blah"

OK, how does your recovery after ten years of addiction prove in any way that this isn't a 12 step program? Maybe edit in the part where you tried 12 step programs so you know the difference between those and Passages?

That might help.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic