Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cops will pull you over!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cops will pull you over!
    Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 5:23pm
Since my brother loves to watch TV Shows On Demand...some shows you can't skip commercials so you HAVE to watch them!...

One of them comes from the "Over the Limit...Under Arrest" people, this time it's busting people where they have Sobriety Check Points. Once the cop stops the drunkards...they go to jail!

I wish I had a vid for this!Angry
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

purrpickle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrpickle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 7:16pm
Uhm, that sounds logical that once you get busted for being drunk driving you go to jail.  I thought that's how it always went. Or is your ire directed at something else? I'd say the creepy camouflage's pretty... Creepy.
Your friendly neighborhood pickle thief with the heart of a kitten. :}
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 7:40pm

We've had a number of threads about this campaign - and one of our members either is related to one of the authors, or was in on the 'flooded car ads'.

Personally, *I* like an occasional cocktail, but I support the campaign to the hilt. Must be just the image of an inebriated individual controlling almost 2 tons of metal, going any rate of speed in public that rings up as entirely irresponsible ~ not fair to you or yours, nor my own and myself.  

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 9:46pm
Actually the ads are silly, but I was just pulled over last night and given a field sobriety check, it ain't no joke. I had no idea what the speed limit was since it was an area I'm not familiar with and just followed the van next to me. 2 cops shot out of no where and pulled the van, and me, over.  Luckily I blew a .05 and was let go. Had to walk a straight line, follow the pen, and stand on one foot. I aced it, naturally. I would never drive if I didn't feel completely in control of my own body. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me and I will pretty much never drive buzzed again.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 12:04am
The one I'm seeing a lot, is the one with a respectable kinda guy in his 20s relaying from his jail cell how he doesn't drink much and just wanted to get home and sleep in his own bed the night that he did drink.  Instead, he ended up killing two kids.  Says he'd rather have been the one to die (or something like that).

I never drink, but I imagine that the one time I might decide to, I get involved in something like that.  Even if I just got a DUI, I think how badly that would suck.

I mainly don't drink because it just makes me want to sleep.  Plus, I just don't like the taste.

smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 1:12am
What bothers me is their new slogan--"Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over."  It's like they tried so hard to make a clever rhyme and failed miserably.  I actually miss the cars-full-of-booze ads.

(FTR, I don't drive[vision issues], and rarely drink[alcoholism in my family]).
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 2:44am
I would never drive if I didn't feel completely in control of my own body.
The problem with this sentiment: If you drink too much, EVERthing seems like a fine idea. And that's the The problem with these commercials- you get everybody on board with a simple concept........until they've had a few too many. Then it's WHEEEEE!!!! Let ME do the driving!! I drive BETTER after a few!! YEEHAAH!!

The ads are good to remind people how serious it is, but I'm sure even the drunkest, manslaughtering drivers have seen those ads before. And the alcoholics are in too much denial.

We don't worry too much about it b/c when we go out, it's usually in the city, and that means taking the train. And we never drink so much that we're flat-out stupid. A hangover ruins the next couple of days for me.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 3:38am
Originally posted by smittykins smittykins wrote:

What bothers me is their new slogan--"Drive Sober Or Get Pulled Over."  It's like they tried so hard to make a clever rhyme and failed miserably. 

The similar "Drive Sober or Get Worked Over" campaign (where cops go "Rodney King" on DUI's), never got off the ground.  Something about it being perceived as "police brutality"....
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 3:42am
I have only been what I consider completely falling over wasted maybe 3 times in my life, and I know exactly what it feels like. I always either sleep it off or have someone else drive me home, as drunk as I get, I still somehow understand to stay as far away from my car as possible. Unfortunately, there are a lot of drunks out there without that little brain switch and think driving wasted is dandy. On this particular night I had 2 drinks and was completely cognizant. The problem is, I'm fairly petite so it won't take much for me to get to the legal limit.
msubulldog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msubulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 7:58pm
Seems like they're always run close to major holidays. Also, in one of the commercials, the guy in the pickup who's weaving on the road at the start of the commercial resembles Larry the Cable Guy. Later on a clean-cut man in a blazer and tie looks like either Matt Lauer or the guy who plays Stabler on Law & Order Special Victims Unit. Dead
mst3k4evr View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 8:58pm
What I hate about these ads is that they give the impression that only men get DUIs. I have yet to see a commercial where one of the people getting caught is a woman.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by mst3k4evr mst3k4evr wrote:

What I hate about these ads is that they give the impression that only men get DUIs. I have yet to see a commercial where one of the people getting caught is a woman.
ConfusedThat's because it wouldn't make sense.
Gurlz usually make *very stupid* mistakes on their first attempt at a DUI.
They usually don't get busted - they get peeled and planted.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Dervrak View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dervrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:30pm

Drinking and Driving is certainly a serious issue, but I hate the whole "big brother is watching you", gestapo vibe these commercials have, same deal with the seatbelt commercials. Would it kill them to put on a commercial where they basically say, "Please don't drink and drive, you could get in a lot of trouble or hurt yourself and others." rather than the "OFFICER JACKBOOT IS WATCHING YOU AT ALL TIMES !!! HE'S JUST PRAYING THAT YOU DRINK AND DRIVE SO HE CAN PLANT YOUR FACE INTO THE CONCRETE AND SODOMIZE YOU WITH HIS BILLY CLUB !!!"

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:37pm

and here's more funny one that I haven't seen before:

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:40pm

We have one!  We have one!  It's put out by some California organization, and shows a buncha girls dancing at a club and then getting into a car.  Cop pulls 'em over and the designated driver says she's not as buzzed "as they are" (referring to the other girls in the car).

I couldn't find it on Youtube.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

and here's more funny one that I haven't seen before:

I like this oneLOL
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:12pm
Even more commercials to make people terrified of cops.
It's a good message though.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

We have one!  We have one!  It's put out by some California organization, and shows a buncha girls dancing at a club and then getting into a car.  Cop pulls 'em over and the designated driver says she's not as buzzed "as they are" (referring to the other girls in the car).

I couldn't find it on Youtube.

Why do they have to act like if you've had ANY alcohol  before driving you're a terrible person? There's a reason it's called the legal limit. If someone blows a .079 they can LEGALLY operate a vehicle. I was not even tipsy in the least when I blew a .05 and I'm a petite woman.  Only .03 more percent and I'm a legal danger to society? Point being, if they want to make it a law that you can't have ANY alcohol in your system to drive then they need to pass that law. In the mean time they need to lay off those of us who have a couple of drinks with friends and can walk a straight line.
NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 3:50am
They put up electronic signs on the highways here:

Drink
Drive
Go to Jail

Why are they telling us to drink, to drive, and then to go to jail? What is it about the imperative form of English that they don't understand. Ever time I see that, I want a drink.
calzonesays View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calzonesays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 5:17am
It's no coincidence that the criminals in all these commercials are always white and the cops more times than not are always black. 

Reverse racism at its finest.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by calzonesays calzonesays wrote:

It's no coincidence that the criminals in all these commercials are always white and the cops more times than not are always black. 

I see it as a fear (on the part of the advertisers) of being called racist rather than as racism, reverse or otherwise.  There are groups that might make an issue of it, if they showed the criminals as black. 

d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by calzonesays calzonesays wrote:

Especially if you look for it.
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
msubulldog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msubulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

That image of a cop reminds me of Barney Fife !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
molegoddess View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molegoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 5:10am
Originally posted by Dervrak Dervrak wrote:

Drinking and Driving is certainly a serious issue, but I hate the whole "big brother is watching you", gestapo vibe these commercials have, same deal with the seatbelt commercials. Would it kill them to put on a commercial where they basically say, "Please don't drink and drive, you could get in a lot of trouble or hurt yourself and others." rather than the "OFFICER JACKBOOT IS WATCHING YOU AT ALL TIMES !!! HE'S JUST PRAYING THAT YOU DRINK AND DRIVE SO HE CAN PLANT YOUR FACE INTO THE CONCRETE AND SODOMIZE YOU WITH HIS BILLY CLUB !!!"

Yes!  Times 1000.  I never drink, but these commercials make me nervous about driving because I don't want to get pulled over by some cop just looking for an excuse to make me do a sobriety test.
Also the seatbelt ads.  I would never even think of driving without a seatbelt, but I didn't need a stupid commercial to come to that decision, and ads broadcasting my lack of privacy in my own car don't make me feel any better about anything.
This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff.     ~The Doctor
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
I actually got a DUI when I was 17. My buddy & I got off work late one particularly busy Saturday night at the Italian restaurant where we worked. We had really busted our asses that night & were ready to relax & get a buzz. So we stopped at a liquor store's drive thru window & picked up a couple of six packs of 16 oz. Colt 45's. We took em to an empty street at the back of our neighborhood & started drinking when a kid we knew from "the 'hood" came by & offered to smoke a joint with us, which we of course accepted.

After 5 "tall-boys" apiece, for some reason we decided to drive somewhere, why I don't remember because we had nowhere to go. Anyway, we took this long dark dirt road that connected to other paved ones. The kid who was with us wanted to drive, so I let him drive along the dirt road, but because he was underage & had no license, when we got to where the dirt road ended, we switched back.

That was where I went wrong.

Being somewhat inebriated & wanting to show off, I got the sudden impulse to spin the tires of my little '73 Dodge Colt wagon in the dirt, which was mud at the time, because it had rained all evening. I gunned the motor, popped the clutch & spin they did. And they kept on spinning onto the wet pavement. And as I steered the car, rear tires still spinning, left thru the break in the median because we were going the other way, the car fishtailed across the two lanes I was aiming for & the right rear tire hopped up onto the curb & made a nice, loud chirp. It came back down & fishtailed a couple more times before I got it back under control.

At 2:30 am, after a Saturday night, cops have a funny tendency to sit & lurk out of sight in dark corners, watching for just such occurences. And of course, there was one doing just that right across from where I had just pulled my little stunt.

We were still busy laughing & joshing about the little maneuver I had just performed when I looked in the rear view mirror & saw the red & blue lights flashing behind me.

And that was all she wrote, boys & girls.

The cop, a real redneck a-hole, had me out there doing the field sobriety test which I failed miserably, of course. So he put me in the back of the car & took me to the station in the next town over because our station apparently didn't have a breathalizer.

I blew a .16 or .18, I can't remember which. But the limit was .10 back then so it didn't much matter.

I was charged with DUI & reckless driving, which I wound up plea bargaining down to reckless driving & the DUI charge was dropped & stricken from the record. I had to pay a $250 fine & take a drinking & driving class which cost another $60.

That was in 1974. Getting out of that same fix for $310 today is unheard of. More like $3100.

But even after that, for several years afterward, I STILL drank & drove. I mostly never got quite that drunk & I was always much more careful about how I drove (no more spinning tires), but I was still usually drunk enough to get arrested again. I do remember this one time in particular, driving home so drunk I really wondered if I was gonna make it. And I had to drive on an interstate highway to boot.

That was back in the early 80's, but I shudder to think about it even now.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic