Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevron "We Agree" renewable energy ad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevron "We Agree" renewable energy ad.
    Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 5:18am
I can't tell you which one of these two putrid pukes make my skin crawl worse.... the actor they call "Steve" the supposed Chevron employee, or the actress they call "Iris" the supposed teacher.

"Steve" is a blatant soulless shill, who robotically reads lines that were carefully prepared for him by Chevron's PR dept. like a pre-programmed automaton.   

"Iris" is a mousy little bunny rabbit with a squeaky voice who bounces up & down in her seat a little bit to emphasize how "serious" she is as she earnestly glowers at the camera & bats her eyes with that stupid looking, doe-eyed expression on her little mocha bunny face. 

YUCK!!!!

I can't figure out which one of them is more impossible to take seriously, but I gotta say that "Iris" is by FAR the most nauseating. Whoever they think she's supposed to appeal to, I have no idea.

Do these oil-companies actually expect us to believe these fake-ass shill ads made to make people think they're actually out there looking for ways to replace the product that's been making them billions of dollars a year in profits for decades????

Puh-LEASE.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 12:04pm

Well-said. 

Yes, they don't want to be seen as 'the next BP'; they don't want to have to close down as many stations as BP has, due to public disdain. They'll gladly peddle themselves off as the organization that wants to be 'you and me walking in lock-step, arm-in-arm, and happy'.
Got to maintain good public relations if you want to do business.
Starts with a commercial.

Now...what are they really up to?

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:09pm
I don't think some people will be satisfied unless Chevron switches completely over to renewable energy tomorrow.  But which one?  Oh, who knows and who cares?  As long as they no longer refine oil, a product that, obviously, no one uses any longer.

Really...unless you're using alternative fuels/energy to the exclusion of oil, you have no room to complain that Chevron isn't involved enough in alternative energies.  Believe me, if Chevron sees alternative energy as profitable, they'll be involved in alternative research/production.  In fact, they're already considered a leader in the production of geothermal energy.

But yeah...Iris is annoying.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't think some people will be satisfied unless Chevron switches completely over to renewable energy tomorrow.  But which one?  Oh, who knows and who cares?  As long as they no longer refine oil, a product that, obviously, no one uses any longer.

Well, there is a case to be made that they should've seen this all coming & started developing alternative sources 20 years ago instead of waiting until things started getting critical & people started demanding them. The "greenhouse effect" is something that was known about & was being talked about back in the early 80's & possibly before.

Really...unless you're using alternative fuels/energy to the exclusion of oil, you have no room to complain that Chevron isn't involved enough in alternative energies.

You can't honestly make that claim. If they aren't offering any alternative yet that is viable & readily available to the average person, then the average person is kinda stuck. You have to get to work & run your life, afterall.

Believe me, if Chevron sees alternative energy as profitable, they'll be involved in alternative research/production.  In fact, they're already considered a leader in the production of geothermal energy.

CHINA is even ahead of us (way ahead) in the implementation of clean energy technology. Maybe that's because they don't allow big corporations to set policy for them based on what makes those corporations the most money. Maybe they actually understand that there are more important things in the world than money.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:39pm
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Well, there is a case to be made that they should've seen this all coming & started developing alternative sources 20 years ago instead of waiting until things started getting critical & people started demanding them. The "greenhouse effect" is something that was known about & was being talked about back in the early 80's & possibly before.

How?  Oil was plentiful and gas was $1.14/gallon in 1991.

What people are clamoring for is to end the reliance on foreign oil.  That's relatively new.  Few are clamoring for alternative fuels based on any greenhouse effect.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:46pm

Really...unless you're using alternative fuels/energy to the exclusion of oil, you have no room to complain that Chevron isn't involved enough in alternative energies.

You can't honestly make that claim. If they aren't offering any alternative yet that is viable & readily available to the average person, then the average person is kinda stuck. You have to get to work & run your life, afterall.

And there ya go.  Maybe you need to actually demand (rather than yell about) alternative fuels.  Y'know, the whole law of supply and demand?  Buy a Prius.  Those are already available.  You can't tell me they're not. 

Otherwise, it seems to me that you're not demanding the alternative be available; you're demanding it be cheap.

It's up to you, Jimbo.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:51pm
The first article you linkked is about exactly the same thing as the 3rd one I posted that also has a video clip of an ABC News report embedded.

Did you watch it?

It talks about the solar panel company moving to China because of the fact that China actually wants them there. Why did the US govt. show so little interest? I'm guessing that maybe the oil company lobbyists told them to not be interested at this time.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm

How?  Oil was plentiful and gas was $1.14/gallon in 1991.

What people are clamoring for is to end the reliance on foreign oil.  That's relatively new.  Few are clamoring for alternative fuels based on any greenhouse effect.

I'm not talking about public opinion or the relative price & availability of oil 20 - 30 years ago. I'm talking about the energy industry acting responsibly & putting more important things ahead of profits. I realize that you can't fathom the notion of there being some things more important than money, but take my word for it, there are.

And your assertion that nobody cares about the greenhouse effect aka global warming aka climate change is ridiculous.

Maybe in the right wing, xenophobic, hate-everything-foreign circles you move in, reliance on foreign oil might be the driving factor behind the push for alternative fuel sources, but for everyone else, it's about keeping the Earth habitable for future generations.

Big surprise, eh?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:01pm

I read the article and saw the blurb on the company I linked to.

Looks like the problem is that "commitment to clean energy" on the part of the Obama admin is a lotta lip service.  The reality is that they're simply not committed.

The whole "green jobs" thing failed in Spain.  So why do we think it'll work here?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm

I'm not talking about public opinion or the relative price & availability of oil 20 - 30 years ago. I'm talking about the energy industry acting responsibly & putting more important things ahead of profits. I realize that you can't fathom the notion of there being some things more important than money, but take my word for it, there are.

And your assertion that nobody cares about the greenhouse effect aka global warming aka climate change is ridiculous.

Maybe in the right wing, xenophobic, hate-everything-foreign circles you move in, reliance on foreign oil might be the driving factor behind the push for alternative fuel sources, but for everyone else, it's about keeping the Earth habitable for future generations.

Big surprise, eh?

Where does this idea that the energy industry (or any business, for that matter) is supposed to be concerned with anything other than profits, come from?

In California, we have even green companies leaving the state because it's simply not profitable to maintain operations here.  For them, it's all about profits, too.

But as I said, if you're really that concerned (other than in your head and in words) about "keeping the Earth habitable for future generations", you'd already have that Prius or some electric vehicle.  Whatsamatter---not cost effective enough for you?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm

And there ya go.  Maybe you need to actually demand (rather than yell about) alternative fuels.  Y'know, the whole law of supply and demand?  Buy a Prius.  Those are already available.  You can't tell me they're not. 

Otherwise, it seems to me that you're not demanding the alternative be available; you're demanding it be cheap.

It's up to you, Jimbo.

Awesome!!!!

So.... are you going to send me the $60,000.00 to buy my new Prius via a check in the mail, or are you going to wire it to me via Western Union, or will you just contact my local Prius dealer & tell them to put the cost of my new car on your account & you'll take care of payment directly to them?

Because, like most people, Thor, I can't afford to pay 60,000 clams for a car.

But I'm assuming that because you're so free about suggesting I get one, that you plan to pick up the tab.

Thanks, buddy!!!!!

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:14pm

Here's one page (out of many) for the sale of used Priuses.  I see one on this page that has only 60,000 miles on it.  Price=$12,900.

If you're that concerned, you'll buy it.  At the very least, you would have known that that $60,000 price tag you put out there, is nonsense.  You'd also have known that a brand new one is about $25,000.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:15pm

Big surprise, eh?

Where does this idea that the energy industry (or any business, for that matter) is supposed to be concerned with anything other than profits, come from?

In California, we have even green companies leaving the state because it's simply not profitable to maintain operations here.  For them, it's all about profits, too.

But as I said, if you're really that concerned (other than in your head and in words) about "keeping the Earth habitable for future generations", you'd already have that Prius.

You're joking, right? You honestly don't believe in a corporation's obligation to place what's right above what's profitable? Are you one of those Ayn Rand KoolAid drinkers? You one of those wingers who buys into the notion that greed is good & necessary?

The need to make enough profit to stay in business is different that the desire to increase & maximize already obscene levels of profit. And why is it not profitable for these green companies to operate in California? Could it be that the big oil companies who control the government WANT it to be unprofoitable for them?

And re: the Prius, I'm still waiting for you to send me the 60 grand.

Hurry it up!!! I want my new Prius.

Do they make them in blue?

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:22pm

Here's one page (out of many) for the sale of used Priuses.  I see one on this page that has only 60,000 miles on it.  Price=$12,900.
If you're that committed, you'll buy it.  Even if you have to sell your house.

And thus ends any pretense of an honest or serious discussion on the issue.

Typical of where arguments with right wingers always end up.... at some absurd conclusion that has zero basis in reality.

If I sell my house to buy a Prius, are you going to take me in & let me live in your house for the rest of my life, Thor?

Because, if you are really committed to standing by your words, you'll extend an open invitiation to me or anyone else who has to sell their house to buy a hybrid vehicle.

C'mon, man!
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:29pm

I hate the ads from big companies that are trying to make their company sound like it is good for environment, poor people, wildlife, etc.  If you look at the group who sponsor these (the names always sound nice), these groups or organizations are always either Republican or Democratic based.  You will also find that the vast majority are Republican--sorry but that's a fact.  And if you look at the data, they may not be true, or they have taken statistics and data and manipulated for their purpose (i.e. make it look better than it is).

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:30pm

If you're that concerned, you'll buy it.  At the very least, you would have known that that $60,000 price tag you put out there, is nonsense.  You'd also have known that a brand new one is about $25,000.

Well, they were 60K when they first hit the market.

But the point is moot anyway. I can't afford 25K or 12K either for that matter, so you're still gonna have to pick up the tab for me.

On another note, I do my part by driving as little as possible.

I don't go out pleasure cruising to places like the beach or for any other recreational purposes.

I drive to work & to the grocery store. Period.

It is not uncommon for my truck to sit in the driveway an entire day & not get driven. Sometimes for two days.

And, this is the honest truth, over the past few years, I have averaged about 2,500 - 3,000 miles of driving per year. That's how many miles my odometer has registered. I actually have gone nearly 3 years between oil changes because it took nearly three years to put 6,000 miles on my truck.

I had to replace a set of tires that still had plenty of tread on them because they got too old & started to crack before I put enough miles on them for the tread to wear out.

So, I have nothing to feel guilty about.

And BTW..... hybrid technology is not the technology of the future anyway. Buying one would just be a waste of money right now for someone like me who keeps a car for several years.

Total, 100% battery powered electric is the way of the future.

That's what I'm waiting for.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I hate the ads from big companies that are trying to make their company sound like it is good for environment, poor people, wildlife, etc.  If you look at the group who sponsor these (the names always sound nice), these groups or organizations are always either Republican or Democratic based.  You will also find that the vast majority are Republican--sorry but that's a fact.

BINGO.
Give this person a cigar.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:38pm

You're joking, right? You honestly don't believe in a corporation's obligation to place what's right above what's profitable? Are you one of those Ayn Rand KoolAid drinkers? You one of those wingers who buys into the notion that greed is good & necessary?

The need to make enough profit to stay in business is different that the desire to increase & maximize already obscene levels of profit. And why is it not profitable for these green companies to operate in California? Could it be that the big oil companies who control the government WANT it to be unprofoitable for them?

Not saying it's "right".  I'm saying it's the way it is, always was, and always will be.  People don't go into business to help the environment (not even the green companies do that); they go into business to make profits.  that's the definition of "business". 

From Wikipedia, first paragraph:

A business (also known as enterprise or firm) is an organization engaged in the trade of goods, services, or both to consumers.[1] Businesses are predominant in capitalist economies, in which most of them are privately owned and administered to earn profit to increase the wealth of their owners.

As far as Big Oil's control over California, Prop 23 failed in 2010.  And businesses continue to leave in droves in 2011.  69 businesses, many "green", left California in the first quarter of this year.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:48pm

Not saying it's "right".  I'm saying it's the way it is, always was, and always will be.  People don't go into business to help the environment (not even the green companies do that); they go into business to make profits.  that's the definition of "business". 

From Wikipedia, first paragraph:

A business (also known as enterprise or firm) is an organization engaged in the trade of goods, services, or both to consumers.[1] Businesses are predominant in capitalist economies, in which most of them are privately owned and administered to earn profit to increase the wealth of their owners.

As far as Big Oil's control over California, Prop 23 failed in 2010.  And businesses continue to leave in droves in 2011.  69 businesses, many "green", left California in the first quarter of this year.

Well, I am talking about what's right. My entire point is based on the idea that it's time for big corporations to stop putting profits ahead of doing the right thing. There is no law that says they can't & BTW, there was a time when it was common for big companies to sacrifice some of their potential profit for the sake of doing the right thing.

Like companies that kept their entire work force employed during slow business cycles even though it would've been more profitable to lay hundreds or thousands off until things picked up. Every once in awhile, you still hear about companies doing that, but it's less & less commoon & usually not the really big ones.

Another thing you hear about these days is big companies letting long serving employees go just before they get their 20 years in so the company won't have to pay the pensions they promised.

You can't discuss the issue of environmental responsibility without including the moral implications & obligations that are involved.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:51pm

Well, they were 60K when they first hit the market.

But the point is moot anyway. I can't afford 25K or 12K either for that matter, so you're still gonna have to pick up the tab for me.

On another note, I do my part by driving as little as possible.

I don't go out pleasure cruising to places like the beach or for any other recreational purposes.

I drive to work & to the grocery store. Period.

It is not uncommon for my truck to sit in the driveway an entire day & not get driven. Sometimes for two days.

And, this is the honest truth, over the past few years, I have averaged about 2,500 - 3,000 miles of driving per year. That's how many miles my odometer has registered. I actually have gone nearly 3 years between oil changes because it took nearly three years to put 6,000 miles on my truck.

So, I have nothing to feel guilty about.

And BTW..... hybrid technology is not the technology of the future anyway. Buying one would just be a waste of money right now for someone like me who keeps a car for several years.

Total, 100% battery powered electric is the way of the future.

That's what I'm waiting for.

That's all well and good.  I change my oil every 3,000 miles.  Last time was in May of 2010.

But all that means is that we support the oil companies less.  It doesn't mean we've encouraged alternative fuels.

And, as far as battery power being the wave of the future, there's the problem right there.  That is, your stated desire to wait until battery-powered vehicles are feasible and, presumably, affordable.  That's what most other people are waiting for, too.  This goes back to my original point.  People are all waiting for someone else to make it so...yet they want it available yesterday.  It's like the advent of CD players in 1980 or so.  People had turntables and vinyl albums already.  CDs weren't as readily available.  So, was everyone supposed to go out and buy CD players just to encourage the new technology?  Should the stereo manufacturers and record companies shifted immediately and completely to the new technology just to force everyone into it?  Keep in mind, they'd have to ban turntables and the existence of used vinyl record stores, too.

Sorry, Jimbo...this doesn't work as a business model.  The only way it can possibly work is with trillions in government subsidies.  And we see what that did to Spain.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:02pm

That's all well and good.  I change my oil every 3,000 miles.  Last time was in May of 2010.

But all that means is that we support the oil companies less.  It doesn't mean we've encouraged alternative fuels.

And, as far as battery power being the wave of the future, there's the problem right there.  That is, your stated desire to wait until battery-powered vehicles are feasible and, presumably, affordable.  That's what most other people are waiting for, too.  This goes back to my original point.  People are all waiting for someone else to make it so...yet they want it available yesterday.  

Sorry, Jimbo...this doesn't work as a business model.  The only way it can possibly work is with trillions in government subsidies.  And we see what that did to Spain.

Wrong.

By supporting oil companies less, we are witholding our money & by it's very definition, that is tantamount to casting our vote for them to hurry up & develop something else.

And the point is not that people are just waiting for the oil companies who (according to you, presumably) are supposedly working feverishly around the clock to develop alternative fuel sources, the point is that the oil companies are purposely dragging their feet & standing in the way of alternative fuels being developed because it is in their interest to keep us addicted to the product that has made them trillions in profits over the years. These people are not gonna help kill, or allow someone else to kill, the goose that has layed all those golden eggs for them over the years.

Even though doing that would be the right & responsible thing for them to do.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:02pm

Another thing you hear about these days is big companies letting long serving employees go just before they get their 20 years in so the company won't have to pay the pensions they promised.

It sounds as if you're not even aware that pension plans, in the private sector, are pretty much over.  Of course, people still pay into them---except now, they're paying into them on behalf of union workers.  That is, via taxation.  That is, the non-union taxpayer is paying for the pension plans of government workers.  We see what's happening in union states.  Once again, I reference California, where government retirement benefits, including pensions, are the primary reason behind California's deficit.  From Wiki:

A major source of the deficit has been the continuous growth in salaries and benefits of state employees during economic boom times, some of which were lobbied by trade unions.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:11pm

Wrong.

By supporting oil companies less, we are witholding our money & by it's very definition, that is tantamount to casting our vote for them to hurry up & develop something else.

And the point is not that people are just waiting for the oil companies who (according to you, presumably) are supposedly working feverishly around the clock to develop alternative fuel sources, the point is that the oil companies are purposely dragging their feet & standing in the way of alternative fuels being developed because it is in their interest to keep us addicted to the product that has made them trillions in profits over the years. These people are not gonna help kill, or allow someone else to kill, the goose that has layed all those golden eggs for them over the years.

Even though doing that would be the right & responsible thing for them to do.

Unless you used to drive 20,000 miles per year, and no longer do only because of the environmental impact of oil (which I doubt, but only you know that), you're wrong.  There've always been people who drove minimally, and not because of Big Oil.

It's the job of businesses to collect golden eggs.  If the golden egg was being laid by alternative fuel, the oil companies would collect that one.  In the meantime, there are thousands of alternative energy companies.  As we see, many are moving to China to increase profitabilty and collect their golden eggs there.  Many others have simply gone under.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:18pm
FYI...

Per Wikipedia, Chevron is involved in plenty of alternative research and development.  Probably not to "do the right thing", but to invest in its own financial future.

The company is developing technology for alternative energy, including fuel cells, photovoltaics, advanced batteries, and hydrogen fuel for transport and power.

[edit] Electric Vehicles

Chevron may be squelching all access to large NiMH batteries through its control of patent licenses in order to remove a competitor to gasoline.[30] This culminated in a lawsuit against Panasonic and Toyota over production of the EV-95 battery used in the RAV4 EV[citation needed].

However, with the Lithium-ion battery, it appears there will be plenty of gas and electricity for all interested parties for the foreseeable future. Chevron owns Ovonics, the leading producer of Lithium Ion Batteries. Ovonics was purchased by Chevron-Texaco in 2001, reportedly so Chevron-Texaco could expand their business into the emerging hybrid market. But, some in the alternative energy field see an ulterior motive, so Chevron-Texaco can suppress the development of Lithium Ion Batteries. They feel this way because Ovonics has shown little interest in selling Lithium Ion Batteries to electric vehicle enthusiasts since purchasing the company.[31] Nevertheless, Ovonics does continue to work with commercial manufacturers.

[edit] Biofuels

Chevron is investing $300M USD a year into alternative fuel sources, and has created a biofuels business unit.[32][33]

Chevron and US-DOE's National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) announced that they had entered into a collaborative agreement to produce biofuels from algae. Chevron and NREL scientists would develop algae strains that can be economically harvested and processed into transportation fuels, such as jet fuel.[34]

[edit] Solar Power

Chevron has invested in Solar Power such as the 500 kW Solarmine photovoltaic solar project in Fellows, California, as well as the 1000 kW concentrated photovoltaic solar field in Questa, New Mexico.[35]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic