Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I guess I shoulda just called Animal Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I guess I shoulda just called Animal Control
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:36pm
Last night, my neighbor Carolyn and I witnessed a guy and his son down the courtyard next to me, closed-fist punching their dog in the face.  Pow, pow, pow, pow, pow.  The dog is a "deer Chihuahua" (bigger than a regular Chihuahua and not yappy) about a year old, and has been escaping from their backyard.  The owners make little attempt to get her, but she always returns.  Recently, their 11 y/o daughter told me that they make a sport of abusing the dog, sometimes taking it out back and slamming it to the cement.

When I saw this last night, I saw red.  I went right down to the house and knocked on the door.  I said "Did I just see someone punching a dog in the head?"  Of course, they were real defensive.  "You didn't see nothin'"..."She disobeys"..."it's our dog and we can do what we want to it".  That sort of thing.

I told them that they can't do whatever they want to it, and I don't ever wanna see this again, or hear of any abuse.  I didn't mention what their daughter said, as I didn't wanna get her in trouble.

I guess I should've called Animal Control, but I went on emotion (anger).  I simply reacted.  Now, I'm not sure if what I did was right or just stupid, because now if I call Animal Control, he'll know it was me.  I don't need retaliation against my animals (or myself for that matter).  The guy and his sons (at least one of them) are assholes. 

Suggestions?

Not that it matters, but this is a Deer Chihuahua:

Sponsored Links

insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:46pm
Next time she escapes from the yard, take her yourself to a no kill shelter .. with her being only a year old she would surely get adopted by a family who will actually care for  her.  Since these lowlife assholes make no real effort to try and find her when she gets out, they may just figure she ran away for good.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:14pm
That's a good idea, insanity.  She's a frightened little thing, though.  When she'd escaped last night, though, I was in the process of luring her with a bowl of fresh-cooked rigatoni, smothered in chicken and sauce.  I nearly had her.  At that point, though, I was just trying to catch her so that she didn't run down the street into traffic.

One of the things the guy said to me last night was "What??  You want her?"  Though not exactly the sort of dog I'd want (I like bigger dogs), I've considered taking her for myself.  But that would require major changes for my cats.  Plus, I don't trust one of my cats with her.  He's very territorial.

But your suggestion is good.  Even if I have to turn her over to a shelter, she's got her young age going for her.  Plus, chihuahuas are quite desirable these days.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:24pm
OMG Thor, I wish I never read this. I would have marched over to that guy's house with a baseball bat. What kind of a f**king monster is he? And he's creating another generation of the same. Disgusting. Utterly, vomit induicing disgusting.

And he wonders why the pup runs away?
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:37pm
He blames both the dog, and his landlord for not having fixed the fence.  That justifies beating the dog, in his eyes---as if the dog is going to learn anything but to fear coming to his owner when he finally gets retrieved.

If you're going to discipline the dog for escaping, I'm pretty sure you have to do it while the dog's in the process of escaping, not 1/2 hour later.  And even then, it does not mean you get to beat the pooch.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:38pm
Call animal control anyway - in fact, you CAN call the police and animal control. Have his dumb ass spend some time in the can and get stuck paying a fine, along with losing the dog. Maybe the neighbors will rally with you - which would be a very good thing (and very bad for him).

"See Something/Say Something" clearly applies; take a stand - because the critter cannot.

If others on the block have seen this, who is to say someone else didn't finally get sick of seeing the crap? And anyway, if THEY call animal control, the jerk is probably going to come after you, anyway - YOU are sh*t out of luck; might as well make the best of it for everyone.

Damn good thing I didn't see it - I probably would have ended up in jail.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:47pm
I've gotta be careful, Pa.  If he comes after me, it's one thing.  But if he comes after my cats, it's another.  And if he can beat his own dog, he'd have no problem shooting one of my cats.  And dead is dead.  I don't want my animals in that category. 

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 7:55pm
Tell Violet that he's hot for her.  That ought to keep him busy.

Seriously, be careful.  I saw a friend the other night who has been a cop for over 30 years.  He said everyone should have a concealed carry permit today, that people are getting crazier and bolder.  I've never owned a gun and don't intend to buy one, but his words made me think.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:00pm
Confused...well, one can only hope something changes - someone takes a stand - before you catch the drift from the neighbor's back yard, of the poor decomposing doggie.
At least it won't be chasing your cats around anymore, eh?
~~~
At the end of the day:
Neighbor will still be an asshole, still have a gun, and holding the neighborhood hostage.
His kids will know that is the right way to live, too.
Nice place you live in.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:11pm
I'm with Madawee; I have always said that if I got violent with someone it would be because they were hurting a child or an animal.  I had cats for years and years and brought in a dog and my cats didn't love her but they get along okay.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:28pm
bwestfall, that's why I reacted without thinking last night.  I simply saw red and had to do something right then and there.  I think all those abused animal commercials finally just took their toll.

Luckily, I've got a lot of dog and cat lovers in my 'hood.  So, this sort of person is rare...at least where I live.

I think I'm going with insanity's suggestion.  My bro and sis-in-law just emailed me with the same suggestion.  Next time, I'll catch the pooch and turn it over to a no-kill shelter.  Maybe I'll let the cops/Animal Control know what I'm doing first.

Also, this family has a black Labrador that the husband/sons do not abuse, apparently.  The chihuahua seems to be the mother's/daughter's dog.  Makes me wonder if there's something else going on in that house.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 11:42pm
You should probably call the police. I know around here you can report animal and child abuse anonymously - hopefully you can do it where you are as well. Maybe just keep the kitties inside for a little while.

Unfortunately, this really could mean that there's something else going on in the house - one of the forms of domestic abuse is abusing someone's animal in order to hurt that person.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 11:43pm
ConfusedIs that so? What race are the women in that household - 'Black & Blue'? Sounds like you have a real neighborhood problem.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

You should probably call the police. I know around here you can report animal and child abuse anonymously - hopefully you can do it where you are as well. Maybe just keep the kitties inside for a little while.

Unfortunately, this really could mean that there's something else going on in the house - one of the forms of domestic abuse is abusing someone's animal in order to hurt that person.

That's what I was thinking.  The wife said "Go ahead, call Animal Control".  The way she said it was not as if it was a dare.  She said it like she really wanted me to.

My 13 y/o neighbor tells me the guy's an ex-cop, for whatever that's worth.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 1:24am
Last night, my neighbor Carolyn and I witnessed a guy and his son down the courtyard next to me, closed-fist punching their dog in the face.  Pow, pow, pow, pow, pow.  

Hmmm, 2 people punching a small dog isn't discipline. One would smack it "while" the dog is disobeying, not punching.
It would be easier for a suggestion if you didn't let your own cats roam.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Last night, my neighbor Carolyn and I witnessed a guy and his son down the courtyard next to me, closed-fist punching their dog in the face.  Pow, pow, pow, pow, pow.  

Hmmm, 2 people punching a small dog isn't discipline. One would smack it "while" the dog is disobeying, not punching.
It would be easier for a suggestion if you didn't let your own cats roam.

Actually, I didn't make that clear.  The father grabbed the dog and handed it over to his son, telling him to "Punch her in the head".  The son (about 20 y/o) carried the dog towards the house hitting it repeatedly in the head or face.  I was pretty shocked, as was Carolyn.  If I didn't have Carolyn there, I might not have believed what I'd heard or believed what I was seeing.  Not that two people hitting her versus one hitting her makes much difference; the dog probably weighs all of 12 lbs.

But yeah---the cats.  I understand the father has guns, and bows and arrows, though I doubt he knows which of the many neighborhood cats are mine.  There are about 14 cats that belong to people within a few houses of me.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 3:15am
Start keeping your cats inside.

No worries.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:25am
At this point, your best hope is for an earthquake to collapse their house, and for the little dog to escape from the rubble....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:42am
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Tell Violet that he's hot for her.  That ought to keep him busy.

LOL  I missed my chance.  She called tonight, but I didn't pick up the phone.  I never do, but she keeps calling anyway.  It's been several years since I actually spoke with her.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:43am
WinkHey...now here's an idea.
Have you community friends over for 'movietime' with the intention of garnishing ideas about how to deal with the undesireables - watch this movie and take notes from Samuel L. Jackson on "how to be a real asshole"; then just start employing what you learned.
Get rid of the neighborhood cancer.
Maybe you can keep the dogs - dogs are cool
Except Chihuahuas - they are idiots.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 4:54am
That movie was wild.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 5:29am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

All dogs are idiots.

And there's not one that wouldn't eat it's own poop.

Think about that the next time you let one lick you on the mouth.

I hate people who do that.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

All dogs are idiots.

And there's not one that wouldn't eat it's own poop.

Think about that the next time you let one lick you on the mouth.

I hate people who do that.

Dogs don't eat crap, don't choke up furballs and then EAT THEM (which cats will readily do),
I let MissyDWolf lick me in the mouth - she doesn't eat poop or take it from anyone. She sure tries to shove a ton of it down my throat, though.
I let the ol'hotdogs do it - but they won't because they think I'm an idiot, lick myself, and eat poop.
I DO NOT lick myself.
Chihuahuas eat crap and were not blessed with brains...

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:21pm
I love cats and dogs, both (though I would always have to have a cat Wink). I really like all animals alot and don't even want to see animals that scare me killed or harmed.  I guess I just don't understand this, "I hate cats" crap or "I can't stand dogs".  For one, if you don't like them, just don't have anything to do with them.  Most of the time, you don't have them FORCED on you and if you do, its your own fault.  People sound so vicious about it.  This should make some guys mad but years ago I developed a theory about why so many men hate cats: they can't control them.  So, men who hate cats are probably going to be a control freak in relationships, just my opinion.  And I really do have trouble with people who don't like animals; I wouldn't trust them and I would wonder what is wrong with them; no empathy?

And lastly, I can't stand Chelsea Handler.  She has said over and over that she "would eat a cat, no, really I would."  I saw her say it twice on her show (which I soon after stopped watching) and she went on and on.  She sounded like she really would though she probably won't have the opportunity, but, I don't no why she obsessed about hating cats--as I said, no one forces her to have anything to do with them, so get over it!  I have seen a youtube of her cat "rant," and personally, I don't think its funny at all--she's just standing there screaming.  I have wondered what some of her cat-loving A-list new friends would think of it if they even knew.  She may have edited her standup so as not to offend.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:45pm
I've always been a total weakling for animals, bwestfall.  Ever since I was a kid.

Handler can be very funny, but there's just so much of her "self-righteous superiority disguised as self-deprecation" routine I can take.

Update on the chihuhua:  none.  Haven't seen her since Monday.  I dunno if that's good or bad.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic